HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Find a 4th D for Mtl

Old
08-28-2008, 06:33 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He still has some, as at the end of this year he either does, or he's gone for good, like Korneev.
Korneev isn't gone for good. McGuire talked about him during the World Championships. He said something about Korneev finishing his contract (this season) and that he wanted to play in the NHL next year.

From interviews with Timmins' it also seems like Korneev wants to come over.. but he wants a guaranteed NHL spot.. which I think the Habs should give him.. worst case scenario, he fails and goes home.. best case, he's a top-4 defenseman.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Korneev isn't gone for good. McGuire talked about him during the World Championships. He said something about Korneev finishing his contract (this season) and that he wanted to play in the NHL next year.

From interviews with Timmins' it also seems like Korneev wants to come over.. but he wants a guaranteed NHL spot.. which I think the Habs should give him.. worst case scenario, he fails and goes home.. best case, he's a top-4 defenseman.
I believe the poster was saying we have one more chance at both Korneev and Emelin next summer as their contracts expire. (which is true)

If they aren't willing to sign next summer, they will likely never come over.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUCKER4LIFE19 View Post
bieksa is worth way more than a 3rd liner (potential 2nd liner) like higgins.... bieksa is undervalued because of his injuries last season
Gillis can keep Bieksa then. We'll keep our 25-30 goals' scorer.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Considering he was a top 30 scoring LW last season, playing with Koivu on the Habs 2nd line, Higgins is alot more than a 3rd liner. He's already a great 2nd liner. He may or may not be worth Bieksa, and I'm not going to argue that point, but at least get Higgins right. He'd clearly be one of Vancouver's 6 best forwards as the rosters stand now.
I never realized "30th best LW" was something to be proud of.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Are you serious? How is that not a good thing, when he's being called a 3rd liner by some?

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shao01 View Post
Montreal is looking for a 4th D and is willing to give up the following:

Emelin+2nd in '09+?

For

Boucher/Bieksa/Klesla/Van Ryan/Backman/Mckee/?

More picks/prospects could be added but nothing too great

Any thoughts?
Emelin is interesting but the problem is that he probably won't come over in NA... You would have to give a prospect closer to the NHL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Emelin's value is close to ZERO.

the guy might never come over.
Ya, i would also like my favorite team to trade all their russian prospects to get acutal NHL players, and particulary a Top-4 D-man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Higgins for Bieksa straight up doesn't make sense for the Habs!
??? You underate Bieksa or you overate Higgins severely

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
He was being called a 3rd liner by said poster. Considering there are 90 top 3 line LW's in the NHL and Higgins was ranked in the top 30, it would indicated that Higgins is much better than a 3rd liner as indicated by said poster. That was my point. His production indicates he's an above average 2nd liner, or below average 1st liner.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

Bieksa has one good year to his credit and has some unresolved injury concerns. Higgins has three good years to his credit and has improved each year and is 2 years younger.

Old
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Bieksa has one good year to his credit, Higgins has three has improved each year and Higgins is 2 years younger.
Higgins hasn't really improved from 2006-07. He was just injured that year.

2006-07: 61 GP 38 PTS 0.62 PPG
2007-08: 82 GP 52 PTS 0.63 PPG

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shao01 View Post
Montreal is looking for a 4th D and is willing to give up the following:

Emelin+2nd in '09+?

For

Boucher/Bieksa/Klesla/Van Ryan/Backman/Mckee/?

More picks/prospects could be added but nothing too great

Any thoughts?

We don't need a defencemen......we need help at center. If we are going to make any moves.....it should be to aquire a centerman and not an overpaid defencemen.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
ok well enough about higgins again.

Watch him proves he's a legit star next year and everybody shut up. Thank you!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

IMO, having watched him play, he was better. He's become a much more well rounded player. Also, he's improved his knack for getting good scoring opportunities. With more luck and patience, I could see him becoming a 35 goal man. You can't really quanify those traits.

That said, if I knew Bieksa was going to play at his 2006-7 form, I'd trade Higgins for him in a heartbeat. But until he proves he over his injury problems, I wouldn't do that deal from a Habs perspective.

Old
08-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Bieksa has one good year to his credit and has some unresolved injury concerns. Higgins has three good years to his credit and has improved each year and is 2 years younger.
Everybody knows that Bieksa got injured badly last year...

Higgins : 225 GP 72 G 56 A 128 PTS -12... 0.57 PTS/G as a 1st liner most of the time
Bieksa : 154 GP 14 G 46 A 60 PTS -11... 0.39 PTS/G as a defenseman

Bieksa fights, plays his heart on his sleeve... I would take him over Higgins in a heart-beat... Higgins played most of the time on the the Habs first line... He's putting around 40-50 pts a year since? wow

Quote:
IMO, having watched him play, he was better. He's become a much more well rounded player. Also, he's improved his knack for getting good scoring opportunities. With more luck and patience, I could see him becoming a 35 goal man. You can't really quanify those traits.

That said, if I knew Bieksa was going to play at his 2006-7 form, I'd trade Higgins for him in a heartbeat. But until he proves he over his injury problems, I wouldn't do that deal from a Habs perspective.
Ya, as long as he gets 1st line ice-time, he would end-up scoring 30-35 goals and get around 60-65 pts... Not bad for a first liner
The Kostystin's, Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, Tanguay before Higgins IMO

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Washington sits at $58.955M (nhlnumber.com) so they need to shed $2.255M by the start of the season.

To Montreal:
Tom Poti $3.5M for 3 years
To Washington:
Prospect and/or pick (not much room to take on salary)
And again, to the informed, discuss. To the uninformed, bash away!
As been said before elsewhere and by others, no matter his past performance, Poti was solid for D.C. I can't envision a reasonable scenario where they'd move him, much less for a paltry return.

Last edited by Marshall: 08-28-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I know Kevin Bieksa's brother. That is all.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Everybody knows that Bieksa got injured badly last year...

Higgins : 225 GP 72 G 56 A 128 PTS -12... 0.57 PTS/G as a 1st liner most of the time
Bieksa : 154 GP 14 G 46 A 60 PTS -11... 0.39 PTS/G as a defenseman

Bieksa fights, plays his heart on his sleeve... I would take him over Higgins in a heart-beat... Higgins played most of the time on the the Habs first line... He's putting around 40-50 pts a year since? wow
First of all Higgins is a scorer, not a playmaker. If you want to evaluate his job, check his goals, not his total points.

2005-2006: Second best scorers on the Habs (23 goals).
2006-2007: Third best scorers on the Habs (22 goals) in only 61 games.
2007-2008: Third best scorers on the Habs (27 goals).

Higgins really play on the first line? For your information, our first line A Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev last year. Higgins played on the second and third line with second PP unit time.

Yea and Bieska was absolutely amazing last year. A AMAZING -11 in 34 games ! And with Luongo in net ! Even Patrice Brisebois did better than that. And his 12 points in 34 games is not particularly exciting either.

Quote:
Ya, as long as he gets 1st line ice-time, he would end-up scoring 30-35 goals and get around 60-65 pts... Not bad for a first liner
The Kostystin's, Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, Tanguay before Higgins IMO
2005-2006: Second best scorers on the Habs (23 goals).
2006-2007: Third best scorers on the Habs (22 goals) in only 61 games.
2007-2008: Third best scorers on the Habs (27 goals).

And while playing on the second and third line. This guy had a major slump, was sometime playing on the third line and still manage to get 27 goals, while playing a two way games with a lot of PK time ! Oh and yes Higgins plays plays his heart on his sleeve too. And he is only 25.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Shamrock1989

Send a message via AIM to Shamrock1989
I like Krajicek from Vancouver and I don't really have a reason why. This really doesn't have much to do with this thread. Vancouver fans, can you tell me about Krajicek because I barely ever get to see him play. Could he play 2nd pairing minutes effectively? I only remember seeing him in the Anaheim Vancouver playoff series and he seemed solid.

Shamrock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Neither. I'm a Habs' fan living in BC. I get to see a lot of both players. Forget the stats, I wouldn't pull the trigger on a one for one deal between Higgins and Bieksa. Montreal would get shafted in that deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
As been said before elsewhere and by others, no matter his past performance, Poti was solid for D.C. I can't envision a reasonable scenario where they'd move him, much less for a paltry return.
Agreed that he's played well in DC but really, who will they move to clear cap space? Aside from Poti, maybe Nylander? Not much after that.

Old
08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
shao01

What about Philip Boucher from Dallas? Would he be a viable option? I always liked the way he played.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 05:23 PM
AK

Please. Take Sydor. You can have him for free.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 05:28 PM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWGRD View Post
Please. Take Sydor. You can have him for free.
Dandenault for Sydor or no deal

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

So I guess he sucks and has already achieved his ceiling at the age of 25.

He got the "A" on his jersey and improved in many other aspects of his game other than his points per game, he lost his confidence for stretches last year which resulted in missed scoring chances but as he gets older he should gain more consistency.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Agreed that he's played well in DC but really, who will they move to clear cap space? Aside from Poti, maybe Nylander? Not much after that.
First off, rumors of the Caps' being massively over the cap are exaggerated. Brian Pothier's $2.5 million are likely to be on the LTIR. Chris Clark's health seems to be improving, but he's coming off a serious groin injury, and that doesn't make for a certain situation.

Secondly, other pieces that may be moved are not limited to Nylander. Viktor Kozlov's $2.5 million has been suggested as a possible trade piece, as well, though only through speculation. Karl Alzner can start in Hershey, taking his number off the books. It's been speculated the Caps will only carry 22 players on the roster. It's not a "get bent over for cap space" scenario.

Your proposal is cap space-oriented. Thus, it's not in the cards, with the Caps' most solid all-around defenseman being traded for scraps.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

here is where I must disagree. I thought Higgins in 06/07 pre-injury was great. He was looking like a selke winner and since then he has taken a slight step back imo.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
First off, rumors of the Caps' being massively over the cap are exaggerated. Brian Pothier's $2.5 million are likely to be on the LTIR. Chris Clark's health seems to be improving, but he's coming off a serious groin injury, and that doesn't make for a certain situation.

Secondly, other pieces that may be moved are not limited to Nylander. Viktor Kozlov's $2.5 million has been suggested as a possible trade piece, as well, though only through speculation. Karl Alzner can start in Hershey, taking his number off the books. It's been speculated the Caps will only carry 22 players on the roster. It's not a "get bent over for cap space" scenario.

Your proposal is cap space-oriented. Thus, it's not in the cards, with the Caps' most solid all-around defenseman being traded for scraps.
First off, I never said that Washington was "massively" over the cap so I don't know where the exaggeration comes from, but certainly not from me. I've simply pointed out to nhlnumbers.com stating that according to that site, the Capitals are sitting at $58.955 million and I've stated the FACT that they MUST be under the $56.7 cap limit by the time the puck drops to start the season.

How they're going to do it is pure speculations, whether it's on my part, on yours or on anyone else who dares trying to predict the future without that elusive crystal ball. Are there other options? Absolutely. The one I've stated, although unlikely according to you (and I can respect that), is only one option, no matter how realistic it may be.