HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal/Anahiem

Old
08-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Airborne Troll*

vCash: 500
The Ducks get ****ed in this one

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Chelios The Great

Scheiner yes but not at any price

Sure i would take Schneider which BTW is better than Streit! but not at any price, and we sure do not need Marchant, we let Smolinski go because he was too slow so Marchant will not help us.

As for the comment that Mtl fans dont like Chipchura on the 3rd line as center, where does that come from???????

Chelios The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senators Master View Post
The Ducks get ****ed in this one
Wait to see the actual trade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios The Great View Post
Sure i would take Schneider which BTW is better than Streit! but not at any price, and we sure do not need Marchant, we let Smolinski go because he was too slow so Marchant will not help us.

As for the comment that Mtl fans dont like Chipchura on the 3rd line as center, where does that come from???????
Where were you all summer? All Habs fans have been ******** on Chipchura all summer long, they seem him on our 4th line with a potential of 30 pts, I mean.. w.t.f.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Krautso

Quote:

I don't think Marchant is known for being slow. Quite the opposite.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Chelios The Great

we have a new representative for all MTl fans

I missed the press release designating you as the representative for all Mtl fans! one of your buddies telling you doesnt make it all mtl fans.

and if you are saying that Marchant will bring more to the club than Chipchura it just shows how much you know about hockey

Old
08-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Chelios The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I don't think Marchant is known for being slow. Quite the opposite.
yes 5 years ago, not so much now

Old
08-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Pepper

Quote:
and if you are saying that Marchant will bring more to the club than Chipchura it just shows how much you know about hockey
Well, Marchant brings more defensive ability, experience and PK-skill than Chipchura.

Note that I'm not saying Marchant is better than Chipchura overall, but there are areas where Marchant is better.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Krautso

Quote:
yes 5 years ago, not so much now
I'll admit I haven't seen him much in the past few years. If he doesn't have the wheels any more, well....that was pretty much his whole game.

I think Chips will be on the squad this year either way, and playing meaningful minutes.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Chelios The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I'll admit I haven't seen him much in the past few years. If he doesn't have the wheels any more, well....that was pretty much his whole game.

I think Chips will be on the squad this year either way, and playing meaningful minutes.
Could not agree more!

Old
08-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Chelios The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Well, Marchant brings more defensive ability, experience and PK-skill than Chipchura.

Note that I'm not saying Marchant is better than Chipchura overall, but there are areas where Marchant is better.
Experience 100%, but at over 2M$ a year i do not think he is worthed compared to a Chipchura who has very good skills PK and brings leadership for the years to come in MTL, i would rather give Chipchura a full chance

Old
09-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Experience 100%, but at over 2M$ a year i do not think he is worthed compared to a Chipchura who has very good skills PK and brings leadership for the years to come in MTL, i would rather give Chipchura a full chance
Right now the cap hits are extremely relative. Based on the (quite reasonable) precondition that Sundin is going to retire or sign with some other team than Montreal, the fact is that Habs have 6,5 million in cap space and can add 1,7 million extra if Dandenault is heading the other direction (and another 1,0 million if Begin joins Dandy).

Sure, Marchant has cap hit of 2,5 million. But in complete trade (Schneider + Marchant for Dandenault and Begin), Habs would add 8,143 million salary, that would be of the books next season, compared their 9,346 million of cap space that would do nothing during the coming season. Even if the cap hit is big, if it does not affect other moves (ie. expires after the season and there is not better use for the cap space available), cap hit doesn't really matter that much.

Montreal would still have cap space for late season additions (1 million cap space allows quite big moves on deadline), but also have more tools for the season to come.

It might be important to develop Chipchura, but competing the up coming season will be more important. If Chip can outplay Marchant for the 3rd line center duty, Habs are doin fine. But if Chip fails to outplay Lapierre for the 3rd line center spot and Montreal goes to the season with Koivu-Plekanec-Lapierre-Chipchura quartet, I would prefer Koivu-Plekanec-Marchant-Chipchura option.

One last note, I would think that accepting Marchant in the deal would be way of getting Schneider for a bit cheaper price and allowing Gainey to persue Burke taking more salary back. Schneider for Dandenault gives Anaheim 3,9 million cap space, bringing Ducks barely under cap and Marchant for Begin would give an additional 1,5 million, allowing Burke to offer 1,5 million to Teemu.

Naturally everything depends on the other offers Burke has on table. If he can move Schneider and Marchant for picks while bringing up Salcido (850k cap hit) and Wirtanen (500k cap hit), Anaheim would open way more cap space and budget room, so that could be more intriquing offer.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 03:56 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Sure, giving a chance to Chipchura is great and all but rebuilding process is done now, Habs are aiming at the cup...

and if to win one it means Chipchura "sitting" most of the year (or in the AHL) then so be it.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 04:24 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Marchant is pretty quick, he is not slow.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 04:37 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Based on the descriptions thus far, I'd be inclined to take the whole package, including Marchant. While it may be "ideal" for the Habs to pick up a forward with a higher ceiling, I'm not sure that beast exists out there. We can also stand to improve the true defensive ability of our forward group. Fitting in with the team speed is also a bonus. We have some muckers, and we have some talented guys who sometimes do ok on the PK, but (aside from hopes pinned to kids like Chipchura), we don't have any REAL defensive forwards per se.

I don't know if Smolinski was supposed to do that for us last year or not... he didn't. He was a vaguely versatile player who sometimes chipped in and sometimes struggled to keep up with the pace of the game. If Marchant could slot into that spot in our roster more effectively than Smolinski did, that would still be something we could stand to add to the team IMHO. And if ultimately a kid like Chipchura does step up and force Marchant to the sidelines, all the better. I don't think Marchant will be untradeable as the season marches on and his cap hit declines, if he has no more seasons left on it. I don't see how we can lose on it, all supposing we don't find any better uses out there for our current cap space.
The best thing I can say about Marchant is...he's the type of guy that steps it up in the playoffs. He does whatever it takes to win and trust me, we do not want to lose him but he makes too much for the ducks right now.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 02:20 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
This was proposed on the Habs board:

Schneider

for

Dandenault and Dagostini

Old
09-02-2008, 03:39 PM
revin5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
Kositsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Chipchura-Kostitsyn
Lappierre-Marchant-Laraque
Kostopoulos,Bégin, Stewart

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-O'byrne
Schneider-Georges
Bouillon, Valentenko

Price
Halak

NOT BAD!
absolutely horrible.

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
This was proposed on the Habs board:

Schneider

for

Dandenault and Dagostini
how about Schneider for a 3rd?

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
CH4

What is going on in this tread of Habs fan noobs that double and triple post?

To all of you that recognize themselves, there is an EDIT button, it is not there for nothing... triple post and have 27 in total

As stated by Lord Chezz believe Schneider for Dago and Dandenault would be a good trade for the Habs, we don't really need Marchant, even if I used to like him much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
The issue is that we need to get rid of Dandenault

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
absolutely horrible.
You misquote or something?

Quote:
I would do that for sure.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Duckguy

Marchant is still extremely fast. Probably the fastest Duck after McDonald left. Honestly if we didnt have Sami and Ryan Carter I would not be willing to trade him for scraps.

Duckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Id do that, but its kind of a two way street here.

You guys need to shed some salary and we need to dump a guy who has no place on the team.

Mind you, Dandy is still very serviceable, but the Habs would rather play some kids in his place.

And Dagostini is a project but could be a very solid prospect

Old
09-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Id do that, but its kind of a two way street here.

You guys need to shed some salary and we need to dump a guy who has no place on the team.

Mind you, Dandy is still very serviceable, but the Habs would rather play some kids in his place.

And Dagostini is a project but could be a very solid prospect
The ducks aren't looking to take back any salary for Schneider. Once Sundin makes up his mind it will free up other teams to make a move on Schneider without dumping useless salary back at the Ducks.

I like the original trade, Ducks take salary back but can afford to by moving Marchant's contract with Schneider's. Montreal gets two solid players on one year contracts for free, and the Ducks can afford to sign Selanne and get under the cap.

If you don't want Marchant for a year, then get ready to move a pick for Schneider instead of salary.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
The ducks aren't looking to take back any salary for Schneider. Once Sundin makes up his mind it will free up other teams to make a move on Schneider without dumping useless salary back at the Ducks.

I like the original trade, Ducks take salary back but can afford to by moving Marchant's contract with Schneider's. Montreal gets two solid players on one year contracts for free, and the Ducks can afford to sign Selanne and get under the cap.

If you don't want Marchant for a year, then get ready to move a pick for Schneider instead of salary.
Agreed, especially on the last point. Habs don't need Marchant. They need a centerman with size who can fill-in on the top two lines in case of injury to Koivu or Plekanec.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Agreed, especially on the last point. Habs don't need Marchant. They need a centerman with size who can fill-in on the top two lines in case of injury to Koivu or Plekanec.
Those arent abundant at the moment...and we'd probably have to overpay for one

Old
09-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Those arent abundant at the moment...and we'd probably have to overpay for one
If that's the case, give the young guys (Chipchura and Lapierre) a shot, keep your fingers crossed that nothing happens to Koivu and Plekanec. If something does happen, the market may be different by that time... Personally, I'd inquire about Robert Lang. If the price is right, pull the trigger, but not at any price.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote