HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Major Differences between D1,D2,D3

Old
10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
might be a dumb question, but is it all possible to tryout for a d3 or d1 team without actually attending the school first?
I don't think it is, but not 100% sure.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM12 View Post
Thanks guys. I think the tryouts are for both teams and they just set the rosters accordingly. Missed em for this year, didnt think about it till it was too late. didn't know they started in late September. But next year!
I first clicked on this thinking it was the movies...
Ok 1st, Not to be rude but if you are asking what the level of play is like than you're probably not good enough to play on NCAA Div I, (II),or III.

2nd- Schools aren't allowed to have two sports teams in different divisions of the same sport. So there's a couple possibilities a) Your school has a NCAA DIII team and an ACHA/Club DII team. b) or your school has a ACHA DI or II team and an ACHA DIII team.

3rd- IF you do plan on trying out next year to any of the teams Club or NCAA, I suggest work on stick handing, power skating, strength and conditioning, etc. You have to be in top shape in any college league to be able to go out almost everyday and play fast hard hitting hockey and still go to classes, work, other club meetings, etc...

Old
10-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
might be a dumb question, but is it all possible to tryout for a d3 or d1 team without actually attending the school first?
Unless you plan on making hockey your career, picking a school by its hockey team over its academics isn't a very good move.

But if your a Sr. in HS what you want to do is go on college visits and go to a practice with team. We have kids all year come in all year who practice with us in the afternoon then hang around campus for the evening then stay over with a member of the team and depart in the afternoon the next day. Maybe sit in on a class or 2.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown View Post
then its under the table. because i know for a fact a guy is going to salem state and getting 60% of it paid for.
yeah NCAA has no "athletic scholarships but they get around it by giving academic scholarships...

Old
12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
D1: vs Hawks
D2: vs Iceland
D3: vs Varsity

They're all pretty much the same, but they're fun movies, nonetheless.
When I opened this thread I was wondering how many posts it would take for a Mighty Ducks reference. Good play

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 01:39 AM
kmd mode

skill level pretty much is ranked in this order.

NCAA Div I
NCAA Div III
ACHA CLUB Div I
ACHA CLUB Div II
ACHA CLUB div III

most ACHA club Div I teams can keep up with NCAA div III teams but the best of div III ncaa would most likely beat ACHA club divI

kmd mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown View Post
D1 you can recieve full ride scholarships
D3 i think the max is 60%

D1 basically every team is good, and is much more national regarded. With D3 you have schools like oswega who are just dominant every year and could compete with the good D1 schools, only dont because of their size.
Not sure it has anything to do with the Enrollment/Size of school. I am pretty sure if you compare something like RPI's Enrollment (5,300) and Oswego's (8,200) it may be somewhat clear. There are a bunch of teams in DIII that i think could make the Jump to DI, but there are other things to consider when they make that decision, mainly money unfortunately.

And as far as Barns, RIT has the largest facility in the Atlantic (2100), so that is not necessarily the case either. Some DIII teams have larger facilities

Also There are some DI schools that are not allowed to offer Athletic Scholarships. RIT cannot simply because they would have to make other sports jump to DI (womens Hockey or some other womens team) in order to offer them.

As for how they get around the Athletic Scholarships; Some private schools are able to offer Financial Aid on top of the regular Academic Scholarships.

Edit: Maybe a club team player can correct me on this, but i have heard that they do not get all that much funding from the schools, and often times have to either pay their way, or have fundraisers to get by.

Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 12-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:02 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:

thats was exactly what i was thinking when i saw this thread. i wish i had noticed it earlier to have beaten you to it. lol

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Superman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post

Edit: Maybe a club team player can correct me on this, but i have heard that they do not get all that much funding from the schools, and often times have to either pay their way, or have fundraisers to get by.
This is correct. I played DII club and the school gave us some funding and we had to come up with the rest. We did a few fund raisers throughout the year to come up with some of it. Most of the time we had to pay a few hundred out of pocket, which was much less than I had to pay out of pocket for high school.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:00 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

I have to say: I don't think I've ever in my tenure here laughed out loud at a post, but you sir, have done the job.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote