HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

McCabe Trade to Florida To be Official Tomorrow, 11AM

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
chef223

vCash: 500
Fletcher has traded a two seconds, two thirds, a fifth round pick and it looks like another mid round pick since he has become GM. How can we re-build without picks, STOP TRADING AWAY THE FUTURE. Someone please relief Flecther of his duties, he's horrible.

Old
09-01-2008, 07:50 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Tampa Bay Lightning traded Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich to the San Jose Sharks for Matt Carle, Ty Wishart, a 1st round selection in 2009 and a 4th round selection in 2010.

That's the type of return McCabe should have got for the Leafs.
Good comparison.

Both defensively irresponsible D-men of similar age who put up about 50 points a year.

I think the fact that T-bay had the ability to threaten Boyle with waiving him to Atlanta whereas Toronto could not due to the full NMC made a difference.

Last edited by timw33: 09-01-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old
09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Good comparison.

Both defensively irresponsible D-men of similar age who put up about 50 points a year.

I think the fact that T-bay had the ability to threaten Boyle with waiving him to Atlanta whereas Toronto could not due to the full NMV may have made a difference.
may have? it most certainly did as it changes the team from having leverage to having no leverage..

Old
09-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Murray for a 22 year old defenseman who has not progressed at all since his rookie season got

Kuba, Picard and a 1st

Fletcher for a 33 year old savvy vet who had two 15+ goal 50+ point seasons prior to an injury last season got

VanRyn an injury plagued defenseman, but had to also give a pick for him.

Seriously?
One has potential and is still pretty good, and the other is over the hill and has a terrible contract.

Yes, seriously. And I couldn't give a **** about either team.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:06 PM
DougGilmour93

Even tho alot of fans aren't happy with the assumed deal, why are we getting so upset. The only other type of player we would have gotten back is a Zednik, Dvorak or a Stewart. None of them are going to turn Toronto's fortunes around.

Ya it sucks it Toronto has to throw in a pick, but guys...we get to rid ourselves of McCabe, Bryan freaking McCabe! Having him off our roster is a plus. Not to mention it gives a better chance to a player like Stralman or Frogren. Sure, Van Ryn will take that spot for awhile, but he may get injured yet again or he could be flipped for somethng at the deadline and we'll be laughing. OR, maybe, just maybe Van Ryn turns into the defensemen he was always supposed to be. He was on his way until his wrists became an issue.

Van Ryn could be exactly what this team needs. A stable defensemen. Not to mention we have Finger who is supposed to be a rock as well. Add in Schenn (our future franchise dman), and 3 offensive minded dmen in Kaberle, Stralman and Cola. I think we are in a good position.

Let's all get over the trade, let's move on. We've all known it's been coming.

Hey, let's not forget for all those McCabe supporters out there, if he really did help us out, than losing him will definetely help as it will help cement our position at the bottom of the standings...HELLO TAVARES!

Old
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Now that's how you ****in' tank.

Leafs fans should be happy that Fletcher's finally trying to put the team in the crapper rather than squeak into the playoffs to get trounced.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
Florida
Washington
Tampa
Carolina
Atlanta

Best defense in SE Division(in order)
Carolina's d > Tampa's.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Tortue

How good is Van Ryn cause I would give O'Byrne and a 2nd rounder for McCabe.. we're talking about a guy who would put up 60+ points on the PP. Van Ryn? What a wonderful pairing he will do with the other random overvalued player by Fletcher in Jeff Doigt

Old
09-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Even tho alot of fans aren't happy with the assumed deal, why are we getting so upset. The only other type of player we would have gotten back is a Zednik, Dvorak or a Stewart. None of them are going to turn Toronto's fortunes around.

Ya it sucks it Toronto has to throw in a pick, but guys...we get to rid ourselves of McCabe, Bryan freaking McCabe! Having him off our roster is a plus. Not to mention it gives a better chance to a player like Stralman or Frogren. Sure, Van Ryn will take that spot for awhile, but he may get injured yet again or he could be flipped for somethng at the deadline and we'll be laughing. OR, maybe, just maybe Van Ryn turns into the defensemen he was always supposed to be. He was on his way until his wrists became an issue.

Van Ryn could be exactly what this team needs. A stable defensemen. Not to mention we have Finger who is supposed to be a rock as well. Add in Schenn (our future franchise dman), and 3 offensive minded dmen in Kaberle, Stralman and Cola. I think we are in a good position.

!
You have a lot of chutzpa posting this after all your posts telling us that McCabe is an elite dman who will return first rounders, top young players, etc.

Just an example of one of your past posts (and this is without looking hard):

To NYI: Stajan, McCabe, 7th overall

To Tor: 5th overall, 36th overall, 3rd round pick, Witt

So, this player who you are so glad to be rid of was worth Witt, a move up in the first round, a 2nd rounder, and a third rounder just a few weeks ago. And, from what I can recall, this post was actually less ambitious than your earlier posts which had first rounder outright, Comeau, Witt, and others in various packages.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 09-01-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old
09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
The funny thing is a lot of people talk about how ridiculous McCabe's contract is but if he was a UFA he'd probably be able to get around $5.75 million per year on the open market. I'm not a McCabe or Leaf fan but he wasn't as bad as many people around here make him sound, Fletcher really got ****ed if he had to throw in a pick here too.
You know what sucks as a Leaf fan? Hearing this from opposing teams' fans AFTER we get rid of Bryan McCabe. Where was this "well, it wasn't so ridiculous - he could've gotten 5.75 on the open market" business when he was still a Leaf??

We listen for the last two years to how terrible Bryan McCabe is and how he has negative trade value, and then he actually gets traded and people say we got screwed. Not that I disagree with any of it. I'm not very happy with the deal. But still... quite the drastic flip flop.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
You have a lot of chutzpa posting this after all your posts telling us that McCabe is an elite dman who will return first rounders, top young players, etc.
Man. Are you ever confused.

I never said he'd return top prospects, unless of course you think Blake Comeau is one (of course he isn't). My proposals, which were mostly made at the deadline (when most players value is inflated) revolved around B level prospects and players such as Witt and Sutton.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

The Leafs aren't getting back a bad defenseman in Ryno at all. He's 100% finally after having wrist surgery and has been ripping pucks past Luongo and Vokoun at Incredible Ice in Coral Springs. He played on the top pairing with Pronger in St Louis and was solid here before the injury a couple years ago.

The pick? For all we know it's a return for the Kilger fiasco. He obviously doesn't have to and I'd be shocked if that were the case, but it's possible. Surprising that a "rebuilding" team is giving away picks like this.

Those who are so upset at the return, I've learned my lesson after the Olli trade. Though, I'll probably be irked when/if Bouw is moved.

09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:

Just an example of one of your past posts (and this is without looking hard):

To NYI: Stajan, McCabe, 7th overall

To Tor: 5th overall, 36th overall, 3rd round pick, Witt

So, this player who you are so glad to be rid of was worth Witt, a move up in the first round, a 2nd rounder, and a third rounder just a few weeks ago.

That's not helping your cause...lol

Stajan is a solid player, easily worth the 2nd pick in alot of peoples eyes.

McCabe and the 7th for the 5th, Witt and a 3rd isn't that all that bad...lol. I'll admit at this point after all the media scrutiny the 3rd should be taken out. At the deadline if McCabe would have waived his no trade clause than he could have brought on a much better return than now for a joke.

Give it up my friend.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Man. Are you ever confused.

I never said he'd return top prospects, unless of course you think Blake Comeau is one (of course he isn't). My proposals, which were mostly made at the deadline (when most players value is inflated) revolved around B level prospects and players such as Witt and Sutton.

Take a look at the above post, cliped directly from you AFTER the deadline.

Is a package including the 5th overall, a 2nd rounder, and a third rounder equivalent to a "b level prospect."

Would you like me to search for some more of your past trade suggestions?

Heck, just a day or two ago you were arguing that Vermette straight up was doable.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Now let's watch as Sundin signs with the Leafs, doesn't get us into the playoffs, and we lose out on the top tier talent in the draft. Let's also watch as Vokoun puts up career numbers, and Florida's dcore wins them the SE.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:29 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
The Leafs aren't getting back a bad defenseman in Ryno at all. He's 100% finally after having wrist surgery and has been ripping pucks past Luongo and Vokoun at Incredible Ice in Coral Springs. He played on the top pairing with Pronger in St Louis and was solid here before the injury a couple years ago.
Thats a good point. Van Ryn use to be a vey good defenceman and he is still young. The reason for his downfall in the last 2 years are injury but if he can get back to 100% and turn the page on his wrist injury, this could turn out to be a good trade for the Leafs.

Old
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
How good is Van Ryn cause I would give O'Byrne and a 2nd rounder for McCabe.. we're talking about a guy who would put up 60+ points on the PP. Van Ryn? What a wonderful pairing he will do with the other random overvalued player by Fletcher in Jeff Doigt
He's a decent #3 d-man/2nd pairing guy and has a nice shot from the point when he's healthy, but he's not physical, he has trouble handling big forwards, not very consistent offensively and he's nothing special defensively either....plus he is coming off two big wrist injuries. Basically, Leafs are ridding themselves of a big contract for anything they can get, because, they have no choice (McCabe's NMC).

Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Bouwmeister-Allen
Ballard-McCabe
Skras-Boynton

That's a nice starting 6

Can't see Bowmeister staying in flordia past this season.
That's the problem.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's not helping your cause...lol

Stajan is a solid player, easily worth the 2nd pick in alot of peoples eyes.

McCabe and the 7th for the 5th, Witt and a 3rd isn't that all that bad...lol. I'll admit at this point after all the media scrutiny the 3rd should be taken out. At the deadline if McCabe would have waived his no trade clause than he could have brought on a much better return than now for a joke.

Give it up my friend.
If you can get an early 2nd rounder in a strong draft for Stajan, go for it.

But, even if I give you that one: the fifth to the 7th got the Isles a 2nd and a third.

So, you were basically expecting a 2nd rounder, 2 third rounders, and Brendan Witt for a player you are now claiming to be glad to be rid of - even though it will basically cost the Leafs to unload him.

I am willing to bet that even you can see the difference between the above package and Van Ryn minus a pick.

Could you be anymore hypocritical?

Old
09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Gutchecktime

The problem is that we've already given up a 2nd and a 4th in this year's draft.

I mean, if this is a 3rd, we'll have no picks from the 2nd to 4th rounds and for a "rebuilding team" that is just unacceptable IMO. And you can give me the whole "We'll recoup them at the deadline" thing, but to me, we should be STOCKPILING picks, not just trying to recoup the ones we've traded.

Old
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Take a look at the above post, cliped directly from you AFTER the deadline.

Is a package including the 5th overall, a 2nd rounder, and a third rounder equivalent to a "b level prospect."

Would you like me to search for some more of your past trade suggestions?

Heck, just a day or two ago you were arguing that Vermette straight up was doable.
Again you are confused...lol

I asked an Ottawa fan what they thought, that's all as it came up in our conversation.

Old
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
That's the problem.
Not really. Ellerby's waiting in the wings, not that he's comparable, but he'll suffice. Depending on how the forwards do, Martin could bring in another solid defender.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:33 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
If you can get an early 2nd rounder in a strong draft for Stajan, go for it.

But, even if I give you that one: the fifth to the 7th got the Isles a 2nd and a third.

So, you were basically expecting a 2nd rounder, 2 third rounders, and Brendan Witt for a player you are now claiming to be glad to be rid of - even though it will basically cost the Leafs to unload him.

I am willing to bet that even you can see the difference between the above package and Van Ryn minus a pick.

Could you be anymore hypocritical?
Players values are considerably worth more at a trade deadline, that's common knowledge. I never posted anything like that recently.

Old
09-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Not really. Ellerby's waiting in the wings, not that he's comparable, but he'll suffice. Depending on how the forwards do, Martin could bring in another solid defender.
Well you know your team more than I do so I'll defer to you.

Still, it ain't going to be easy replacing a 1st pairing defenseman eating up that many minutes a game. Even 2nd pairing guys look like they'll cost a pretty penny next season (based on how much guys got this season).

Old
09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Players values are considerably worth more at a trade deadline, that's common knowledge. I never posted anything like that recently.
Sorry, but the above post was taken from a thread after the end of the season. In fact, you couldn't have know that the Isles would have the fifth overall and the Leafs would have the seventh overall until that point so what you are saying now is just plain impossible.

I'm not trying to taunt you for past overestimates of McCabe's market value. We all overestimate how much our players are worth and, let's face it, the trade market is crazy because of all the contract issues that are involved. But, be a man, fess up, and don't act like this is the outcome you wanted or predicted all along.

Closed Thread