HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Teen shootings

Old
08-26-2008, 08:55 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
I'm glad I grew up in an area and a time where guns and knives weren't common place in the high schools. Who knows what kind of trouble I could have gotten into if I had said the wrong thing to the wrong person.
Now, it's not even about saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, but you have to make sure you aren't in the wrong place at the wrong time. In my old neighbourhood, which btw is a very nice upper-middle class neighboorhood, there's this park and forest where we all used to play in when we were kids. Whether it was during the day or in the evening you could always find other kids to play with there. Now, its sheer stupidity to enter either the park or the forest once its gone dark. While, you probably won't be killed, chances are really high that you will be mugged and even stabbed.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:59 PM
LTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Now, it's not even about saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, but you have to make sure you aren't in the wrong place at the wrong time. In my old neighbourhood, which btw is a very nice upper-middle class neighboorhood, there's this park and forest where we all used to play in when we were kids. Whether it was during the day or in the evening you could always find other kids to play with there. Now, its sheer stupidity to enter either the park or the forest once its gone dark. While, you probably won't be killed, chances are really high that you will be mugged and even stabbed.
That's ****ed up.

East end or West end?

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
fancy dan*

Quote:
Youth crime: Slight decline in the youth crime rate

About 176,000 youth aged 12 to 17 were accused of a criminal offence last year. This includes youth who were either formally charged by police or dealt with by other means such as a warning, caution, or referral to a diversionary program.

The youth crime rate, which has remained relatively stable over the past decade, declined 1.5% in 2007 following a 3.3% increase in 2006. The 2007 drop was due to a decrease in non-violent crimes.

The youth violent crime rate remained stable in 2007 after increasing steadily over the past two decades. The 2007 rate was more than double the rate reported in the mid-1980s.

canadian study. full article here: http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/080717/d080717b.htm

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
As much as I hate to say it because I do listen to hip hop myself, growing up with these kids, they have all adopted the hip hop/rap culture. It's staggering to see how all of these teenagers actually walk around and act like they grew up in some sort of ghetto, getting in fights, selling drugs, and I'm not talking about just marijuana here. Little 15 and 16 year olds around here have started getting into really hard drugs. I don't understand why it seems to be getting worse to be in the suburbs rather than in the city.

Now, the fights aren't just being settled with fists. But, with knives and guns. It's to the point that unless you have a weapon of some sort theres no point in even saying anything to anyone because you won't win a fight without a weapon.
I did most of my growing up in a very up scale suburban town; kids in these kinds of places have more free time, less responsibility and more money than they know what to do with. Some people drink/do drugs to escape the harshness of reality, these kids do it because they are bored.

Here's another short story:
My high school had two campuses, South and North. South is where normal school programs happened, we even had french immersion, ESL, IB and stuff like that. North is where the tech kids went, Auto Shop, Wood Shop, Landscaping, etc. Now, suffice it to say, there were WAY more discipline problems at north campus. Anyways, there was a drug deal that went down between two guys (not uncommon here), and I guess it went bad because they started fighting. It got broken up pretty quickly by the security staff that monitor the halls.

Later that day, one of the guys is out in front of South Campus, smoking with his friends when, all of a sudden, a bunch of black Lexus SUVs pull up and these guys in nice shirts with like gold chains and sunglasses and such (like they were just at a club or something), pile out and start fighting the smoking kids. There were some chains and knives but no one was seriously hurt as far I know. We were all inside and forced to go into lock down about 3 minutes after the fight started.

I get that in some places, people need to use/traffic drugs to survive or be safe in a gang (who else will protect you, right?); but seriously sub urb kids are targeted because they have so much free money to spend. Both parents likely work, no one keeps an eye on the kid, they can do this stuff with no immediate consequence and they look cool and feel good. It's really quite sad, but again, it won't change until REAL gangs show up.

Oh, I also wanted to get some info on this. I heard from a colleague at work that LA gangs have recently moved to Oshawa to start new chapters and the crime rate is going way up around there. Is there any truth to this? He claims this is what he saw/heard when he taught at a high school there.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:29 PM
007madden007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Isn't that blaming the cause but not looking at the effect? The cool thing to do on the internet is to blame the parents, but no one ever bothers to try digging into why parenting has become so bad.
No fault divorce.

007madden007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:34 PM
tylerbear*

Let these teens continue to off one another. It's less of a problem we'll have to deal with later on, as taxpayers, and as civilians.

I know it's heartless, but I could care less.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermajesty View Post
Let these teens continue to off one another. It's less of a problem we'll have to deal with later on, as taxpayers, and as civilians.

I know it's heartless, but I could care less.
And if a stray bullet hits you/your kid/your wife/loved one?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:21 AM
in on the beat

You guys sound like a bunch of grannies. I work with teen's all the time and if they're not respectful towards you, you really only have yourself to blame. Show them who's boss.

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
tylerbear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
And if a stray bullet hits you/your kid/your wife/loved one?
Then we'll talk.

It's not that I don't care, I used to care. I used to read all about it, and wonder what was wrong. But as time went on, and it continued to happen on a daily basis and things continued to go further south, i stopped caring as much. and now, i'm to the point where I really don't care at all.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
I did most of my growing up in a very up scale suburban town; kids in these kinds of places have more free time, less responsibility and more money than they know what to do with. Some people drink/do drugs to escape the harshness of reality, these kids do it because they are bored.

Here's another short story:
My high school had two campuses, South and North. South is where normal school programs happened, we even had french immersion, ESL, IB and stuff like that. North is where the tech kids went, Auto Shop, Wood Shop, Landscaping, etc. Now, suffice it to say, there were WAY more discipline problems at north campus. Anyways, there was a drug deal that went down between two guys (not uncommon here), and I guess it went bad because they started fighting. It got broken up pretty quickly by the security staff that monitor the halls.

Later that day, one of the guys is out in front of South Campus, smoking with his friends when, all of a sudden, a bunch of black Lexus SUVs pull up and these guys in nice shirts with like gold chains and sunglasses and such (like they were just at a club or something), pile out and start fighting the smoking kids. There were some chains and knives but no one was seriously hurt as far I know. We were all inside and forced to go into lock down about 3 minutes after the fight started.

I get that in some places, people need to use/traffic drugs to survive or be safe in a gang (who else will protect you, right?); but seriously sub urb kids are targeted because they have so much free money to spend. Both parents likely work, no one keeps an eye on the kid, they can do this stuff with no immediate consequence and they look cool and feel good. It's really quite sad, but again, it won't change until REAL gangs show up.

Oh, I also wanted to get some info on this. I heard from a colleague at work that LA gangs have recently moved to Oshawa to start new chapters and the crime rate is going way up around there. Is there any truth to this? He claims this is what he saw/heard when he taught at a high school there.
White Oaks Secondary School?

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote