HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Meszaros signs six year deal with TBL.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:11 PM
ds246pit

vCash: 500
Its a high risk/high reward trade for both teams.

Mesz has alot of time to improve so he could end up being the replacement for Boyle in 3 or 4 years. On the other hand i think it was safe to I always felt pretty sure the Penguins would run over Mesz anytime they were in the defensive zone in this years playoffs. In the long run it may help Tampa but they are going to have to live with the fact that he can't handle playing successfully against big time offensive threats at this stage in his career. If they can develop that part of his game then Tampa probably wins this deal in the future.

As for Ottawa they get a veteran replacement who is solid but not spectacular in Kuba. Picard may actually be the steal out of this because he was the one guy that stood out towards the end of the season when i caught a few Tampa games. A first this year is going to net a strong prospect with the depth of this draft even though it is a likely low first.

Right now i don't think Ottawa lost anything on their blueline for the upcoming season but they may have lost the deal looking back 5 years from now. It all depends on what team develops their young players better (Mesz or Picard and SJ's 1st)

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:17 PM
HankTheTank

I'm shocked Ottawa didn't acquiesce and just give Mezzy his 4 mill.

what is the probability that the 1st rounder they get becomes a top 4 D-man? What is the probability that Picard becomes a top 4 d-man?

And if they do pan out - you'll be paying them 4 mill+ anyway.

If you draft a kid in the 1st round and he plays ~ 250 games for you by the age of 22 as a D-man, including a lot of playoff experience ...... you have to pay him.

It's not like they have a couple of other D-men who have expiring rookie contracts who are going to get inflated, so I don't understand.

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoradamwest View Post
maybe we've been watching him pretty closely?

Mez hasn't really gotten the chance to take on top forwards over most of his career and has been prone to some pretty brutal mental lapses. There were also whispers about Mez' not having the ideal attitude for what Murray is trying to do with the Sens this year.

the thing that scares most Sens fans is that he has regressed greatly since his first year in the NHL. How much of that was having to play with Redden? Not sure, though it was always an adventure with those two together. His good season was with Chara as his partner and there is definitely nobody on TBL who can compare to him. Who's going to cover up for his mental collapses or when he refuses to take a hit/go into the corners? He can hit and block shots, he can also score. Unfortunately, he's had a hell of a time putting it all together. Is he going to be worth the money? Probably, but not yet. this contract long term for the Sens would have meant they would have had to lose somebody else.
I think its a decent deal for Ottawa so don't get me wrong -- but its pretty funny to hear Ottawa fans complain about the downfall of their D's.

Every successful team in this league managed to have success by not playing defense. They dominated the teams they beat and hid their D's, because in the NHL today there basically isn't any D who can play rock solid defense. You can't make up for a misstake like prior to the lockout, and if you play defense misstakes are done sooner or later.

Ottawa exchanged changes with every team they played against last season. They took the puck to the net ASAP, they skated in straight lanes, they dumped and chased. That means that you are gooing to get allot of counter attacks against you. That in its turns means that no matter who you got on the blueline will be exposed.

Its very interesting that fans and media in a hockeycrazy city like Ottawa can't figure that out. It took a while for most teams to start to trap after NJ had their success, its the same story now. Its gonna take a while. But take my word for it, no D in Ottawa will look good as soon as they face as many transition plays as they did last season. No D.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Every successful team in this league managed to have success by not playing defense. They dominated the teams they beat and hid their D's, because in the NHL today there basically isn't any D who can play rock solid defense. You can't make up for a misstake like prior to the lockout, and if you play defense misstakes are done sooner or later.
Detroit and Anaheim weren't build around having a strong defense? They've won the last two cups.

It takes a team to play defense.

Of course the blueline will be exposed, but you shouldn't be giving away the puck in your own zone like Redden and Meszaros were doing frequently the past 2 years.

Meszaros is great at pinching, he was really bad in his own zone. He can improve and he probably will.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 06:17 PM
ktulu98

he is happy, more than that. he knows what money he will get..
slovak TV showed him today and he was smiling like he was on marihuana

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Is the $4 million over six years official yet or what?

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
I think its a decent deal for Ottawa so don't get me wrong -- but its pretty funny to hear Ottawa fans complain about the downfall of their D's.

Ottawa exchanged changes with every team they played against last season. They took the puck to the net ASAP, they skated in straight lanes, they dumped and chased. That means that you are gooing to get allot of counter attacks against you. That in its turns means that no matter who you got on the blueline will be exposed.

Its very interesting that fans and media in a hockeycrazy city like Ottawa can't figure that out. It took a while for most teams to start to trap after NJ had their success, its the same story now. Its gonna take a while. But take my word for it, no D in Ottawa will look good as soon as they face as many transition plays as they did last season. No D.
New coach, new system. The straight line dump and chase was demonstrated to be ineffective in Ottawa as they didn't have the players to get it back to the scorers. I might be reading you incorrectly, but it seems like you're suggesting that defensive hockey is a thing of the past which I really disagree with. The Sens looked terrible as they could never gain the offensive zone which led to the counterattacks you're referring to. The problems got worse when our D wouldn't take a hit when the other team dumped it in so we really couldn't get the puck under control in either end of the ice.

If you play defense mistakes happen sooner? I agree that if you play afraid to make mistakes, you'll make mistakes but are you going to really make fewer mistakes because you're playing offense? There are also many solid defensive d-men in the NHL; Volchenkov/Phillips on the Sens alone, Komisarek in Montreal comes to mind, there are many out there.

The bold parts, I'm not entirely sure why you did that or why you quoted my post at all really.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
6 years is the only thing showing up on their NHL site.

Old
08-30-2008, 07:03 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
The Lightning never announce money but Damien Cristodero is very reliable, since he has the breakdown of the contract I would say it's legit.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 07:05 PM
ARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
4M cap hit is decent for a guy like him. Sens fans saying he's not worth half of that are delusional.

Pitkanen 4M! Liles 4.2! Wideman got 3.875! Commodore got 3.75! Cory Sarich 3.6!
Maybe the oens who are saying he's worth less than half that are delusional, but he's not worth much more than $2 mil. Sens fans are the only ones who watched Meszaros the majority of the season last year and he was one of the worst defenceman on this team, worse than Redden and Commodore (and that's saying something because both of them weren't that great last year).

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilma View Post
QThey're going to have a harder time than Philly did (Tampa's prospect cupboard was completely empty and they didn't land any huge names like Briere, Biron, or Timmonen
We already had big names, getting more of them really wasn't what was needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rangers Skate View Post
Ah, Laus, I knew you'd show up for some good ol' lightning bashing.
To be fair, he's probably the most decent (maybe the only one!) Florida poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsens08 View Post
The Sens are better today then they were with Meszaros. Alexandre Picard is a more complete defenseman than Meszaros will ever be. And Kuba will replace Meszaros and do a better job. So I'm very happy with the trade. Way to go Murray!!!! GO SENS GO
Please tell us exactly what Kuba will do a better job at. This should be good... I love these sour grape posts!

Kuba's a mediocre (in terms of the League) offensive d-man who got bashed way too much by some Tampa fans, but that's about it. He'll save you $1 mil though, woohooooo.

08-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Deals like this is what make GMs lose their jobs.

Bryan Murray will regret this when he's collecting unemployment.
LOL

- He comes in and takes a team that was in the SCF and has them come a couple points away from missing the playoffs.

- Has half the team infighting with each other to the point that the starting goalie and number 3 defensman of the Eastern conference champions are deemed as "cancers and worthless"

- Now can't sign a young defensman to a very reasonable long term contract at a time that they have ZERO puck moving or offensive d-men

How does this clown seriously still have a job? I guess we have to wait for the Senators to finish in 11th place this season maybe to see this moron get the boot

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
We already had big names, getting more of them really wasn't what was needed.

To be fair, he's probably the most decent (maybe the only one!) Florida poster.

Please tell us exactly what Kuba will do a better job at. This should be good... I love these sour grape posts!

Kuba's a mediocre (in terms of the League) offensive d-man who got bashed way too much by some Tampa fans, but that's about it. He'll save you $1 mil though, woohooooo.
Watching the Sens fans turn on Emery, Redden and Meszaros is just gold.

I'm not a big fan of Meszaros honestly but he will get something he never got in Ottawa and that's leadership. Hopefully he turns the corner in Tampa and brings you guys back to the finals

Old
08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSens View Post
Maybe the oens who are saying he's worth less than half that are delusional, but he's not worth much more than $2 mil. Sens fans are the only ones who watched Meszaros the majority of the season last year and he was one of the worst defenceman on this team, worse than Redden and Commodore (and that's saying something because both of them weren't that great last year).
You (and apparently Murray) might not believe that Mesz is worth more than two but the only thing that matters is what the market thinks Meszaros is worth. And the general consensus (apart from Sens fans) seems to be that 24/6 is a pretty damn good deal. The dude is 22 for crying out loud.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Considering your love for Meszaros, I'm not surprised you think this is a bad deal.

Strange that he's making 2.5 the first year, when Ottawa offered that on a short term deal.

6 years is a long time to commit to a guy who hasn't improved in two years. It'll be interesting seeing him play against the Ovechkin's and Staal's every night.

I'd like a link to the bold please. And a Garrioch article is not going to cut it this time as he might as well be on the Sens payroll

Old
08-30-2008, 08:11 PM
IranCondraAffair

As a Sens fan, I personally would have been alright with that deal. Not at first mind you, but I understand that sometimes you're pretty much forced to overpay, and his closest comparables have all inked some pretty massive deals themselves

Yes, it's a lot of money for a guy who's played so poorly, but a lot of posters, myself included, seem to agree that part of his difficulties had to do with Redden struggling, playing on his offside, and just some good old fashioned sophomore slumping.

No sour grapes and although I'm not happy he's gone, I still wish him the best and I do hope he does well for Tampa. He just wasn't going to get that kind of scratch from Ottawa the way he's been playing and considering the Ottawa's defensive salary structure.

Best of luck Mezzy, except against the Sens

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 08:12 PM
ottsens08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post

Kuba did scored 15 goals in a season something Meszaros will never do. And you do realize your team finished dead last in the league last season. And get ready to bash Meszaros because he is soft as butter.

Last edited by ottsens08: 08-30-2008 at 08:20 PM.
ottsens08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 08:19 PM
ottsens08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Watching the Sens fans turn on Emery, Redden and Meszaros is just gold.

I'm not a big fan of Meszaros honestly but he will get something he never got in Ottawa and that's leadership. Hopefully he turns the corner in Tampa and brings you guys back to the finals
Wow for a team that has so much leadership why then did they finish last in the league???

ottsens08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 08:23 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsens08 View Post
Wow for a team that has so much leadership why then did they finish last in the league???
Because the Lightning are exactly the same team as last year.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 08:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
... what? Every Stanley Cup team for the better part of the last decade had solid defense and outstanding goaltending. Even Gretzky's Oilers had guys that could play in both ends of the ice. You flat-out cannot win the Stanley Cup without elite defense and even better goaltending.

I honestly didn't think Tampa's defense could be bad enough to actually give Niskala and Hutchinson regular ice time...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Kamina
Amok

Well, ****. I expect some boos from Ottawa fans when he comes to SBP for the first time. Murray offered him a long-term contract in the many he had offered (5 years) and he refused, IIRC. Have fun with Smith and Kolzig and taking on Ovechkin and Kovalchuk 8 times a year, Mesz. Both of them killed us last year.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Well, ****. I expect some boos from Ottawa fans when he comes to SBP for the first time. Murray offered him a long-term contract in the many he had offered (5 years) and he refused, IIRC. Have fun with Smith and Kolzig and taking on Ovechkin and Kovalchuk 8 times a year.
Not at 4 Million. I doubt Murray commits to 5 years at 3.5 Million either.

Old
08-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Well, ****. I expect some boos from Ottawa fans when he comes to SBP for the first time. Murray offered him a long-term contract in the many he had offered (5 years) and he refused, IIRC. Have fun with Smith and Kolzig and taking on Ovechkin and Kovalchuk 8 times a year, Mesz. Both of them killed us last year.
We've got a lot to boo. Redden and Mez.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
Not at 4 Million. I doubt Murray commits to 5 years at 3.5 Million either.
Regardless.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Because the Lightning are exactly the same team as last year.
Who are the leaders? Meszaros? Carle? Malone? Vrbata? Stamkos? I don't think so. Oh wait, I know, it's those two old 40-somethings playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line, Recchi and Roberts, THEY'RE gonna be the team leaders!

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote