HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News - Canadiens Top-10 Prospects

Old
08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Maxwell isnt a physical player but he will go in traffic and will take a hit to make a play with great puck protection skills.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Misa Campo
Sooooo right...

Wow 1000 posts... was wondering if I would ever reach that...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Sooooo right...

Wow 1000 posts... was wondering if I would ever reach that...
as did I

1000 meaningful posts... yes...even this one

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:19 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
My Yearbook had Price on the cover. I'm pretty sure the player is region-specific. Did you buy yours in Toronto?

Maybe I should send you some paypal money and make you send me a copy. Lol.. Damn friggen' Toskala!

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Who's arsenault and why would Kristo shoot him?
Commenting on typos is SO HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
No Chipchura , no Halak , no Carles , no D'Agostini on that list . That shows the depth of the Habs prospect .
Are you saying that the Habs have little depth or lots of depth?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Are you saying that the Habs have little depth or lots of depth?
Lots . I considere Chipchura and Halak as very good prospects . I also like what i saw of D'Agostini , and what i read about Carles .If those players are even not in the top 10 prospects list , that means that we have lots of depth .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:01 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Lots . I considere Chipchura and Halak as very good prospects . I also like what i saw of D'Agostini , and what i read about Carles .If those players are even not in the top 10 prospects list , that means that we have lots of depth .
I'm pretty sure they aren't considering Halak and Chipchura as prospects here, but it's possible.

08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
My Yearbook had Price on the cover. I'm pretty sure the player is region-specific. Did you buy yours in Toronto?
What is a yearbook in that specific case?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Commenting on typos is SO HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Commenting on comments on typos makes you such a big man.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Commenting on comments on typos makes you such a big man.
Commenting on big mens makes you

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 07:50 AM
GNick42

They definitely messed up on our prospect rankings in my opinion. Don't know what is going on at the Hockey News but since Bob McKenzie stopped doing these things they are highly questionable.

Valentenko is one of our top prospects...makes it sound as if Ryan White cannot skate...Fischer at 4th overall, he is a project more than a prospect.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
They definitely messed up on our prospect rankings in my opinion. Don't know what is going on at the Hockey News but since Bob McKenzie stopped doing these things they are highly questionable.

Valentenko is one of our top prospects...makes it sound as if Ryan White cannot skate...Fischer at 4th overall, he is a project more than a prospect.
he was not drafted that high. not even close. I believe 20th or something?

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:48 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
he was not drafted that high. not even close. I believe 20th or something?
He meant 4th overall on our depth chart.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Should just send our prospect ranking into them, much better than their crap.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
24Cups

MaxPac ready by 10-11. That means THN thinks he'll spend 2 whole years in Hamilton. Not likely.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Should just send our prospect ranking into them, much better than their crap.
I completely agree,

I think they would be surprised at how deep our list is.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Maxwell isnt a physical player but he will go in traffic and will take a hit to make a play with great puck protection skills.
change of hearth? weren't you the one a couple of yerars ago who saw him live said that you weren't impressed with him?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
GNick42

I lost a lot of respect for The Hockey News after read our prospect rankings. I've been around junior, minor and pro hockey long enough to know better than those rankings. Whoever ranked them does not know the prospects but was going by their draft position instead. Could be last Hockey News I buy.

About 6 months ago I ranked our prospects for myself...I dug around and found it on my hard drive...keep in mind I wrote this back at first of '08, no doubt some changes since then.

Chipchura - I have Chipchura as our top rated prospect at the present time. He's a future team captain, heart and soul player type player, decent hands, I see him as a future 20 goal-50 point, third line center. His skating I have rated as only Ok, but he has tons of hockey savvy. In that he is one of the smartest natural hockey players I have seen in quite some time. Not really sure how that will transpire over the course of his career? May someday(28-30 yrs old), be offensive enough to be a second line cornerstone center for the Habs.

Pacioretty - A good skater, with strength and size, speed, enjoys getting his nose dirty crashing the net. Like his all-around game. A guy we need in Montreal! I heard an interview with Pacioretty, he stated he would do whatever the Habs believe is good for his development. Outside of Wyman, he is the only powerforward we have in our system....so pro-hockey doesn't sound far off for Pacioretty. As there is a need. If he turns pro this summer, he will be in the AHL, up to Montreal for a cup of coffee. A future power forward for the Habs!! - I'm ordering my Pacioretty jersey this summer. j/k

McDonagh - Has the size and strenght to play in the big leagues now, he'll play around 6'2" - 215 lbs, decent skater, plays physical game. He's had a good freshman year, although he was made to look foolish defensively at times. It's also his first year playing against grown men, it's normal for some high school d-men to need time to make the transition. Needs to stay at Wisconsin for at least another year before moving on to Hamilton. I think he will be a solid NHLer, he does most things well but nothing really great, a #3 maybe even go as high as #2 NHL d-man after 4-5 NHL esperience. Has a little offense, 40 pts NHL potential I would estimate, 2nd unit PP type.

Valentenko - I am probably higher on Valentenko than any other scouting report you may read. There's really nothing about Valentenko's game I can find fault with. Good size, decent skater, hard shot, okay offensively, plays with heart, physical, blocks shots, at 21 he may be a tad young for NHL d-man duties. Another year in Hamilton is all he needs before NHL ready. I think he can go as high as a #2 defenseman someday. I saw him play in October and thought he was a project, then watched him play a few games this winter, before he went down with an injury, and I had him as Hamilton's best d-man. The best prospect on Hamilton in those games.

Fischer - I wasn't a fan of drafting Fischer back in '06, I must say he is starting to sway me. I still don't agree with the pick...but he's increased his lower body strength, has a smooth skating style, but he bulked-up giving a more powerful stride, allows him to skate better backwards, allowing him to play the angles better. He actually even gets a little physical at times which makes him look much more confident this year. On the 1st team PK, making fewer mental errors, still need some work on moving the puck quicker, espeically in the offensive zone. With our depth in young d-men, I see him being a full four year college guy before coming to Hamilton, then a year or two in the AHL, he'll be adding to the Habs by the time he is 23 or 24. A few years back I heard Timmins say it increases a defensemen development to play 80 games(plus playoffs) in the AHL, instead of 40-45 games a season in college.

Halak - Halak has an excellent NHL career ahead of him....will it be curtailed stuck behind a franchise goalie in Price? How will it go? Is he destined for backup the next 5-6 years? Or a couple years backup...increasing his trade value...then maybe we could deal him for a handsome return? In my opinion by the time he is 26 or so he will a Tomas Vokoun type. There's nothing Halak hasn't done yet...was awesome in the WJC. Lead the AHL in goals against average and save percentage the last two seasons. Played well in world championships, won Player of the Game honor and a shutout. In 18 NHL appearances he has 10 wins, 2.84 GAA, .908 Sav%, 2 shutouts. That's all he done! Being only 22, people should be beaming about him ....but yet most don't consider him.

Maxwell - A future playmaking center in the NHL. He's got the passing skills, smart in terms of anticipation, I think he has no panic point at all(can make great passes at the last minute while drawing opposing players to him). These skills should let him quarterback a good powerplay some day. Also has a good slapshot, doesn't use it enough in my opinion. Needs to play with wingers with skill though(in other words goal scorers) to bring about his best assets. Around 6'-200 lbs, so average size, he's a good skater, decent speed, will be in Hamilton next season. I see him in two years as a #2 NHL playmaking center. Injuries may have slowed his development a bit, wouldn't be totally surprised to see him take off once Timmins gets ahold of him in Hamilton. Watch him next season!

White - I call White a future Mike Keane for us....a third line two-way center type. A good old Canadian boy, he's averaged 100 penalty minutes, 11 powerplay goals and 5 shorthanded goals in his junior career. White does it all, has offensive skills (nice wrist shot), finished 3rd last year in WHL scoring, strong along the boards, hits, blocks shots, drops the gloves...has good heart. Voted top faceoff man this season and 2nd best defensive forward(behind only Brandon Sutter). If his skating, foot speed and mobility were a notch higher I honestly think White would be a cornerstone player. That's how high his other skills are. We'll see how a season or two in Hamilton helps in these areas.

D'Agostini - Started the year off poorly but has since turned things around. Slightly above average skating and offensive skills, understands the game well, I think he will play in the NHL someday, 3rd to 4th line winger. Can be inconsistent at times which drives Don Lever crazy. Doesn't have elite level skills, about mid-frame, in my opinion if he bulked up a bit, it would improve his strength and his chances of sticking. Hopefully he makes the Habs next season, he's 21(late '86 birthdate), so he has time for another season or two in Hamilton to develop more. If he was 23 or 24 I would say his NHL chances would be slim. But you never know...I get the opinion the success of his pro career depends on how hard he will work. It's up to him.

Weber - Wasn't going to include him in my Top 10 at first but watched a Kitchener game last week and came away impressed. Before the game I was going to inclue Subban. But oh well, they both are rated very close. Weber has a stocky build but at 5'10", a bit undersized for an NHL d-man, his offense is good enough to quarterback a future powerplay unit someday. Has about the hardest shot in our system, if not all of junior hockey. He scored 17 goals on the powerplay this season, think Bouillon type size with Souray type skills. In that his defense awareness needs more work...I see 2-3 years in Hamilton for seasoning. But that is norm, has offense, only a third round pick it makes sense they need a few AHL years to work out the bugs. It will be interesting to see players like Weber along with Valentenko, McDonagh, Fischer, Carle, Subban, and Emelin all make out headed to the future Habs roster....just two years ago we had little depth on the blueline...look at it now?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
change of hearth? weren't you the one a couple of yerars ago who saw him live said that you weren't impressed with him?
No that's me, i've always maintained White is better than Maxwell, toshiro thinks opposite, time will tell!!!!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
kostitsyn1489

I'm currently working on a top 25 prospect ranking with bios, reports and stuff in french. It takes time as im not working on it on a regular basis, but it should be up before the rookie camp.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 01:13 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
What I said was that he has great skills, vision, decent size but appears to lack a sense of urgency. It is ok if you need to blow smoke out your butt beacuse of acne or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Johnson is an all-around player and I wouldn't be shocked to see him become a scoring-line player in the AHL in a few years.
I believe so too.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I lost a lot of respect for The Hockey News after read our prospect rankings. I've been around junior, minor and pro hockey long enough to know better than those rankings. Whoever ranked them does not know the prospects but was going by their draft position instead. Could be last Hockey News I buy.

About 6 months ago I ranked our prospects for myself...I dug around and found it on my hard drive...keep in mind I wrote this back at first of '08, no doubt some changes since then.

Chipchura - I have Chipchura as our top rated prospect at the present time. He's a future team captain, heart and soul player type player, decent hands, I see him as a future 20 goal-50 point, third line center. His skating I have rated as only Ok, but he has tons of hockey savvy. In that he is one of the smartest natural hockey players I have seen in quite some time. Not really sure how that will transpire over the course of his career? May someday(28-30 yrs old), be offensive enough to be a second line cornerstone center for the Habs.

Pacioretty - A good skater, with strength and size, speed, enjoys getting his nose dirty crashing the net. Like his all-around game. A guy we need in Montreal! I heard an interview with Pacioretty, he stated he would do whatever the Habs believe is good for his development. Outside of Wyman, he is the only powerforward we have in our system....so pro-hockey doesn't sound far off for Pacioretty. As there is a need. If he turns pro this summer, he will be in the AHL, up to Montreal for a cup of coffee. A future power forward for the Habs!! - I'm ordering my Pacioretty jersey this summer. j/k

McDonagh - Has the size and strenght to play in the big leagues now, he'll play around 6'2" - 215 lbs, decent skater, plays physical game. He's had a good freshman year, although he was made to look foolish defensively at times. It's also his first year playing against grown men, it's normal for some high school d-men to need time to make the transition. Needs to stay at Wisconsin for at least another year before moving on to Hamilton. I think he will be a solid NHLer, he does most things well but nothing really great, a #3 maybe even go as high as #2 NHL d-man after 4-5 NHL esperience. Has a little offense, 40 pts NHL potential I would estimate, 2nd unit PP type.

Valentenko - I am probably higher on Valentenko than any other scouting report you may read. There's really nothing about Valentenko's game I can find fault with. Good size, decent skater, hard shot, okay offensively, plays with heart, physical, blocks shots, at 21 he may be a tad young for NHL d-man duties. Another year in Hamilton is all he needs before NHL ready. I think he can go as high as a #2 defenseman someday. I saw him play in October and thought he was a project, then watched him play a few games this winter, before he went down with an injury, and I had him as Hamilton's best d-man. The best prospect on Hamilton in those games.

Fischer - I wasn't a fan of drafting Fischer back in '06, I must say he is starting to sway me. I still don't agree with the pick...but he's increased his lower body strength, has a smooth skating style, but he bulked-up giving a more powerful stride, allows him to skate better backwards, allowing him to play the angles better. He actually even gets a little physical at times which makes him look much more confident this year. On the 1st team PK, making fewer mental errors, still need some work on moving the puck quicker, espeically in the offensive zone. With our depth in young d-men, I see him being a full four year college guy before coming to Hamilton, then a year or two in the AHL, he'll be adding to the Habs by the time he is 23 or 24. A few years back I heard Timmins say it increases a defensemen development to play 80 games(plus playoffs) in the AHL, instead of 40-45 games a season in college.

Halak - Halak has an excellent NHL career ahead of him....will it be curtailed stuck behind a franchise goalie in Price? How will it go? Is he destined for backup the next 5-6 years? Or a couple years backup...increasing his trade value...then maybe we could deal him for a handsome return? In my opinion by the time he is 26 or so he will a Tomas Vokoun type. There's nothing Halak hasn't done yet...was awesome in the WJC. Lead the AHL in goals against average and save percentage the last two seasons. Played well in world championships, won Player of the Game honor and a shutout. In 18 NHL appearances he has 10 wins, 2.84 GAA, .908 Sav%, 2 shutouts. That's all he done! Being only 22, people should be beaming about him ....but yet most don't consider him.

Maxwell - A future playmaking center in the NHL. He's got the passing skills, smart in terms of anticipation, I think he has no panic point at all(can make great passes at the last minute while drawing opposing players to him). These skills should let him quarterback a good powerplay some day. Also has a good slapshot, doesn't use it enough in my opinion. Needs to play with wingers with skill though(in other words goal scorers) to bring about his best assets. Around 6'-200 lbs, so average size, he's a good skater, decent speed, will be in Hamilton next season. I see him in two years as a #2 NHL playmaking center. Injuries may have slowed his development a bit, wouldn't be totally surprised to see him take off once Timmins gets ahold of him in Hamilton. Watch him next season!

White - I call White a future Mike Keane for us....a third line two-way center type. A good old Canadian boy, he's averaged 100 penalty minutes, 11 powerplay goals and 5 shorthanded goals in his junior career. White does it all, has offensive skills (nice wrist shot), finished 3rd last year in WHL scoring, strong along the boards, hits, blocks shots, drops the gloves...has good heart. Voted top faceoff man this season and 2nd best defensive forward(behind only Brandon Sutter). If his skating, foot speed and mobility were a notch higher I honestly think White would be a cornerstone player. That's how high his other skills are. We'll see how a season or two in Hamilton helps in these areas.

D'Agostini - Started the year off poorly but has since turned things around. Slightly above average skating and offensive skills, understands the game well, I think he will play in the NHL someday, 3rd to 4th line winger. Can be inconsistent at times which drives Don Lever crazy. Doesn't have elite level skills, about mid-frame, in my opinion if he bulked up a bit, it would improve his strength and his chances of sticking. Hopefully he makes the Habs next season, he's 21(late '86 birthdate), so he has time for another season or two in Hamilton to develop more. If he was 23 or 24 I would say his NHL chances would be slim. But you never know...I get the opinion the success of his pro career depends on how hard he will work. It's up to him.

Weber - Wasn't going to include him in my Top 10 at first but watched a Kitchener game last week and came away impressed. Before the game I was going to inclue Subban. But oh well, they both are rated very close. Weber has a stocky build but at 5'10", a bit undersized for an NHL d-man, his offense is good enough to quarterback a future powerplay unit someday. Has about the hardest shot in our system, if not all of junior hockey. He scored 17 goals on the powerplay this season, think Bouillon type size with Souray type skills. In that his defense awareness needs more work...I see 2-3 years in Hamilton for seasoning. But that is norm, has offense, only a third round pick it makes sense they need a few AHL years to work out the bugs. It will be interesting to see players like Weber along with Valentenko, McDonagh, Fischer, Carle, Subban, and Emelin all make out headed to the future Habs roster....just two years ago we had little depth on the blueline...look at it now?
I know man. The Hockey News made errors, and did not research well enough. But I do think your analyses of the players were well done. Started at the beginning of career, went into detail and gave a little bit of their backgrounds.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
I know man. The Hockey News made errors, and did not research well enough. But I do think your analyses of the players were well done. Started at the beginning of career, went into detail and gave a little bit of their backgrounds.

+1 Great Job GNick!!!!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote