HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Selanne: "I'm ready to return, Ducks are currently making room for my salary"

Old
08-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I see one of three things:

1. Burke trades Schneider for a quick fix.
2. Burke trades some lower tier players (Neidermayer, Marchant, O'Donnell, Paulsson, Beauchemin) in a bunch for a pick and a prospect.
3. Burke orchestrates a big time deal involving big players to shake up the roster completely and open up cap room for the future (Like, trading Giguere...)
1. To fix what? Salary would be the only quick fix, not a roster player.
2. Trade 4 or 5 roster players to dump salary instead of simply trading schneider and possibly marchant? Doesn't make sense.
3. Umm...we have like 15 players signed going on to next year, cap wise is fine. Also, the Ducks can compete for a cup THIS YEAR, they don't wanna blow it by trading big pieces to "shake up the roster".

None of those make sense, unles you meant the quick fix is salary.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The Ducks third line is solid but extremely one dimensional. More and more, teams are going to third lines that can not only check, but be somewhat of an offensive threat. This helps because it makes the line they're checking play a tad more conservatively. The Ducks lack this, and it really showed in the first round of last year's playoffs. When Ribeiro and Morrow didn't have to worry about getting caught up ice (I'd add Lehtinen, but Lehtinen always worries about stuff like that), they were able to take more risks and try and make better plays on offense because the Ducks third line did next to nothing on offense.

As for Selanne, what his announcement does do is continue to hamstring the Ducks in terms of making a trade for good value. Every team in the league knows, more than ever now, that the Ducks have to get rid of significant salary before the season. So they're not going to offer good deals for the Ducks' players. All the power lies with the other team in this scenario because the Ducks can't say "your deal sucks, so we're just going to keep our guys." They can't just keep their guys, now even more so.

The Ducks were already in this position before Selanne made his intentions public. It's just reinforcing that, and making their straits a little more dire.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 90
Schneider would have to be traded for picks/prospects. I can't see him being traded for roster players.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
The habs have enough skilled wingers to roll 3 offensive lines, way better than some plugs. Habs 3rd line will be even better this year now that they've ditched that loafer smolenski.
Are you seriously saying Pahlsson is a plug?

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
190Octane

The Stars took advantage of tha line being way less than 100% and the Ducks inability to kill penalties. How many of the points those two ********** scored were at even strength against Pahlsson's line as well?

I really hope the Ducks see Dallas in the playoffs this year because I think it will look a lot more like 2007 than last year did.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I know for a fact Schneider doesn't want to leave the L.A./Anaheim area. I'll be shocked if he isnt traded back to L.A.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:06 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

I see nothing wrong with what Selanne did. Still a long time before the season starts and it isn't in the middle. He made a decision.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:10 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I know for a fact Schneider doesn't want to leave the L.A./Anaheim area. I'll be shocked if he isnt traded back to L.A.
Why would he? You and I both live here, we know how awesome it is.

My question is, what's holding up the deal? LA definitely isn't in the Sundin sweepstakes and I seriously doubt Burke is worried about LA next year and next year is all that matters considering the length of Schneider's contract.

I think the Kings are too cheap to pay him.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:12 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Perhaps Schneider and a 2nd (Burke and Nonis both hate 2nd's) for the Brabarian Jeff Cowan, a player who has previously scored on a pace greater than any other NHL player for that period of time. (about 3 days)

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Geez...that 3rd line sucks and has been overated ever since it had their 15 games of fame in the playoffs when the Ducks won he cup. Niedermayer is a soft, over the hill veteran, Moen is just your regular 4th line grinder and well Pahlsson is good but doesn't bring a whole lot of offense.
Atleast pretend to know what you're talking about, part of anaheims problem last year was the shutdown line was never healthy.

Healthy Pahlsson and Niedermayer=trouble for everyone else

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
The Ducks third line is solid but extremely one dimensional. More and more, teams are going to third lines that can not only check, but be somewhat of an offensive threat. This helps because it makes the line they're checking play a tad more conservatively. The Ducks lack this, and it really showed in the first round of last year's playoffs. When Ribeiro and Morrow didn't have to worry about getting caught up ice (I'd add Lehtinen, but Lehtinen always worries about stuff like that), they were able to take more risks and try and make better plays on offense because the Ducks third line did next to nothing on offense.

As for Selanne, what his announcement does do is continue to hamstring the Ducks in terms of making a trade for good value. Every team in the league knows, more than ever now, that the Ducks have to get rid of significant salary before the season. So they're not going to offer good deals for the Ducks' players. All the power lies with the other team in this scenario because the Ducks can't say "your deal sucks, so we're just going to keep our guys." They can't just keep their guys, now even more so.

The Ducks were already in this position before Selanne made his intentions public. It's just reinforcing that, and making their straits a little more dire.
Not really, I think most people in hockey circles knew he was coming back, my guess is a trade is close and if not he can be a "training camp invite" until someone is moved.

Just seems like alot of wishful thinking in this thread, i've known Selanne was coming back for two months, if I know NHL GM's know.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Perhaps Schneider and a 2nd (Burke and Nonis both hate 2nd's) for the Brabarian Jeff Cowan, a player who has previously scored on a pace greater than any other NHL player for that period of time. (about 3 days)
First of all, Schneider does not have negative value.

Secondly, the Ducks want picks and prospects, no roster players. There are plenty of 4th line plugs on the roster already and we don't need another one.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral_CB View Post

Probably. Once they get O'Sullivan and Stoll signed they'll probably pretty close to the cap floor and likely won't need to add Schneider's salary to reach the cap floor. Then it becomes a question of whether or not it's worth it to spend the money on Schneider when they aren't planning on competing next season anyway. IMO it would be as Schneider's experience would be great for their young d-men, especially if Doughty makes the team. And at the deadline Schneider could be flipped for a pretty decent return.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Who needs Cowan? For Schneider + 2nd you will need to offer at least Krajicek.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Why would he? You and I both live here, we know how awesome it is.

My question is, what's holding up the deal? LA definitely isn't in the Sundin sweepstakes and I seriously doubt Burke is worried about LA next year and next year is all that matters considering the length of Schneider's contract.

I dont think so, Luc has mentioned Schneider specifically by name as one of their targets. I think it's the asking price.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
The Stars took advantage of tha line being way less than 100% and the Ducks inability to kill penalties. How many of the points those two ********** scored were at even strength against Pahlsson's line as well?

I really hope the Ducks see Dallas in the playoffs this year because I think it will look a lot more like 2007 than last year did.
Whether or not they scored is almost isn't really what I'm talking about. I'm saying they were able to be extremely dangerous - to create chances almost at will - against that line because that line wasn't going to go down to the other end and score on a regular basis.

The more chances they created, the more likely it was that the Ducks took penalties (either from desperation or frustration), and then the Stars PP got to go to work. It also wears out the defense and goalie, more the defense, and the sucktitude displayed by Pronger in that series could be somewhat attributed to that.

I'll agree that the Ducks third line was less than 100 percent, but so was Dallas' defense (no Zubov, Boucher gone after Game 3). And the fact remains, even at 100 percent, they're not a real scoring threat.

I always look forward to the games with the Ducks. They're usually barn burners. But, considering the Ducks didn't play Dallas in 2007 (and Dallas had a pretty good regular season record against them that year), I might be wishing for 2003 instead if I was a Ducks fan.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Whether or not they scored is almost isn't really what I'm talking about. I'm saying they were able to be extremely dangerous - to create chances almost at will - against that line because that line wasn't going to go down to the other end and score on a regular basis.

The more chances they created, the more likely it was that the Ducks took penalties (either from desperation or frustration), and then the Stars PP got to go to work. It also wears out the defense and goalie, more the defense, and the sucktitude displayed by Pronger in that series could be somewhat attributed to that.

I'll agree that the Ducks third line was less than 100 percent, but so was Dallas' defense (no Zubov, Boucher gone after Game 3). And the fact remains, even at 100 percent, they're not a real scoring threat.

I always look forward to the games with the Ducks. They're usually barn burners. But, considering the Ducks didn't play Dallas in 2007 (and Dallas had a pretty good regular season record against them that year), I might be wishing for 2003 instead if I was a Ducks fan.
Actually in the playoffs that line is a scoring threat due to the way they play. Other teams can go with scoring 3rd lines, i'm content with a formula which helped produce a cup, in which that shutdown line had a major part in.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Not really, I think most people in hockey circles knew he was coming back, my guess is a trade is close and if not he can be a "training camp invite" until someone is moved.

Just seems like alot of wishful thinking in this thread, i've known Selanne was coming back for two months, if I know NHL GM's know.
I think most people knew, or at least had a pretty good idea. This just makes it official.

I just think the Ducks had more bargaining power when it was still "unofficial," because they could say "Hey, we're just trying to get breathing room in case Selanne wants to come back. We don't really need the space right this minute, so we don't have to make this deal right now if the offer isn't good enough." Now, they can't do that. My guess is they haven't made moves already because they feel like they're getting lowball offers, and Selanne's statement is just going to make that worse.

Still, he's a great weapon (he scared the pants off of me in the playoffs), so there's a huge upside to this. But I'd guess Burke would have preferred he'd kept quiet about his intentions until the Ducks had finished clearing cap room.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Actually in the playoffs that line is a scoring threat due to the way they play. Other teams can go with scoring 3rd lines, i'm content with a formula which helped produce a cup, in which that shutdown line had a major part in.
They're really not a scoring threat at all, even in the playoffs. If you give them breakaways, sure, but they're not going to capitalize off of neutral and deep in their own zone turnovers.

I'm not saying teams are going with all scoring third lines - I'm saying teams are going with hybrids that are good checkers that can score (I'll use Dallas' Ott-Modano-Barnes line from that series as an example, and Detroit went that way as well). The guys who can only grind and check are starting to be relegated to the fourth line. Anaheim's current third line is very much a grind-only line.

Old
KeanuReeves

Schneider will not go cheap, as there is quite a bit of demand for someone like him with veteran experience, offensive PP qbing abilities, and just a one-year contract, even if it is expensive.... he is basically the perfect stopgap for a team with cap space that needs to inject some offense from their defense....

Montreal, Vancouver, LA, etc... there are a bunch of teams that could use a guy like him

therefore the hold up is probably because Burke is trying to get the best deal possible for him, with a bunch of teams reluctant to bid too much but all the while still going after him

KeanuReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wyrm

Quote:
I think most people knew, or at least had a pretty good idea. This just makes it official.

I just think the Ducks had more bargaining power when it was still "unofficial," because they could say "Hey, we're just trying to get breathing room in case Selanne wants to come back. We don't really need the space right this minute, so we don't have to make this deal right now if the offer isn't good enough." Now, they can't do that. My guess is they haven't made moves already because they feel like they're getting lowball offers, and Selanne's statement is just going to make that worse.

Still, he's a great weapon (he scared the pants off of me in the playoffs), so there's a huge upside to this. But I'd guess Burke would have preferred he'd kept quiet about his intentions until the Ducks had finished clearing cap room.
Maybe he is speaking up now because there is a deal that's coming and everything is already set.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:31 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

burke will end up getting a 1st rounder and a prospect of some sort.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
They're really not a scoring threat at all, even in the playoffs. If you give them breakaways, sure, but they're not going to capitalize off of neutral and deep in their own zone turnovers.

I'm not saying teams are going with all scoring third lines - I'm saying teams are going with hybrids that are good checkers that can score (I'll use Dallas' Ott-Modano-Barnes line from that series as an example, and Detroit went that way as well). The guys who can only grind and check are starting to be relegated to the fourth line. Anaheim's current third line is very much a grind-only line.
2007 playoffs
Pahlsson 3 goals 12 points
Moen 7 goals 12 points
Niedermayer 5 goals 10 points

Not bad for a group that is always out vs the opposing teams best offensive players.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
burke will end up getting a 1st rounder and a prospect of some sort.
For Schneider? No way.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:

The more chances they created, the more likely it was that the Ducks took pe
nalties (either from desperation or frustration), and then the Stars PP got to go to work. It also wears out the defense and goalie, more the defense, and the sucktitude displayed by Pronger in that series could be somewhat attributed to that.

I don't think morrow and rebeiro outplayed the god line at all during ES

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote