HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would You?

Old
09-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Is that what we call Jaro these days? Jan?

Honestly:
1- Anything involving Dandy GTFOing is a YES
2- Dono don't care get rid of Dandy

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Chet-Nick

Neither of your proposals interest me.

While Dandenault's days in Montreal are numbered. Schneider is on his last legs. D'Agostini is a decent prospect. Nothing special. However, he does provide a young Bulldogs squad with some leadership and skill. Plus, Matt would likely be the first played called up from Hamilton if there was an injury, etc.

Unless it's a player in his prime, which Handzus isn't, you don't trade Halak.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 11:36 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 Habs View Post
Then LA if they are willing agrees to trade their #1 centre Handzus (Cap hit of $4M)
#1 center? did i miss something... the guy had 21 pts while being -21 in 82 games.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 Habs View Post
So let me get this straight:

Montreal trades Dandenault who most think has outlived his usefulness and is on the decline (shaving $1.725 M in salary cap) and a prospect who most likely at best is an AHLer for a 38 year old defencemen (gaining $5.625M in salary) past the best years of his playing days (he is not going to make the difference in winning a Cup -sorry). Anaheim might buy into it as it gains $3.4M in their salary Cap to sign Selanne while Montreal's Salary Cap rises by $3.9M to $54M.

Then LA if they are willing agrees to trade their #1 centre Handzus (Cap hit of $4M) for Halak, an inexperienced goalie, to go with Bernier and Labarbera. That leaves Denis (who needs to work on his game big time) as the back up to Price, at a salary equal if not more than Halak's, and an ECHL minor league goalie as the back up in case of injury.

After both trades Montreal's salary Cap would then be over $58M requiring Mr.Gainey to shed some salary before the season starts. Sorry, for me it is a resounding "no" on both counts.
Handzus is nowhere near LA's number 1 centre. Ansi Kopitar says hi. He's a true stud #1 centre. Handzus is like their 3rd line centre.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:37 AM
mcphee

I've always liked Handzus, but his decline in numbers is Bonk like. Nothing wrong with either player but you're getting an immobile positional player who seems content to play a reduced level. The length of the contract convinces me to decline. Schneider, sure why not, load up on pp weapons.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

1. Definitely a yes
2. Definitely a no

For those that think giving up D'Agostini is too much. I guess you'll be watching Schneider play for another team this year. Even though Burke might be up against it to clear salary cap space. There will be a few teams interested in Schneider. If Gainey isn't willing to atleast give up a prospect like D'ago, someone else will.

09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
1. Definitely a yes
2. Definitely a no

For those that think giving up D'Agostini is too much. I guess you'll be watching Schneider play for another team this year. Even though Burke might be up against it to clear salary cap space. There will be a few teams interested in Schneider. If Gainey isn't willing to atleast give up a prospect like D'ago, someone else will.
I don't know how Gainey perceives things as far as 'need' goes, but I have the feeling that while some might 'like' to have him, someone else 'needs' to have him, Schneider that is.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't know how Gainey perceives things as far as 'need' goes, but I have the feeling that while some might 'like' to have him, someone else 'needs' to have him, Schneider that is.
That's actually my thinking mcphee. I have no idea how high up Schneider is on Gainey's "Must obtain" list. But like you said, I'm sure he's pretty high up on another GM's list.

So the cost for obtaining him won't be as low as some are thinking. Even though Burke seems right now to be bend over a barrel.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Would you...

Trade Mathieu Dandenault and Matt D'Agostini to Anaheim for Mathieu Schneider?

Would you...

Trade Jan Halak to Los Angeles (if they pick up some salary to get past the cap floor) for Michal Handzus?
1 - no. Anaheim cant even take back Dandenault anyway by all accounts. I'd rather deal a pick than D'Ago, our only offensive minded right shot signed. Burkie is the one who is desperate here, not us.

2 - hell no. And your trade doesn't even work, LA can't 'pick up' salary. It's against the CBA. I can't believe you didn't even know that.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Would you...

Would you...

Trade Jan Halak to Los Angeles (if they pick up some salary to get past the cap floor) for Michal Handzus?

I wouldn't do either of those deals.

For one, We don't need Schneider. Our defence is good enough, we need some help up front more than we need another defencemen and two, we have no reason to trade Jan Halak away! We need to keep him around in case Price doesn't turn out to be as good as everybody thinks. Price could turn out to be a flop and Halak may be the better goalie afterall, so we need to keep him until we find out how things are going to go.

I would LOVE to get rid of Dandenault, but Halak and D'Agostini are too good to just throw away.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:00 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
1 - Yes
2 - No

If we pick up Schneider, we wouldn't keep Brisebois around. Seems like a good reason to me. It'd be gold to see Roy has his number retired with Schneider standing on the blue line. Can you spell drama?

But we keep Halak. A guy costing 4 mil for 3 years is definately not worth it, unless he's a first line type player.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
1970 Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
#1 center? did i miss something... the guy had 21 pts while being -21 in 82 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Handzus is nowhere near LA's number 1 centre. Ansi Kopitar says hi. He's a true stud #1 centre. Handzus is like their 3rd line centre.
Sorry, I forgot the smiley.

A $4M Cap hit for a 3rd line centre whose faceoff percentage was 45.6% last year is not going to help Montreal down the middle. Might as well stick with the young prospects Chipchura and Lapierre.

1970 Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:19 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Would you...

Would you...

right now, Id rather give icetime to gorges and obyrne. The schneider trade is tempting, but I'd like to keep the cap space we have to be ready to sign or trade for another big name. I also doubt dandy figures in burkes plans, regardless of his need to trade schneider. I think he would just prefer dagostini and a 2nd, or 3rd round pick.

If we trade quality youth, I want to make sure we put together a nice package + a roster player like higgins in order to get a proven goalscorer or a first line center. In both cases, first line material.

the halak trade, I wouldn't do for sure. I don't think halak's trade value represents his true potential...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
YES
and
NO

Schneider could be a very nice addition. Handzus will be injured sometime in the first few weeks, let alone make it through the playoffs...(if we make it )

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

2 - hell no. And your trade doesn't even work, LA can't 'pick up' salary. It's against the CBA. I can't believe you didn't even know that.
I wasn't suggesting the "pick up salary" by acquiring "money" (obviously) I meant if they made a trade - like say, picking up Khabibulin, simply as an example - that increased their payroll so they were far enough above the cap floor that they could trade Handzus (and his $4) million for Halak's significantly smaller salary.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Neither one really appeals to me.

I'd consider the first one into the season, if it looked like defence and the PP needed help. But I don't think Burke can wait that long. In the meantime, I'd rather wait for Sundin or a better trade opportunity.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 06:36 PM
RushDP

Why would the majority of posters get rid of a prospect with value to make Burke's life easy? He NEEDS to move Schneider. We could simply tell Burke "we'll take the guy" and he'd be in. If we ditch Dandy in the trade it will give us a cap hit of $4M net without losing D'ago. This of course puts an end to Sundin but he sounds like he's retiring anyway. I'd do a straight up Dandy for Schneider that helps out both teams.

I wouldn't move Halak for anybody right now.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting the "pick up salary" by acquiring "money" (obviously) I meant if they made a trade - like say, picking up Khabibulin, simply as an example - that increased their payroll so they were far enough above the cap floor that they could trade Handzus (and his $4) million for Halak's significantly smaller salary.
Yeah, reading it again I can now see what you meant. My mistake

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Why would the majority of posters get rid of a prospect with value to make Burke's life easy? He NEEDS to move Schneider. We could simply tell Burke "we'll take the guy" and he'd be in. If we ditch Dandy in the trade it will give us a cap hit of $4M net without losing D'ago. This of course puts an end to Sundin but he sounds like he's retiring anyway. I'd do a straight up Dandy for Schneider that helps out both teams.

I wouldn't move Halak for anybody right now.
The first part makes sense.

But I would trade Halak under lots of different scenarios. The one that tends to come up a fair bit is to trade him for another prospect, but at a different position -- like center. Like, with Edmonton for Nash, or LA for Boyle, or maybe Chicago for Bolland.

Those are longshots, and it's likely that fans of those respective teams would say, "Haha, no." Maybe even their GMs would. But that, to me, is the ideal way to move Halak, and if I were Gainey, I'd be sniffing around for that kind of deal.

Of course I would also consider moving him for a veteran who could improve the team. Maybe even a rental under the right circumstances. But only for an impact veteran, one who either could be re-signed, or isn't saddled with a horrible contract. In any event, Handzus is not my idea of a veteran impact player.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:54 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
The first part makes sense.

But I would trade Halak under lots of different scenarios. The one that tends to come up a fair bit is to trade him for another prospect, but at a different position -- like center. Like, with Edmonton for Nash, or LA for Boyle, or maybe Chicago for Bolland.

Those are longshots, and it's likely that fans of those respective teams would say, "Haha, no." Maybe even their GMs would. But that, to me, is the ideal way to move Halak, and if I were Gainey, I'd be sniffing around for that kind of deal.

Of course I would also consider moving him for a veteran who could improve the team. Maybe even a rental under the right circumstances. But only for an impact veteran, one who either could be re-signed, or isn't saddled with a horrible contract. In any event, Handzus is not my idea of a veteran impact player.
Maybe I should have wrote "for the time being" in not moving Halak.

I agree with you that he is perfect trade bait but you never know what may happen during a season and we may need somebody in the event Price gets hurt. If Denis pans out then I agree with you 100% since I believe Halak should be a #1 somewhere anyway.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 08:44 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Ansi is Anze Kopitar's evil twin who plays in the KHL .

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Domenic

From the title I thought this was gonna be a thread about Sarah Palin.

Yes, I would.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
From the title I thought this was gonna be a thread about Sarah Palin.

Yes, I would.

that chick?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

that chick?
That chick.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote