HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Avatar

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2004, 04:17 PM
  #1
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,934
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
New Avatar

Hows it look guys?

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:22 PM
  #2
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
if it happens, i will personally come on these boards and proclaim you the new almighty ruler of everything!

Edge is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:27 PM
  #3
Mark Pavelich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
if it happens, i will personally come on these boards and proclaim you the new almighty ruler of everything!
I heard his stock dropped a bit...any truth to that?

Mark Pavelich is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:36 PM
  #4
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Hows it look guys?
Optimistic. Something I'm not.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:37 PM
  #5
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
I heard his stock dropped a bit...any truth to that?
no truth at all...unless by his stock dropping you mean that the gap between him and the 2nd guy has shrunk a bit...he is the unanimous #1

NYR469 is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:44 PM
  #6
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Optimistic. Something I'm not.



Good, you can sit next to me. I thought I was alone in my pessimism

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:46 PM
  #7
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
no truth at all...unless by his stock dropping you mean that the gap between him and the 2nd guy has shrunk a bit...he is the unanimous #1

Well with Sathers track record in the first round, he will prolly draft another Joe Hulbig or Steve Kelly again. When does Sather do something that actually make sense? Since we signed De Vries, I cant think of a time that De Vries and Leetch has ever played on the same pairing for more than a game or a shift. It proves that Sather is clueless when it comes down to hockey. A blind person could have coached those teams in the 80s and still look like a good GM. Sather is the most overrated GM in hockey in the past 10 years.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:51 PM
  #8
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,764
vCash: 500
Unless our GM(who will it be?) trades up(trade away what prospects we have left?), there will be no Ovechkin in Mudville :p

If we get into the lottery we could move up, but I doubt we end up with the #1 overall, the odds are against it.

Hey Edge, you mentioned you liked some players from the WHL in this years draft.... care to elaborate? Either Mike Green/Cam Barker would be fine with me

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:52 PM
  #9
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron


Good, you can sit next to me. I thought I was alone in my pessimism

c'mon pennywise!! you know the majority of this group is pesamistic by nature, or at least from being a ranger fan your sort of bread that way!

sickboy35 is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
  #10
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Well with Sathers track record in the first round, he will prolly draft another Joe Hulbig or Steve Kelly again. When does Sather do something that actually make sense? Since we signed De Vries, I cant think of a time that De Vries and Leetch has ever played on the same pairing for more than a game or a shift. It proves that Sather is clueless when it comes down to hockey. A blind person could have coached those teams in the 80s and still look like a good GM. Sather is the most overrated GM in hockey in the past 10 years.
I'll admit Slats was a good GM in Edmonton(80's teams). Even though he was blessed with great players, he still always surrounded those guys with just the right mix of offensive/defensive players and Edmonton was still able to bring in the young guys on top of that. But he never progressed with the game, say like Scotty Bowman did. He has refused to play the defensive systems that win, and thats his ultimate downfall.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 06:23 PM
  #11
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
From what I have seen of Ovechkin is he is a dynamic offensive player, a game breaker if you will. I don't think his stock has dropped so much as some kids have risen a little. All in all, i will be very surprised if he isn't the top pick.

As for some names i like from the WHL:

Barker is a natural two way defenseman with a nasty side. To me he might be the best overall prospect in the draft. It's been mentioned a few times, but not nearly enough, how much icetime this kid logs. He could be a higher scorer than he is, but he's playing way too much. Still the kid has averaged a point per game and has really impressed me with his stamina.


Kyle Chipchura is a big center who started off hot and then cooled off. I have questions about his offensive upside, but he does remind me a lot of Ryan Getzlaf. I'd just like to see him finish a bit more. He might be a ranked a bit too high at the moment though.

Andrew Ladd is a personal favorite as i think has the potential to become a very nice power winger. Him and Getzlaf have worked very well together when i've seen them, as a straight to the point power tandem.

Looking a little further down, i like Brett Carson a teammate of Ladd and Getzlaf in Calgary. He doesnt play to his size, but he is a steady stay at home type who positions himself well. If he could add a mean streak, he'd be ranked higher possibly even top 10.

The same could be said for Max Gordichuk. He's a huge kid, but i just dont see the mean streak. Still he knows how to play defense and as soon as he learns to use his body better, he could be a player to watch.

Brandon Dubinsky is also a kid worth looking at. He has awesome offensive instincts and has a chippy side. He is a yapper out there too which is nice. the drawback, i am not sold on his defense and there is no way in heck the kid is more than 5'9, 170.

Jeff Schultz rounds out the the deep calgary team in this draft. He is another big kid who plays solid defense but has almost no mean streak {there are a lot of them this year}. He needs to get bigger physically and he is a bit raw, but would certainly be an interesting choice for a team looking for a big guy who can also move the puck.

Other players i've liked this year include:

Dave Bolland
Wojtek Wolski
Ryan Garlock

Players i was disappointed with:
Vaclav Meidl
Bryan Brickell
Rob Schremp

From a north american side the draft is hit or miss. there are some prospects who look really impressive,and others who look like they'd be third rounders in last years draft. Push comes to shove I like Barker and Ladd, both would fit Ranger needs and personally i think they are better than the other options anyway. Ladd might not have a huge offensive upside but he looks like he could develop into a nice power forward, though not an elite one on a top line.

Barker has all the makings of a top 3 defenseman who just eats up icetime.

Edge is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 06:26 PM
  #12
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I'll admit Slats was a good GM in Edmonton(80's teams). Even though he was blessed with great players, he still always surrounded those guys with just the right mix of offensive/defensive players and Edmonton was still able to bring in the young guys on top of that. But he never progressed with the game, say like Scotty Bowman did. He has refused to play the defensive systems that win, and thats his ultimate downfall.

He hasnt had a winning team in 12 years now is it?

he is like dwight gooden, his career was awesome for the first half and below average for the second half.

Edge is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 06:36 PM
  #13
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
From what I have seen of Ovechkin is he is a dynamic offensive player, a game breaker if you will. I don't think his stock has dropped so much as some kids have risen a little. All in all, i will be very surprised if he isn't the top pick.

As for some names i like from the WHL:

Barker is a natural two way defenseman with a nasty side. To me he might be the best overall prospect in the draft. It's been mentioned a few times, but not nearly enough, how much icetime this kid logs. He could be a higher scorer than he is, but he's playing way too much. Still the kid has averaged a point per game and has really impressed me with his stamina.


Kyle Chipchura is a big center who started off hot and then cooled off. I have questions about his offensive upside, but he does remind me a lot of Ryan Getzlaf. I'd just like to see him finish a bit more. He might be a ranked a bit too high at the moment though.

Andrew Ladd is a personal favorite as i think has the potential to become a very nice power winger. Him and Getzlaf have worked very well together when i've seen them, as a straight to the point power tandem.

Looking a little further down, i like Brett Carson a teammate of Ladd and Getzlaf in Calgary. He doesnt play to his size, but he is a steady stay at home type who positions himself well. If he could add a mean streak, he'd be ranked higher possibly even top 10.

The same could be said for Max Gordichuk. He's a huge kid, but i just dont see the mean streak. Still he knows how to play defense and as soon as he learns to use his body better, he could be a player to watch.

Brandon Dubinsky is also a kid worth looking at. He has awesome offensive instincts and has a chippy side. He is a yapper out there too which is nice. the drawback, i am not sold on his defense and there is no way in heck the kid is more than 5'9, 170.

Jeff Schultz rounds out the the deep calgary team in this draft. He is another big kid who plays solid defense but has almost no mean streak {there are a lot of them this year}. He needs to get bigger physically and he is a bit raw, but would certainly be an interesting choice for a team looking for a big guy who can also move the puck.

Other players i've liked this year include:

Dave Bolland
Wojtek Wolski
Ryan Garlock

Players i was disappointed with:
Vaclav Meidl
Bryan Brickell
Rob Schremp

From a north american side the draft is hit or miss. there are some prospects who look really impressive,and others who look like they'd be third rounders in last years draft. Push comes to shove I like Barker and Ladd, both would fit Ranger needs and personally i think they are better than the other options anyway. Ladd might not have a huge offensive upside but he looks like he could develop into a nice power forward, though not an elite one on a top line.

Barker has all the makings of a top 3 defenseman who just eats up icetime.
I like alot of the ones you mentioned but Chipchura & Ladd don't seem to be putting up great numbers, not sure I like them in the drafts top 7 where we'll be picking. Wolski would be great, imagine Jessiman on the Right with Wolski on the left, that would be something

Boris Valabik is a project but what a nasty upside.... Mike Green is a lesser Phaneuf, i'd be happy trading down a few spots, get some picks or prospects then take either of these guys.

Edge, a name to keep an eye on - Darin Olver, Frosh Center at Northern Michigan. He's currently being coached by Walt Kyle, a friend of his families, and also a friend of our beloved GM/Coach. If Slats is still here at the draft I can see Olver maybe being taken in the 2nd or 3rd round(He's a 3rd rounder, IMO).

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 06:37 PM
  #14
RANGERDIEHARD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Edge

Barker would be fantastic but like Phaneuf I think he will be gone by the time the Rangers pick (4 -8?). The Caps probably will take him.

BTW - just wondering why you are down on Scremp? Some scouts have him in the top 5 and he is producing well in the "O". The way things look, the Rangers may pick this guy with the first pick. I personally would like to see the Rangers take Defenseman Mike Green from Saskatoon if they can't land Barker.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 07:06 PM
  #15
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Chipchura's offense is def. a concern, that's the one think holding back, especially his finishing touch. He scored 9 goals as a rookie and started off hot this year before falling back to earth. it's really hard to tell, but the talent is there.

As for Ladd, he is scoring at about a point per game in the dubya. Keep in mind, he is also a rookie in the league. Having said that he's on pace for about 25 goals a point per game pace. as for his offense, take a look at Getzlaf with another year under his belt. Guy is one of the league's top scorers despite playing only 40 games. I wouldnt be shocked to see Ladd have a followup season similar to that. The kid plays with a lot of heart and though again he isnt a star he could be a lw with a nice scoring touch and a nasty side. If Jessiman has the potential to be the big scoring winger, Ladd might just be the hard working lw who works the corner and crashes the net.

Schremp didn't impress me because i didnt see that drive to score more than the perimeter points. it reminds me a lot of gagne and chouinard back in 98. the numbers were close {meaning Schremp and Bolland} but there were just little things that made Gagne the better prospect. i see similar things here. not that either guy is a power forward, monster type, but Bolland seems a little more willing to pay the price and get his hands dirty. Schremp seemed like a guy who could score but didnt want to be hit, and that bothered me a little.

I like Wolski too, though i wana see his defense improve.

Edge is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
  #16
rootin tootin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
What about Olesz, Malkin and Shremp. Each along with Barker and Ovechkin have been projected to go top 5 ever since last year.

rootin tootin is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 07:51 PM
  #17
Hankenstein
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Barker would be my ABSOLUTE first choice. I'll take wither Green or Olesz if Cam is gone by the time we pick.

Hankenstein is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 10:57 PM
  #18
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
c'mon pennywise!! you know the majority of this group is pesamistic by nature, or at least from being a ranger fan your sort of bread that way!

LOL...Yes, I was merely running a drill. Wanted to make sure nobody was getting the giddies in the midst of another losing. I want glum faces across the board. Your hatred and the souls of children give me strength. HEHEHEHEHE...sorry, I'm in a cheeseball horror movie phase right now. Just picked up "DAGON" on DVD. Low budget horror based on H.P. Lovecraft's stories "Dagon" & "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". Good stuff. Anyway, back to Rangers hating...

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 11:10 PM
  #19
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
LOL...Yes, I was merely running a drill. Wanted to make sure nobody was getting the giddies in the midst of another losing. I want glum faces across the board. Your hatred and the souls of children give me strength. HEHEHEHEHE...sorry, I'm in a cheeseball horror movie phase right now. Just picked up "DAGON" on DVD. Low budget horror based on H.P. Lovecraft's stories "Dagon" & "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". Good stuff. Anyway, back to Rangers hating...
i love cheeseball horror movies!! speaking of which, see what comes out march 19th? a remake of "dawn of the dead" that and my birthday are the only good things about march!

sickboy35 is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 11:40 PM
  #20
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
i love cheeseball horror movies!! speaking of which, see what comes out march 19th? a remake of "dawn of the dead" that and my birthday are the only good things about march!

Yeah I can't wait for that. Also in March the remake of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE comes out on DVD. I loved the original, but I have to tell you...the remake was better. It's rare that someone remakes a film better that the orignal, but this one sure has hell surprised me. One thing though, I had a hell of a time getting past Jessica Biels jeans. Wow


Here comes crazy man with chainsaw.

Shadowtron's reply: Those jeans...oh good lord, look how she fits into those jeans.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
02-23-2004, 11:43 PM
  #21
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootin tootin
What about Olesz, Malkin and Shremp. Each along with Barker and Ovechkin have been projected to go top 5 ever since last year.

If i had to guess i'd say Ovechkin goes first with Barker second.

I dunno about Shremp, I'm not even sure he is the best draft eligible player on his team.....

Edge is offline  
Old
02-24-2004, 10:52 AM
  #22
RANGERDIEHARD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
If i had to guess i'd say Ovechkin goes first with Barker second.

I dunno about Shremp, I'm not even sure he is the best draft eligible player on his team.....
Ovechkin
Malkin
Barker
Olesz

RANGERDIEHARD is offline  
Old
02-24-2004, 11:00 AM
  #23
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Yeah I can't wait for that. Also in March the remake of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE comes out on DVD. I loved the original, but I have to tell you...the remake was better. It's rare that someone remakes a film better that the orignal, but this one sure has hell surprised me.


I can understand Jesica Biels jeans, we're all in agreeance on that, but better than the original!???

Man, that movie is Horror-ble! :p

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
02-24-2004, 11:39 AM
  #24
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13


I can understand Jesica Biels jeans, we're all in agreeance on that, but better than the original!???

Man, that movie is Horror-ble! :p
It was a really good movie and I'm usually bored to hell with scary movies. One thing I dont get: Why Jessica Biel wearing a bra? With all the running and water it wouldve been better :/

Barnaby is offline  
Old
02-24-2004, 11:41 AM
  #25
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13


I can understand Jesica Biels jeans, we're all in agreeance on that, but better than the original!???

Man, that movie is Horror-ble! :p

I think it’s all a matter of taste. The movie was panned by critics, but I like those types of film. Don’t get me wrong, I love the original. Hell, I have an autographed photo of Gunner Hansen dressed up as Leatherface. It’s a classic film. But, my feeling is that the remake is the movie Tobe Hooper would have made if he had had a bigger budget. It was just well done. It seemed more complete for me. I thought the Leatherface was a little too “Hollywood”, but thought they did a bang up job with the rest of it. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre will always be a classic as far as modern horror goes. I just think the remake, technically, was a superior film. A lot of what they did in the film (Jessica’s jeans notwithstanding) left me with my jaw hanging open. I have to really tip my hat for their effort.

Shadowtron is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.