HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Bisons-Indians Affiliation Finished - Let's Go Mets!

Old
09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
OT: Bisons-Indians Affiliation Finished - Let's Go Mets!

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/429602.html
Quote:
What’s been assumed all season became official Tuesday as the Cleveland Indians informed Major League Baseball they are terminating their Triple-A working agreement with the Buffalo Bisons after 14 years.
===========================================
The Indians are expected to move their Triple-A operation for next season to new Huntington Park in Columbus, Ohio. The Bisons, meanwhile, are expected to sign with either Toronto or the New York Mets.
Can't blame the Indians for wanting to have their AAA team closer, but I'll delighted if the Bisons affiliate with the Jays or Mets.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:13 PM
MayDay

vCash: 500
I hope it's the Mets. That'd be awesome.

My wife is a HUGE Mets fan, grew up on Long Island. Since I didn't have any strong loyalties to any MLB team, she converted me to a Mets fan.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

My wife is a HUGE Mets fan, grew up on Long Island. Since I didn't have any strong loyalties to any MLB team, she converted me to a Mets fan.
I've been a Mets fan for longer than I care to admit. Let's just say I'm still mad they traded Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi. I could never get interested in the Indians or the Pirates, their former parent club. Maybe they'd show more Mets games here too instead of those damn Yankees! The Jays would make good financial sense and they're the only team I follow besides the Mets. After 3 straight years of missing the playoffs, I'm sick of Cleveland.

Old
09-03-2008, 11:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I know Cleveland wanted to set up in Columbus so that they could fill programming on their Ohio Sports TV station that would attract Ohio viewers, so it makes financial sense on that front, too.

Where are the Mets and Blue Jays current AAA teams?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Vito_81

Jays AAA team is currently Syracuse. And I believe the Mets AAA team is down in New Orleans

Jays/Bison's makes a lot of sense. We're sharing a football team, there are rumblings abour pre season Raptors games in Buffalo, we might as well continue the trend.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 12:30 AM
sabrefan27

The Jays would be terrible. They've put miserable teams in Syracuse for years. I think 1998 was the last time they made the playoffs.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
The Jays would be terrible. They've put miserable teams in Syracuse for years. I think 1998 was the last time they made the playoffs.
It looks like the Mets are leaning towards Syracuse and the Bisons are leaning towards the Jays.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...nd_buffal.html
Quote:
The Cleveland Indians recently severed their ties with the Buffalo Bisons, and sources say Buffalo is leaning toward signing with the Blue Jays.
==============================================
In their 31-year partnership with Toronto, the Chiefs have had 23 losing seasons and only five playoff appearances without winning an International League championship.

Chiefs' board members have said that the Mets, who have a better track record of fielding winning teams in Triple-A, are their top choice as a replacement for the Blue Jays.
The Washington Nationals are also seeking an affiliate. We'll have an empty ballpark of the Jays don't provide a decent team. I can't believe Syracuse tolerated them for so long.

Old
09-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
As a closet Jays fan, I'm not keen on them having their affiliate here. They're not interested in fielding winning AAA teams -- hell, they don't seem all that capable of fielding a winning ML team either, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

09-04-2008, 08:27 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
The Washington Nationals are also seeking an affiliate. We'll have an empty ballpark of the Jays don't provide a decent team. I can't believe Syracuse tolerated them for so long.
I'm not a big baseball guy, but as a Syracuse resident I'm elated to be rid of the Jays. Hoping the Mets land here in Syracuse since I'm a Mets fan.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Digable5

I think geographically, the Mets-Syracuse and Jays-Buffalo combinations make the most sense. Both markets could best capitalize on the additional fan base for the parent club. That being said, I hope for the Bisons sake they don't get Toronto. Although it could be worse, the Nationals.

I live in DC and would admire the DC-Buffalo connection like myself, but I fear this would not be healthy for the Bisons organization. The Nationals are deperate for good young talent and chose not to sign their top pick from this years draft.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
As a closet Jays fan, I'm not keen on them having their affiliate here. They're not interested in fielding winning AAA teams -- hell, they don't seem all that capable of fielding a winning ML team either, so it shouldn't be a surprise.
They've had winning records the past few seasons a trend that will certainly continue.. Unfortunately in baseball only 4 teams make the playoffs so obviously its very difficult to make them. Not to mention the Jays are stuck in the toughest division in baseball, and that's before Tampa Bay became a good team like they have this season.

As for AAA, the Jays have a few good prospects coming up through the pipeline. They're definitely in better shape than they were in past years and they'll continue to be. Also for what it's worth the Sky Chiefs (Jays AAA) have a better record than both the Bisons and the Zephyrs (Mets AAA).

Things currently aren't as bad as you make them seem for the Jays in the MLB or in AAA.

Old
09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Ghills23

My brother my dad and I are all big Red Sox fans but i've always supported my hometown teams and I've always considered the Indians our ML home team and I paid close attention to the Bisons throughout the years and watched players like Sizemore, Peralta, Martinez, Cabrera, Francisco, and Marte just to name a few come up the Bisons organization and really blossom into the major league players they are today. Those players that came threw here converted me not totally but I now support the Sox and Indians now and its sad to see these two great partners seperate after so many years and the Cleveland Indians organization did a superb job with their AAA affiliate for all those years. I just hope who ever ends up with the Bisons as their affliate does as good as a job the Indians did with us although we haven't been to the playoffs in a few years its mainly due to the fact that all the aforementioned players moved up to Cleveland and put a winning product on the field.

On a little side note Cliff Lee, now the Tribes ace after the CC Sabathia trade, is now 20-2 and most likely on his way to an AL Cy Young award was sent down to the Bisons late last season I watched the guy pitch and was amazed at his stuff even though he was facing minor leaguers its still amazing at what a year makes.

Last edited by Ghills23: 09-04-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

there are a few obstacles in the way. you didn't hear any of this from me, but although the mets are clearly the preferred team to work with, they want to get partial ownership of the team and rich is NOT keen on that at all. but the office doesn't want to get with the blue jays because the team would be nowhere near as good as it has been with cleveland.

also, the indians pulled out because the state is giving them a ton of money to bring their AAA team to columbus, and they are building or already built a brand new stadium for them there. i believe they are also going to get more revenue from concessions or something if they relocate there. basically the indians weren't looking to leave buffalo but the state of ohio made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
7 games above .500, third consecutive winning season. Give the Jays some respect.

And one thing you all should know. JP Ricciardi who is the GM of the Jays has been notorious for bad drafting and minor league dealing, and it's very likely he'll be fired in the off season, or at least within the year.

And in the past two weeks the Jays traded for two minor league pitchers, so there is still hope.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
7 games above .500, third consecutive winning season. Give the Jays some respect.

And one thing you all should know. JP Ricciardi who is the GM of the Jays has been notorious for bad drafting and minor league dealing, and it's very likely he'll be fired in the off season, or at least within the year.

And in the past two weeks the Jays traded for two minor league pitchers, so there is still hope.
Most important number -- 9. That's the number of games the Jays are behind the Red Sox for the wildcard. Last year it was 11. The year prior... 8.

Yep, third year where JP can't close the deal and make up for team deficiancies to push them into the playoffs. The years he's had bats, he's had no arms. Now that they're getting the pitching, they can't hit. Meh. For being a supposed draft-n-develop wunderkind when he was brought in, there's damn little to show for it. Having just enough wins to keep Ted's investment partially full and on Ted TV, err Sportsnet... good for Ted. '94 killed me regarding baseball and I've never really been back -- they have to show me their interested in actually making the post-season for the first time in 14 years before they're going to get more than a cursory glance or insomnia-induced research.

As for the Jays... the only powerhouse they've ever had in the minors was the AA team in Knoxville. And that was a Gillick thing, more than anyone else.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Most important number -- 9. That's the number of games the Jays are behind the Red Sox for the wildcard. Last year it was 11. The year prior... 8.

Yep, third year where JP can't close the deal and make up for team deficiancies to push them into the playoffs. The years he's had bats, he's had no arms. Now that they're getting the pitching, they can't hit. Meh. For being a supposed draft-n-develop wunderkind when he was brought in, there's damn little to show for it. Having just enough wins to keep Ted's investment partially full and on Ted TV, err Sportsnet... good for Ted. '94 killed me regarding baseball and I've never really been back -- they have to show me their interested in actually making the post-season for the first time in 14 years before they're going to get more than a cursory glance or insomnia-induced research.

As for the Jays... the only powerhouse they've ever had in the minors was the AA team in Knoxville. And that was a Gillick thing, more than anyone else.
The AA team is in Manchester(the owner actually owns the Lowell franchise as well) and has been for a few years

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Right - the last time they consistently had a good minor pro franchise was over 15 years ago. That was my point.

Old
09-05-2008, 03:17 PM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

gaf is a big Mets fan as well. So is my brother. So that would be pretty cool.

I'm a minor Jays fan (inasmuch as I don't really follow baseball all that closely anymore), so I guess either way one of us will be happy.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Looks like it'll be the Mets!
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/440114.html
Quote:
The Mets are leaving New Orleans and the New York Daily News is reporting they expect to sign a deal with the Bisons later this week that will be announced in a news conference here next Monday. Sources confirm to The Buffalo News the Mets are the Bisons' top choice although the team denied that Monday.
Sounds like the Mets won't chose the Chiefs unless there's a change in the ownership/management situation.

Old
09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Looks like it'll be the Mets!
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/440114.html

Sounds like the Mets won't chose the Chiefs unless there's a change in the ownership/management situation.
Not a Mets fan (even if I had a Mets hat when I was 8), but a much better affiliation choice than the Jays.

Old
09-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Not a Mets fan (even if I had a Mets hat when I was 8), but a much better affiliation choice than the Jays.

Awwww.

Jays would have been sweet.

Old
09-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post

Awwww.

Jays would have been sweet.
Why? So that the regulars who come to Bisons' games would see a crappy product all season? Or for those odd few GTA Jay fans would make the trip to see them? The suck-i-ness of the day-to-day product would not make up for the occassional Hogtown trekker.

Old
09-16-2008, 06:32 AM
jpb

Quote:
Things in Syracuse are generally messed up for sports teams if they don't belong to the University. The county legislature won't approve funds for new scoreboards (desperately needed) for the ball park, nor for the Crunch at the war memorial.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Meichel Kane
Ex-Armond White

TGI-not-the-Blue-Jays.

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
TGI-not-the-Blue-Jays.

Agreed. I'm not a Mets fan so lets hope Santana has to make rehab starts in Buffalo next year!!!

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote