Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you expect from this team?

Old
08-31-2008, 11:01 PM
saillias

vCash: 500
I don't believe there was anything to mend in the first place.

The media, fans from 29 other teams, and even some of our own fans had manufactured the idea that Keenan was going to ruin Kiprusoff and run him out of town the day Sutter picked him up. Completely manufactured drama just based on some silly reputation of being a 'goalie killer'. If it was Sutter or Playfair behind the bench last year, and doing the exact same things that Keenan did in regards to pulling Kiprusoff in certain games, there would be no story.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
The trip to Finland for Keenan, with Jamie McLennan in tow, appears to me like a clear cut attempt at mending fences. If that is done, this team just got one hell of a lot more dangerous.
How do we even know if there was any fences to mend? Oh that is right Kipper didn't address the media on garbage day! Big fricking whoop, when has Kipper ever addressed the media on garbage day (or ever offered an interview if it wasn't by Mahr or Kerr)? I'll tell you never, this conflict was made-up by the media and fans of other teams. The sad thing is that some Flames Fans bought into it.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 01:40 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

The media, fans from 29 other teams, and even some of our own fans had manufactured the idea that Keenan was going to ruin Kiprusoff and run him out of town the day Sutter picked him up. Completely manufactured drama just based on some silly reputation of being a 'goalie killer'. If it was Sutter or Playfair behind the bench last year, and doing the exact same things that Keenan did in regards to pulling Kiprusoff in certain games, there would be no story.
So true. Really is unfortunate. The Calgary media will have a field day with this everytime Kipper is pulled this year.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 01:49 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 01:50 AM
KiwiFlamesFan

I want to see them get their identity back (hard nosed, tough hockey) and get to the second round. If they can do that then I think 09-10 will be a season to get excited about.

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 656
I just wanna see the second round...

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

I expect no less than the second round this year. Bare bones minimum. Can they win the Holy Grail? Why not? 1 of 30 teams has to, and the Flames have just as much chance as anyone (except Vancouver lol I couldn't resist).

Do I expect a cup? no Am I hoping for it? As any true fan should say Yes. Do I believe we have a real shot at it? Again Yes.

But as for minimum expectations: 2nd round or this season is a complete loss IMO.

Last edited by Lanny'sDaMan: 09-02-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: I r dumb
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I expect no less than the second round this year. Bare bones minimum. Can they win the Holy Grail? Why not? 1 of 32 teams has to, and the Flames have just as much chance as anyone (except Vancouver lol I couldn't resist).

Do I expect a cup? no Am I hoping for it? As any true fan should say Yes. Do I believe we have a real shot at it? Again Yes.

But as for minimum expectations: 2nd round or this season is a complete loss IMO.
Lanny did I miss an expansion?

as for my expectations... NW Champs & a 2nd round appearance

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Lanny did I miss an expansion?

as for my expectations... NW Champs & a 2nd round appearance
Hahahah what the hell was I thinking? No more posting whilst faxing, on the phone, and eating.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
R U A Flamer

Contend for playoff spot
miss and good bye keenan and sutter

R U A Flamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:02 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I expect no less than the second round this year. Bare bones minimum. Can they win the Holy Grail? Why not? 1 of 30 teams has to, and the Flames have just as much chance as anyone (except Vancouver lol I couldn't resist).

Well said, sums it all up. Thye cup is always the goal, anything less is defeatist talk but seeing some movement is also all warm and fuzzy but that will make cup fever even higher...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
R U A Flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I expect the Flames to become a team this year. A little unity under Keenan should go a long way in turning things around. They gave Playfair the reigns for a while, but I believe there were problems there, and it took a while for Keenan to figure out how to make the necessary changes. I am pretty sure he had strained relationships with some of the players who are going (or may be going). Tanguay, Huselius and Nilsson for sure. Kiprusoff maybe too. I hope they have repaired any damage that may have been done there.

Things will likely be better now that this is Keenan's team. Bertuzzi is a Keenan favorite, Glencross and Bourque should be his type of player. As mentioned before, I worry a bit about Keenan and Kipper. The trip to Finland for Keenan, with Jamie McLennan in tow, appears to me like a clear cut attempt at mending fences. If that is done, this team just got one hell of a lot more dangerous.
use your brain. Iron mike achieved the same results as Playfair. I expect MK to to be MK the fifth winningest coach in the nhl and fourth losingest (Sp). If the flames dont get great start MK will be sun tanning in Florida and Sutter will beback milking cows before Xmas.

R U A Flamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Hit Somebody

Quote:

I could not agree more. Every move that Keenan makes that the media doesn't agree with, gets unneccessary publicity. This scenario gets old very quickly.
He's paid to coach and to win. He's doing what he thinks is right.
When you have high paid atheltes that aren't performing, or you are looking to spark your team, a change needs to be made regardless of what the media or fans think.
If every coach worried about what the next days papers are going to say and coached that way, there would be no use for them.
If Playfair had made that move, or most any other coach it would be a non story.
It's only controversial because it's Keenan. But if you look at his resume, who would you rather have behind your bench? Him or some non emotional coach that has no idea of what it takes to be the best.
Yes, he's a hard ass, but if you play hard and work hard, there's no problem.
If Huselius can't play for Keenan, Hitch won't be much different.

As for where they'll finish, I honestly tink that they can win the division, and shold get at least to the second round, and with a bit of luck could make the conference finals.

Hit Somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Actually, Keenan did not show me last year that his results were any different than Playfairs. If Keenan has a great year and the Flames accomplish something, I will be acknowledge it but in the same amount of time Keenan and Playfair gave similar performances with a similar team. I fail to see what Keenan did that was so great last year to warrant another shot if Playfair didn't. I'm not saying I want Playfair back as coach, but I am asking objectively.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
swany

As an Oiler fan I expect the Flames to be very hard to play against. Kipper will be back to form, Dion will be better and Robin will look to kill all our forwards as usual. I think this is the year we finaly get to see a good old battle of Alberta in the reg season and the Playoffs. I hope to see a Calgary Edmonton second round playoff series this year, have a good season Flames fans. Oilers Rule

swany is offline   Reply With Quote