HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jarret Stoll signs with the LA kings 4 year deal

Old
09-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

vCash: 500
It's official. Lakings.com

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
ean

As far as the trade goes...pretty much lateral. Neither Lubo nor Stoll are much to brag about at even strength. If you take away their PP stats Lubo isn't much of a defenseman and Stoll isn't very good at scoring...

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
As far as the trade goes...pretty much lateral. Neither Lubo nor Stoll are much to brag about at even strength. If you take away their PP stats Lubo isn't much of a defenseman and Stoll isn't very good at scoring...
Lubo is a fantastic puck mover at even strength.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
Lubo is a fantastic puck mover at even strength.
He is an above average puck mover, and below average defensively.

Old
09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
You could say that...

Stoll should at least be solid defensively (hopefully), and if he can keep par on the PP and chip in somewhat even strength (he will probably be on a line with frolov, and perhaps Purcell on the other wing) it'll be good. You add in Greene in the mix and it has the potential to be an awesome trade.

I think if Greene doesn't play like a blind crossing guard and Stoll can score 50-60 points, the trade (and Stoll's contract) will be a major success.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
ean

Time will tell...Who knows, 3.5 mill a year may be a good deal for a 30 pt. forward 2 years from now (at this rate, anyways).I honestly think how Greene pans out will be the biggest deciding factor in determining whether or not this was a good trade for us Kings fans...

Old
09-04-2008, 04:49 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Time will tell...Who knows, 3.5 mill a year may be a good deal for a 30 pt. forward 2 years from now (at this rate, anyways).I honestly think how Greene pans out will be the biggest deciding factor in determining whether or not this was a good trade for us Kings fans...
Greene isn't a guy that will perform any different than he has. 3rd line gritty d-man that will scrap when needed. You will also be able to tell who is because he will be the one driving the pickup truck.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Greene isn't a guy that will perform any different than he has. 3rd line gritty d-man that will scrap when needed. You will also be able to tell who is because he will be the one driving the pickup truck.
Well there you have it then-Kings gave up a defenseman who couldn't play D and are getting a defenseman who can't play D...so lateral trade.

Old
09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Well there you have it then-Kings gave up a defenseman who couldn't play D and are getting a defenseman who can't play D...so lateral trade.
Greene can play defense, but he's the slower hulking physical guy not the star player guy. He brings the lunch pail and you will love him.

He's almost a young clone of Jason Smith.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Defgarden

Just a little off-topic, but I love when hockey players are referred to as "lunch-pailers" which understandibly referres to their hard-working style of play, but when the minimum salary of an NHL player is more than the average person will make in 8-10 years, you'd think they all be able to eat out everyday!

I'll go back to eating the granola bars I left in my lunch box.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Quote:
He is an above average puck mover, and below average defensively.
Agreed.

Above average puck distribution
Below average defensive play
Good speed
Good skating ability (illusive when getting checked)
Superb shot speed
Average shot accuracy
Below average strength/toughness

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
No worries. Weeks ago, two guys on the Kings' board with very credible sources informed the rest of us that a deal with Stoll was already in place (the exact same deal as heard yesterday - 14 million, 4 year). Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I think it was Vlasic who had a deal in place recently, yet it took weeks to be officially announced. I'm 99.9999% sure this is the exact deal Stoll has signed and it will be officially announced in due time.

To be perfectly honest, though, I don't think any Kings' fan was too worried about the Stoll signing. We're sweating bullets over O'Sullivan right now. Those same postsers with credible sources have both heard conflicting stories on Sully, but both have heard he's not happy about the lack of a contract and is frustrated that the process is taking so long. The whole situation is unfortunately similar to Cammalleri last offseason.

I wouldn't at all be surprised for O'Sullivan to sign a one year contract and go to arbitration next season. Which basically means we've lost another young, top six forward that AEG/Lombardi doesn't want to pay. The whole thing is very discouraging.
I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Sullivan signed for a long time.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Sullivan signed for a long time.
You mean that as you expect him to be signed long term not unsigned for a lot more time.. correct?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
You mean that as you expect him to be signed long term not unsigned for a lot more time.. correct?

something like that.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Correct.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

stoll is a decent defender the problem is he isn't great. He was going up against the opposing temas top lines and he struggled mightly because of that. He lost his confidence and it showed. Fresh start, he will probably get 60-65 points this year. bank it

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Taser19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
Any confirmation yet?

If true, the deal is better than a few they signed last season.
Then maybe someone need to be fire before anything worst happen. This contract is long and not cheap. What about O'sullivan? If Stoll gets 4y/14m, then O'sullivan deserve what?

Taser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 01:09 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser19 View Post
Then maybe someone need to be fire before anything worst happen. This contract is long and not cheap. What about O'sullivan? If Stoll gets 4y/14m, then O'sullivan deserve what?
less...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:33 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketshockey View Post
Stoll if he's healthy is worth at least $4 million.

A risk taken.
I believe so too....

he's got defensive upside while being a capable player offensively. I think the kings might surprise a lot of us this season... just like the coyotes.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Meichel Kane
Ex-Armond White

Nice deal. I've always liked Stoll.

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
koeltrain

vCash: 922
Quote:
There is very much a risk involved with Lubo too. I think DL felt the same way about Lubo that Lowe felt about Stoll. He had an awful season last year and although his offensive stats aren't bad he played very bad defensively. He's also signed for a year longer than Stoll. I guess when you look at it from a Kings perspective after the fact, we picked up something we needed in a good special teams center and good faceoff guy. We also got rid of a very large contract with a no trade clause that could've left our hands tied had the NTC gone into effect.
There's always risk involved. However, Lubo has been in the Top 5 defencemen in POINTS anyways since the lockout. Yes he had a bit of an off year, but LA constantly being in last place probably didn't help his drive. He had a run in with the coach also (about playing the left side on the PP) and that could have hurt his year from a production standpoint as well. As much as I will miss Stoll (and Greene) I think it was a move that had to be made, most likely for both teams like you say.

Back to the risk topic I would prefer a player with one bad year (41 points as a dman) while being on a last place team (-18) and was VERY successful prior to that year THAN a player with one bad year (36 points as a forward) and was -23 on a middle of the pack team. So would GM's obviously and that's why Greene was included in the package.... but I still think risk wise Lubo is not as risky.

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:12 AM
koeltrain

vCash: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
I believe so too....

he's got defensive upside while being a capable player offensively. I think the kings might surprise a lot of us this season... just like the coyotes.
I think it's important you say upside. In fact, I would say he WAS great defensively until last year after injury. A team worst -23 doesn't instill a lot of confidence from me.

I have to agree that the Kings will be improved, but it may take a year or two before they really get to be a playoff team. The great thing is that most of the talent has been drafted by the Kings, it will just take a little bit of development time. At the same time I believe the Oilers will just be getting a lot better in a couple years time as well... to the great battles ahead

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Last time I spoke with Stoll he is 100% healthy and has been working on fine tuning his hand eye coordination.

He's stayed at a really low body fat % over the offseason and is ready to play.

And to whoever said he is below average defensivly...you've obviously never watched Stoll play.

09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
There's always risk involved. However, Lubo has been in the Top 5 defencemen in POINTS anyways since the lockout. Yes he had a bit of an off year, but LA constantly being in last place probably didn't help his drive. He had a run in with the coach also (about playing the left side on the PP) and that could have hurt his year from a production standpoint as well. As much as I will miss Stoll (and Greene) I think it was a move that had to be made, most likely for both teams like you say.

Back to the risk topic I would prefer a player with one bad year (41 points as a dman) while being on a last place team (-18) and was VERY successful prior to that year THAN a player with one bad year (36 points as a forward) and was -23 on a middle of the pack team. So would GM's obviously and that's why Greene was included in the package.... but I still think risk wise Lubo is not as risky.
I don't want to get into a pissing contest on who is riskier but they both have a lot of risk. Like I said before, Lubo isn't getting any younger and typically players talent escapes them the older they get. Maybe not this season but you have 5 more seasons of him. He's also not the toughest player. He has missed 10+ games 4 of his 7 NHL seasons. Teams know this and you'll see a team like Anaheim go after him all night. And can we put the "Lubo playing on the left side" argument to rest? He put up his best numbers of his career on that side.

I think in the short run, Lubo will be a good acquistion but 3 years down the road I am not so certain he'll be the player he was. And that is the whole point of the trade from the Kings perspective considering his salary and NTC that was about to kick in.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Johnny Utah

The consensus seems to be in most media articles that we overpaid for Stoll. I guess time will tell....it is rough that he gets a 1.2 million dollar raise coming off a bad season. Exactly what happened with Cloutier.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote