HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens-Kings then Pens-Lightning-Ducks

Old
08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Varius

vCash: 500
Pens-Kings then Pens-Lightning-Ducks

This proposal is only made under the conditions:

a) Teemu isn't returning
b) Tampa is the team after Meszaros by offer-sheet

TRADE #1

To LA:
Ryan Whitney

To PIT:
Oscar Moller

For LA, Whitney is injured for a decent part of the season, but is signed long-term and is a young guy LA would probably not mind having on their blueline. Moller is a very good prospect, but they already have Purcell ahead of him on the RW depth chart not to mention Dustin Brown having the RW spot of the first line locked up. Whitney is an NHL player, Moller is still a potential NHL player.

For Pittsburgh, they free up cap space for the next move in my proposal as well as their future RFA signings like Staal, while getting a prospect who could turn out to be Malkin's future linemate. Whitney won't help the Pens until he comes back this season anyhow, and who knows if he'll show rust or signs of the injury.

TRADE #2

To PIT:
Mathieu Schneider

To TB:
Darryl Sydor
3rd-round pick (their own)
Brendan Mikkelson

To Anaheim:
Jussi Jokinen

For Pittsburgh, they acquire a veteran to replace Sydor and at the same time definitely upgrade their D for this year. Like Sydor, he's gone next year. All they give up for Schneider is a 3rd-round draft pick, so they should see value in that move.

For Tampa Bay, they get a defensive prospect with offensive upside, something their prospect pool is weak on. They get their 3rd back for the Meszaros offer-sheet and have to take Sydor as a cost for that (but at least he's UFA or they could even waive him).

For Anaheim, they give up Schneider and a mid-tier prospect to get under cap and add Jokinen, who is another option for their 2nd line if Lindstrom doesn't pan out. He can also probably help them in the shootout department.

Thoughts on this one?

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
66-29-33

Moller better be pretty damn good because Whitney had 59 points a few seasons ago, and 40 point season last season on 1 leg all season. You said he is 3rd on your RW depth chart so i will say no...

No for Schneider.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Hale The Villain

Whitney for Moller? Are you serious?

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
loxcane

Not a fan of Pitts are you?

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
No thanks.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Whitney for Moller? Are you serious?
I know Whitney > Moller, but you factor in things like Whitney's foot (from what I've read about him, in his own words it's something chronic and he considers skating the best part of his game, which he can't do 100% at moment) and freed up cap space next season (could go to Staal, Talbot's extension, Free Agent wingers, whatever)

Basically, I think Pittsburgh trades a risk for a risk. Whitney might never be the same as he once was if his foot problems become Forsberg-like, while Moller might never make the NHL or become a top-6 winger. I do think though Schneider helps their push for a Cup this year, mroe than Sydor+Whitney would.

Old
08-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Reaper45

Why do the Kings do it? Whitney is hurt and might never revert to form. Moller is pretty highly thought of by the Kings.

Old
08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
If I'm Shero, I don't even consider this.

No offense, Varius.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Why do the Kings do it? Whitney is hurt and might never revert to form. Moller is pretty highly thought of by the Kings.
It's a risk for them as well, but if Whitney does come back ok, they win this trade (unless down the line Moller becomes a superstar).

Old
08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
And they also have Doughty, Hickey, Johnson, and a few other offensive defensemen coming through the system. Why would they trade Moller who plays a position they're weaker at for Whitney who's a defensemen where they're easily the strongest?

Old
08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
If I'm Shero, I don't even consider this.

No offense, Varius.
None taken, I was just trying something for fun to tie-in Schneider from the Ducks and Pittsburgh giving Tampa their 3rd back heh. Seems it was a failure from the replies so far, but hey I'll bookmark it and return to it in the future when we see what becomes of Whitney and Moller

Old
08-28-2008, 09:29 PM
johnjm22

From a Kings perspective, this is a great deal. Whitney is exactly what we need, and he's locked up for the next 5 years at a $4M CAP hit.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
None taken, I was just trying something for fun to tie-in Schneider from the Ducks and Pittsburgh giving Tampa their 3rd back heh. Seems it was a failure from the replies so far, but hey I'll bookmark it and return to it in the future when we see what becomes of Whitney and Moller
It's not a failure, as you have the right idea, just the wrong players. Injured or not, Whitney is a stud offensive defensemen who could bring a lot more back in a trade than Moller.

Old
08-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Luigi Lemieux

whitney has 99 pts in his first two full seasons, with one season being played while injured all year. he's not great in his own zone, but he's an elite puck mover. no dice.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:38 PM
loxcane

Just have to give Pitts more in the deal. Moller isn't that great a prospect to be thinking straight up.

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
For LA, Whitney is injured for a decent part of the season, but is signed long-term and is a young guy LA would probably not mind having on their blueline. Moller is a very good prospect, but they already have Purcell ahead of him on the RW depth chart not to mention Dustin Brown having the RW spot of the first line locked up. Whitney is an NHL player, Moller is still a potential NHL player.
Brown plays the left wing on the #1 line.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
whitney has 99 pts in his first two full seasons, with one season being played while injured all year. he's not great in his own zone, but he's an elite puck mover. no dice.
Something that the Kings don't need with already having Doughty, Johnson, Preissing and Harrold. They need a defensive d-man, not another offensive d-man.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
From a Kings perspective, this is a great deal. Whitney is exactly what we need, and he's locked up for the next 5 years at a $4M CAP hit.
What? Having Whitney takes a pot away from Hickey/Doughty. Not what's needed. We need a guy signed for a year or two tops. Whitney is also out until December or January and might never recover from his foot injury.

Old
08-28-2008, 10:30 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Whitney is also out until December or January and might never recover from his foot injury.
Hardly the main point at hand, but Whitney's injury, even post-surgery was never considered career threatening. He's only missing a few months, not an entire year of development.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
What? Having Whitney takes a pot away from Hickey/Doughty. Not what's needed. We need a guy signed for a year or two tops. Whitney is also out until December or January and might never recover from his foot injury.
You've invented this 'may never recover' thing. The main thing that's in jeopardy is if he'll be effective in the playoffs after coming back.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
It's not a failure, as you have the right idea, just the wrong players. Injured or not, Whitney is a stud offensive defensemen who could bring a lot more back in a trade than Moller.
Yeah the problem with sending him to LA is they are a young, rebuilding team so I didn't think they'd part with much picks/prospects and Pitts couldn't take back salary anyways for the next part of my proposal.

However I suppose they could make a deal with someone other than LA, like say Colorado?

I'm not sure of the Penguin's exact needs, but what do you think of this instead:

Whitney for Leopold, Stewart, 2nd-round pick?

Pens D for this season would be:

Gonchar, Schneider, Orpik, Letang, Eaton, Leopold, Gill, Scuderi with Schneider/Gill/Scuderi/Leopold all being UFAs after this year. They also add a good power forward prospect in Stewart and a pick.

For the Avs, now that Sakic is back this might be their final shot before starting on a semi-rebuild and Whitney is better than Leopold. After this year, they'll have Whitney long-term to join their new core of guys like Stastny, Wolski, etc...

Old
08-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Martyros

whitney for moller is a bad idea in many cases.

Pittsburgh's weakness is at defense, they don't have to give one up for another offensively gifted forward. The kings won't need Whitney's services within the next 2 years because of Johnson, Doughty, Hickey, Martinez. King's weakness is at the RW. Dustin Brown and O'sullivan are the only wingers we have that can play on the RW, and they play on the same line. Other than Purcell, we have no other prospect that is a right winger.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Pittsburgh's weakness is at defense
If by sayig this, you mean that their offense is better than their defence, then I agree.

If you actaully mean that it is a weakness, then you are off base.

craig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
No freakin way. Pens arent moving Whitney, Whitneys injury isnt going to make Shero trade a guy who is locked up on a good contract and who he has clearly stated is one of the core of the team he is putting together. Whitneys injury just means Letang will have to step up which most people are confident he can do anyway.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
I know Whitney > Moller, but you factor in things like Whitney's foot (from what I've read about him, in his own words it's something chronic and he considers skating the best part of his game, which he can't do 100% at moment) and freed up cap space next season (could go to Staal, Talbot's extension, Free Agent wingers, whatever)

Basically, I think Pittsburgh trades a risk for a risk. Whitney might never be the same as he once was if his foot problems become Forsberg-like, while Moller might never make the NHL or become a top-6 winger. I do think though Schneider helps their push for a Cup this year, mroe than Sydor+Whitney would.
A career threat has never been even remotely suggested, and it's only rampant speculation on your part to drive down Whitney's value to make your proposal look less preposterous.

There couldn't be a much more lopsided deal than giving away a blueliner who's scored more points than any under-25 NHL defenseman other than Phaneuf over the past two years - one of those years on a gimpy leg, mind you - and who's on a great contract for the next 5 years, for a completely unproven 2nd rounder who only made modest gains in his post-draft year.

Moller for Whitney? Only in Lombardi's wet dreams.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote