HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Flames remaining games; can they win enough games to make the playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Zhackpot

vCash: 500
Flames remaining games; can they win enough games to make the playoffs?

The Flames play 12 of their last 21 on the road. 10 of those games are against teams with winning records.

In fact, 15 of their last 21 are against teams with winning records including 2 games left in Colorado; 3 games against Detroit(two of which are in Detroit); 2 games against Dallas(one there); host Ottawa once; 2 games in St. Louis; 2 against Nashville (one there), 2 against LA (one there); one game at San Jose; and still one game left against a suddenly surging Oilers team albeit at home.

The of that group only LA, Oilers, and St. Louis currently have less points than Calgary.

Remaining games: vs. Columbus, at Anaheim, 3 against Phoenix (2 home).

As of today, St. Louis with 67 points is holding down the final playoff spot that translates to 90 points over 82 games.

So for the sake of this argument 92 points gets you in the playoffs as the 8 seed Can the Flames get in?

Flames currently have 68 points. I would say the 5 games left against Columbus, Anaheim and Phoenix are must wins. 10 points. 78 points. Beat Oilers 2 more points. 80 points. Tie St. Louis once and lose once. 81 points. Win one in Colorado, lose one. 83 points. Lose to San Jose. Beat LA once and lose once. 85 points. Against Detroit go 1-1-1 for 3 points. 88 points. Lose to Ottawa. Win one and lose one against Nashville. 90 points. Beat Dallas once, lose one. 92 points.

I did not factor in the Flames getting help from other teams because you can't assume they will get any.

By my tally at least 11 wins are necessary for the Flames to get to 92 points. With room for a couple of ties only. 14 or 15 wins would put them in great position but that is a tall order given the teams that lay ahead.

GO FLAMES GO!

Old
02-23-2004, 05:32 PM
kruezer

Its gonna be a crazy stretch drive I think, I'm not too worried about them being on the road, they're a solid road team I think anyway, but the strength of the comp they play yikes. Really the C-Bus and Anaheim are MUST wins, and max is one point blown against the Yotes IMO. Then we play alot of the teams that are really close to us in this playoff battle, the 2 vs Dallas, 2 vs St. Loo, 2 vs. N-Dot, 2 vs. LALA are gonna be key, basically to make the POs we have to beat the teams trying to beat us....should make for some good games.

Old
02-24-2004, 02:52 AM
calgarylen13

Current Form

See I reckon, the important thing for Calgary is to maintain the form of the last seven games. If we close out the season and playoffs playing as we have in the last seven games, we'd really raise hell. Think of it this way:
21 games to go
win 4
lose 3
win 4
lose 3
win 4
lose 3
that makes us 12-9 and on the season with 42-32-4-3 (91 points)
Then in the playoffs
Win 4
into the 2nd round
lose 3
win 4
into the Conference finals
lose 3
win 4
into the Stanley Cup Finals
lose 3
win 4
and we're champions!

Keep up the good work Sutter!

Old
02-24-2004, 03:41 AM
feff

Send a message via Yahoo to feff
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13
See I reckon, the important thing for Calgary is to maintain the form of the last seven games. If we close out the season and playoffs playing as we have in the last seven games, we'd really raise hell. Think of it this way:
21 games to go
win 4
lose 3
win 4
lose 3
win 4
lose 3
that makes us 12-9 and on the season with 42-32-4-3 (91 points)
Then in the playoffs
Win 4
into the 2nd round
lose 3
win 4
into the Conference finals
lose 3
win 4
into the Stanley Cup Finals
lose 3
win 4
and we're champions!