HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Florida sends Mike Van Ryn to Toronto for Bryan McCabe and a 2010 4th round pick

Old
09-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Belak , McCabe and how about Sundin?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
TOML

So... Does this trade enhance or subtract the likelihood of Sundin re-signing in TO?

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
The untradeable contract has been traded.
Untradeable contract? He's making 5.75 million, is he not? That's a bargain for a real PP QB. A guy that can net 50+ points (or almost 70 2 seasons ago). I'm curious what you think McCabe would've gotten on the open market?

I'm guessing in the 6 million X 6 year range.

And before you laugh, remember, some tool gave Wade Redden 6.5 million a year...for the next 6 years.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Borschevsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Yeah now you can do that with Jeff Finger. Your rebuilding team just got shafted for a draft pick for the second time this summer and your happy about this?
I wouldn't say shafted. The pick Cliff gave up here is one round lower than the 3rd the Leafs received in the Chad Kilger trade, who has yet to even play a game for the Panthers. So it's kind of like they're just evening things out.

Borschevsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Borschevsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
Untradeable contract? He's making 5.75 million, is he not? That's a bargain for a real PP QB. A guy that can net 50+ points (or almost 70 2 seasons ago). I'm curious what you think McCabe would've gotten on the open market?

And before you laugh, remember, some tool gave Wade Redden 6.5 million a year...for the next 6 years.
with a NMC, he was essentially untradeable... at least not for equal value.

Borschevsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
About time.

No more holding my breath whenever McCabe is on the ice. Doesn't matter where he is either. Offensive zone, neutral zone, defensive zone, the guy is a liability everywhere. I can't believe anyone was willing to take him at that cap hit for what he (doesn't) provide.

Good riddance.
Van Ryn is not much more different, but who knows, ex-Panthers have a tendency to do extremely well after being traded (see: Huselius, Hagman, Boyle, ect. the list is pretty big).

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
He still had to agree to go to Florida, though. That's the part that I don't get. You'd think he'd hold out for a better team, or just stay in Toronto.
Personally I'm wondering if the Leafs got such a bad return because McCabe would only agree to go to Florida. We don't know exactly who else was involved but there should've been a few more teams interested that could've upped the asking price, but McCabe said no and shut the door on that. Florida really isn't that bad a team, the forward group is a work in progress but they're very strong on the back end and in net. And maybe McCabe & family wants the warm weather & lack of media attention.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:

That's his cap hit, Leaf fans have mentioned that his actual contract (or what the teams owner has to pay) is something like $4.25M for the remaining 3 years.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Fletcher's genius capspace savings plan:

OUT ------- IN

Tucker ($3.0/3yrs) -------- Hagman ($3.0/4yrs) + Tucker Buyout ($1.0/6yrs)
Kilger ($0.9/1yrs) -------- Mayers ($1.3/1yrs)

McCabe ($5.75/3yrs) ------- Finger ($3.5/4yrs)
Gill ($2.1/1yrs) -------- VanRyn ($2.9/2yrs)
Kronwall ($0.5/1yrs) ------- Frogren ($1.0/2yrs)

Raycroft ($2.0/1yrs) ------- Cujo ($0.7/1yrs) + Raycroft Buyout ($.6/2yrs)

Cap difference:

Year 1: $14.25 --------- $14.00
Year 2: $8.75 --------- $11.9
Year 3: $8.75 --------- $7.5
Year 4: $0.00 --------- $1.0
Year 5: $0.00 --------- $1.0
Year 6: $0.00 --------- $1.0

now that's some impressive running around in circles right there.

If you notice, the team doesn't get any younger in the process, gets significantly less talented, and let's remember that Cliff has managed to give away 7-8 draft picks in the process.

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
About time.

No more holding my breath whenever McCabe is on the ice. Doesn't matter where he is either. Offensive zone, neutral zone, defensive zone, the guy is a liability everywhere. I can't believe anyone was willing to take him at that cap hit for what he (doesn't) provide.

Good riddance.

Yeah, right.

Would you like me to go back and drag out a couple of your posts where you talk about how great McCabe is and how much it would take to get him in a trade? Just a week ago, you had declared that McCabe was worth more in deal than any Islander.

I think all the posters who have been taunting Leaf fans about McCabe are pretty low class, but these revisionists posts are just as bad.

09-02-2008, 05:45 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yeah, right.

Would you like me to go back and drag out a couple of your posts where you talk about how great McCabe is and how much it would take to get him in a trade? Just a week ago, you had declared that McCabe was worth more in deal than any Islander.

I think all the posters who have been taunting Leaf fans about McCabe are pretty low class, but these revisionists posts are just as bad.
Go ahead.

And for the record he IS worth more than everyone on the Islanders minus Dipietro.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
lol if you are trying to compare Finger's and McCabe's defensive play, you probably should stop (or rather don't start) watching hockey.

Secondly, I think you misread fourth as first. Might want to update that prescription.
Your team is rebuilding no? So far this summer they sent the Rangers (thank you) thier 5th for Hollweg who is as pure a 4th liner as they come. Then you give up a 4th to get rid of the better player, salary dump or not. If my team was rebuilding like the Leafs I would want all the picks I could get. This deal did nothing to help the rebuild, if anything it hindered it. Man the Leafs are a mess. Luke Schenn is the prize that came out of everything since last year?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
I wouldn't say shafted. The pick Cliff gave up here is one round lower than the 3rd the Leafs received in the Chad Kilger trade, who has yet to even play a game for the Panthers. So it's kind of like they're just evening things out.
Your team should be stockpiling picks, not sending them out in salary dump trades and deals for 4th line players. Thats just me though.

Old
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Yeah now you can do that with Jeff Finger. Your rebuilding team just got shafted for a draft pick for the second time this summer and your happy about this?
I guess my initial response to this post was deleted because it wasn't very nice but here's a summary:

- Finger and McCabe defensive play are not comparable
- It's a fourth not a first

Old
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Go ahead.

And for the record he IS worth more than everyone on the Islanders minus Dipietro.

Right so it would take Okposo and 4th rounder to get Van Ryn, or Comeau and a 4th rounder to get Van Ryn, or Bailey and a 4th rounder to get Van Ryn.

What a joke your posts are. You're not only incredibly biased and homeristic, you then go on to deny being biased and homeristic when reality smacks you in the face.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
with a NMC, he was essentially untradeable... at least not for equal value.
NMC doesn't mean he's untradable, well maybe only in Toronto it does. Leafs created thier own monster though, thats for sure.

Old
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Hawaii
e5: McCabe to Hawaii

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Heist

Seems to be the same old same old for the Maple Leafs as demonstrated by zeke's excellent post.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Your team is rebuilding no? So far this summer they sent the Rangers (thank you) thier 5th for Hollweg who is as pure a 4th liner as they come. Then you give up a 4th to get rid of the better player, salary dump or not. If my team was rebuilding like the Leafs I would want all the picks I could get. This deal did nothing to help the rebuild, if anything it hindered it. Man the Leafs are a mess. Luke Schenn is the prize that came out of everything since last year?
How many fourth or fifth round picks currently play on the Rangers? Zero?

How many fourth or fifth round picks ever have a full career in the NHL? 1%?

Old
09-02-2008, 05:54 PM
asdf

Quote:
NMC doesn't mean he's untradable, well maybe only in Toronto it does. Leafs created thier own monster though, thats for sure.
How many players with NMC's have been traded? There is no hard and fast rule with this. Some players may be more accomodating in waiving while others, like McCabe, may be more stubborn.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Right so it would take Okposo and 4th rounder to get Van Ryn, or Comeau and a 4th rounder to get Van Ryn, or Bailey and a 4th rounder to get Van Ryn.

What a joke your posts are. You're not only incredibly biased and homeristic, you then go on to deny being biased and homeristic when reality smacks you in the face.
OK, I'll add Okposo to that list too. Happy?

Old
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Great trade for Toronto!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

Exactly.

Here's another way to think about it: if the Leafs had held on to McCabe and not bothered wasting money on Jeff Finger this summer (a defenseman so bad he was kept in the press box while the Avalanche defense was being torched by the Red Wings), their difference in cap dollars would be 2 million per year (which they are not planning to spend anyway), and their difference in real dollars (since they had to pay McCabe's bonus anyway) would some something like 650k per year.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Okposo has technically never been on the Islanders roster, my statement still stands.

I wonder how he played in those 9 games, and scored 5 points, without being "on the roster..."

And, that doesn't even begin to account for the fact that there are probably a dozen other players on the Isles roster that have more trade value than Van Ryn minus a fourth rounder.

Comeau alone WITHOUT an added pick could have easily gotten Van Ryn. In fact, the Leafs would have been falling all over themselves if they could have gotten that return instead of Van Ryn.

Heck, Radnek Martinek, who is basically a 4/5 dman on a good team has more market value than Van Ryn.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
evgeni71

Quote:
Go ahead.

Okposo? Comeau? Bergenheim? Campoli? Bailey? Heck, I think Comrie could fetch McCabe.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote