HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why couldnt we have kept Jagr and just focused on the Defense?

Old
09-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
Why couldnt we have kept Jagr and just focused on the Defense?

Avery at that price was a little too high. Yes i agree with that but letting Jagr go might have been too much of a mistake. He was great. Yes he went on a lot of streaks for us last year but who was most important to our playoff success? Jaromir. We did not have to make a radical change on our roster like we did this year. The thing that most importantly let us down was the defense. I dont like the signings of Rosival and Redden. For that money the rangers could have had Orpik, Streit, and Commodore. That's 3 quality relatively young defenders exluding Commodore instead of 2 aging defenders who have probably had their peak years pass. Plus we could have still signed Mara and traded Backman and Tyutin(sad to see him go) for Zherdev and Fritsche. And also if we needed to we still would have had enough money to go and get if we so desired Naslund or Sundin or make a trade for a top 6 forward and be under the cap.

I know some people dont like thinking about something that never happened or reading lineups but look at how much more appealable our roster is if it had just been done like i had just wrote:

prucha-dubinsky-jagr
zherdev-gomez-dawes(unless we signed naslund/atop 6 forward/sundin)
callahan-drury-fritsche
sjostrom-betts-korpikowski

orpik-girardi
staal-streit
commodore-mara

henriq

that team would have been insane. clearly the favorites if not only for the atlantic division but the east. now we have a nice young dynamic team but ask yourselves was it really necessary to let jagr go and lock up rosival and redden to way over expensive contracts?

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

We didn't let Jagr go really... Water under the bridge. New team new look! Lets start the season already.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
NYR Viper

im happy the rangers decided to let go of the past....it was time to focus the offense on the TEAM aspect instead of on one person....also thewn drury would still be the 3rd line center and that is rediculous considering how much time he should be getting

on the subject of the defense...would i have loved to sign orpik?....absolutely....but he got close to rozsival type money...and rozsival is the better overall defender.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:09 PM
segmentation fault

Also didnt Orpik get offered more elsewhere and refuse?

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Because Jagr is a self-centered whiny ***** who can't take care of himself, and plays only for the money.

/thread

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Wow, I'm not even going to read the OP.

We didn't re-sign Jagr because the team brass wanted to head in a different direction and build a team that didn't revolve around Jagr. How much clearer to people need to hear it to understand it?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Macke*

Sather wanted a different direction plus Jagr wanted too much.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Turambar

I can reserve you a flight coming back from Chicago, does that help??

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Have you seen Jagr in the games from Russia via the web??

He looks like ass IMO...I'm kinda glad he's gone and not pulling that crap here.

His production slipped last season and the guy could barely score anymore...looked like he didn't even give a dam to try and score a goal in the shootouts too.

This isn't the Jagr of the 90's we're talkin about anymore.

Time to move on...

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Avery at that price was a little too high. Yes i agree with that but letting Jagr go might have been too much of a mistake. He was great. Yes he went on a lot of streaks for us last year but who was most important to our playoff success? Jaromir. We did not have to make a radical change on our roster like we did this year. The thing that most importantly let us down was the defense. I dont like the signings of Rosival and Redden. For that money the rangers could have had Orpik, Streit, and Commodore. That's 3 quality relatively young defenders exluding Commodore instead of 2 aging defenders who have probably had their peak years pass. Plus we could have still signed Mara and traded Backman and Tyutin(sad to see him go) for Zherdev and Fritsche. And also if we needed to we still would have had enough money to go and get if we so desired Naslund or Sundin or make a trade for a top 6 forward and be under the cap.

I know some people dont like thinking about something that never happened or reading lineups but look at how much more appealable our roster is if it had just been done like i had just wrote:

prucha-dubinsky-jagr
zherdev-gomez-dawes(unless we signed naslund/atop 6 forward/sundin)
callahan-drury-fritsche
sjostrom-betts-korpikowski

orpik-girardi
staal-streit
commodore-mara

henriq

that team would have been insane. clearly the favorites if not only for the atlantic division but the east. now we have a nice young dynamic team but ask yourselves was it really necessary to let jagr go and lock up rosival and redden to way over expensive contracts?
I love these horribly un-informed statements. SATHER DID MAKE AN OFFER TO ORPIK. It was reported on TSN, Blueshirtbulletin, Hockeybuzz... etc... and you know what? ORPIK turned it down for less money to stay with Pittsburgh.

Would you really want a 36/37 year old Jagr running your offense? Hes got one assist in 3 games so far in the KHL which is not nearly as talented as the NHL.

Also you do know Streit plays offense and defense? How many of his points came from playing on offense? Something to keep in mind...

09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I can reserve you a flight coming back from Chicago, does that help??
on that note....

"hi, i'm earth, have we met?"

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:15 PM
isles20*

yeah rangers made a HUGE mistake getting rid of Jags, nobody to really fill his shoes. Dubi's play shall decrease immensely now that the superstar is gone. Prucha was a result of Jagr also. They should have payed him w/e he wanted!

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Jagr, while being a talented winger, demands that you base your offensive attack around him. He needs to be on the 1st power play and needs to be distributing the puck (in his office, the far half-boards) before anyone else.

I love Jagr... and I will miss him like nobody's business, but I can't fault Sather for moving away from a 37 year old as the PP QB and offensive stalwart. We are moving younger, quicker... you can fault Glen for a lot of ****, but not for his recent moves IMO.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyj4eva View Post
yeah rangers made a HUGE mistake getting rid of Jags, nobody to really fill his shoes. Dubi's play shall decrease immensely now that the superstar is gone. Prucha was a result of Jagr also. They should have payed him w/e he wanted!
Ahh, ****, you mean we're going to see a decrease in Prucha's awesome 17 points of production?!?!? What the hell will we do?!?!?

And Dubinsky was going to have to learn to play without Jagr eventually. The kid has talent and hopefully he was able to absorb some lessons from Jagr. If he can't play without Jagr, then he doesn't belong on the top two lines and really never did.

There are like 45756786534213 threads discussing whether or not we should have re-signed Jagr. Do we really need another one so two posters with 16 combined posts can piss and moan some more?

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

HELLO PEOPLE? Did anyone listen to Sather's interview on msg.com after they signed Naslund and Redden?

Jagr's agent never got back to Sather... They never even got to talk contract amounts... Glen said he wasn't going to wait around forever, Jagr's camp knew that when they acted the way they did...

Jagr chose to go separate ways, not Sather.... Everyone's painting the picture like Sather chose to part ways with Jagr... It takes two to tango and one party obviously wasn't interested....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
hlundqvist30*

So a team that was 4th in the NHL in Goals Against and 25th in Goals For needs to maintain its offense and change its defense? Where do you people get your logic from?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:32 PM
D713B

I only have one thing to say in regard to this topic:

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I only have one thing to say in regard to this topic:

Agreed. Shut up please.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyj4eva View Post
Yeah, lets keep building around a 37 year old.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Jagr is gone....get over it.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Jagr is gone....get over it.
Not to mention the fact that he would have wanted to have been the highest paid player... remember his yapping about performing when the pressure is on which he was alluding to his contract... No effing way would I want him back. Im glad he was a Ranger and not to take anything away from what he did but IT WAS TIME TO MOVE ON.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
RANGERS2448

dont get me wrong i loved jagr but we looked to him to much on the pp or really anytime he was on the ice. we are better of with out him let the young guys pic up the slack and learn. we couldnt move on to the future with him in the line up plane and simple im glad he is gone

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
ThirdEye

People seem to be forgetting his 10 game pointless streaks from last season when he looked like absolute crap without much excuse. People (including me) were ready to jump off the bridge, because that was a time when we needed to win the games and he didn't show up. I know Lundqvist wasn't great for a period of time too, but he's relatively young and had the weight of a new contract on him. Yes he was a beast in the playoffs, and I thank him for that

Our PP was deplorable, and I can't see it getting any worse really. I look forward to this season

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Jxmarts

Jagr was a good Ranger, and we should applaud him for his time here. But as long as Jagr was still around, the Rangers would have had to continue to build their team around him. Jagr's ego would accept no less. Perhaps the Rangers might have had a better record in 2008-09 with him than without. But with Jagr at 37 and on the decline, the Rangers correctly realized that they had gone as far as they would ever go with him as the centerpiece of this team. If the long-term goal is to win a Stanley Cup, the Rangers needed to start reshaping their roster sooner rather than later because if it hadn't happened yet, it was never going to happen with Jagr.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 07:15 AM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

New season, new team, move on..

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote