HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gonchar?

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 10:46 AM
r19

vCash: 500
Gonchar?

I've been hearing rumours about him possibly coming to Ottawa.Do u think this could be possible.What would we have to give up?

Old
02-21-2004, 10:50 AM
officeglen

Where in the world have you been hearing this rumours?
What we have to give up to get him -> too much.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:14 AM
HF2002

This is beginning to sound like a Leafs board - everyone is suddenly coming to Ottawa. Next it'll be Pronger, then Kovalev, then Boughner(although he was just traded).

It would be interesting though. I would love to see Ottawa do it for no other reason than to keep Gonchar from going to Toronto. Cheese them off even more, and listen to the same Leaf dismissals: "another soft european", "no grit", "goaltending is the problem".

I don't see it happening ($$$). You may as well trade for Kolzig instead.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:46 AM
officeglen

After some thought I think it would be quite possible that Mucks would be involved - after all if you can get Gonchar for the right price, why not, and if instead it just raises the price for the Leafs and Devils, that's good for the Sens too.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Won't happen...Washington would expect a very young and TOP prospect as well as a 1st rounder. So that would likely be Vermette or Eaves and a 1st rounder. Not worth it imo. We have enough offense in Chara and Redden to need someone else.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:57 AM
SENSfreak_03

unlike the others, gonchar has some real value on the market. hes young (compared to the rest that they've moved and could move), hitting his prime, a breed of his own defensively, and not a ufa at the end of the year, just an RFA so they keep him. the caps would be intent to wait, since his value is to be really high, and im sure they can get one heck of alot for him.

Old
02-21-2004, 12:28 PM
sidewalkslam

I don't see why Ottawa would need Gonchar.

Old
02-21-2004, 12:31 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkslam
I don't see why Ottawa would need Gonchar.
Maybe to replace Rachunek if he can't get his s**t together. I find it highly unlikely that a deal would take place, Melnyk does not mind putting forth the cash but this is getting a little ridiculous. Now that being said, if Melnyk gave it the green light and we could get him for say Rachunek and a 1st (maybe an average prospect) I'd be all for it.

If we were to make a deal for another D'man I'd much rather go after Keith Carney. He is a quality stay at home physical D'man and could be had for much less.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:19 PM
r19

What's wrong with Rachunek ? When he wants to play ,he's good a good puck mover and plays aggressive. I find when he plays with Redden he doesn't try as hard and let's Redden take most of the work load because is one of the top defensemen.I would like to see him paired with with Phillips.THey could creat a good duo who can rush the puck, but can be responsible in their own zone.

Old
02-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by r19
What's wrong with Rachunek ? When he wants to play ,he's good a good puck mover and plays aggressive. I find when he plays with Redden he doesn't try as hard and let's Redden take most of the work load because is one of the top defensemen.I would like to see him paired with with Phillips.THey could creat a good duo who can rush the puck, but can be responsible in their own zone.
Rachunek can be a top 4 defenseman when he wants. The consistency isn't there...and I'd rather have Carney than him. Maybe a Carney/Phillips pairing would do good...I'd like to see Phillips get a little more offensive and maybe Carney is a perfect fit.

Old
02-21-2004, 05:21 PM
r19

Keith Carney would be great with Phillips, although Anaheim would ask a lot for him

Old
02-21-2004, 05:29 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by r19
I don't really have a real big problem with Rachunek, he has just been in a slump lately. The only real problem I have with him is that he always seems to be on the ice when the big goal is scored against us. I think he just needs to crank it up every game, he seems to take nights off. When he plays hard he is very effective and probably one of the best #4 d'men in the league (if not the best).

Old
02-22-2004, 03:01 AM
nessie

Send a message via AIM to nessie Send a message via MSN to nessie Send a message via Yahoo to nessie
Has any heard that, Gonchar, Witt, and Kolzig are all part of some dela to go to Toronto - though Toronto wont release who they want to send off, supposedly Stajan was part of it, but no clue

I don't see why Ottawa needs more D - I believe we have the best Defence in the league...

Old
02-22-2004, 03:45 AM
The Hamburglar

I didn't see the game today ( :mad: ) so I don't know how Raccoon played, but if we want to trade Rachunek, Gonchar could be ours. But I'm not so sure it's a good idea.
How blocked the most shots last year in the playoffs? Anyone recall? I do. RACHUNEK. Everyone was loving how he stepped up his game and critizing our 2002 playoff exit because Rachunek was hurt and we didn't have that shot blocking d-men. And another point....Did he block any shots during last season? Hardly. Looks the same as this season...not much different.

I'll put my money down to say Rachunek will be our best shot blocker come April.

Old
02-22-2004, 04:19 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie
Has any heard that, Gonchar, Witt, and Kolzig are all part of some dela to go to Toronto - though Toronto wont release who they want to send off, supposedly Stajan was part of it, but no clue
I haven't heard anything about Stajan.

At all.

Old
02-22-2004, 01:54 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG
I didn't see the game today ( :mad: ) so I don't know how Raccoon played, but if we want to trade Rachunek, Gonchar could be ours. But I'm not so sure it's a good idea.
How blocked the most shots last year in the playoffs? Anyone recall? I do. RACHUNEK. Everyone was loving how he stepped up his game and critizing our 2002 playoff exit because Rachunek was hurt and we didn't have that shot blocking d-men. And another point....Did he block any shots during last season? Hardly. Looks the same as this season...not much different.

I'll put my money down to say Rachunek will be our best shot blocker come April.
He is definately a shot blocking machine. I mentioned his name because if you wanted to get Gonchar you would have to include him as part of the package. I'd much rather stay far away from Gonchar, he is a one-trick pony. Keith Carney is the man we need here. Imagine a defence as follows:

Chara-Phillips
Redden-Racoon
A-train-Carney
Curtis L. & Simpson for depth

Old
02-22-2004, 06:06 PM
MLSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie

I don't see why Ottawa needs more D - I believe we have the best Defence in the league...
I think Detroit does (At least when Hatcher comes back).

Hatcher Fischer Lidstrom Wooley Schneider Chelios

(Dandenault moved up to forward I believe)

Closed Thread