HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Miller?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 08:48 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Ryan Miller?

What would your team give up for Ryan Miller?
He is still young,however his number's in the AHL are dropping and in his two of three appearence's up un the NHL he was blownout. Although he didn't get much help from the defense in those two game's either.

Your thought's?

Old
02-23-2004, 08:57 AM
blah

I don't see how he'll be able to pass Noronen. Not sure why they don't entertain offers on him.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Devo-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
He is still young,however his number's in the AHL are dropping and in his two of three appearence's up un the NHL he was blownout. Although he didn't get much help from the defense in those two game's either.

Your thought's?
I am interested in Miller's trade value as well as no one is untradeable in Buffalo, but I wouldn't say his numbers in the AHL are dropping. Comparing this season to last (his first in the AHL) Miller already has more shutouts (3), and has a better save percentage (.923) and goals against (2.29).

http://www.amerks.com/statisticshome...statsType=Team

http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0304/rochester.html

Old
02-23-2004, 10:40 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Since he is an unproven guy, maybe something like

Jason Smith, Rita, +2nd or 3rd

For Miller and Roy/Vanek?

Please note I am not great with proposals. If this is insanely lopsided either way please even it out how you see fit I just thought Smith was a good start.

Why they do it. Buffalo get a hard hitting team leader in Smith who is well know for his great defense and phsical play (plus I know Buffalo fans love Smith) + Rita who I still think is going to be great but obviously MacT doesn't like him and won't play him in the bigs. He may as well go and score his 20+ goals per for someone else.

Edmonton gets a great G prospect and with a tandem of JDD and Miller in the system most Oil fans would be very content. PLus either a pure sniper (which the Oil are desperatley lacking) or (my pref) Roy who has top 2 C written all over him (another area we are lacking in)

Thoughts?

Old
02-23-2004, 10:53 AM
blah

Way too much from Buffalo's end.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Peter Griffin

I'd love to see Brian Burke pick up a good goaltending prospect like Miller. Don't know what I'd offer though. More of a move that would be made in the off-season as opposed to the trade deadline.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Calgary_Moe

Miller

Quote:

Your thought's?
Ideas involving my two favourite teams:

TO TOR: Ryan Miller
TO BUF: Maxim Kondratiev and a 4th rounder

A Tellqvist/Miller tandum would be sweet in the future!

OR

TO CAL: Ryan Miller and Paul Gaustad
TO BUF: Denis Gauthier and some low pick

Kipper/Miller combo would be nice too!

More thoughts? Decently realistic or am I in left field?
Looks like Buffalo's defense needs to be and could get stronger.

Moe

Old
02-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe

OR

Moe
that's just awful....

Old
02-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
that's just awful....
No kidding. It would likely take at least a 1st rounder or good prospect to land Miller. From Calgary, how about a package centered around Eric Nystrom?

Old
02-23-2004, 11:51 AM
cybresabre
Smooth as Marzette G

vCash: 1001
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
(warning no intelligent comment)

yeah, I should come up with a counteroffer, but I don't think the Sabs are gonna dump Miller, and especially not for these deals.

We won't have anything left if we give up Miller and Vanek...
ouch.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:59 AM
kyle

Quote:
Remember Miller was considered the top goaltending prospect in the league a year ago. That's one of the worst offers I've seen.

Old
neelynugs

i think it would cost 1st rounder AND good prospect. we're talking about a kid that has stud ability in goal, and you can never underestimate what a good goalie can do for a team (see- boston (raycroft), calgary (kipper)...there are a few others too). i think LA should go after miller- their goaltending for the future is not good at all...in fact, miller could probably start for them next year and be an upgrade

Old
Kritty

Is Miller still thought of that highly around the league? I've been hearing alot of mixed opinions. Some people saying future star goalie, others saying a decent goalie with upside. I find it hard to believe that a guy can go from being a sure fire superstar last season to being a decent starter this season. Miller still hasn't gotten the chance to prove what he can do. A cup of coffee doesn't show me his potential as a starter, especially with the team he had in front of him. The Buffalo team of now was not the Buffalo team that Miller played behind. Just curious as to what fans out there think of his potential. I'm wondering because I have him and Gerber in my fantasy league and I want to move one.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Is Miller still thought of that highly around the league? I've been hearing alot of mixed opinions. Some people saying future star goalie, others saying a decent goalie with upside. I find it hard to believe that a guy can go from being a sure fire superstar last season to being a decent starter this season. Miller still hasn't gotten the chance to prove what he can do. A cup of coffee doesn't show me his potential as a starter, especially with the team he had in front of him. The Buffalo team of now was not the Buffalo team that Miller played behind. Just curious as to what fans out there think of his potential. I'm wondering because I have him and Gerber in my fantasy league and I want to move one.

IMO, Miller's development will likely mirror Dipietro's. Thrown into the fire for a few games early, honing his craft in the minors, getting the backup job with the big club, and than eventually securing the number one position. It might take a few years for that to happen. Having three quality keeps is almost a curse for Buffalo now. They need to trade one of Biron or Noronen for some other assets IMO.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Miller, IMHO, is a future stud goalie. He's a big game goalie and can dominate games. Unfortunatly, his few NHL showings this year, the Sabres have absolutly left him out to dry and its hurt his confidence a little. He is still the 3rd best goalie prospect in the NHL (Lehtonen and Fluery are still ahead of him). The only trades i would consider including him in would be a) trades that give Buffalo a shot at the 1st overall or b)Trades that bring Buffalo a young, franchise player.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

OR

Moe

Not even close to being realistic. Miller would fetch alot more than that.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:15 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre
(warning no intelligent comment)

yeah, I should come up with a counteroffer, but I don't think the Sabs are gonna dump Miller, and especially not for these deals.

We won't have anything left if we give up Miller and Vanek...
ouch.
For sure, I was pushing more for Roy anyways since he is a C.

I really didn't think mine was that bad.
I was going along the line of
Smith = Miller in value - pretty close anyways
and Rita and a 2nd/3rd = Roy.

It that really so terrible?

Smith is very valuable right now around the league given his incredible year he is having and Rita is still a top 50 prospect. I threw in the 2nd/3rd since Rita value has dropped in the last 2 years, but to me he still looks like a 2nd line LW at least. Good shot, physical, decent moves.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:58 PM
mr.reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
For sure, I was pushing more for Roy anyways since he is a C.

I really didn't think mine was that bad.
I was going along the line of
Smith = Miller in value - pretty close anyways
and Rita and a 2nd/3rd = Roy.

It that really so terrible?

Smith is very valuable right now around the league given his incredible year he is having and Rita is still a top 50 prospect. I threw in the 2nd/3rd since Rita value has dropped in the last 2 years, but to me he still looks like a 2nd line LW at least. Good shot, physical, decent moves.

Unfortunately, it is so terrible. It is REALLY overestimating Smith's value to equate him with Ryan Miller. Have you not seen the recent trends around the league? Older players are worth much less the future stars, especially goaltenders with potential, with the upcoming CBA changes the will occur (unless the NHL dies out . . .). Smith could be had for a mid level prospect and a 3rd rd pick. There is also no way buffalo gives up Derek Roy for a lesser prospect and a draft pick - they have trouble hitting draft picks as it is, why would the trade one of the few they have gotten right? Roy isn't going anywhere, unless its part of a package for a serious young star player. He's a leader, gritty and has scoring potential - reminds people here of maybe another peca type with more scoring touch.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
that's just awful....
I agree and I am a Flames fan. I've seen Miller play once live and I must admit the kid impressed me. Gauthier for Miller, that is just rediculous. And until we can get rid of Turek, and with Krahn, Medvedev, etc, waiting in the wings, I just don't know why the Flames would need Miller. They need more scoring. So it doesn't make sense for either team right now.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:55 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.reason
Unfortunately, it is so terrible. It is REALLY overestimating Smith's value to equate him with Ryan Miller. Have you not seen the recent trends around the league? Older players are worth much less the future stars, especially goaltenders with potential, with the upcoming CBA changes the will occur (unless the NHL dies out . . .). Smith could be had for a mid level prospect and a 3rd rd pick. There is also no way buffalo gives up Derek Roy for a lesser prospect and a draft pick - they have trouble hitting draft picks as it is, why would the trade one of the few they have gotten right? Roy isn't going anywhere, unless its part of a package for a serious young star player. He's a leader, gritty and has scoring potential - reminds people here of maybe another peca type with more scoring touch.

Really? I don't see Miller as too much more highly rated that Ahonen, and a Smith Ahonen deal has been tossed around not the past few weeks and is generally thought to be about right.

The Roy for Rita+ thing I can understand. I think Rita is likely going to be a 20-25 goal scorer. I thought that would replace the offense Buffalo lost with Roy.

But sure that deal sucks then cool I am very happy with JDD in our system, Miller was mostly insurance in case JDD didn't pan out, cause you can NEVER tell with goalie prospects. Not even Miller is a sure thing...

Old
02-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Calgary_Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagoner
I agree and I am a Flames fan. I've seen Miller play once live and I must admit the kid impressed me. Gauthier for Miller, that is just rediculous. And until we can get rid of Turek, and with Krahn, Medvedev, etc, waiting in the wings, I just don't know why the Flames would need Miller. They need more scoring. So it doesn't make sense for either team right now.
Ok, well throw out the Toronto idea. I don't even like it now that I look at it again, but the Calgary one...

Gauthier is a stud. He's gonna be cracking heads for years to come and even without the pick, I think you can make a case. Granted, I've never seen Miller play live, and he has been touted highly, but look at his performance in the three games he played this year. Stink! He hasn't proven he can handle pressure consistently yet. Last year, he looked much better behind a crappier Buffalo team. I am just not sure he's going to be the Lehtonen or Ahonen that some are saying he will. Sure, he'll be good and that's what we'd need in Calgary. Buffalo could use another tough young dman. Gauthier would fit in nicely. Biron and Noronen is not such a bad tandum there and they are both youndg.

Turek can be given away for all I care. The guy is mediocre at best. Overrated! Medvedev - don't even get me started on that fat tub 'o lard and Krahn has been hanging around for so long I think that if Calgary can get a pick for him then darn well do it. Calgary needs new, young blood in the goalie spot.

There's my reasoning.

Moe

Old
02-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Ok, well throw out the Toronto idea. I don't even like it now that I look at it again, but the Calgary one...

Gauthier is a stud. He's gonna be cracking heads for years to come and even without the pick, I think you can make a case. Granted, I've never seen Miller play live, and he has been touted highly, but look at his performance in the three games he played this year. Stink! He hasn't proven he can handle pressure consistently yet. Last year, he looked much better behind a crappier Buffalo team. I am just not sure he's going to be the Lehtonen or Ahonen that some are saying he will. Sure, he'll be good and that's what we'd need in Calgary. Buffalo could use another tough young dman. Gauthier would fit in nicely. Biron and Noronen is not such a bad tandum there and they are both youndg.

Turek can be given away for all I care. The guy is mediocre at best. Overrated! Medvedev - don't even get me started on that fat tub 'o lard and Krahn has been hanging around for so long I think that if Calgary can get a pick for him then darn well do it. Calgary needs new, young blood in the goalie spot.

There's my reasoning.

Moe
To summarize, you're a homer, and your offer was no where close to what it would take.

Thankfully prospects careers are dictated by a 3 game stretch. The entire Buffalo team was brutal, and Miller was the guy who payed the price in net.

Miller is still young, and dominated college hockey at an unbelievable level. He's a HUGE asset if BUF wanted to move him, which they don't.

If Buffalo did want to move Miller to add for a play-off push, it would take a lot more than Gauthier (who I really like) to get a deal done. I would think that it would have to involve a major upgrade at forward to get a deal done (Miller & Afiginov for O'Neill & 3rd). Gauthier is a really nice player, but I don't think he's the missing piece for BUF, who already has a Gauthier like player in McKee.

Old
02-23-2004, 03:59 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Los Angeles:Ryan Miller
Buffalo:Tim Gleason,Petr Kanko and Jared Aulin.

Old
02-23-2004, 04:01 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:

There's my reasoning.

Moe
You know you are talking about Gauthier,not Dion Phaneuf.That description fits Phaneuf but not Denis Gauthier.And Gauthier is 27,not exactly young.He's no geezer,but 27 is too close for UFA age for my liking.

Old
02-23-2004, 04:58 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:

Your thought's?
After the ownership got settled, the Sabres said their goal was to make the playoffs this season, right? And at the 3/4 mark, they're very close. Their goaltending looks to be strong well into the future even without Ryan Miller. If they wanted to make a serious run at locking up the final playoff spot in the east, moving Miller or Biron looks like a good way to bring in some immediate help without destroying the team's future. So, my question is, what do the Sabres need most to strengthen their stretch drive, and what, if anything, from the Oilers do you think would fit their needs?

Closed Thread