HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blade Lie Help

Old
09-06-2008, 04:13 AM
mbeam

vCash: 500
Blade Lie Help

I just recently bought the Warrior Syko Grip Sr. stick with a draper blade.
My last stick had been a Bauer team canada one peice with a Lindros blade.

The draper blade has abit more of a curve than the lindros but the main difference is that the bottom of the toe flips up ( i don't know the correct terminology for this) whereas the lindros is just flat.

I had never tried this type of blade before and I felt like giving it a shot (no pun intended). I'm finding that the extra curve is giving me a bit more control stick handling in traffic but my shots are not hitting the mark. Sometimes I'm fanning, and sometimes they are just plain high. I realize this is because of the little toe flip that the draper blade has. I've only used the stick for a few games and haven't had much time to practice with it so I know that it will get more comfortable. My only concern is if this blade will even suit me at all being that my main shot is a wrist shot and I'm told that this kind of blade is more geared towards snap shots.

Any tips, advice, or commentary would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Blueshirt24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
I just recently bought the Warrior Syko Grip Sr. stick with a draper blade.
My last stick had been a Bauer team canada one peice with a Lindros blade.

The draper blade has abit more of a curve than the lindros but the main difference is that the bottom of the toe flips up ( i don't know the correct terminology for this) whereas the lindros is just flat.

I had never tried this type of blade before and I felt like giving it a shot (no pun intended). I'm finding that the extra curve is giving me a bit more control stick handling in traffic but my shots are not hitting the mark. Sometimes I'm fanning, and sometimes they are just plain high. I realize this is because of the little toe flip that the draper blade has. I've only used the stick for a few games and haven't had much time to practice with it so I know that it will get more comfortable. My only concern is if this blade will even suit me at all being that my main shot is a wrist shot and I'm told that this kind of blade is more geared towards snap shots.

Any tips, advice, or commentary would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I had a problem at one point when I picked up a Malkin curve that was supposedly geared more towards players who take a lot of slap shots. My main shots are definitely my wrist and snapper, but I can't imagine a player who prefers a wrist shot having problems with a curve that is good for snap-shots; the two are my bread and butter and I switch between them without thinking when I'm on the ice, so I just don't see that particular detail being the problem. For me, part of the problem was definitely that the Malkin stick had a lie of 5 and the stick I was used to had a lie of 6. The curve was different, but I've switched curves many times and not had a problem adjusting in the past; I assume the change in lie was about 80% of my problem. The first thing you should do is look up what like the Lindros is (6, I believe) and then look up what lie the Draper is (my instincts say it's a 6 as well). If they are different you might have a really hard time adjusting; if they are the same you probably just need to keep at it for a little longer until you adjust. You just have to find that sweet spot!

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 02:59 PM
mbeam

Alright, thanks. I don't know what the lie on the lindros was but the lie on the draper is 5.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Blueshirt24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Alright, thanks. I don't know what the lie on the lindros was but the lie on the draper is 5.
I'm 99% sure the Lindros is a 6 because I only use Bauer sticks. I thought the Draper was a 6, but I don't know the curve or the manufacturer well enough and I was evidently wrong. The problem, in my opinion, is definitely the lie and not the curve itself. Going from a 6 to a 5 is really awkward. The 5 is set up for an entirely different positioning when shooting; it's hard to adjust to something like that.

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 03:07 AM
KillerCanuk

try shooting different..ie middle of blade open your stick a bit too, might help

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:39 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt24 View Post
I'm 99% sure the Lindros is a 6 because I only use Bauer sticks. I thought the Draper was a 6, but I don't know the curve or the manufacturer well enough and I was evidently wrong. The problem, in my opinion, is definitely the lie and not the curve itself. Going from a 6 to a 5 is really awkward. The 5 is set up for an entirely different positioning when shooting; it's hard to adjust to something like that.
The 5 lie in warrior is equal to 5.5+ in Easton or NBH (universal) lie. And you're right on the shooting. Wih a 5 lie, you must get more extension and the stick must be further down your body. But I think puck handling is where the biggest difference exists. Look for the tape wear on your blade, it should be balanced all the way down to the toe!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:50 PM
KillerCanuk

I just bought a warrior syko..the lie was a 4..and I cannot shot with it at all..my stickhandling and passing are ok, but cannot release a good shot at all.. My old RBK 5k is a 5.5 lie and i have a bullet of a shot, wrist, slap, snap all torpedos..but with this new one i feel like a peewee...wtf?

Old
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCanuk View Post
I just bought a warrior syko..the lie was a 4..and I cannot shot with it at all..my stickhandling and passing are ok, but cannot release a good shot at all.. My old RBK 5k is a 5.5 lie and i have a bullet of a shot, wrist, slap, snap all torpedos..but with this new one i feel like a peewee...wtf?
Going from shooting with 5.5 lie to 4 Warrior, 4.75 or so universal, is going to be a difference. Try shooting with the stick further away from your body, hands further down, knees bent more. You will probably get used to it after a little while. Also, which curve did you get, does it have rocker?

Old
10-01-2008, 03:05 PM
KillerCanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Going from shooting with 5.5 lie to 4 Warrior, 4.75 or so universal, is going to be a difference. Try shooting with the stick further away from your body, hands further down, knees bent more. You will probably get used to it after a little while. Also, which curve did you get, does it have rocker?
I like my hands wide apart..and my kness are always bent when i shoot. I noticed by being more up striaght and having my hands closer together im getting it off better with the warrior..but nothing compared to my rbk's shot power. I hate the change in mechanics it requires to be able to shoot properly with this stick..ive givin up and now trying to sell it..it is a Fedorov pattern not sure on the rocker? thanks for the help though

Old
10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Pivot King

With a higher lie, you'll need to adjust by bringing the puck closer to your body to shoot and stickhanlde, 'fourthliner' mentioned thsi. Using something like Malkin in the Bauer, or a Forsberg in Easton, they have a lower lie, so with those it is easy to shoot if you handle the puck further away from your body. My natural stance and skating kinda force me to use a lower lie, I try to fight it sometimes and use a Gagne or Sakic(Draper is almost the same as this), but they never quite feel the same as when I use a lower lie.

And I don't know of anyone whose tape wears evenly heel to toe. When skating with one hand on the stick, the heel will naturally wear down a lot quicker. That is just the way blades are shaped and how stick are held when not handling the puck.

Pivot King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:56 PM
KillerCanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot King View Post
With a higher lie, you'll need to adjust by bringing the puck closer to your body to shoot and stickhanlde, 'fourthliner' mentioned thsi. Using something like Malkin in the Bauer, or a Forsberg in Easton, they have a lower lie, so with those it is easy to shoot if you handle the puck further away from your body. My natural stance and skating kinda force me to use a lower lie, I try to fight it sometimes and use a Gagne or Sakic(Draper is almost the same as this), but they never quite feel the same as when I use a lower lie.

And I don't know of anyone whose tape wears evenly heel to toe. When skating with one hand on the stick, the heel will naturally wear down a lot quicker. That is just the way blades are shaped and how stick are held when not handling the puck.
actually since using my 5.5 lie rbk my tape evenly wears across the bottom of the stick..should i take pics!!

Old
10-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Pivot King

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCanuk View Post
actually since using my 5.5 lie rbk my tape evenly wears across the bottom of the stick..should i take pics!!
No pics necessary Killer, I believe you! I realized that phrased that wrong, but I still find it uncommon.

Pivot King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 07:21 PM
tamtamg

i got a new one90 as a gift with p106 curve (heel moderate slightly open 5.0). the thing is, i'm constantly on the toe. would shortening the length of the stick put me more towards the center of the blade or would it exacerbate the problem. thanks, gene.

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 07:26 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtamg View Post
i got a new one90 as a gift with p106 curve (heel moderate slightly open 5.0). the thing is, i'm constantly on the toe. would shortening the length of the stick put me more towards the center of the blade or would it exacerbate the problem. thanks, gene.
If you're finding excessive toe wear, then it means the lie is too low and you need a 5.5 or 6. Cutting it would only worsen the problem. Try to sell it unless you really think it's not affecting your game.

Old
10-04-2008, 07:34 PM
tamtamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
If you're finding excessive toe wear, then it means the lie is too low and you need a 5.5 or 6. Cutting it would only worsen the problem. Try to sell it unless you really think it's not affecting your game.
I don't want to sell it cause like i said, it was a gift, and i would feel wrong selling a gift. Are you sure cutting it won't help? I figure by cutting the shaft down a bit, it will force me to play lower, thus allowing me to use 5 lie.

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:04 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtamg View Post
I don't want to sell it cause like i said, it was a gift, and i would feel wrong selling a gift. Are you sure cutting it won't help? I figure by cutting the shaft down a bit, it will force me to play lower, thus allowing me to use 5 lie.
What it really forces you to do is play with the stick closer to your body. I've done that before to make a stick that was wearing on the heel work better. It would do the exact opposite.

The better bet is to get a stick extender:
http://hockeymonkey.com/6inlonshafbu.html

You can cut that to any length to make your stick the exact right length- I recommend getting on skates or rollerblades and holding your stick in a posture like you would in a game with the blade flat, and marking where you're holding the stick. Cut there.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote