HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Ouch!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-25-2008, 11:17 AM
  #1
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Ouch!

soccer started last week, and our practices are 7- 10:30 or 11am, so roughly 3 1/2 hours.

We have to do alot of running because coach said he wants to run other team into the ground...
ok, get to the point...

So, last week i pulled my right quad in a shooting game. Then we had to sprint these things called 120's, which made it so much worse.
I iced it all week, and it felt back to normal.
Today in practice I pulled it again so i started shooting with my left foot. I ended up pulling that quad too.
I ran on it all practice, and now it feels like someone is digging a knife into my thigh and pulling it up and down.

anyone have any advice? My coaches said to take it easy and ice it, the heat it.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:20 AM
  #2
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
The only thing you can do is do moving stretches and just play through it. I am playing varsity soccer too and experience the same thing. Everything gets pulled.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
  #3
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
The only thing you can do is do moving stretches and just play through it. I am playing varsity soccer too and experience the same thing. Everything gets pulled.
I know what you mean. Its quite painful.
I dont stop playing unless there is serious pain involved.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
  #4
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,452
vCash: 500
I feel you man. I'm in the same situation. I have practice everyday for the next 2 weeks from 8am-11:30am and then come back for 1pm-3pm. IT'S HELL!!!

We actually have a pro athletic trainer, so he pretty much takes care of our tweaks and pulls.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
  #5
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,344
vCash: 500
I hate any quad related injuries. I tore my right one over 5 years ago and it's still a *****. All I can recommend is to keep icing it and every few days gradually stretch it

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 04:28 PM
  #6
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,421
vCash: 500
Snort an oxy 80 before practices...you wont feel any pain











oh, and you wont be able to run either and will probabley vomit and go into a drug-induced seizure....

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
  #7
adria
Registered User
 
adria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Ugh I did that in high school - game #2 of a 4 game tournament I pulled one quad in the first half, and the other quad in the 2nd half. I played the other games until I had to pull myself out of the 4th game. Luckily for me it was the year-end soccer tournament and I only had a couple field hockey games left. I had some problems the following season, and my quads still aren't the same. But I also wasn't as active once I got to university - just intramural (semi-competitive) sports.

Have you considered physio? A good physiotherapist might be able to help you out...

adria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 04:43 PM
  #8
Zeus54
Trollololol
 
Zeus54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on tilt
Posts: 6,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelCor View Post
I feel you man. I'm in the same situation. I have practice everyday for the next 2 weeks from 8am-11:30am and then come back for 1pm-3pm. IT'S HELL!!!

We actually have a pro athletic trainer, so he pretty much takes care of our tweaks and pulls.
Just be glad you guys that play soccer are not football players in August. Seriously, running in pads and a helmet in extreme heat with the sun beating down on you sucks major balls. Not to mention, your whole body is sore from doing physical drills all day. I had about 30 bruises all over my arms freshman year. So happy I don't have to go through that anymore. And i'm pretty sure football practices have gotten worse since I left the team. Pre-2007 August practices ran from 8am to 1:30pm (a break in between). And I think they have practice from 7am to 3pm now.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 04:50 PM
  #9
SlowShot
Registered User
 
SlowShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Cameroon
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Just be glad you guys that play soccer are not football players in August. Seriously, running in pads and a helmet in extreme heat with the sun beating down on you sucks major balls. Not to mention, your whole body is sore from doing physical drills all day. I had about 30 bruises all over my arms freshman year. So happy I don't have to go through that anymore. And i'm pretty sure football practices have gotten worse since I left the team. Pre-2007 August practices ran from 8am to 1:30pm (a break in between). And I think they have practice from 7am to 3pm now.
I used to hate football practices in the heat but if defiantly beats the hail. Practicing or playing in the hail is the worst. Your body is so cold every hit hurts so bad and catching the ball was a hell.


Last edited by SlowShot: 08-25-2008 at 08:14 PM.
SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
  #10
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Stretch in the shower if its your quad. I pulled it really bad last year over the summer in Hockey, and i stretched in the shower and after about 2-3 days it felt so much better, it wasnt 100%, but it definetly got better.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
  #11
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Snort an oxy 80 before practices...you wont feel any pain











oh, and you wont be able to run either and will probabley vomit and go into a drug-induced seizure....
I just died of laughter....

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
  #12
sjsharky
Registered User
 
sjsharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mendocino Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 7,511
vCash: 500
Yea, stretch it alot, but make sure you warm up a little BEFORE you stretch it..otherwise it will do more harm then good. I would drop in a word to the coach that is hurting so he knows you can't do 100%

Do you warm up before you shoot? Shooting cold is a good way to hurt yourself..

sjsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
  #13
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharky View Post
Yea, stretch it alot, but make sure you warm up a little BEFORE you stretch it..otherwise it will do more harm then good. I would drop in a word to the coach that is hurting so he knows you can't do 100%

Do you warm up before you shoot? Shooting cold is a good way to hurt yourself..
Its better now, but still kills to shoot the ball and sprint.
We warm up (usually 2 laps), then stretch, then do a 12 minute (how many laps you can fit in) run, scrimmage, take a break, run 2 more warm up laps, stretch, scrimmage.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:30 PM
  #14
whatsbruin
Registered User
 
whatsbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcallahan24 View Post
My coaches said to take it easy and ice it, the heat it.
When I was in phys Therapy, the rule was to heat it prior to use, and
ice it after.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
  #15
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Just be glad you guys that play soccer are not football players in August. Seriously, running in pads and a helmet in extreme heat with the sun beating down on you sucks major balls. Not to mention, your whole body is sore from doing physical drills all day. I had about 30 bruises all over my arms freshman year. So happy I don't have to go through that anymore. And i'm pretty sure football practices have gotten worse since I left the team. Pre-2007 August practices ran from 8am to 1:30pm (a break in between). And I think they have practice from 7am to 3pm now.
Soccer practices could be pretty rough as well.... It's just running and windsprints all day... So much cardio was done (3-4 mile runs, wind sprints, suicides, crab walks, karaokes etc.-and my school's program was extremely weak). Don't knock the conditioning of soccer players-those US suburban schools run bootcamps for their players.

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:19 PM
  #16
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I just died of laughter....


Gobias Industries, as in go buy us some coffee... - Tobias

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:23 PM
  #17
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
You have 3 hour practices?
That's a bit long isn't it...

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
  #18
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
We never had any time off...so you never got the "shock" practice.

You just went and part of the way through...looked up at the sky and went "I hate my life."

__________________
"I channeled my inner Morneau, took the stick and hit the mother****** to the moooon!"
Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:36 PM
  #19
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
We never had any time off...so you never got the "shock" practice.

You just went and part of the way through...looked up at the sky and went "I hate my life."

HAHA that was awesome Reminds me of that scene from Superbad when McLovin goes to buy beer and drops the 6-pack and the employee comes and asks him "did you do this" and he's like "no, you better come clean this up could hurt somebody" then employee looks up "I hate my life."

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
  #20
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
HAHA that was awesome Reminds me of that scene from Superbad when McLovin goes to buy beer and drops the 6-pack and the employee comes and asks him "did you do this" and he's like "no, you better come clean this up could hurt somebody" then employee looks up "I hate my life."
It was so true though.

When you realized that you'd been at the lake/river since 6:30 am...and you just got off the water at 10am you go "Wow. I hate my life."

And then you pumped in as many calories as possible, took a nap, and started again at 12:30.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 05:26 PM
  #21
Lee Van Cleef*
 
Lee Van Cleef*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
So with those long practices, how do you fit in school classes?

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
  #22
Airborne Troll*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,862
vCash: 500
Dude, it ****ing sucks for you! You can't really do anything about it, you just have to wait! I have big problems with my groin too and it always gets pulled

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:14 PM
  #23
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
So with those long practices, how do you fit in school classes?
School days went: 5am-8:30am, then 12-1:30, then 4:30-7pm

Summer went: 6:30-9...extra practice...9-10:30. 12:30-2 - weights/running. 3-5 on water.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:29 PM
  #24
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble
 
SUBdrewgANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,435
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcallahan24 View Post
Its better now, but still kills to shoot the ball and sprint.
We warm up (usually 2 laps), then stretch, then do a 12 minute (how many laps you can fit in) run, scrimmage, take a break, run 2 more warm up laps, stretch, scrimmage.
that is a pretty weak practice compared to my practices in high school.. we started with 2 warm up laps,

stretch

we had cone drills sprint to one cone stop then do live taps to the next cone, jog to the next one, leave the ball at that cone, jog back to the last cone, sprint to the ball pick it up and got to the next cone, then jog back to the beggining.. and we had to do this about 4 or 5 times

then we would scrimmage, or do shooting drills, or some other drill

then we had to run up this really steep hill at our school with a ball.. and back down it like 3 times

then we had a break

then we did 2 laps

scrimmaged and drills..

our coach pounded us to the ground.. probably why we won our league though..

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
  #25
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS View Post
that is a pretty weak practice compared to my practices in high school.. we started with 2 warm up laps,

stretch

we had cone drills sprint to one cone stop then do live taps to the next cone, jog to the next one, leave the ball at that cone, jog back to the last cone, sprint to the ball pick it up and got to the next cone, then jog back to the beggining.. and we had to do this about 4 or 5 times

then we would scrimmage, or do shooting drills, or some other drill

then we had to run up this really steep hill at our school with a ball.. and back down it like 3 times

then we had a break

then we did 2 laps

scrimmaged and drills..

our coach pounded us to the ground.. probably why we won our league though..
thats alot more then our guys team does.
We (girls) show up at 7 and leave at 10:30-11ish. The guys show up at 8:30 and end at 10:00, and we share a field with them and they never do any work.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.