Notices

R.I.P: Terry Tomasi [Backin72]

Old
05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
duckchobbins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I have a feeling Terry may have lost out to Jussi Jokinen's dad this year, but I'm sure he bargained a finals appearance next year for us..
a fair deal keep pullin them strings up there terry. every bit helps!

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:15 PM
tarabelle99

Send a message via AIM to tarabelle99
It's been a long time since I've visited here and I came here for a specific purpose, to find out why Terry hadn't checked in for ages at a different board nor had I received any emails/messages. I am beyond saddened to learn of his passing.

When I first signed up to the ESPN boards many years ago, I had no idea that I would forge a long term friendship with a man who lived in another country and shared a mutual love for the Bruins.

Terry was an awesome friend and I will miss him. My condolences go out to his family.

tarabelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:23 PM
RustyBruins72

It's been a year

I meant to post last thursday but I was out of town.

I can't believe it's been a year since you've passed.

I am sure your family feels the same.

The room still isn't the same without you my friend.

I had a little tear in my eye when Timmy won the vezina. You believed in Timmy before I did. You always knew.

I just realized the day you passed is my nephew's birthday. He's 4 this year. He is getting a "Number 4 Bobby Orr!" book this year from Uncle Russ. Think you'd like that.

Miss you Terry.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 04:42 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post
I meant to post last thursday but I was out of town.

I can't believe it's been a year since you've passed.

I am sure your family feels the same.

The room still isn't the same without you my friend.

I had a little tear in my eye when Timmy won the vezina. You believed in Timmy before I did. You always knew.

I just realized the day you passed is my nephew's birthday. He's 4 this year. He is getting a "Number 4 Bobby Orr!" book this year from Uncle Russ. Think you'd like that.

Miss you Terry.
Miss you Terry and maybe more than most I remember your charm and how it ended. I did not know at the time it was you but you have been with me since that tragic moment in the grocery store ever since. You are with me now and forever will impact my life. i hope 1 day to me the man you were and the father and husband i can hope to be. God Bless Terry.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat986 View Post
Miss you Terry and maybe more than most I remember your charm and how it ended. I did not know at the time it was you but you have been with me since that tragic moment in the grocery store ever since. You are with me now and forever will impact my life. i hope 1 day to me the man you were and the father and husband i can hope to be. God Bless Terry.

Well, I wanted my 6000th post to mean something, so I'm putting it here. It's always regrettable when an upstanding person dies before his time. He's probably up there posting on that hfboards up in heaven. Hope his family is holding up well. The wife always takes it hard when the husband goes like it, but the kids take it just as hard. My middle sister was never quite the same when my Dad passed away at age 44.

Also, teachable moment for all you Dads out there. Take care of your health, get a good primary care doctor and keep up with your physicals. If it weren't for my doctor being so good and so thorough, I could have been up there with Terry watching the Carolina series from on high.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Floydian

I can't fully express how saddened and shocked I am to hear of Terry's death.

I met Backin on another board when him and I were defending the honor of a poster/board Admin who had been the subject of a malicious campaign against her by the other board Admin and Mods. Backin and I acted out of a sense of loyalty and honor that defined and followed our online relationship.

Along with several other posters, including shOOt -who used to post here and who I can't seem to locate now- him and I were part of a very small clique of posters that eventually created our own board that had very little to do with sports and we learned a great deal about one another. My lasting memory of Terry will be him, in -45 degree weather, climbing onto his roof to shovel off snow.

Over the last several years we drifted apart and were in contact less and less frequently. Today, I was going through the archives of some of our old postings and came across Tara's announcement that Terry had died, and a link to this thread. I just wanted to stop in and pay my respects.

Also, I want to share with everyone how I will always remember Backin:

As I've stated, several of us were part of a small message board (Langdon, shOOt, Backin, RG, myself, Bob01, and lonewolf making up the core). One particularly slow day on the board, someone commented on how the place resembled a ghost town. As a joke, I created an invision board, giving everyone Admin controls.

The rules of the board were that you were not allowed to name yourself and you were not allowed to set up your own avatar. In other words, everyone but you was in charge of setting up your account. We spent a week or so modifying the board and making completely insane posts to pass the time, leading to some brilliant, yet gross humor.

NSFW DISCLAIMER:
The entire site is beyond NOT SAFE FOR WORK AND NOT FOR ANYONE WHO WOULD BE EASILY OFFENDED. I named Terry Backinmyass...he named me Rumple Foreskin and gave me an avatar I still cannot look at without cracking up.

Again, I post this because this is how I want to remember Terry -as a really funny, witty guy- and because this is a side some of you that only know him through hockey talk may not know.

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Two_******_Bags/

Note: Unfortunately, the url I posted will not work here because the address contains a word that this site censors (the word is D O U C H E)....so if you put that word into the url you'll get to see the site. Each word is followed by an underscore...so it's "Two_D O U C H E_Bags"...of course the middle word does not contain spaces.

P.S.
If the board admin can make an exception for this URL it will allow friends of Backin's to enjoy the irreverence and humor that I knew him to have.

Last edited by Floydian: 08-20-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Floydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:32 AM
RustyBruins72

Happy Birthday Terry,

I hope your family is doing well.

Still can't believe you're gone.

Old
04-11-2010, 09:49 AM
stick9

Finally swapped out my avatar. Terry never knew my wife was expecting or that we had a baby girl...something he would have loved to hear. So in a way my new pic is still a tribute to him.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Finally swapped out my avatar. Terry never knew my wife was expecting or that we had a baby girl...something he would have loved to hear. So in a way my new pic is still a tribute to him.
hey stick,

congrat on your new baby girl, she's a really cutie!

I have thought about Terry a lot this last month or so.

The build up with Tank Nation and the bruins slide and then hop in to the playoffs.

He'd be offering his usual off the cuff humour and be taking on all comer for the thomas bashers.

Said it before and I'll say it again, the place isn't the same without him.

Old
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
ksp1957

Hey, Terry. If it isn't too much to ask, can you use some influence up there and get the Bruins to the ECF this season ? I got a blowhard Yankee fan here who says the Bruins are one and done this season.

Old
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Drinking one for you tonight, Terry.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Markus
Registered Lurker

I was just wandering around hfboards and noticed this thread. A long time ago I used to post on ESPN and would clown around with a poster named Backin72, so I'm assuming it's the same dude. We had some sort of thread battle going on the main NHL board where two groups tried to see who could get the highest post count on two off-topic threads. I don't remember everyone but I remember Backin72 and another poster named SignGuerin. Good times, sorry to hear he passed on.

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
NinthSpoke06

Hey Backin72, you probably don't know me but I remember lurking around reading your posts for a while back.

Well we could us some help down here. Hopefully you can pull some strings up there for game 7.

Thanks, you are still missed!

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARAnator View Post
Hey Backin72, you probably don't know me but I remember lurking around reading your posts for a while back.

Well we could us some help down here. Hopefully you can pull some strings up there for game 7.

Thanks, you are still missed!
You know, that might work. He used to yank on our chains pretty good when he posted. This may be a collossal laugh on his part. Bring us to the edge of a nervous breakdown and then have the Bruins take game 7 in triple overtime.

So... Backin72, that IS what you have in mind, right ?

Old
05-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
You know, that might work. He used to yank on our chains pretty good when he posted. This may be a collossal laugh on his part. Bring us to the edge of a nervous breakdown and then have the Bruins take game 7 in triple overtime.

So... Backin72, that IS what you have in mind, right ?
I wouldn't find that funny or amusing at all! Which is worse- knowing that you're going to lose the game because they team flat out stinks that night, or game 7 triple OT?

I'd prefer a clean win, Terri. Say, Bruins 7, Flyers 1. Yes, yes, that is much better than teasing us, don't you think?

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
I wouldn't find that funny or amusing at all! Which is worse- knowing that you're going to lose the game because they team flat out stinks that night, or game 7 triple OT?

I'd prefer a clean win, Terri. Say, Bruins 7, Flyers 1. Yes, yes, that is much better than teasing us, don't you think?
Yeah, Terri. 7-1 Bruins WOULD be a lot better and you can needle all the Flyers fans up there. THAT'S the ticket.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

While reading this thread it got me thinking. I never met or talked to you really but you seemed to be one hell of a guy. Alot of the people i consider to be the top people here have really emotional thoughtful posts which leads me to believe and know you were a great guy. Hopefully i can garner the same respect and be as great of a Bruins fan as you seemed to be. Send some luck down here for us. Been too damn long!

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 10:46 AM
RustyBruins72

Happy Birthday Terry.

Your boy timmy is having a hell of a season.

Old
03-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

This is no longer a ‘sticky’ so everyone can read the rules at the top of the page for the Habs game.

Thank you.

04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
RustyBruins72

Hey Backin,

The bruins could use a little help tonight.

Anything you could do to energize the PP and help them score goals, would be greatly appreciated by everyone.

You're still missed buddy!

Old
04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
ksp1957

Terry, can we all call in a marker. A Bruins win this game would be nice. See what you can do. PLEASE !!!!

Old
04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Sad that Terry couldnt be around for this win

Always in our thoughts.

Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:52 PM
NinthSpoke06

Thanks Terry. I know you were there helping the Bruins break the game 7 curse!

You are still missed.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Waltah*

Hope terry is giving the habs ghosts a good ribbing.

God Bless you Terry.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:14 PM
BruinsBtn

Glad to see this thread bumped to the top of the stickies... RIP to Terry and all the Bruins fans who didn't get to see this one.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote