HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Work visa questions

Old
08-29-2008, 03:47 AM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

vCash: 500
Work visa questions

Hey all,
Currently I am abroad (in Riga) and 1.5 months into my travels. I like Europe (a lot), and I have decided that I would not mind working here. I have come to the point where I have fully updated my CV, and have been looking for positions here in Europe. However, as usual, I have a few questions:

A work permit is necessary to seek employ in a foreign country. Canada has a working agreement with most countries in Europe that for young people (18-35), it is relatively easy to work for up to ONE year.

Some of the jobs I have been looking at claim that I must already have a Visa before applying. Is it worthwhile applying to them even though I do not (perhaps explaining that I could get one)?

How long does it take to get a Visa?

Is it easier if you already have a job offer?

Can I get a Visa while not physically being located in Canada? (Truth be told, certain... organizations still think that I am in Canada, as I have a friend who is excellent at reproducing my endorsement - so if it is a matter of mailing and signing something, aka me not showing up... in person, id in hand, it should be doable)?

I realize, in theory, I should just pick a country and get a visa, then move there and search for work. However, the thought of isolating myself to one option... and having other opportunities pass me by is not cool. aka I would like to leave my options open.

When I apply, should I make any mention of a Visa in my cover letter? Should I say that i am elligible for one, or that I even have one? Can I assume that organizations will not be concerned with my Visa status?

I am really a complete newbie at all of this, and I am at the stage where I have found some interesting options and would like to apply. However, I want to apply correctly lest I waste my time. Should I apply like I would jobs at home?

Lastly....

When applying for these jobs, what do I list for my address? My phone number (phoneless)? I do not want to appear like the homeless bum that I am.

Thanks very much.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 06:24 AM
bassassin

Dont know about Latvia specifically, but in the UK (and so I presume most of Europe) if you need a work permit to work here you have to have one upon applying for the job, it will be checked up on especially if it is a large chain business. However having been to Riga before I'm not sure it would be the same there, and even if it was, most local businesses might not care, so it depends what size of business you would be applying for.

No idea how to apply for one though sorry.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

I can't give you much help with that, however if you wouldn't mind living somewhere in Europe for the next couple years I'd recommend getting a second citizenship in a member of the EU country, that way you can work in all other EU countries (as well as Norway and Switzerland) without visas and such, that can take a couple years to get though.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 06:31 AM
cynicism

You ask many questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm speaking from experience in the UK, the EU might be similar. you need a work permit before you can start working. Its something your (future) employer has to fill out for you (they also have to pay a fee). Your (future) employer should be made aware of this so basically you must have the job offered first before you get your visa because your visa is employer-specific (they, in essence, sponsor you).

In the UK work permits are only issued for certain fields that the home office has identified as being in demand. You need to be in Canada for the Visa to be issued because you have to submit the paperwork to the appropriate consulate/embassy/high commission.

I know limiting yourself isn't fun but you should really pick one country and try there. You should go to the EU's website (www.workpermit.com is a decent website)

There's also a working holiday Visa, but thats more reccomended if you're gonna be working PT.

Hope this helps and I hope you find your way to something, working/living abroad is an interesting experience. You should also consider practical things as well (Whats the salary, what are the living expenses, etc)

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Thanks for the tips:

1. I'm interesting working mainly in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland... possibly the Czech Republic, UK, Spain, Poland.

2. I understand I have to submit paperwork to an embassy or consulate in Canada, however my home is in Western Canada. Thousands of KMS from Ottawa. Whats the difference if I submit it from here? Can't I get someone else, like a friend, to fill out the information for me?

3. Right now I am mainly wanting to apply to international organizations, NGOs, NPOs, etc.

So should I just bite the bullet and get some form of Visa for a country (even a short term one in hopes of getting it extended)?

Or should I just apply to jobs and hope they will hire and endorse me?

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
You ask many questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm speaking from experience in the UK, the EU might be similar. you need a work permit before you can start working. Its something your (future) employer has to fill out for you (they also have to pay a fee). Your (future) employer should be made aware of this so basically you must have the job offered first before you get your visa because your visa is employer-specific (they, in essence, sponsor you).

In the UK work permits are only issued for certain fields that the home office has identified as being in demand. You need to be in Canada for the Visa to be issued because you have to submit the paperwork to the appropriate consulate/embassy/high commission.

I know limiting yourself isn't fun but you should really pick one country and try there. You should go to the EU's website (www.workpermit.com is a decent website)

There's also a working holiday Visa, but thats more reccomended if you're gonna be working PT.

Hope this helps and I hope you find your way to something, working/living abroad is an interesting experience. You should also consider practical things as well (Whats the salary, what are the living expenses, etc)

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Thanks for the tips:

1. I'm interesting working mainly in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland... possibly the Czech Republic, UK, Spain, Poland.

2. I understand I have to submit paperwork to an embassy or consulate in Canada, however my home is in Western Canada. Thousands of KMS from Ottawa. Whats the difference if I submit it from here? Can't I get someone else, like a friend, to fill out the information for me?

3. Right now I am mainly wanting to apply to international organizations, NGOs, NPOs, etc.

So should I just bite the bullet and get some form of Visa for a country (even a short term one in hopes of getting it extended)?

Or should I just apply to jobs and hope they will hire and endorse me?

Thanks for the tips, guys.
As for working in the UK, were any of your grandparents born in there? If so, as a Canadian citizen, you should be eligible for an ancestry visa. It's good for five years (after which you can apply for an indefinite extension and apply for citizenship one year after that) and you do not need to have a job already lined up. You just have to declare your intention to find work once you get there.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 08:15 AM
tylerbear*

A lot of the time the place of your work will take care of your work visa for you.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote