HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates too long?

Old
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
ConoR187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Skates too long?

Ive had my Supreme one 100's for almost two years, and I always thought that they were a little too long. My heel fits pretty nicely but I feel my stride could be better if they were a proper length. Ive tried on some friends' pairs and noticed an improvement when they are the proper length.

Any suggestions to fix this? I really dont want to hastle with buying new skates or selling mine, considering I do like them and they are quite expensive. Ive heard about stuffing newspaper in the boots and I will try that, but anything else would help.

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
vapor11

Take the footbed out..place it on the floor and put your foot in it..if it extends past your toes more then a few cm's your skates are too big

I am 5'10" 155lb and wear a 7D skate

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
AIREAYE

There are no ideal solutions, but to take up some negative space, you could try putting some of these in key areas :
http://www.totalhockey.com/product/A...ad/itm/9160-2/
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/elite-sp...e-gel-pad.html

You should probably look to see if you can sell your current skates and get properly fitted for new ones.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:50 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
The solution to that is pretty easy: Buy the right size when you get your next pair of skates. Don't guess at the size, get properly fitted. Other than that, there's no way to fix it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:06 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
The solution to that is pretty easy: Buy the right size when you get your next pair of skates. Don't guess at the size, get properly fitted. Other than that, there's no way to fix it.
this, and your skates should be at least one size smaller than your shoes, may two sizes. But it is best to get properly sized.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:34 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
this, and your skates should be at least one size smaller than your shoes, may two sizes. But it is best to get properly sized.
Not necessarily.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
Ive had my Supreme one 100's for almost two years, and I always thought that they were a little too long. My heel fits pretty nicely but I feel my stride could be better if they were a proper length. Ive tried on some friends' pairs and noticed an improvement when they are the proper length.

Any suggestions to fix this? I really dont want to hastle with buying new skates or selling mine, considering I do like them and they are quite expensive. Ive heard about stuffing newspaper in the boots and I will try that, but anything else would help.
I wore skates that were too long for years (late 80's & early 90's) in competitive hockey without realizing that I just needed wider & deeper skates, not longer AND wider. Supreme's may not fit your foot properly either. Buying too large of a skate often happens when someone gets a bigger size to accommodate a tight area (for example if you have a wide heel, you'll need a bigger skate in a narrow heel brand of skate to feel good. In that case you should find a skate brand/model which has a wider heel fit).

The sooner you can get properly sized skates the better. Blade profile is important for optimal performance as well.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote