HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carbonneau's got his line-up 95% made up

Old
09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
This means nothing. Unless Carbo or Gainey is webmaster and is the one updating that roster.
I did notice one thing about that roster. Lapierre seem to be more like 6'3 to 6'4.
During the golf tournament, in some of the footage, Lapierre appeared to be just has big as Komi, if not taller

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 50
I wouldn't read too much into Carbo's comments. I think if you asked most coaches before training camp. The majority would probably say something similar.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 09:26 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I wouldn't read too much into Carbo's comments. I think if you asked most coaches before training camp. The majority would probably say something similar.
Exactly. If he said something like "OMG!!!!!!!1, I have NO idea! LOLz", it could be seen as incompetence.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 09:29 AM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
This means nothing. Unless Carbo or Gainey is webmaster and is the one updating that roster.
Well it's changed over the summer, probably means nothing, but it has changed since the playoffs when it had the taxi squad and there's only one player remaining from that taxi squad.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Darz

95% is just a number. I think Carbo's point is there isn't alot of roster spots up for grabs in training camp. That doesn't mean that there won't be changes in training camp, preseason, etc., it's just right now there doesn't seemed to be alot of roster spots up for grabs. Doesn't mean a rookie couldn't grab a spot, it's just that they aren't relying on it.

09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Habber09

Should'nt have to change much

Habber09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Tanguay - Koivu - Dandenault
hahahaha...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 02:33 AM
discolafleur

Bob Gainey has clearly stated that Kyle Chipchura has an NHL Center position with the team this year, and it's his job to lose, or keep.

Barring Sundin or Other, it's Chips and Max

Add Sundin, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Chips at 4th center with Lapierre on wing/filler.

Let's not forgot Chipchura's excellent pedigree and upside.

Seriously.

discolafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
He shoulda said 87% sure. That way only 13 is missing.
Hehe, I see what you did there...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 10:01 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
So then basically, if Carbonneau can claim to pretty much have his mind made up without training camp, then you can assume no younger guys will displace the older guys and the only new faces are Tanguay and Laraque. The line up could very well be:

A.Kostitsyn --------- Plecanec ----------- Kovalev
Tanguay ------------- Koivu ------------- Latendresse
Higgins -------------- ??????? ------------ S.Kostitsyn
Begin/Kosto --------- Lapierre ------------ Laraque/Dandenault

Markov --------------- Komisarek
Hamrlik --------------- O'Byrne/Brisebois
Gorges --------------- Boullion

Price
Halak

Not including the extra players, that's 19 spots out of 20 (95%). It seems Chipchura will be given every opportunity to win the center spot and S.Kostitsyn will be given every opportunity to win the center spot. If Chipchura forms a nice line with Higgins and S.Kostitsyn, then things are set. If S.Kostitsyn performs very well at center, then a new winger may be on the club and Chipchura in the minors again. Who knows, but it looks like one spot is up for grabs........

I had that spot penciled in with Stephan Yelle, who unfortunately just signed with the Bruins. Mistake by Gainey IMO. Right now, there is lack of quality depth. A lot of depth in youth of course but we haven't replaced Smolinki, who as a veteran did extremely well in the playoffs. 3rd line centre is too important to leave to Chips/ S Kost.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
So then basically, if Carbonneau can claim to pretty much have his mind made up without training camp, then you can assume no younger guys will displace the older guys and the only new faces are Tanguay and Laraque. The line up could very well be:

A.Kostitsyn --------- Plecanec ----------- Kovalev
Tanguay ------------- Koivu ------------- Latendresse
Higgins -------------- ??????? ------------ S.Kostitsyn
Begin/Kosto --------- Lapierre ------------ Laraque/Dandenault

Markov --------------- Komisarek
Hamrlik --------------- O'Byrne/Brisebois
Gorges --------------- Boullion

Price
Halak

Not including the extra players, that's 19 spots out of 20 (95%). It seems Chipchura will be given every opportunity to win the center spot and S.Kostitsyn will be given every opportunity to win the center spot. If Chipchura forms a nice line with Higgins and S.Kostitsyn, then things are set. If S.Kostitsyn performs very well at center, then a new winger may be on the club and Chipchura in the minors again. Who knows, but it looks like one spot is up for grabs........
Oh brother!

Not saying Lats won't have that spot somewhen, but you are deluding yourself if you actually think this is gonna be Carbo's line-up that he's made up already for the beginning of the season.

Especially since Gainey said they would use Chipchura and Lats has chemistry with both Chips and SKost as shown by their stints together last season.

For sure, Carbo will use Lats instead of the more proven, more defensively sound Higgins, just for the sake of pleasing the Lats worshippers.

Why do you think Tanguay said more than once, that he'd be willing to play on the right side, and then goes on to say he admires Koivu?? Because he knows that quite probably, he'll go on Koivu's right side and let Higgins go on the left side as Higgins is not used to play on the right side. Or else, why would Tanguay make such a comment when we already have THREE potential right wingers in Kovy, AKost and Lats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan View Post
I had that spot penciled in with Stephan Yelle, who unfortunately just signed with the Bruins. Mistake by Gainey IMO. Right now, there is lack of quality depth. A lot of depth in youth of course but we haven't replaced Smolinki, who as a veteran did extremely well in the playoffs. 3rd line centre is too important to leave to Chips/ S Kost.
Is too important when you are playing it as a checking line, which it might not. Carbo seems intent on using three offensive lines now that he has the forwards to do so, and the first two lines will be given the brunt of the icetime against the opposing team's top lines. There is no lack of quality depth. The Habs have won the eastern conference, presicely because they had a lot of depth. The only thing they lack would be another center and yet it is not such a lost as we have seen what happened when the youth were given responsibilities, the team got better. I'd much prefer to give experience to SKost and Chips than taking a guy like Yelle. The former might give you a good impact on the short term and will be very beneficial for the long term, whereas the latter will only be good for the short term and will be an obstacle to develop for the long term. For sure, if we were talking about putting Sundin on the first and then Koivu on the third, it's completely different story, as Sundin's impact will be much greater than Yelle. But to chose between Yelle and our promising youth, I'd go with the youth, especially since both of them aren't green anymore.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
GoHabs20

so when and where will training camp be held this year?

want to hear all about the youngsters battling for that 5% roster spot.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Oh brother!

Not saying Lats won't have that spot somewhen, but you are deluding yourself if you actually think this is gonna be Carbo's line-up that he's made up already for the beginning of the season.

Especially since Gainey said they would use Chipchura and Lats has chemistry with both Chips and SKost as shown by their stints together last season.

For sure, Carbo will use Lats instead of the more proven, more defensively sound Higgins, just for the sake of pleasing the Lats worshippers.

Why do you think Tanguay said more than once, that he'd be willing to play on the right side, and then goes on to say he admires Koivu?? Because he knows that quite probably, he'll go on Koivu's right side and let Higgins go on the left side as Higgins is not used to play on the right side. Or else, why would Tanguay make such a comment when we already have THREE potential right wingers in Kovy, AKost and Lats???
Personally, I really like that line-up for two reasons.

1st - I'm far from being a Latendresse fanboy. I actually was never a fan of his (probably because he got more hype than he deserved, and that got on my nerves).
But with that said, I honestly think that playing with Koivu and Tanguay would be huge for him. He's got good finish and is intelligent. I personally think he could hit the 30 goal mark with Koivu and Tanguay setting him up.

2nd - I love that third line as an offensive checking line. All three are defensively responsible, and have some offensive punch. Higgins is a good finisher, and SKosty and Chipchura pass the puck quite well.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 04:51 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Exactly. If he said something like "OMG!!!!!!!1, I have NO idea! LOLz", it could be seen as incompetence.
You mean he isn't already seen as such?

Now the line-up should be this..

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-A. Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-S. Kostitsyn
Laraque-Lapierre-Kostopolous

But knowing Carbonneau it'll be a defencemen on every line with every winger on their off-wing.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

1st - I'm far from being a Latendresse fanboy. I actually was never a fan of his (probably because he got more hype than he deserved, and that got on my nerves).
But with that said, I honestly think that playing with Koivu and Tanguay would be huge for him. He's got good finish and is intelligent. I personally think he could hit the 30 goal mark with Koivu and Tanguay setting him up.

2nd - I love that third line as an offensive checking line. All three are defensively responsible, and have some offensive punch. Higgins is a good finisher, and SKosty and Chipchura pass the puck quite well.
I rather think Carbo will continu to use Higgins with koivu, adding Tanguay to their line.

Lats already has chemistry with Chips and SKost. I don't think the 3rd line will be all defensive. Not even partially a checking line. They will use the first two lines as the checking lines, like they did last season, only with better results.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I did notice one thing about that roster. Lapierre seem to be more like 6'3 to 6'4.
During the golf tournament, in some of the footage, Lapierre appeared to be just has big as Komi, if not taller
Komisarek might be 6'4, but he doesn't look like it if you compare him with some others on the ice. Eric Lindros (besides Chara) is the most imposing player that i've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

Blame the medias and the fans. Not the kid !

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-05-2008 at 03:09 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I rather think Carbo will continu to use Higgins with koivu, adding Tanguay to their line.

Lats already has chemistry with Chips and SKost. I don't think the 3rd line will be all defensive. Not even partially a checking line. They will use the first two lines as the checking lines, like they did last season, only with better results.
Agreed on all points. Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay will be tough for anyone to maintain possession/score against.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Agreed on all points. Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay will be tough for anyone to maintain possession/score against.
Yeah, based on the quotes I've heard from Gainey and Carboneau so far this offseason, I would expect this is the lineup that we will see opening night (assuming there is no change of personnel and no rookie forces his way into the lineup):

Andrei-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Latendresse-Chipchura-Sergei
Begin/Lapierre/Kostopolous/Laraque

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You mean he isn't already seen as such?

Now the line-up should be this..

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-A. Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-S. Kostitsyn
Laraque-Lapierre-Kostopolous

But knowing Carbonneau it'll be a defencemen on every line with every winger on their off-wing.
Yes exactly. Begin and Laraque play 41 games each, or whenever Begin is injured Laraque can take his spot, it's same thing really.

That's my lineup right there. Very nice.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:59 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Yes exactly. Begin and Laraque play 41 games each, or whenever Begin is injured Laraque can take his spot, it's same thing really.

Laraque, with his 3 years-1,5 per year will play a maximum of games. The competition is between Begin and Kostopoulos who have the same style and same "offensive" values.

Anyway, injuries are going to happen and we will see those fourth liners often in the lineup.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post

there is absolutely no way in hell that Laraque woulf of signed a 3 year deal as the highest paid goon in the league only to play half of the game, i think it's about time that Gainey starts cutting ties with players that are of no use to us like Bégin and Dandenault, i prefer Chipchura, Lappierre, Kostopoulos and Laraque over those 2

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Lone Rogue

I think Carbo wants Lapierre on the wing. At least I hope so, he is so much more effective there.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I think Carbo wants Lapierre on the wing. At least I hope so, he is so much more effective there.
He may want him there, but without Sundin, it ain't happening.

Old
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He may want him there, but without Sundin, it ain't happening.
If he is trying Sergei out as a centermen, yes it will:

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Andrei Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Sergei Kostitsyn - Laraque
Begin - Chipchura - Lapierre

(Slide in Laraque to the RW anytime on the top two lines whenever needed)

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:54 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
If he is trying Sergei out as a centermen, yes it will:

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Andrei Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Sergei Kostitsyn - Laraque
Begin - Chipchura - Lapierre

(Slide in Laraque to the RW anytime on the top two lines whenever needed)
Sergei won't work at center.

It's either Sundin or.. the very very off chance Maxwell makes the team outta camp.