HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do the Flames need to do to ensure a playoff spot?

View Poll Results: What do Flames need to do to ensure a playoff spot?
Nothing 2 16.67%
Add D 1 8.33%
Add O 8 66.67%
Add D and O 2 16.67%
Play with more desperation 5 41.67%
Other 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Zhackpot

vCash: 500
Flames need to add offence. The Flames management needs to start thinking like a Stanley Cup contender rather than a team fighting for a playoff spot.

Sutter likes the direction of his team. But I've been saying this for months and it is especially proving true against the better teams in the League the Flames need to add more offence. Giving up a piece of the Flames future to try and ensure a playoff spot this year is a gamble that must be taken.

Unfortunately Flames management and most fans seem to think a new CBA will solve their problems. I do not think things will change much with a new CBA as the NHL can ill afford to shut down for a season. ( I believe we will have a compromised solution that won't be much different than now but will not include a salary cap. Don't ask me why I think this, I have no insider information I just think the league can not afford to shut down at this time.) What will help the Flames (and their owner's wallets) is a playoff appearance this season at the expense of a future prospect or draft pick.

Last edited by Zhackpot: 02-23-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old
02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

There are plenty of teams in both the US and in Canada that have basically said they cannot continue unless something changes.

There's no way it stays the same. If it does then probably at least 4 teams would have to fold and the players union would be hurt as at least 72 positions in the NHL would be lost and countless other opportunities would also be lost.

Some other points to consider include that Bettman is looking for some sort of a cap and that the owners have given him veto power. I think 2/3's of the owners are required to overrule him.

Feelings just aren't as solid as the facts.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74

sign theoren fleury

Old
02-23-2004, 02:25 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4097
..for the Blues to fall off of the map already. (or LA, that would work too)

Old
02-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
There are plenty of teams in both the US and in Canada that have basically said they cannot continue unless something changes.

There's no way it stays the same. If it does then probably at least 4 teams would have to fold and the players union would be hurt as at least 72 positions in the NHL would be lost and countless other opportunities would also be lost.

Some other points to consider include that Bettman is looking for some sort of a cap and that the owners have given him veto power. I think 2/3's of the owners are required to overrule him.

Feelings just aren't as solid as the facts.

All I was trying to do was get people to explain why they voted the way they did. I didn't intend for you and others to get off the topic of the thread.

Old
02-23-2004, 03:32 PM
kruezer

Hmmm, I'd like a trade I think, for someone with good D and decent hands, maybe even just a rental (?!?!) I just don't quite trust Kob yet, though he's been better of late, how about a healthy line-up like this?

Saprykin-Conroy-Iginla
Reinprecht-McAmmond-Kobasew (watching this line in its own zone would be tense)
Gelinas-Lombardi-Donovan
Green/Oliwa/Loyns-Yelle-Clark

Leopold-Regehr
Lydman-Ference
Warrener-Gauthier

Kiprusoff
Turek

??
I think that could be half-decent without making any deals. Warrener and Lydman seem to end up playing together in the clutch anyway so they could be thrown onto one pair, though a Gauthier-Ference pair would rarely hit the ice in the 3rd.

Old
02-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
All I was trying to do was get people to explain why they voted the way they did. I didn't intend for you and others to get off the topic of the thread.
Well if you wanted others to stay on that topic perhaps you should have stayed on that topic?

If you post something then people can and may respond to what you post.

Old
02-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX
sign theoren fleury
Not too far off, would love to see it, dunno if it'll happen. Regardless, would help that right side if he could contribute, unsure of how he effective he'd be since he's been out of hockey for awhile now...

Old
02-24-2004, 06:14 AM
ForeignFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz
Not too far off, would love to see it, dunno if it'll happen. Regardless, would help that right side if he could contribute, unsure of how he effective he'd be since he's been out of hockey for awhile now...
The chances of the Flames signing Fleury would have to be less than zero. No way in the world Sutter does it.

Closed Thread