HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason rants II (post your rants here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Builditagain*

vCash: 500
Offseason rants II (post your rants here)

If the 3RFA`s aren`t signed by the breakfast,I`m done ,refusing my season tickets and sending them back.I will buy the Center ice package instead. Over and out.

Old
09-02-2008, 07:41 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Yo mommaween!
Thank-you, thank you very much. I'll be appearing LIVE in Las Vegas starting in just 3-weeks. And remember, the karaoke at the Hawaiian Market Place is the only karaoke "on the strip".

Lock it down boys. We've exceeded our limit!!!

Old
09-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
One thousand and three!

Old
09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I don't want to read through this thread. Somebody summarize the last 40 pages please.

Old
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I don't want to read through this thread. Somebody summarize the last 40 pages please.
"Lombardi sucks!"

"No, he doesn't!"

Old
09-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Blah, blah, blah! Or maybe like this..

RFA's unsigned blah blah blah! Relax blah blah blah! Apologists blah blah blah! No UFA's signed blah blah blah! Somebody does a bunch of research to have it completely disregarded blah blah! The Kings suck blah blah blah! no longer a season ticket holder blah blah blah! start a new thread and then it gets merged blah blah blah!

Old
09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
"Lombardi sucks!"

"No, he doesn't!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post

RFA's unsigned blah blah blah! Relax blah blah blah! Apologists blah blah blah! No UFA's signed blah blah blah! Somebody does a bunch of research to have it completely disregarded blah blah! The Kings suck blah blah blah! no longer a season ticket holder blah blah blah! start a new thread and then it gets merged blah blah blah!
Yo Mommaween and Vegas!

Old
09-02-2008, 10:53 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
"Lombardi sucks!"

"No, he doesn't!"
You can delete the previous 1K posts, excellent summary.

Old
09-02-2008, 11:05 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post

Very good summary. It's been our favorite thread all summer long. Designed to fail and it lives. Like the "totally fricken positive" thread, except it died 2 horrible deaths. We live for conflict. Just shows "Relax" is not an answer to an argument. Neither is "Dumbardi". I like, "Something is happening here and you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones".

Old
09-02-2008, 11:26 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Very good summary. It's been our favorite thread all summer long. Designed to fail and it lives. Like the "totally fricken positive" thread, except it died 2 horrible deaths. We live for conflict. Just shows "Relax" is not an answer to an argument. Neither is "Dumbardi". I like, "Something is happening here and you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones".
I love me some Dumbardi.

Old
09-02-2008, 11:52 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i think it's fair to posit the idea that several deals with several teams including the Kings are hanging on Mats Sundin's eventual decision.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Soon as he decides an avalanche of movement will ensue in the following 48 hours. Pity really.

Old
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
yankeeking

How about " somethings happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"....

Old
09-03-2008, 12:38 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Nice!!!

Old
09-03-2008, 12:42 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
How about " somethings happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"....
Start's when you're always afraid....

Old
09-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Soon as he decides an avalanche of movement will ensue in the following 48 hours. Pity really.
There is a problem with that strategy though. Many experts have said that Sundin may not make his decision before the season starts. Unfortunately Lombardi cannot wait that long. He must add $10 million or more in salary in the next 4 weeks. Regardless of the decisions that Sundin makes.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:03 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
There is a problem with that strategy though. Many experts have said that Sundin may not make his decision before the season starts. Unfortunately Lombardi cannot wait that long. He must add $10 million or more in salary in the next 4 weeks. Regardless of the decisions that Sundin makes.

you're absolutely right. personally, even though Lombardi is in the wonkiest position to certain degree, i think teams who are essentially hanging their playoff hopes or whatever else hopes for that matter (like whatever the ******* it is the Mike Gillis is doing) on having any or several personnel decisions hinging on a guy or getting the guy who hasn't won jack in his entire career regardless of his future 1st ballot Hall Of Fame status, is equally stupid.

if Burke has both Montreal and Los Angeles in vying for Mathieu Schneider and he prefers he go to the Eastern Conference, and Montreal is still theoretically in play for Sundin, what happens... particularly if the deal in place with the Canadiens yields Burke a bit better of a return?

a little birdie did tell me that Montreal does have a plan B in place, and may act soon.

eventually someone is going to have to shoot first... hopefully it'll be Greedo.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:10 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't think it's a strategy by anyone, it's simple trickle down, ripples in the pond stuff. I doubt Lombardi wants to have to wait for Sundin, but my guess is that if you were to call several teams looking for a deal they would tell you to wait. If there is any 'strategy' on DL's part, I would imagine its that he wants specific players from over the cap teams or teams hoping to land Sundin, but they aren't willing to deal until Sundin decides. Sucks for sure, but its not by Lombardi's choosing. There are surely other options out there that Sundin has no bearing on, but they might not be the best options. Its a gamble playing the waiting game, but it could pay off bigger.

For example, Sundin wants to sign with the Flyers (random, not here to debate who he will sign with), suddenly the Flyers need to dump A LOT of salary, meaning better players are available, and they need to do it quick. Until Sundin decides, they won't want to do much of anything since their situations will be vastly different if he decides to sign with the Flyers or whatever team.

It could even go further, like say DL wants someone on the Blues, who want someone from Vancouver before they are willing to deal the player DL wants, but Vancouver won't deal with St. Louis until Sundin decides. Total random hypotheticals, but I think it's certainly fair to assume like wabwat said that his decision is clogging up much of the league in terms of player movement. Whether or not this has any direct or indirect on Lombardi is unknown, and whether DL should adjust his plans if Sundin is stuffing up the works is debatable, but only if we had some idea of what it was exactly that DL wanted to gain from waiting Sundin out.

I would say that if there is not a specific player or two DL is targeting (which he usually is), then it would be very poor judgement on his part to let the Sundin saga affect him at all. However if there is a player to be had that he thinks fits the team and our salary structure properly, then it might well be worth waiting as long as possible (obviously not if it bleeds into the season) to get the best deal around.

Either way, many of the over the cap teams will either wait until Sundin falls or until the last few days before the season if he doesn't decide by then to readjust their teams and payrolls, so either way I think it's worth waiting as long as possible because who knows what will happen when Sundin decides, but it's pretty absolute to me that something will happen and more options will be open to DL as a result.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:13 AM
wabwat

and with that...

LOLBarbera!!!!

the end.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I don't think it's a strategy by anyone, it's simple trickle down, ripples in the pond stuff. I doubt Lombardi wants to have to wait for Sundin, but my guess is that if you were to call several teams looking for a deal they would tell you to wait. If there is any 'strategy' on DL's part, I would imagine its that he wants specific players from over the cap teams or teams hoping to land Sundin, but they aren't willing to deal until Sundin decides. Sucks for sure, but its not by Lombardi's choosing. There are surely other options out there that Sundin has no bearing on, but they might not be the best options. Its a gamble playing the waiting game, but it could pay off bigger.
But....like I said earlier....if Sundin does not make his decision until after the season has already begun then Dean will be left waiting for nothing. Because the league will not accept "I am still waiting on the Sundin decision" as an excuse for why the Kings are under the salary floor in October.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
But....like I said earlier....if Sundin does not make his decision until after the season has already begun then Dean will be left waiting for nothing. Because the league will not accept "I am still waiting on the Sundin decision" as an excuse for why the Kings are under the salary floor in October.
You must've missed the part where I said

Quote:
then it might well be worth waiting as long as possible (obviously not if it bleeds into the season)
Pretty much any team waiting for Sundin has to do something in the final few days before the season if Sundin hasn't decided by them.

If Dean's option are loosely:

- Wait for Sundin to fall so I can grab player x or y

versus

- Sign some UFA's or make a few minor trades that are always to be found somewhere in the league

What's the harm in waiting until the 11th hour? Basically he can do anything that doesn't involve Sundin in any way now or 2 days before the season starts. If there was a good deal on the table right now, he'd probably take it. If he could go out and get the guy he wanted right now, then he probably would have already.

If I can think of a decent analogy it would something like deciding what college to go to. Say College A has accepted you and needs your answer by date X. But you'd rather go to College B, who hasn't made a decision about you yet and may or may not give you a decision by date X. Do you just go ahead and go with College A a month before date X, or do you wait until a day before date X? In a scenario like this, which I see quite akin to DL's possible situation (since we don't really know jack about what his intentions are), what's the harm in waiting as long as possible?

Waiting as long as you possibly can does not mean waiting too long and missing the boat completely.

Old
09-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
You must've missed the part where I said

Pretty much any team waiting for Sundin has to do something in the final few days before the season if Sundin hasn't decided by them.

If Dean's option are loosely:

- Wait for Sundin to fall so I can grab player x or y

versus

- Sign some UFA's or make a few minor trades that are always to be found somewhere in the league

What's the harm in waiting until the 11th hour? Basically he can do anything that doesn't involve Sundin in any way now or 2 days before the season starts. If there was a good deal on the table right now, he'd probably take it. If he could go out and get the guy he wanted right now, then he probably would have already.

If I can think of a decent analogy it would something like deciding what college to go to. Say College A has accepted you and needs your answer by date X. But you'd rather go to College B, who hasn't made a decision about you yet and may or may not give you a decision by date X. Do you just go ahead and go with College A a month before date X, or do you wait until a day before date X? In a scenario like this, which I see quite akin to DL's possible situation (since we don't really know jack about what his intentions are), what's the harm in waiting as long as possible?

Waiting as long as you possibly can does not mean waiting too long and missing the boat completely.
I understand what you are saying. But I disagree that there will be a bunch of trade options open the day before the season starts. I am positive most of the GM's are not waiting for other GM's to call them during the 11th hour to inquire about trading for one of their players. The other GM's will probably have their season opening roster set at least 3 or 4 days before the season begins. If Dean wants any player after these GM's have "made up their mind" he will probably have to overpay for it. That is why waiting does have a downside.

Maybe I just do not see how waiting to get other teams flunkies is a commendable strategy for starting this season. If Taylor was pulling this crap most of the Dean defenders would be screaming "Dumpster Diving Dave". Yet Lombardi is being strategic. How can the same action be viewed in two different ways depending on who is at the helm?

Old
09-03-2008, 02:04 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. But I disagree that there will be a bunch of trade options open the day before the season starts. I am positive most of the GM's are not waiting for other GM's to call them during the 11th hour to inquire about trading for one of their players. The other GM's will probably have their season opening roster set at least 3 or 4 days before the season begins. If Dean wants any player after these GM's have "made up their mind" he will probably have to overpay for it. That is why waiting does have a downside.

Maybe I just do not see how waiting to get other teams flunkies is a commendable strategy for starting this season. If Taylor was pulling this crap most of the Dean defenders would be screaming "Dumpster Diving Dave". Yet Lombardi is being strategic. How can the same action be viewed in two different ways depending on who is at the helm?
I'm not defending DL here because I don't know whether what we're talking about has any bearing on what he's doing or not. I do think though that because there are supposedly 3-5 teams in the hunt for Sundin, that can easily effect half the league. I don't know. My point was really only that its better to wait if that could get you the better player. Like I said with the Flyers, if a team needs to clear cap space for Sundin, they will be forced to trade a higher paid, and thus most likely (but not for sure) better player because they'd have to dump more salary than if they were not going to get him. I don't want other teams garbage. I don't think he's waiting for other teams flunkies... the flunkies are available now.

The Sundin situation is kind of unique, but not without some precedent. If there's a player on a team who isn't valued by that team, they would be shopping him regardless of whether or not they were in the Sundin saga. But if you are going to get a player like Sundin, all of a sudden more valuable players become possible trade candidates.

To use a non-Sundin related but similar example, a player like Schneider is not a flunkie or the Duck's garbage and is valuable to the team. If Selanne didn't want to return, Burke probably wouldn't want to get rid of him. However if Selanne does want to return, then he's gotta do something. Khabibulin is the same, not garbage, but expendable given the right circumstances. To use the Flyers again in relation to Sundin, only need to clear not too much more than a million bucks to get under the cap. They aren't going to want to part with Upshall or Knuble or Carter. But if Sundin were to go there they would need to shed something like 6-8 mill, depending. All of a sudden a guy like Carter becomes expendable and needs to be moved, and because the Flyer's are kind of handcuffed, then he could be had for cheap or at most, fair value.

With that said, I hope DL doesn't want to trade for Carter, that's just an example of the type of situation I'm talking about.

I think we mostly agree on this but are just talking about slightly different issues.

Old
09-03-2008, 03:04 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Wabwat, I'm curious.

Without exposing your sources, obviously, what are the two conflicting stories you've heard about O'Sullivan?

Old
09-03-2008, 03:17 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
Wabwat, I'm curious.

Without exposing your sources, obviously, what are the two conflicting stories you've heard about O'Sullivan?

Wabwat,

As a person who is very protective of his own sources, I understand that you might not be able to say much, but of what I know, Sully is pissed that nothing much is going on, even though the ball was left in the Kings court and that there was no contact for over two weeks. That info is at least four to five days old, so maybe something new occured????

Old
09-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I think we mostly agree on this but are just talking about slightly different issues.
Agreed....my main point is that Dean needs to get the ball rolling one way or the other. He cannot put all of his effort into waiting for Sundin to decide. Because if Sundin does not then other options that might be available today may pass him by tomorrow. That is why I feel Dean needs to worry about players that are currently available.....not ones that might be available if conditions A, B and C are met. Waiting for that type pf a situation will probably end up in disappointment.

Closed Thread