HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago Wolves Sign Jeff Hamilton

Old
09-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
on hockeybuzz.com

good old Eklund is saying Hamilton is not signed,hah

what a dude
Hamilton's a UFA. Any NHL team can sign him, including the ones Eklund listed.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Vitto79

Who is the Wolves minor league team?.........if he signed a AHL deal is that not a chance to make the NHL team

so to me that is a signed player

who the hell signs in the AHL then NHL?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Who is the Wolves minor league team?.........if he signed a AHL deal is that not a chance to make the NHL team

To make the team he needs an NHL contract.

Old
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Hamilton's a UFA. Any NHL team can sign him, including the ones Eklund listed.
No, he isn't. He is now property of the Thrashers' organization, since the Wolves are their AHL affiliate. No other NHL team can sign him now.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 04:55 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
No, he isn't. He is now property of the Thrashers' organization, since the Wolves are their AHL affiliate. No other NHL team can sign him now.
Ugh, no.

He is an unrestricted free agent still. The Thrashers have no rights to this player at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79

I'm pretty sure Bruno St. Jacques did it last season. He signed with Anaheim whilst playing for Syracuse, having signed with them that season.

I think there was a minor league trade in there as well, but he still did it.

Last edited by clefty: 09-05-2008 at 05:08 PM.
clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Seachd

Quote:
No, he didn't sign with the Thrashers, he signed with the Wolves. It doesn't even matter if the NHL team and AHL team have the same owners - they're different organizations.

Clefty mentioned one player, but this happens all the time. Think about it - how would an NHL team ever be able to sign an AHL player outside of the offseason if their NHL rights were all owned? It couldn't happen.

Old
09-05-2008, 05:44 PM
StormCast

Quote:
No, he didn't sign with the Thrashers, he signed with the Wolves. It doesn't even matter if the NHL team and AHL team have the same owners - they're different organizations.
Yes, you're correct. I was under the impression he'd signed with Atlanta to an AHL SPC with Chicago.

Old
09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Yes, you're correct. I was under the impression he'd signed with Atlanta to an AHL SPC with Chicago.
I don't even know if such a thing really exists. I'm not sure in a case like Hamilton's if he signed with Chicago independently, or was "persuaded" by Atlanta.

But even if NHL teams can technically sign players to AHL deals, as far as I know it doesn't change that fact that he would need an NHL contract to be called up, and so I don't see how he'd be considered part of the organization.

Old
09-05-2008, 06:41 PM
StormCast

Quote:
But even if NHL teams can technically sign players to AHL deals, as far as I know it doesn't change that fact that he would need an NHL contract to be called up, and so I don't see how he'd be considered part of the organization.
It's a bit of a misnomer but essentially the parent club has the player sign for depth purposes with their AHL affiliate because there is more roster flexibility in the minors. The player comes to camp but it's really a foregone conclusion they will be in the AHL.

Yes, they need an NHL contract to be called up but it's just procedural as the NHL teams essentially holds the AHL player's rights in those cases. As such the player would be considered to be in the system.