Notices

Rookie tournament in Camrose

Old
09-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Hyde

vCash: 500
Here is what Playfair thought of some of our Rookies:

Quote:
John's got a lot of poise in his game. I think his demeanour, when you get to know him and talk to him a little bit, you can see where his game reflects his personality -- he's very calm, he's pretty confident," associate coach Jim Playfair said of Negrin
Personally I thought Negrin looked good the first night better the second and I'm not surprised that he is still in Calgary.

Another one:
Quote:
"The thing about Brodie is that he can skate so well — with his head up," said Playfair. "He's as fast with the puck as he is without the puck. Lots of times, players seem to slow down when they push the puck around the ice. That's what makes Brodie so good — he can skate with the puck, he makes good plays. He's a real, real nice player."

Brodie could be a gem, but I guess we'll have to wait and see but he sure looked good those two games.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 07:43 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
Hey this is a bit old now, meant to post last week and forgot...

We had Jamie Thomas on the show to talk Flames rookie-wannabes for this season. Like me, he's a big fan of the goalies but I'm interested to hear your take on some of the other things we touch on.

Archive is available here including podcast via the RSS feed.

my brief take on the CGY/EDM game: two best Flames were keetley (by far) and Wahl. I was fairly disappointed in Backlund, barely noticed him accomplish anything.

Thanks for posting that. Just a couple things. First Sutter has said Backlund will only be playing with the flames in a top 6 role. Definetly won't be playing on the bottom 6 so he'll need to have a pretty good camp to make the team. Puustinen is no longer flames property(although there have been mixed reports) and he definetly won't be at camp this year.

What did you think of Negrin from the game on Sunday Guy? I assume you have seen him a lot over his junior career as well. What do you think of him?

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
What did you think of Negrin from the game on Sunday Guy? I assume you have seen him a lot over his junior career as well. What do you think of him?
I liked Negrin. I liked him in his draft year too and took him in my keeper league (have a lot of Flames for some reason... Keetley and Irving too.)

When Kootenay was here last year, saw them twice I think, I really didn't notice him much at all. His stats were terrific though so I'm hoping to see him play good games this year. I think he's a bit of a sleeper pick, perhaps a bit of a late bloomer.

09-19-2008, 12:46 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
I liked Negrin. I liked him in his draft year too and took him in my keeper league (have a lot of Flames for some reason... Keetley and Irving too.)

When Kootenay was here last year, saw them twice I think, I really didn't notice him much at all. His stats were terrific though so I'm hoping to see him play good games this year. I think he's a bit of a sleeper pick, perhaps a bit of a late bloomer.
I went to one of the Kootenay games against the Oil Kings and I didn't notice him much either. Big fan of him though and thought he looked great in the 2 games in Camrose.

Any idea at all why he wasn't invited to the Team Canada camp during the summer? Think he has a chance to make the team?

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:37 AM
JiriHrdina

Quote:
Hey this is a bit old now, meant to post last week and forgot...

We had Jamie Thomas on the show to talk Flames rookie-wannabes for this season. Like me, he's a big fan of the goalies but I'm interested to hear your take on some of the other things we touch on.

Archive is available here including podcast via the RSS feed.

my brief take on the CGY/EDM game: two best Flames were keetley (by far) and Wahl. I was fairly disappointed in Backlund, barely noticed him accomplish anything.
My take on Backlund - was good in the 1st game, particularly in the 2nd period. Wasn't as good in the 2nd game.

In general though I think a lot of the skilled players were hurt by the ice. For the guy who's just slapping it high and hard to clear the zone, or skating to the redline before chipping it in deep - bad ice isn't a huge deal. For the skilled players trying to dangle, or make tough passes - it impacts their game a lot more.

I think expectations for Backlund right now are too high. I wasn't expecting him to dominate the tourney - but rather I was simply looking for an idea of what his tool kit is - and in that sense I was pleased - good skating, good passer, and nice vision. And a heckuva a host when he unloads it.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote