HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL <==> NHL affiliations

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2003, 01:21 PM
HockeyGoddess

vCash: 500
AHL <==> NHL affiliations

For those interested in knowing which AHL teams are affiliated with which NHL teams, I offer the following:

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
Hartford Wolf Pack - (New York Rangers)
Lowell Lock Monsters - (Carolina Hurricanes / Calgary Flames)
Manchester Monarchs - (Los Angeles Kings)
Portland Pirates - (Washington Capitals)
Providence Bruins - (Boston Bruins)
Springfield Falcons - (Phoenix Coyotes)
Worcester IceCats - (St. Louis Blues)

East Division
Albany River Rats - (New Jersey Devils)
Binghamton Senators - (Ottawa Senators)
Bridgeport Sound Tigers - (New York Islanders)
Hershey Bears - (Colorado Avalanche / Tampa Bay Lightning)
Norfolk Admirals - (Chicago Blackhawks)
Philadelphia Phantoms - (Philadelphia Flyers)
Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins - (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Western Conference
North Division
Cleveland Barons - (San Jose Sharks)
Hamilton Bulldogs - (Montreal Canadiens)
Manitoba Moose - (Vancouver Canucks)
Rochester Americans - (Buffalo Sabres)
St. John's Maple Leafs - (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Syracuse Crunch - (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Toronto Roadrunners - (Edmonton Oilers)

West Division
Chicago Wolves - (Atlanta Thrashers)
Cincinnati Mighty Ducks - (Mighty Ducks of Anaheim)
Grand Rapids Griffins - (Detroit Red Wings)
Houston Aeros - (Minnesota Wild)
Milwaukee Admirals - (Nashville Predators)
San Antonio Rampage - (Florida Panthers)
Utah Grizzlies - (Dallas Stars)

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
08-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Mizral

HG,

I believe Tampa Bay is sending 4 or 5 players to the Bulldogs next season.

Also, do you know anything about possibly another (or two?) AHL franchise in the works? I think it'd be great to see 30 AHL teams, and every NHL team having an affiliate.

Old
08-23-2003, 03:34 PM
zecke26

HG, how about making this threas sticky, so it can be used all season long? sometimes i just can't remember some affiliates and it would be nice to look it up here.

Old
08-24-2003, 05:16 PM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
HG,

I believe Tampa Bay is sending 4 or 5 players to the Bulldogs next season.

Also, do you know anything about possibly another (or two?) AHL franchise in the works? I think it'd be great to see 30 AHL teams, and every NHL team having an affiliate.
I believe it's in the works for each NHL team having an AHL affiliate, but I can't remember when that was supposed to occur.... maybe 2005? (for some reason, that year rings a bell with me, but it's probably a faulty memory)

Old
08-24-2003, 05:16 PM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26
HG, how about making this threas sticky, so it can be used all season long? sometimes i just can't remember some affiliates and it would be nice to look it up here.
Done!

Old
09-05-2003, 05:17 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
it all depends on if and when

either Calgary decides what they want to do with their dormant team and what Baldwin does with the old Florida affiliate.

Old
09-05-2003, 06:10 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Des Moines, IA is building a new arena complex and there are at least two groups competing to bring an AHL franchise there. Or something like that... it gets confusing. MSE (the Wild) is making a bid to operate the arena, and has also recently purchased a majority stake in the Aeros, but apparently the two developments are unrelated (as of now). There's another group that (I believe) wants to start a new franchise or bring back a defunct one (Calgary's, I believe is the one I heard mentioned).

Old
09-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Des Moines, IA is building a new arena complex and there are at least two groups competing to bring an AHL franchise there. Or something like that... it gets confusing. MSE (the Wild) is making a bid to operate the arena, and has also recently purchased a majority stake in the Aeros, but apparently the two developments are unrelated (as of now). There's another group that (I believe) wants to start a new franchise or bring back a defunct one (Calgary's, I believe is the one I heard mentioned).

I'd heard that about Des Moines too. What I've also heard is that there was talk (at least a few months ago) about the Norfolk Admirals being a candidate to relocate to Des Moines. Norfolk's affiliation with Chicago expires this year, the play in a quaint arena that I like, but it's very antequainted (and can be a fairly dangerous part of town at night, I've witnessed a couple muggings after games), and the fan base is very below par. That may just be vapor but regardless I would suggest that Norfolk isn't long for the AHL.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:20 AM
hockeyfalls

vCash:
AHL 30 teams is the goal?

Has any one from the AHL or the NHL for that matter addressed the desire to have 1 AHL per each NHL team? seems like it would be best for all.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Why is St. John's in the Western Conference?

Rack up the airline miles and run up costs? Who the hell made that decision?

I think the AHL needs to get farther west. Des Moines is a good spot for an AHL team but has anyone thought about bringing the AHL to somewhere like Portland or Seattle where there is exsiting junior teams? How about Sacramento, maybe Las Vegas and moving their ECHL team out, or a team in North Dakota?

Old
10-18-2003, 09:22 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Tampa Bay has sent 5 guys to the Hamilton Bulldogs, so I guess we can call this an affiliation between the Montreal Canadiens and the Tampa Bay Lightning. The 5 players that have been sent to the Bulldogs are defenseman Andreas Holmqvist, forward Eero Somervuori, forward Alexander Svitov and forward Jimmie Ölvestad. Prospect defenseman Jeremy Van Hoof had also been sent to the Dogs, but because of the depth at defense, the coaching staff in Hamilton decided to send him down to the ECHL about two weeks ago.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They may be their 5 best AHL players for Tampa Bay. Why would they send them all to the same spot?

Old
10-19-2003, 08:09 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
They may be their 5 best AHL players for Tampa Bay. Why would they send them all to the same spot?
True. I remember hearing on radio that Canadiens GM Bob Gainey had been very straight about the players he wanted; he sent Jay Feaster a list of the guys he wanted in Hamilton, and it turned out to be mostly Tampa's best prospects at all positions. I think it's safe to say the Bulldogs received better players than Hershey, which is Tampa's other affiliate for this season. Somervuori is doing fairly well up to now. He's a great prospect with top-end potential.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:21 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Not necessarily. Eric Perrin (C; Hershey) could easily get called up before Svitov; Shane Willis (W; Hershey) would probably get called up before Somervuori; and Girard Dicaire (D; Utah -- don't ask) will definitely get called up before Holmqvist. Pascal Trepanier (D; Hershey) would probably get the call before Holmqvist, too. And Nikita Alexeev (W; Hershey), although he probably doesn't deserve it, would probably be ranked above Somervuori on the depth chart because he's a favorite in the organization.

The unfortunate truth is none of these guys has really stood out from the pack, although Dicaire had a fantastic camp/pre-season and Willis was exceptional in the exhibition games.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Probably the same guy that had Manatoba in the East last season.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:08 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfalls
Has any one from the AHL or the NHL for that matter addressed the desire to have 1 AHL per each NHL team? seems like it would be best for all.
The comments I made about possibly having a 1-to-1 AHL-to-NHL affiliation in 2005 came from something I heard/read that David Andrews, AHL head honcho had said either in a press conference or an interview a year or so ago.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:29 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:

Rack up the airline miles and run up costs? Who the hell made that decision?

I think the AHL needs to get farther west. Des Moines is a good spot for an AHL team but has anyone thought about bringing the AHL to somewhere like Portland or Seattle where there is exsiting junior teams? How about Sacramento, maybe Las Vegas and moving their ECHL team out, or a team in North Dakota?
as far as ND goes, i know biscmarck has a team in the awhl, not sure how the arena is or anything, but w/ an existing arena there it always could be a place for a future ahl team .... i hear from a friend that the bobcats have good attendance and it's a good hockey city up there

Old
05-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Gwyddbwyll

The Springfield <=> Tampa and the Utah <=> Phoenix affiliations are now official.

Old
06-09-2004, 08:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

What are we looking like for next season as far as affiliations? If there is a lockout next season, I will be attending quite a few AHL games.

Isn't Des Moines, Iowa getting a team next year. I think there should be a better effort to have 30 AHL teams, and to try to get out west. I think Sacramento would be a good AHL market, with a world class facility.

Old
07-05-2004, 02:51 PM
dwaynester

Changes for the upcoming season

From what I understand, the Hamilton Bulldogs will be receiving players from someone other than Tampa Bay this season. I seem to recall hearing it on the radio that another team was sending players to Hamilton. For some reason I thought I heard Dallas, but then again, it may be Calgary??? Will try to get additional info about this one for everyone.

In addition, there are changes coming to the Toronto Roadrunners. Seems the team failed to make thier lease payments at the Ricoh at the end of the season, and they have had their lease revoked. I heard Edmonton will step in, and Prez Ernie Koatzie (sp) either did, or will get the boot over this. Rumour had it Edmonton was going to pull out of Toronto, and the Leafs are bringing the Baby Leafs to the Ricoh when the contract in St. Johns runs out.

Old
07-16-2004, 01:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
any Monarchs fans would ever want to meet up at Cahoots before a game count me in.

Old
07-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
any Monarchs fans would ever want to meet up at Cahoots before a game count me in.
Do you, by any chance, post at www.ahlboards.com? There's a ton of us over there.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynester
From what I understand, the Hamilton Bulldogs will be receiving players from someone other than Tampa Bay this season. I seem to recall hearing it on the radio that another team was sending players to Hamilton. For some reason I thought I heard Dallas, but then again, it may be Calgary??? Will try to get additional info about this one for everyone.

In addition, there are changes coming to the Toronto Roadrunners. Seems the team failed to make thier lease payments at the Ricoh at the end of the season, and they have had their lease revoked. I heard Edmonton will step in, and Prez Ernie Koatzie (sp) either did, or will get the boot over this. Rumour had it Edmonton was going to pull out of Toronto, and the Leafs are bringing the Baby Leafs to the Ricoh when the contract in St. Johns runs out.
The Edmonton Oilers moved their AHL affiliate from Toronto to Edmonton. The AHL team will be known as the Edmonton Roadrunners.

08-02-2004, 11:25 PM
HabSim

RE: dwaynester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynester
Tampa Bay affiliation if effectively over. That's why Eero Somervuori and Jimmie Olvestad won't be back.

On June 9, Canadiens and Dallas Stars signed an agreement that will allow Dallas to send up to 6 players to AHL's Hamilton team, including a goalie.

Here's the link from the official Bulldogs' site:
http://www.canoe.ca/Bulldogs/News/20...09/492320.html

Old
08-05-2004, 03:10 AM
Mark O

It is my understanding that Des Moines (the dormant Louisville franchise) will be the AHL affiliate for Dallas. Question: Is Carolina out of Lowell? I thought I heard that is now Calgary's affiliate.

Closed Thread