HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Akim Aliu @ London

Old
08-30-2008, 07:18 AM
SimonTemplar

vCash: 500
Akim Aliu @ London

Seems Aliu had a little set-to with Dale Hunter at scrimmage on Thursday for dogging it. Both it sounds like dug in their heels saying words back and forth with Aliu getting sent off.

Word has it now he has been sent home for the timed being. This is all still pretty new with nothing from the Knight's yet as to what they will do. But I can say if Aliu did have words with Dale Hunter it won't be good. He and Mark are absolutely firm on players being commited to their team.

Anything comes up we will pass it on.

Simon

http://theworldofjuniorhockey.blogspot.com/search?q=

With a contract in hand with the Chicago Blackhawks, could Akem Aliu be out of London? From a source in London, Dale Hunter the coach didn't like the effort Aliu was putting into practice and Aliu fired back. According to the source and the people at camp, Hunter "told Akim to pack his bags"

To add some intrigue to the Akim Aliu story, he wasn't in the line up tonight against Sarnia Sting. It was the first exhibition game for both clubs. The Knights defeated the Sting 4-1. Maybe the team wanted to see a few more players in game action but looking at their roster, it looked like the roster you would see in the regular season. There were a few players missing but I would say the roster had 90% of the regulars.

It should be interesting to see what happens the next few days. I am sure the London Knights could get some value for him.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Kid's been nothing but trouble his entire career, and in a year when he should be working as hard as he can to show that he can be a team player, he gets kicked off the ice before the season even gets started.

Last edited by Teemu: 10-08-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:01 AM
mintsauce

Send a message via MSN to mintsauce
He'll get the chance to play a few games with the Hawks. Either he'll do well, or it'll be a short, sharp wake-up call for him.

mintsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 02:16 PM
hawksfan50

it could be Aliu was dogging it because he did not want to sustain injury prior to getting his big chance at main camp with the Hawks....Hunter may not like it--but this is a frequent and expected behaviour from guys with NHl contracts at Jumior pre-season camps--why should they goive 100% effort when: i) they might not be with the jr. team and 2) at 100% effort they might pull a muscle and ruin their changes before it even starts at the NHL'team's main camp in a few weeks...On the other hand,Hunter wants to show the guys who cerrtainly willbe on his team who the boss is and how he wants 1005 efoort--so we have cross purposes here... This is similar to the pro situation where "vets" oftendo not give 100% in pre-season --or at least till the final few pre-season games...In early games many "vets" often dog it..Always was so in the NHL unless a guy wass considered on the bubble.If he has a spot basically locked up,such vets often use p[re-season as a mere tune-up asnd hold baxk in meaningless games.. A coach who knows what his vets can do doesn't rip them in pre-season ..He understands..In junior its a bit different,BUT Hunter should understand why Aliu is holding back..why should he put it all out andrisk injury for a meaningless pre-season Jr. game..especially if he believes he'll makew the NHl team and won't even be there? Of course Aliu can't be certain of that scenario..so he should have "taken it " from the stupid Hunter ,and the idiot Hunter should not have jeopardized his club's chance to go all the way by alienating Aliu (in case Aliu fails to make the Hawks) and being forced totrade him to another Junior team just to make a point (to show his team he's boss).

In this case,I see BOTH aliu and Hunter as stubborn idiots..Hunter should have realized Aliu's circumstance and eased off until Aliu got back from the Hawks in several weeks --for if he must trade him to make his point the return may not pay immediate dividends this season (bye bye Memorial Cup)..Aliu should have taken the abse from Hunter and kept his yap shut..and somebody(Aliu's agent?) should have told Hunter to cool it--that IF Aliu was sent down by the Hawks in a few weeks,that would be good for ALIU,and very good for London. Instead it appears that BOTH Hunter and ALIU have been very foolish.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:12 PM
massivegoonery

Not to give credence to HF50's wild speculation but wasn't Aliu nursing an injury at training camp last year?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
not dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Not to give credence to HF50's wild speculation but wasn't Aliu nursing an injury at training camp last year?
HF50 is wild speculation personified.
I think Aliu may have had a little something last year but I don't really remember to be honest.

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:40 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by not dominator View Post
HF50 is wild speculation personified.
I think Aliu may have had a little something last year but I don't really remember to be honest.
No kidding.

In this case,I see BOTH aliu and Hunter as stubborn idiots..Hunter should have realized Aliu's circumstance and eased off until Aliu got back from the Hawks in several weeks --for if he must trade him to make his point the return may not pay immediate dividends this season (bye bye Memorial Cup)..Aliu should have taken the abse from Hunter and kept his yap shut..and somebody(Aliu's agent?) should have told Hunter to cool it--that IF Aliu was sent down by the Hawks in a few weeks,that would be good for ALIU,and very good for London. Instead it appears that BOTH Hunter and ALIU have been very foolish.

I get very confused reading this.

And I also doubt Dale or Mark Hunter would shut up and just take abuse from some rookie kid. Not likely since they are both very similar to Tallon coming from that Old School of hockey knocks.

I imagine Mr Aliu is done in London and will become Chicago's headache now.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:57 PM
The Poofer*

Aliu will never be an NHL'er for the simple fact hes a failure in life.

Ty Jones, your table is ready.......

The Poofer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
AngryBoss

I don't see Aliu as being a failure in life or carrying baggage with him.
If it weren't for the Steve Downie incident none of this kind of stuff would be said about him.
And what was that whole incident about? Akim refused to go through a hazing on a team bus* and had the audacity to look at one of Downie's sticks prior to practice. Wow! What a headcase!

I live in the Windsor area, and from speaking to people who were close to the team it sounds as if Downie did not like a 16-year old questioning veterans 'rules'.
It all escalated finally where Downie started a scrap with Aliu during practice where he got his midget ass beat. After both being sent off the ice, Downie - still fuming from getting beaten up - attacked him in the equipment room where he was once again beaten up.
When they finally calmed things down, the two returned to the ice where Downie cheapshotted Aliu with a stick to the chops.

If anything, Downie should have been labeled the psychopath. Instead, whispers start flowing through hockey corridors about Aliu being a problem player.

I'm not saying he's perfect and it sounds quite obvious he's too bullheaded at times, but I think this kid got a raw deal for doing something that few can - stand up for himself.

* The hazing incident was where all the rookies were forced to strip down and then dress themselves while forced in the bus washroom like sardines. I would have refused this as well. What is it with hazings with deep homosexual overtones to them?

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:28 PM
cupcrazyman
Homer J Fong

Downey is a punk.he jumped off the bench at practise went after Alui & crossed checked Alui in the mouth causing him to lose 3 teeth.if i was Downey,i'd be mad too if a 16 year old almost beat me in a fight.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
lfchockey*

there is a lot more to it than the media let out. You have to remember the hazing incidents that were coming to light at that time and Downie got painted with 'bad guy' brush here by the media. However, those in hockey that know more of the inside story about some of the other things that were happening, show why Aliu slipped in the draft and started being seen as a problem (which he is).
Don't get me wrong...as a die-hard Hawks fan, I truly hope that Aliu matures and is a regular power-forward for the Hawks in a couple of years. But I think anyone is crazy to blame only Downie for what happened in Windsor.

I guess you have to actually play a high level of hockey to understand about the idea of initiations. It's about showing that you are willing to sacrifice for your teammates and has NOTHING to do with homosexual tendencies. Any tight knit group/organization of men, where you depend on each other has some types of hazing rituals (the Masons, fraternities, Marines etc)

I hate Downie, but I believe he was in the right for what he did and I guarantee the guys on the team respect him for stepping up as the captain! It's something that non-hockey players could ever understand.

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfchockey View Post
I guess you have to actually play a high level of hockey to understand about the idea of initiations. It's about showing that you are willing to sacrifice for your teammates and has NOTHING to do with homosexual tendencies. Any tight knit group/organization of men, where you depend on each other has some types of hazing rituals (the Masons, fraternities, Marines etc)

I hate Downie, but I believe he was in the right for what he did and I guarantee the guys on the team respect him for stepping up as the captain! It's something that non-hockey players could ever understand.
It was that sort of thinking that led directly to the Bertuzzi incident.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
GaryU

Downie has showed some very interesting 'Leadership' qualities...Not sure I'd want him 'teaching' a 16 yr old in that manner..

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:58 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
there is a lot more to it than the media let out. You have to remember the hazing incidents that were coming to light at that time and Downie got painted with 'bad guy' brush here by the media. However, those in hockey that know more of the inside story about some of the other things that were happening, show why Aliu slipped in the draft and started being seen as a problem (which he is).
Don't get me wrong...as a die-hard Hawks fan, I truly hope that Aliu matures and is a regular power-forward for the Hawks in a couple of years. But I think anyone is crazy to blame only Downie for what happened in Windsor.

Has nothing to do with homosexual tendancies??? Are you crazy?

Aliu: "I'm not going in that bathroom naked with a bunch of other dudes.
Team: What the hell?? How can anyone know if you're a good teammate if you don't? Get 'em Downie!

I can think of 1000 different ways to prove you're willing to go through a wall for your teammates and none of them include getting naked in close quarters with teammates.
It's gay. Plain and simple. And anyone who thinks it's fun or should have to do it obviously has some issues with their own sexuality.

And I always love how everyone justifies it by playing the snob card of "I guess you have to play a high level of hockey to understand it".
So I guess you have to engage in homosexual activity against your will to be a pro? I'm glad I'm not an NHLer then.
Again, if you want to prove you're willing to sacrifice for your teammates, stick up for them in games. Play hard on every shift. Be there for them when they need a hand or an ear to speak in.
I have friends who I know will always be there for me and I've never asked them to get dressed naked with 12 other guys in a bathroom to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
It was that sort of thinking that led directly to the Bertuzzi incident.
Or the recent incident in the US where some highschool football players were sodomized with a broom stick as a hazing ritual. I guess that's the ultimate way to say "I'm your man!".

Nobody on this planet will ever be able to convince me that this type of behavior is necessary to prove myself. And no hockey snobbery will change that.

P.S. I don't think I will ever hear the day where Steve Yzerman crosschecked someone in the face because he didn't perform some homo-act.
And I'm pretty sure the NHL is the highest level of hockey. This is just guys using an excuse to act out. Plain and simple.

Last edited by AngryBoss: 09-16-2008 at 03:11 PM.
AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Hawksfan2828

If I was in Aliu's shoes I would have done the same thing. Obviously he has never been the most popular player on any team he has played on. The kid gets an NHL contract and is invited to the Blackhawks rookie and pro camps and Hunter wants him to go balls out on the ice? Why? whats good in it for Aliu?... If I was Aliu I would have told Hunter that 'I dont want to get hurt before my Blackhawks camps, I'm a drafted player with an NHL contract right now and I dont intend to play in minor pro for the rest of my career'.

Only a fool would play hard at a camp before they were to go to there NHL camp.

Thats not having a bad attitude thats called being smart. I mean Aliu is playing full time in Rockford next season if not the Hawks.

Last season alot of people thought Kane was going to have a cup of tea in the NHL be sent back down and what happend? ROY... I'm not saying Aliu is Kane but what I am saying is anything can happen and at this point of the summer he should be commitied to the Indian Head and not the Knights! As of right now he is a memeber of the Chicago Blackhawks and has a shot at making the team. I dont think Aliu's goal at this point is to go back to London, its to make the Blackhawks roster. Telling him to break his butt for London is like telling him he has no chance to make the Hawks roster. Hunter being a former NHL player should know this already.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 05:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
I've played hockey at a somewhat high organized level. Being forced to carry the vets bags or luggage to/from the bus or running laps is one thing. Being told that I need you to strip naked and cram into a bus bathroom with a bunch of other naked men is entirely another. Doing something wrong because it's been a "way of life" is still doing something wrong. I've never met Aliu or Downie, but if my captain came off the bench and blindsided another one of my teammates by crosschecking him in the face, I certainly wouldn't give a damn what he had to say.

09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I've played hockey at a somewhat high organized level. Being forced to carry the vets bags or luggage to/from the bus or running laps is one thing. Being told that I need you to strip naked and cram into a bus bathroom with a bunch of other naked men is entirely another. Doing something wrong because it's been a "way of life" is still doing something wrong. I've never met Aliu or Downie, but if my captain came off the bench and blindsided another one of my teammates by crosschecking him in the face, I certainly wouldn't give a damn what he had to say.
Lets not forget a REAL captain wouldnt put up with odd homoerotic hazing. Like you said, carry some bags or find some cockroaches in your skates thats something different then being told you have to strip down naked and go into a bus bathroom with 3 other naked guys?

I think Downey is a true homosexual for making guys do that... I mean there is something really wrong with that if someone thinks thats funny.

That wasnt only immature but its boarder line sexual perversion.

Its not like Aliu said 'im not going to carry your bags or buy tour dinners' Aliu said "I'm not getting naked and going into a small bathroom with 3 other naked guys"

He did the right thing when things went too far.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:34 AM
MsWoof

Wow, all of you keep defending him and blame Downie for everything. What about the 2 suspensions handed down to him in Sudbury? Were they Downie's fault, too? And what about the issues with his billets and schools? Was it Downie's fault that he had to change those because he was getting in fights? Face it, you guys have a heck of a problem on your hands. Every OHL city he's been in knows all too well what kind of person he is. You'll find soon enough.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:06 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Wow, all of you keep defending him and blame Downie for everything. What about the 2 suspensions handed down to him in Sudbury? Were they Downie's fault, too? And what about the issues with his billets and schools?
Yes - the people here don't really understand the situation. He was a cancer in Windsor.. he was a cancer in Sudbury.. he is a cancer in London. I guess this is all Downie's fault

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:13 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
Yes - the people here don't really understand the situation. He was a cancer in Windsor.. he was a cancer in Sudbury.. he is a cancer in London. I guess this is all Downie's fault
What we really need is a countdown thread to see how long it is before someone on this board wants to trade him. You know it's going to happen soon enough because Aliu will have issues with yet another authority figure.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What we really need is a countdown thread to see how long it is before someone on this board wants to trade him. You know it's going to happen soon enough because Aliu will have issues with yet another authority figure.
Our resident "I'm really a Hawks fan, really!" Leafs fan Rattlehead already has.

All Aliu needs to do is grow up. If he doesn't, no big loss. If he doesn't, big gain. There's a lot of dumb shmucks at his age.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:45 PM
not dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Our resident "I'm really a Hawks fan, really!" Leafs fan Rattlehead already has.

All Aliu needs to do is grow up. If he doesn't, no big loss. If he doesn't, big gain. There's a lot of dumb shmucks at his age.
Yeah I fail to see how we have a problem on our hands. He's a prospect and just like the thousands of other prospects he isn't going to make or break this team if he doesn't work out. The 'Hawks took a calculated risk drafting the guy, he has the physical tools and we'll wait and see if he ever puts his head on straight. If not then oh well, its was just a second round pick in a shallow draft.

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by not dominator View Post
Yeah I fail to see how we have a problem on our hands. He's a prospect and just like the thousands of other prospects he isn't going to make or break this team if he doesn't work out. The 'Hawks took a calculated risk drafting the guy, he has the physical tools and we'll wait and see if he ever puts his head on straight. If not then oh well, its was just a second round pick in a shallow draft.
Agreed. I'll talk about his performance in various Blackhawks camps and in the AHL once he gets here but I'm done talking about his misadventures in the OHL.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I don't remember anybody defending his actions in Sudbury. I haven't even defended his actions in London. All I've said is that in the one situation I was talking about he wasn't the problem.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 11:00 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Downie was just plain out of line regardless of the hazing issue. First of all Downie is the last person in hockey to question behaviour issues. Secondly, you don't intentionally injure somebody to prove anything. There is no team ethic in that behaviour at all.

Hazing was banned. Particularly the humiliation type. It does nothing to promote team togetherness. It is merely an expression of yielding to a power structure. That might be a useful tool in war or the military. It has no place in sports. Imagine trying to degrade someone into respecting your authority anywhere else in life.

Aliu is a stubborn kid who needs to grow up. I don't think his behaviour had anything to do with wanting to go easy because of the upcoming camp. If anything Hawks fans should be pleased to know he worked really hard this off season because he really wants to make the bigs. In his only pre-season game he was great. Mind you there were stories about troubles after the game which led to Aliu leaving a week early for camp

This kid needs to channel his attitude. He has a lot of talent. He just gets stubborn at the wrong times. And shows it in the wrong ways. He needs to straighten out, otherwise I think his life will become a string of these stories.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote