HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

teams you are rooting for and against other than MTL

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 09:14 PM
DEBASER

vCash: 500
teams you are rooting for and against other than MTL

With the stretch run just ahead, which teams other than montreal are you rooting for to make it (and perform well in the playoffs) and which are you rooting againts?

i'm really partial to teams with smart management and low payrolls. i also like rooting for the underdog and canadian teams (they tend to have low payrolls).

that said, in the east, i really want ottawa to make the finals. i absolutely love the makeup of that team. i think they are the most skilled team in the league as well as being the deepest. i also like New Jersey - they don't have the same top end talent of most upper eschelon teams, but they do well every year with hard work, defence, goaltending, and excellent management. Finally, if it weren't for the fact that they are competing with us for a playoff spot, i'd love to see buffalo make the show after years of futility. if they do make it, hopefully it will be at the expense of the isles and not us.

In the West, I'd like to see Vancouver make the finals. I also hope for good things from Calgary and Nashville - it would be great to see these team finally make the playoffs - they are two tough teams that play with heart and i could see either of them making life tough for their first round opponent. I want LA to make it as well; they've gone through an unreal amount of injuries but are still in the hunt.

The one and only team i'd like to see miss the playoffs are the Dallas stars. while they could make the first round interesting, i can't help but root against them given their huge payroll and the rediculous contracts they've given out over the years.

peace.

Old
02-23-2004, 09:18 PM
RE-HABS

I just hope montreal beats whoever is chasing them.

I would like to see Nashville and Calgary make it to the post season though in the West.

Old
02-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBASER
With the stretch run just ahead, which teams other than montreal are you rooting for to make it (and perform well in the playoffs) and which are you rooting againts?

i'm really partial to teams with smart management and low payrolls. i also like rooting for the underdog and canadian teams (they tend to have low payrolls).

that said, in the east, i really want ottawa to make the finals. i absolutely love the makeup of that team. i think they are the most skilled team in the league as well as being the deepest. i also like New Jersey - they don't have the same top end talent of most upper eschelon teams, but they do well every year with hard work, defence, goaltending, and excellent management. Finally, if it weren't for the fact that they are competing with us for a playoff spot, i'd love to see buffalo make the show after years of futility. if they do make it, hopefully it will be at the expense of the isles and not us.

In the West, I'd like to see Vancouver make the finals. I also hope for good things from Calgary and Nashville - it would be great to see these team finally make the playoffs - they are two tough teams that play with heart and i could see either of them making life tough for their first round opponent. I want LA to make it as well; they've gone through an unreal amount of injuries but are still in the hunt.

The one and only team i'd like to see miss the playoffs are the Dallas stars. while they could make the first round interesting, i can't help but root against them given their huge payroll and the rediculous contracts they've given out over the years.

peace.
the teams that play NYI and buffalo from now til april 4th are the only other teams im rooting for.

Old
02-23-2004, 09:22 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Vancouver Canucks for the cup!

Old
02-23-2004, 09:26 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Vancouver Canucks for the cup!
Cloutier will never lead the Nucks to the promise land. Plus the Sedins need a legit linemate to give the Nucks some extra scoring...Bert was shutdown pretty well last year in the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2004, 09:29 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Cloutier will never lead the Nucks to the promise land. Plus the Sedins need a legit linemate to give the Nucks some extra scoring...Bert was shutdown pretty well last year in the playoffs.
Clouts has more experience now and if they get someone to play with the twins (Zednik maybe I guess they have a chance.

Old
02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
well My favorite team are

1)Montreal
2)Edmonton(Damn I hope they make the playoff)
3)Columbus(Yes!Columbus)

Old
02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
DEBASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
the teams that play NYI and buffalo from now til april 4th are the only other teams im rooting for.
touche

Old
02-23-2004, 09:40 PM
BigM1ke

West : Vancouver
East : Ottawa and Tampa Bay

But none are comparable to the Habs

Old
02-23-2004, 09:55 PM
chicpea*

Like Van-Hab, I too am all for the Canucks meeting the Habs in the Final.
Ohlund = Stability (when he's not scoring on his own net).

As for who'd I'd like to see lose, well that's easy: Boston, New Jersey and Dallas (I just kind of feel sorry for the leafs).

Old
02-23-2004, 10:01 PM
#44_delivers

my faivoret teams are:
montreal

tampa bay
columbus

Old
02-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Kirk Muller*

I think I have the same preferences as Debaser.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:08 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
I actually dont mind Tampa Bay and Edmonton that much

Old
02-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Orange

The only other team I root for is Vancouver.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Personally, apart from the Habs, I don't root for any team...

I root for individual players. I like when the hard working guys get rewarded. It's really uncommon to see a team filled with deserving individuals, but this year I'd say the team close to my heart are the Thrashers. With everything they went threw, I would have love to see them in the playoffs.

Needless to say last on my list are the Rags and Laffs.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Blackshad

I really like the Red Wings too

Old
02-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Tuggy

Well if the Habs weren't around in the postseason picture....

In the East it would be the Sens. Bondra is one of my favorite players and I was really happy to see him get traded to Ottawa....

In the West it would be the Sharks and Preds. I have always been a fan of the Sharks because their first ever player drafted was Pat Falloon and he was my favorite junior player, but now I am a fan of the entire team. Not sure why but I have always had a soft spot for the Preds.

As for Canadian teams....Habs, Sens, Flames...all the others can miss the playoffs for all I care

Old
02-23-2004, 10:43 PM
tinyzombies

I'm out here in the Bay Area now, so my second team is the Sharks, but any team that plays the Habs I hate! (mad laughter)

I love watching the Avs and Wings as does everyone. I kind of like the Avs better because I won a lot of money on game 7 in 2001...plus they play the style of hockey I want to see from the Habs one day...

I like Calgary too. Iginla rocks.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
1. Montreal
2. Ottawa
3a. Nashville
3b. Vancouver
3c. Edmonton

Old
02-23-2004, 10:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Well if the Habs weren't around in the postseason picture....

In the East it would be the Sens. Bondra is one of my favorite players and I was really happy to see him get traded to Ottawa....

In the West it would be the Sharks and Preds. I have always been a fan of the Sharks because their first ever player drafted was Pat Falloon and he was my favorite junior player, but now I am a fan of the entire team. Not sure why but I have always had a soft spot for the Preds.

As for Canadian teams....Habs, Sens, Flames...all the others can miss the playoffs for all I care
I liked Fat Balloon too and Marleau has taken it to another level this year.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I liked Fat Balloon too and Marleau has taken it to another level this year.
Hey now, if he didn't get hurt in his second year..... but ya Marleau is the man! And I love Sturm's intensity, everytime he scores he goes nuts

Old
02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
West : Vancouver
East : Ottawa and Tampa Bay

But none are comparable to the Habs

I agree, but sometimes Ottawa leaves me cold.....

is it my imagination or is Havlat more exciting then Hossa?

Old
02-23-2004, 10:49 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Hey now, if he didn't get hurt in his second year..... but ya Marleau is the man! And I love Sturm's intensity, everytime he scores he goes nuts
Sharks are definitely the darkhorse. They remind me a lot of the LA Kings the last couple years: fast, gritty forwards, except their defense is better and their goaltending is just as good as the years Potvin was hot.

They could easily knock off any of the fat cats if they are taken lightly because they skate, skate, skate and keep skating...

Old
02-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Habsolution

I'm biased toward canadians teams (except the leafs of course... ). I also like small market teams and systems based on offense and creativity. I also tend to cheer for teams who've got players I like. So I have to say ...

1. Tampa Bay : Gotta love their system. They play very entertaining hockey and they've got the talent to do it. Gotta like St-Louis. I just like his feistiness, his desire to win and his passion. My kind of player. So glad I picked him in my pool.

2. Vancouver : Canadian team, kinda low budget and system based on offense. They've got superstars aplenty : Bertuzzi, Naslund, Jovanovsky.. Pretty exciting team. They're not playing their best hockey, bet they miss Naslund.

3. Ottawa : They've got so much firepower. Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Spezza and Bondra is just an awesome forward corps. They've got deep defense and play such a sound system. Give them Kolzig and the cup is theirs.

Mention to Atlanta, Nashville, Calgary and Minnesota.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
I agree, but sometimes Ottawa leaves me cold.....

is it my imagination or is Havlat more exciting then Hossa?
Havlat is way more creative in my opinion. But Hossa is a much more effective player. He's faster, stronger on his skates and has got a better shot IMO. I'd definately take Hossa before Havlat on my team. Havlat is the third RW in the sens system. He often has a chance to play against weaker lines.

Closed Thread