HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Im so happy to hear this!

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Im so happy to hear this!

General manager Bob Gainey is unlikely to make a trade to bring in a major player, wanting to stick to the youth movement, so the Habs need to snap out of their funk in a hurry if they're going to hold off Buffalo.

source- tsn.ca

Why am i happy, because gainey is not gonna trade away any prospects, in particular hossa and hainsey who have a ton of potential. I was just waiting to see this type of comment, and it finally came.

WE ARE IN A YOUTH MOVEMENT, and i dont think that we should start trading for core players untill atleast 2-3 years down the road. Atleast by then we will have a better idea of who is on the road to success or failure. Our prospects are way to young to start giving up on them. Ive been saying this for weeks, that gainey will NOT trade away prospects.

If this results in no playoffs this year, then so be it.

Phew, that feels good

Peace!

Last edited by Mooch: 02-22-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old
02-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
General manager Bob Gainey is unlikely to make a trade to bring in a major player, wanting to stick to the youth movement, so the Habs need to snap out of their funk in a hurry if they're going to hold off Buffalo.

source- tsn.ca

Why am i happy, because gainey is not gonna trade away any prospects, in particular hossa and hainsey who have a ton of potential. I was just waiting to see this type of comment, and it finally came.

WE ARE IN A YOUTH MOVEMENT, and i dont think that we should start trading for core players untill atleast 2-3 years down the road. Atleast by then we will have a better idea of who is on the road to success or failure. Our prospects are way to young to start giving up on them. Ive been saying this for weeks, that gainey will NOT trade away prospects.

If this results in no playoffs this year, then so be it.

Phew, that feels good

Peace!

Start calling up the youth then. theres no need for theses veterans playing now. why did he wait this long (if he does start playing the youth) to say this?

Old
02-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Sonik

Exactly.

So what if Habs don't make the playoffs this year? They'll win the cup in a couple of years...

Old
02-22-2004, 05:42 PM
jcpenny

If it is true then Hossa,Balej and Hainsey would be with the big club. I dont believe that for a second.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
Start calling up the youth then. theres no need for theses veterans playing now. why did he wait this long (if he does start playing the youth) to say this?
Ah common raider

You gona send down 10-15 million dollars in vets to the minors. We cant just bring in all the prospects like hossa, hainsey, Balej, etc. Every young team has some vets to guide the younger players. Plus after this season many vets will be gone.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
If it is true then Hossa,Balej and Hainsey would be with the big club. I dont believe that for a second.
if it isnt true, Hossa, Hainsey, balej and perezhogin should still be with the club.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
I really doubt there will be many callups at this point of the season. By saying that the Habs are in a youth movement, BG is essentially saying that they're not looking to trade away their prospects for quick fixes (aka rent-a-players).

The veterans on the team aren't going anywhere until their contracts are up at season's end. We are in the midsts of a playoff race... can you seriously see Higgins, Balej and Perezhogin in the lineup at this point? Or Hainsey? As much as I would like to see them, the Habs can't risk the "rookie mistakes" these rookies will inevitably make.

As a wise man once said, "Patience, grasshopper".

Old
02-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Mooch

You guys dont seriously think that all our propects are ready to make the big jump, DO YOU. I mean get real, playoffs are still a possibility. For that reason we cant just bring in all our young guns. Now if we were dead last in the league, im sure gainey would have more prospects playing with the big boys, but then again only if some veterans were traded or released.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Ah common raider

You gona send down 10-15 million dollars in vets to the minors. We cant just bring in all the prospects like hossa, hainsey, Balej, etc. Every young team has some vets to guide the younger players. Plus after this season many vets will be gone.
when are they going to play if you dont play them now? in two or three years(when nhl returns)?

Old
02-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Mooch

Quote:
when are they going to play if you dont play them now? in two or three years(when nhl returns)?
You make perfect sense, but in the rael world you cant just send down 5 vets worth 10-15 millions of dollars and expect no contreversy (sp).

Plus what do you think the millions of fans would say if we were to just throw away our chance at the playoffs?

Old
02-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Raider917

Quote:
You make perfect sense, but in the rael world you cant just send down 5 vets worth 10-15 millions of dollars and expect no contreversy (sp).
i thought, when gainey became the GM, that he said clearly that he would not be affected by the press in montreal.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
This has nothing to do with controversy. It has to do with the playoffs. If you stop playing the vets in favor of the rookies, you're essentially giving up on the season and just making those rookies gain some experience. As great as that experience would be for the rookies, I sincerely doubt Gillett, BG and CJ are willing to flush the playoffs (and consequently all the extra millions in profit) down the drain.

You'd rather do a youth movement Penguins style, instead of incorporating the rookies in gradually??

Old
02-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I really doubt there will be many callups at this point of the season. By saying that the Habs are in a youth movement, BG is essentially saying that they're not looking to trade away their prospects for quick fixes (aka rent-a-players).

The veterans on the team aren't going anywhere until their contracts are up at season's end. We are in the midsts of a playoff race... can you seriously see Higgins, Balej and Perezhogin in the lineup at this point? Or Hainsey? As much as I would like to see them, the Habs can't risk the "rookie mistakes" these rookies will inevitably make.

As a wise man once said, "Patience, grasshopper".
Exactly, thats what im trying to say. We cant just throw away our playoff chance to bring in youth at this point in the season.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Raider917

Quote:
This has nothing to do with controversy. It has to do with the playoffs. If you stop playing the vets in favor of the rookies, you're essentially giving up on the season and just making those rookies gain some experience. As great as that experience would be for the rookies, I sincerely doubt Gillett, BG and CJ are willing to flush the playoffs (and consequently all the extra millions in profit) down the drain.

You'd rather do a youth movement Penguins style, instead of incorporating the rookies in gradually??
If the original statement in this thread is true. Ther is no playoff rush for this team. If there isnt a rush, then why play players that arent going to be with the team when the lockout concludes? this team is supposed to be #1 in minor league system rankings.

as bad as tehe penguin style of rebuilding is, its gonna get a franchise player.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Mooch

Quote:
No, id rather incoporate as they become ready.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Mooch

Quote:
as bad as tehe penguin style of rebuilding is, its gonna get a franchise player.
Could you put in detail what you mean by that point, and How will they get a franchise player.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Could you put in detail what you mean by that point, and How will they get a franchise player.
<

Arent you a member of HockeysFUTURE? I guess you havent realized bottom teams get the best talents at the draft.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
<

Arent you a member of HockeysFUTURE? I guess you havent realized bottom teams get the best talents at the draft.
What- a member of HockeyFUTURE, NO im not a member, and no bottom teams dont ALWAYS get the best talents. Not all top draft picks pan out.

By the way may i ask why you thought i was a member of hockey future. Im just a guy trying to get though university as easily as i can

Last edited by Mooch: 02-22-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old
02-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Raider917

Quote:
by getting a top 5 pick. every team that is really good now has placed very badly to get one of them. it wouldnt bother me nearly as much if we lost more often than we are losing now. do it with players that are going to get better and they will. i hete more than anything, consistently placing 9-12 in the conference and 20-24 overall. its the worse placement of them all. if were going to do this, then we have to try harder to at least make the playoffs as a low seed every year to get the extra revenue.

if there isnt going to be a deal of any kind by gainey this year, then we can kiss the playoffs good bye. souray can only come back in 2-3 weeks? we will place 9th or tenth again. i hate htis more than anything. if were going to lose... lose a lot!!!

Old
02-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Mooch

Quote:
by getting a top 5 pick. every team that is really good now has placed very badly to get one of them. it wouldnt bother me nearly as much if we lost more often than we are losing now. do it with players that are going to get better and they will. i hete more than anything, consistently placing 9-12 in the conference and 20-24 overall. its the worse placement of them all. if were going to do this, then we have to try harder to at least make the playoffs as a low seed every year to get the extra revenue.

if there isnt going to be a deal of any kind by gainey this year, then we can kiss the playoffs good bye. souray can only come back in 2-3 weeks? we will place 9th or tenth again. i hate htis more than anything. if were going to lose... lose a lot!!!

Once again you make perfect sense. But are chicago and pitsburg battling for last place to get ovechikin (sp). No, chicago played there buts off when we played them and were leading 4 nothing or something like it. Pitsburg same thing, a few weeks ago when we got an early 2 nothing lead on them.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
What- a member of HockeyFUTURE, NO im not a member, and no bottom teams dont ALWAYS get the best talents. Not all top draft picks pan out.

I guess I'm just imagining you post then .

BTW, remember the last time the Pens made a reconstruction this way? Mario Lemieux, hes a good player no?

They even got Fleury last year, IMO, hes definetly a franchise player yuou can build around. They could get Ovechkin too.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I guess I'm just imagining you post then .

BTW, remember the last time the Pens made a reconstruction this way? Mario Lemieux, hes a good player no?

They even got Fleury last year, IMO, hes definetly a franchise player yuou can build around. They could get Ovechkin too.

Ya, but then isnt there some kinda thing were they something to determine who gets 1st pick. So ist pick isnt always what you are gona get, by being dead last in the league.

As for mario thing, no i dont remember, but i do now about it. Was there a draft lottery thing back then?

Old
02-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Once again you make perfect sense. But are chicago and pitsburg battling for last place to get ovechikin (sp). No, chicago played there buts off when we played them and were leading 4 nothing or something like it. Pitsburg same thing, a few weeks ago when we got an early 2 nothing lead on them.
at lease do a fire sale like washington and get more draft picks. Cant any of these guys get picks of any kind? perrault, juneau, dackell, kilger,quintal, etc. why cant balej, hossa and hainsey play for either one of thes guys? If they are that bad, how can they be considered good prospects?

Old
02-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
As for mario thing, no i dont remember, but i do now about it. Was there a draft lottery thing back then?
Nope.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Mooch

Quote:
at lease do a fire sale like washington and get more draft picks. Cant any of these guys get picks of any kind? perrault, juneau, dackell, kilger,quintal, etc. why cant balej, hossa and hainsey play for either one of thes guys? If they are that bad, how can they be considered good prospects?

A fire sale with perrault, juneu,etc- you gota be kidin me for what a 7th or 8th round pick

Its not a matter of them being bad, but rather not being nhl ready and unexperienced.

Last edited by Mooch: 02-22-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Closed Thread