HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marchant to the Leafs

Old
09-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Haddock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
Check out ***********.com they are stating that Cliff might be talking to Anaheim for Marchant. Apparently the deal is White and Newbury. I don't understand this deal seeing as how White and Newbury are young, cheap and don't need to be moved. Marchant is over as a goal scorer and is mainly a checker now, which the Leafs have in abundance.
No. No I won't.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Cappo40*

If the Leafs are TRULY in a rebuilding mode/stage, this would be one of the last trades they should really ever do, Especially, in my opinion, for two youngsters with a fair bit of Potential in White and Newbury...

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Mabye Cliff wants to land Schneider too, so then they can have 12 defensmen signed for next year. Chicago is where Cliff should be looking to trade with , there or Atlanta. Colby and Christensen are available in Atlanta, and in Chicago Lang and Havlat. Do something productive Cliff land some offense.
The Thrashers just traded for Armstrong and Christensen, so why would they want to get rid of them? Havlat will be lucky if he plays 65 games this year, and Lang is aging faster than the milk in my refridgerator.

None of those acquisitions would make a lick of sense for a team that needs to rebuild.

Quote:
If the Leafs are TRULY in a rebuilding mode/stage, this would be one of the last trades they should really ever do,
The Leafs are in a rebuild. Cliff Fletcher is not.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Shoalzie

Are the Leafs going to skate four checking lines or something?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Since Marchant is a Buffalo native moving to Toronto wouldn't be too bad for him. But this is hockeyleak afterall.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
dougy

A pick has to be coming back with Marchant to make this deal work. If that is the case I can definitely see it happening

dougy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Airborne Troll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Are the Leafs going to skate four checking lines or something?

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Its still a ~1.5 mill savings over marchant, which is important when you guys start to sign Selanne...
But not as important as ~2.5 Million in savings would be. So, no money back plz kthxbai.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahahahahhaha View Post
But not as important as ~2.5 Million in savings would be. So, no money back plz kthxbai.
Well, you're not going to get draft picks back for Marchant so what else is there?
This is how I see it, 1 million > 2.5 million. If you don't like it your only other option is buy-out.

I like this deal for TO if theres a 2nd coming back, if not, White is worth keeping.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
If Burke was gonna give him out for free, and a team was interested, whats the holdup then?

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:44 PM
teddygmr

of course , CURRENT Anaheim GM Brian Burke could send Marchant. a young prospect (Logan McMillan?) and ANAHEIM's first round pick in 2009 to Leafs for pending UFA's Antropov and Ponikarovsky.
Who knows>?
Burke could b e the GM making the Leafs picks next June....

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
of course , CURRENT Anaheim GM Brian Burke could send Marchant. a young prospect (Logan McMillan?) and ANAHEIM's first round pick in 2009 to Leafs for pending UFA's Antropov and Ponikarovsky.
Who knows>?
Burke could b e the GM making the Leafs picks next June....
Only Antropov is a UFA, and I doubt they'd make that deal

Old
09-05-2008, 12:22 AM
TOML

Yeah Marchant is done as a force. So... Why not?

I don't get Fletch.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Marchant has decent speed as is currently a third to fourth line center, why would the Leafs need another checking center????
Because brings character, a competitive attitude, leadership and does all the small things that the young players can learn from.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Only Antropov is a UFA, and I doubt they'd make that deal
If Burke was going to be the GM of the Maple Leafs next year, he wouldn't care. The whole point of the trade would be to set his team up for next year.

But there's no way he does that because that further damages his weak reputation in the NHL community and would show a complete lack of class.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If Burke was going to be the GM of the Maple Leafs next year, he wouldn't care. The whole point of the trade would be to set his team up for next year.

But there's no way he does that because that further damages his weak reputation in the NHL community and would show a complete lack of class.
I meant Toronto wouldn't do that deal

Antropov + Poni > late 1st + McMillan + Marchant (Salary dump 2.5 mill)

Old
09-05-2008, 10:09 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
I would really like to see Colorado pick up Marchant. They have the cap space for him and they have been terrible at face-offs for the last couple of seasons. He would probably be a good fit on a line with Tucker as well. But I guess with Arnason as our 3rd line center the last 2 years Giguere has proved he doesn't think we need a defensive center on our 3rd line.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
T-bone would waive his clause to move to Toronto I have no doubt in my mind. His family lives in Buffalo.

He's a terrific player. He can play any position, fore-checks way beyond what his size should allow, wins a lot of face-offs, is a key PKer, a leader and a hard working SOB. The only thing he doesn't do is score a lot but last I checked the Leaf's had a harder time keeping to puck out of their net rather than scoring goals themselves. Toronto may have a lot of checkers and grinders but Marchy is better than all of them.
good point.

the way he is underated reminds me of Madden ... not saying marchant is as good as Madden but both players have a higher value than what the fans in general give them credit for.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Realm

Quote:
How any Ducks fan could complain about this deal is even funnier than the proposal itself!

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
That's about ~1 Million too much.
I'm not sure if your aware of this or not but these guys are paid to play hockey. They actually make a career of this believe it or not.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Not that Marchant is a bad player or anything but if Fletcher did that and I was a Leafs fan I'd go get my pitchfork.
I wouldn't, since I think Ian White's a pathetic excuse for a defenseman, but even so I'd be upset. This rumour makes zero sense whatsoever.

Verbal Kint* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I'm not sure if your aware of this or not but these guys are paid to play hockey. They actually make a career of this believe it or not.
Mmhmm.

It's not a criticism of how much those players make. Dropping $1.5M in salary and adding contracts does nothing to help the team right now. See?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:38 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHENNsational View Post
was talking to my cousin on MSN who says he's heard of something along these lines in OC a little while back, he said he heard it from a friend of a friend of Curtis Zupke who ever that may be
Zupke is the backup hockey (and mixed sports) writer for the Orange County newspaper. He's probably the least reputable of the Ducks' writers, but he's still better than say a Garrioch. The fact that someone even mentions his name is interesting, as it's not like he's famous anywhere or anything. On the other hand, Zupke also wrote a Ducks news blog thing with Eklund as a source...

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote