HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you expect from this team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2008, 10:32 PM
  #1
scoringmachine
Registered User
 
scoringmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
What do you expect from this team?

I know there are many threads on how this team will perform this season. Such as will they make the playoffs, will they end up first in their division etc. I am listing the players I feel will be in a Flames Uniform come the end of training camp and would like your honest opinion on what are your expectation from them. I know some are a no-brainer to be on this team. Also your expectation on Keenan.

1. Todd Bertuzzi
2. Rene Bourque
3. Dustin Boyd (Long shot but think will make team)
4. Mike Cammalleri
5. Craig Conroy
6. Curtis Glencross
7. Jarome Iginla
8. Daymond Langkow
9. Matthew Lombardi
10. Jamie Lundmark
11. David Moss
12. Eric Nystrom
13. Andre Roy
14. Adrian Aucoin
15. Mark Giordano
16. Dion Phaneuf
17. Robyn Regehr
18. Cory Sarich
19. James Vandermeer
20. Brandon Prust
20. Miikka Kiprusoff
21. Curtis McElhinney

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:48 PM
  #2
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,187
vCash: 500
Honestly if we get passed the 2nd round this year, the season is a success to me. We still have quite a few years left of contending due to 'the core' being signed for the length of time they are, so even though we obviously would like to win right now, we still have time. I think we probably can get the division title, it'll be between us, Minnesota and maybe Colorado and Edmonton. It'll also be nice to see a little consistency this year, unlike last year where you never knew what squad would show up.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:15 AM
  #3
HybridStylez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Like many Flames Fans... we ALL expect them to get pass the 1st round of the playoffs... if not the season is a failure.

HybridStylez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
  #4
Ticonderoga
Registered User
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Second round or bust.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:43 AM
  #5
Hyde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Second round or bust.
Meh, depends on who they play in the first round, well at least for me. I say the same thing every year, just make the playoffs all else is gravy.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
  #6
JiriHrdina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
It's too tricky to base a season only on playoff success - although clearly at the end of the day that's what it's all about.

But in two of the last 3 first round exits they Flames lost in 7 games and arguably could have easily moved on (though their performance in both game 7s was not good).

For me - I look more at the regular season as it's a much larger point of evaluation. The dissapointment last year was that the team didn't compete for the division. And that remains my expectation for this year - this team is as good as any in the division and should compete for the title.

And with that title comes a much easier first round match up so hopefully playoff success follows.

That all being said - I do think this is a bit of a transition year for the Flames - one in which they will simply tread water. Next year I think their cap situation is much better and will allow them to do some things in the off-season. Moreover, I think some of the young players in the organization will be ready to make a more substantial contribution next season.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
  #7
Hyde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Yeah Jiri, good call on this being a transition year. Agree 100% with your post. Personally I'm looking really forward for 09-10, and see what Sutter does with that cap space.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
  #8
josra33
Registered User
 
josra33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Honestly if we get passed the 2nd round this year, the season is a success to me. We still have quite a few years left of contending due to 'the core' being signed for the length of time they are, so even though we obviously would like to win right now, we still have time. I think we probably can get the division title, it'll be between us, Minnesota and maybe Colorado and Edmonton. It'll also be nice to see a little consistency this year, unlike last year where you never knew what squad would show up.
Whatever happened to the Stanley Cup or bust? When did it become a success to lose in the playoffs. The youth these days I swear....

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
  #9
JiriHrdina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
Whatever happened to the Stanley Cup or bust? When did it become a success to lose in the playoffs. The youth these days I swear....
I think you are confusing expectations with hope.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:31 AM
  #10
Cactus Jack
Registered User
 
Cactus Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think you are confusing expectations with hope.
Now, I know every team says their goal is to win the cup but you know a team like Atlanta or Toronto know they don't have a prayer. If you were to ask Sutter, I really don't believe in his heart he thinks this team is just a playoff team, nor do I think he would be happy with winning just a round. Sutter always says he goes for the cup because he thinks this team is good enough. I don't get fans like you. We all have hope and I don't expect them to win the cup but if we miss the playoffs or get bounced again in the first round I will be severely disappointed. You don't win without high expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
It's too tricky to base a season only on playoff success - although clearly at the end of the day that's what it's all about.

But in two of the last 3 first round exits they Flames lost in 7 games and arguably could have easily moved on (though their performance in both game 7s was not good).

For me - I look more at the regular season as it's a much larger point of evaluation. The dissapointment last year was that the team didn't compete for the division. And that remains my expectation for this year - this team is as good as any in the division and should compete for the title.

And with that title comes a much easier first round match up so hopefully playoff success follows.

That all being said - I do think this is a bit of a transition year for the Flames - one in which they will simply tread water. Next year I think their cap situation is much better and will allow them to do some things in the off-season. Moreover, I think some of the young players in the organization will be ready to make a more substantial contribution next season.
You base success more on the regular season? If so, then let's sign the Ladislav Nagy's of the world to perform during the season and tank in the playoffs. 16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs so that should be a given. This team should almost always be better than more than half of the league. So what do you base success on? Consistent team play? PP ok PK numbers? Individual hardware? Those things are not important at all when it comes to the big picture but rather are contributing factors to success. This team needs to start winning in the playoffs because I don't want more years of mediocrity, barely backing into the playoffs and being bounced by good teams. Who knows if we would have made the playoffs if other teams hadn't sustained so many injuries and if we had remained so healthy for the past few years.

If, as you said, the Flames almost took the last 3 playoff rounds, then it clearly doesn't matter to you whom they face. This team needs to get out of the first round and make noise, and in order to do so you will eventually face good teams. This team sorely lacks a killer instinct and can't have that aw-shucks mentality anymore about not making it past the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Meh, depends on who they play in the first round, well at least for me. I say the same thing every year, just make the playoffs all else is gravy.
You're setting your expectations way too low. I hope Sutter doesn't set his expectations so low.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:51 AM
  #11
JiriHrdina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Now, I know every team says their goal is to win the cup but you know a team like Atlanta or Toronto know they don't have a prayer. If you were to ask Sutter, I really don't believe in his heart he thinks this team is just a playoff team, nor do I think he would be happy with winning just a round. Sutter always says he goes for the cup because he thinks this team is good enough. I don't get fans like you. We all have hope and I don't expect them to win the cup but if we miss the playoffs or get bounced again in the first round I will be severely disappointed. You don't win without high expectations.
That's why he's a GM and I'm a fan. I will choose to enjoy a season for what it is - but his job is to win a cup.

My expectations have nothing to do with what actually happens with a team.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
You base success more on the regular season? If so, then let's sign the Ladislav Nagy's of the world to perform during the season and tank in the playoffs. 16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs so that should be a given.
I believe I was pretty clear my expectations were to be compete for a division title, not just make the playoffs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
This team should almost always be better than more than half of the league. So what do you base success on? Consistent team play? PP ok PK numbers? Individual hardware? Those things are not important at all when it comes to the big picture but rather are contributing factors to success. This team needs to start winning in the playoffs because I don't want more years of mediocrity, barely backing into the playoffs and being bounced by good teams. Who knows if we would have made the playoffs if other teams hadn't sustained so many injuries and if we had remained so healthy for the past few years.
Ifs and buts don't matter in sports.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
If, as you said, the Flames almost took the last 3 playoff rounds, then it clearly doesn't matter to you whom they face. This team needs to get out of the first round and make noise, and in order to do so you will eventually face good teams. This team sorely lacks a killer instinct and can't have that aw-shucks mentality anymore about not making it past the first round.

You're setting your expectations way too low. I hope Sutter doesn't set his expectations so low.
Holy crap man. Talk about taking my post and twisting it around. What do my expectations have to do with Sutters' expectations.
His expectations SHOULD be higher - he's the frickin GM. I'm a fan!

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
  #12
ComixZone
Registered User
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
NorthWest Division Champions.

Battle hard every night. CONSISTENCY. I just need to see some consistent effort out there.

That's what I expect...

What I think is possible?

Iginla for the Hart.
Dion for the Norris.
Kipper for the Vezina.
Bertuzzi for the comeback player of the year award.
Cammalleri re-signed in Jan. if he starts the season well and fits in.
Bertuzzi re-signed in Jan. if he starts the season well and fits in.
Fight hard in the playoffs and don't fall apart under pressure like last year against SJ (Game 7 and 4 to be specific.)

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
  #13
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,697
vCash: 50
Anything short of a Stanley cup is a failure.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
  #14
Hyde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
You're setting your expectations way too low.
I can set my expectatons at any level I want.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
  #15
flamesfan12
Registered User
 
flamesfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Beaumont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
I know there are many threads on how this team will perform this season. Such as will they make the playoffs, will they end up first in their division etc. I am listing the players I feel will be in a Flames Uniform come the end of training camp and would like your honest opinion on what are your expectation from them. I know some are a no-brainer to be on this team. Also your expectation on Keenan.

1. Todd Bertuzzi
2. Rene Bourque
3. Dustin Boyd (Long shot but think will make team)
4. Mike Cammalleri
5. Craig Conroy
6. Curtis Glencross
7. Jarome Iginla
8. Daymond Langkow
9. Matthew Lombardi
10. Jamie Lundmark
11. David Moss
12. Eric Nystrom
13. Andre Roy
14. Adrian Aucoin
15. Mark Giordano
16. Dion Phaneuf
17. Robyn Regehr
18. Cory Sarich
19. James Vandermeer
20. Brandon Prust
20. Miikka Kiprusoff
21. Curtis McElhinney
Why do you see Boyd as a long shot? Why is Lundmark on the team?

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 07:52 PM
  #16
RichKlit
 
RichKlit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
I would like to see the team go back to being one the teams no one wants to play, really tough,gritty,hardnosed with a mean streak. Solid team defense and a better year out of Kipper and first in our division is realistic. IMO we have the toughest team in the division we just have to play that way.

As far as the playoffs go we have to get out of the first round, once we do that the monkey is off our back and its like running down hill, confidence will skyrocket and look out cause no one wants to play against Iggy when he gets rolling and the rest of the team is chipping in.

RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:18 AM
  #17
AndersEriksson*
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post

1. Todd Bertuzzi - Stay healthy and double the production Nolan provided.
2. Rene Bourque - To become a fan favorite.
3. Dustin Boyd - Career numbers across the board.
4. Mike Cammalleri - 60ish points will be fine with me.
5. Craig Conroy - Solid on interviews and defensive play.
6. Curtis Glencross - A better Shean Donovan.
7. Jarome Iginla - More of the same.
8. Daymond Langkow - More of the same
9. Matthew Lombardi - Top 6 role = 50+ points.
10. Jamie Lundmark - AHL
11. David Moss - 15 goals and continued improvement in a Holmstrom role.
12. Eric Nystrom - Energy and slightly more points.
13. Andre Roy - 20+ scraps
14. Adrian Aucoin - Stay healthy and no Erikssonian moments.
15. Mark Giordano - 10+ goals, 30+ points.
16. Dion Phaneuf - More of the same.
17. Robyn Regehr - More of the same.
18. Cory Sarich - To prove last year was an anomaly.
19. James Vandermeer - More of the same.
20. Brandon Prust - To make the team out of camp and be our own Jared Boll.
20. Miikka Kiprusoff - Top 12 in every goalie category.
21. Curtis McElhinney - A few starts and one or two conditioning stints to QC.
1. No Eriksson
2. Make the playoffs
3. Allow fewer goals.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 10:38 AM
  #18
scoringmachine
Registered User
 
scoringmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Why do you see Boyd as a long shot? Why is Lundmark on the team?
When I wrote this thread I was not thinking properly as I should have put the long shot to make the team to Lundmark instead of Dustin Boyd.

Also my expectation for this team is to hope that they can play with more consistency then in past years. If the team plays with more consistency they will make the playoffs and should do well against any team in the league.


Last edited by scoringmachine: 08-30-2008 at 10:44 AM.
scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 11:11 AM
  #19
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,681
vCash: 500
Things I'm hoping for:

- A better start to the season
- More consistent play throughout the year
- Improved road record
- Better penalty killing
- At least one playoff series win

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 12:26 PM
  #20
Wise_one
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Where is Primeau, He will make it over Lundmark in a heartbeat.

Wise_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 12:32 PM
  #21
debil
Registered User
 
debil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nitra, Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
1. much better defence
2. 2nd round

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 02:44 PM
  #22
scoringmachine
Registered User
 
scoringmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_one View Post
Where is Primeau, He will make it over Lundmark in a heartbeat.
Some Flames fans and the media are to blame for me not putting Wayne Primeau on the list. Wayne Primeau I felt during the second part of the season did very well. Unfortunately once the Flames were eliminated in the first round people started to hate certain players and Primeau was one of them. When the fans and media started making trade rumors, or stating the negative things about Primeau I felt it was more likely the GM of the team will likely hear the comments and follow what the fans and media want. Basically Primeau will end up in the minors during the season or traded before the season starts and if he still a Flames come opening day he will end up like Huselius not much playing time and eventually traded or wait till end of the season to get rid of him.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 02:59 PM
  #23
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Some Flames fans and the media are to blame for me not putting Wayne Primeau on the list.

Nice work, Rich Stubler.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:43 PM
  #24
Snoil11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
When the fans and media started making trade rumors, or stating the negative things about Primeau I felt it was more likely the GM of the team will likely hear the comments and follow what the fans and media want.
If Sutter cared about the public opinion, he would not have acquired Bertuzzi. Thus said, I am pretty certain, that if Sutter ships him out of town (don't say that he will), it won't be due to the media's chivvy of Primeau.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 12:15 AM
  #25
abracanada
Registered User
 
abracanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
I expect the Flames to become a team this year. A little unity under Keenan should go a long way in turning things around. They gave Playfair the reigns for a while, but I believe there were problems there, and it took a while for Keenan to figure out how to make the necessary changes. I am pretty sure he had strained relationships with some of the players who are going (or may be going). Tanguay, Huselius and Nilsson for sure. Kiprusoff maybe too. I hope they have repaired any damage that may have been done there.

Things will likely be better now that this is Keenan's team. Bertuzzi is a Keenan favorite, Glencross and Bourque should be his type of player. As mentioned before, I worry a bit about Keenan and Kipper. The trip to Finland for Keenan, with Jamie McLennan in tow, appears to me like a clear cut attempt at mending fences. If that is done, this team just got one hell of a lot more dangerous.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.