HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Florida sends Mike Van Ryn to Toronto for Bryan McCabe and a 2010 4th round pick

Old
09-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Fletcher's genius capspace savings plan:

OUT ------- IN

Tucker ($3.0/3yrs) -------- Hagman ($3.0/4yrs) + Tucker Buyout ($1.0/6yrs)
Kilger ($0.9/1yrs) -------- Mayers ($1.3/1yrs)

McCabe ($5.75/3yrs) ------- Finger ($3.5/4yrs)
Gill ($2.1/1yrs) -------- VanRyn ($2.9/2yrs)
Kronwall ($0.5/1yrs) ------- Frogren ($1.0/2yrs)

Raycroft ($2.0/1yrs) ------- Cujo ($0.7/1yrs) + Raycroft Buyout ($.6/2yrs)

Cap difference:

Year 1: $14.25 --------- $14.00
Year 2: $8.75 --------- $11.9
Year 3: $8.75 --------- $7.5
Year 4: $0.00 --------- $1.0
Year 5: $0.00 --------- $1.0
Year 6: $0.00 --------- $1.0

now that's some impressive running around in circles right there.

If you notice, the team doesn't get any younger in the process, gets significantly less talented, and let's remember that Cliff has managed to give away 7-8 draft picks in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
WTF? That's insane!

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
If Florida can find more than one way to utilize McCabe offensively, he'll be a good offensive d-man for them.

Paul Maurice was too stubborn, and the Leafs as a team always relied on the same type of play.

Same thing with Tucker. They would always, always, always look for the cross-crease pass to Tucker. Darcy would just stand at the side of the net waiting for the puck. It stopped working, but they kept trying.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
WTF? That's insane!
It's also kinda misleading. Almost everyone of those changes represents a definite defensive upgrade and/or loss of a restrictive contract (NMC/NTC). While also achieving the entire "changing of the culture". Cap space wasn't the issue, it was getting rid of the big, restricting contracts (Tucker, McCabe, Raycroft). Arguably we could end up with a few, just as bad contracts, just with no NMC/NTC's.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's not Fletcher's job to get them to waive the NTC's. JFJ and MLSE left the Leafs a mess (and said if he wouldn't have given the NTC's someone else would have and there was NO WAY MLSE was down with a rebuild at that point). Fletcher's job is to clean it up, but he can only do so within rules. What's he supposed to say? Waive or be waived? Waive or we burn down your house? What's he supposed to do?
Well I guess he could tell them not to come to training camp...

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
...if Van Ryn is given a chance to up his value and be traded it was a good one...
I think thats what Fletcher is counting on. And its a good assumption too. If Van Ryn bounces back (and I think he will), he'll be worth a good amount at the trade deadline (at least a 2nd rounder) when all the playoff teams look to add another d-man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
cap hit is 5.75M$ per
Cap hit really doesn't matter much for Florida since they probably wont ever exceed the cap and even with McCabe are over $4M under the cap. Plus both Boynton and Skrastins have 1 yr left on their deal which totals $5.3M as a cap hit. For Florida, the actual salary is more important and why they waited to complete the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
If Florida can find more than one way to utilize McCabe offensively, he'll be a good offensive d-man for them.
It looks like they will. They wont try to make him a top 2 pairing but he will get plenty of time on the point of the PP. I think you'll see his defensive gaffs significantly decrease while his point totals only take a minor hit, if at all. I think its all in how you use McCabe because I'm sure Leaf fans will see a difference with his play in FL and complain more about not getting enough for him.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Fair enough. I apologize for misinterpreting your post.

And, I don't agree with you (because I think holding onto Kubina was critical for making the Leafs competitive this year). But, I respect your reasoned arguments. This, in fact, is one heck of a thoughtful analysis.
I read it again and I can see why you thought it was directed at you because thats exactly how it looks, my fault.

I am just pissed because we have to suffer through the same things over and over again: perrault to reichel to allison (not small but slow poor shot pass first player) to Wellwood.

When the leafs already had kaberle and McCabe they bought: Shevla, Leetch, Kubina and now van ryn: instead of players like Witt etc.... They just keep icing the exact same team just with different numbers. Its like watching a guy trying to play with different color chess peices and being surprised that he always falls into the same traps.

But from a fans POV, what do you think is going on here, because I honestly dont know, I dont really get it. I honestly respect your opinion as a fan and you seem to know as much about the leafs as anyone on our board so I was wondering what your take on this mess is. The leafs keep going on the air saying that youth will have prominent roles but now on D they have 4 guys age 29 and up making 3.3 million and up. They have to play. If guys like stralman, cola get top pp time with kaberle, what was the point of keeping kubina?

They dont really want to be competitive, so they keep kubina?
They dont want to get pushed around so they trade Belak for Hollweg?
They dont want weak soft players like wellwood so they trade a 2nd and a 5th for Grabovski?
They dont want to have long term contracts so they buy them out, but then give out longer contracts (Finger and Hagman for 4 years)
Fletcher goes on TV screaming about the player who refused his NTC at the last minute (Kubina) but after 20 good games he could be captain?

Honestly Darth overall what is your opinion on what the leafs have done so far?

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I think you'll see his defensive gaffs significantly decrease while his point totals only take a minor hit, if at all. .
there aren't that many defensive gaffes in the first place.

the only difference will be that every gaffe he makes won't a) end up behind a great goalie like Vokoun, and b) won't be replayed ad nauseam across the hockey world.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I read it again and I can see why you thought it was directed at you because thats exactly how it looks, my fault.

I am just pissed because we have to suffer through the same things over and over again: perrault to reichel to allison (not small but slow poor shot pass first player) to Wellwood.

When the leafs already had kaberle and McCabe they bought: Shevla, Leetch, Kubina and now van ryn: instead of players like Witt etc.... They just keep icing the exact same team just with different numbers. Its like watching a guy trying to play with different color chess peices and being surprised that he always falls into the same traps.

But from a fans POV, what do you think is going on here, because I honestly dont know, I dont really get it. I honestly respect your opinion as a fan and you seem to know as much about the leafs as anyone on our board so I was wondering what your take on this mess is. The leafs keep going on the air saying that youth will have prominent roles but now on D they have 4 guys age 29 and up making 3.3 million and up. They have to play. If guys like stralman, cola get top pp time with kaberle, what was the point of keeping kubina?

They dont really want to be competitive, so they keep kubina?
They dont want to get pushed around so they trade Belak for Hollweg?
They dont want weak soft players like wellwood so they trade a 2nd and a 5th for Grabovski?
They dont want to have long term contracts so they buy them out, but then give out longer contracts (Finger and Hagman for 4 years)
Fletcher goes on TV screaming about the player who refused his NTC at the last minute (Kubina) but after 20 good games he could be captain?

Honestly Darth overall what is your opinion on what the leafs have done so far?
Other than moving a lot of picks, I like what Fletcher has done. I think many of the signings (Finger) will convince the skeptics, think Schenn will be a total stud, and belive the table is set nicely for future UFA signings. I also think the Leaf defense is going to be far better than anybody expects.