HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings deny Khabibulin interest (Boston Globe)

Old
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
salty justice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
No thanks on Calder. We have so many young guys at forward that need some ice time to get experience. Calder would take away ice time from them while not adding anything we really need.
Our bottom 6 is extremely weak. Aside from Ladd and Bolland we don't have any quality players in our bottom 6. Sure Skille, Beach, or Blunden could step in and score 30 points but I don't feel comfortable banking on it.

Once Havlat goes down our entire lineup will be hurting. I would really like a guy like Calder who could step in and play solidly on any of the bottom 3 lines. Sure he has been terrible the last two years but he had a lot of success here, and I think in the final year of his contract he will redeem himself. Saving $4mil on Khabibulin would give Tallon plenty of reason$ to bet on Calder.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Calder wasn't even terrible last year. He was pretty good just kind of snake bit and then he was hurt twice.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:31 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Our bottom 6 is extremely weak. Aside from Ladd and Bolland we don't have any quality players in our bottom 6. Sure Skille, Beach, or Blunden could step in and score 30 points but I don't feel comfortable banking on it.

Once Havlat goes down our entire lineup will be hurting. I would really like a guy like Calder who could step in and play solidly on any of the bottom 3 lines. Sure he has been terrible the last two years but he had a lot of success here, and I think in the final year of his contract he will redeem himself. Saving $4mil on Khabibulin would give Tallon plenty of reason$ to bet on Calder.
Nah.. the word is Kevyn Adams is getting re-signed so that leaves the Adams family and Burish/Eager as the fourth with something like a Bickell-Bolland-Ladd third line. Works for me.

I'd like to see what happens in camp before I go acquiring more forwards. Someone is bound to step up and play their way onto the team.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poofer View Post
The Hawks are stuck with Krabbi, and theres no team stupid enough to help out the Hawks and their cap issues.

Why would you?

Dale Tallon is the biggest lummox in the NHL, and didnt learn his lesson the first time the Hawks opened up the rusted purse strings when he signed Krabbi to that ridiculous contract in the first place.

13 million in goal, one top line, and extreme overpayment for a defenseman who isnt even a top 10 D-man in the NHL

Maybe I should put on rose colored glasses......
What the hell is wrong with you?

You think the Hawks are begging teams to take khabby?

Dale Tallon brought this team up to where it is now, he didnt try to put band aids on the wounds we had, he drafted and drafted and drafted. He didnt deal our prospects for anything. The Hawks will be a great team because of Tallon.

The Hawks could trade Lang right now and get a return of a 2nd round pick and a decent prospect and let Kontiola fill the void.

Let me guess Robert Lang has no value to any NHL team? yea a soild 2nd line center thats good for 50+ points isnt in demand in the NHL?

Its truely astounding that any hockey fan would even say Khabby wouldnt be of value ot LA when they are under cap and have NO true #1.

"dont worry we will make cap floor" is what Kings fans say.. Yea? its september 12th and the season is 3 weeks away.

Khabby might be traded but it wont be along with a 1st round pick for a 4th round pick.

The Hawks wont move Khabby if they dont get starting goalie market value for him. We arent talking abut Aturs Irbe here. Of course the Hawks will get salary back most likely... Yeah Khabby has a large contract but its not like hes NOT a #1.

I dont even know how any LA fan could say they dont need khabby.. Thats like a guy whos trying to eat a steak with a plastic butter knife say he doesnt need a steak knife and he doesnt need money to pay for his $15.00 steak when he only has $12.00 in his wallet.

What are the Kings going to do? overpay free agents? over pay prospects and sign them to NHL deals when they arent ready?

Maybe LA can sign Jeff Hamilton to a 4 year 20 million dollar contract?

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Hawksfan2828

I would love to know if LA fans would rather have prospects with inflated contracts playing in the NHL right now before they are ready or have an over priced #1 goalie? those are pretty much your options at this point. Well you could always go the FA route and over pay a 3rd liner (if he was willing to go to LA).

Old
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Lombardi threw big money at Stoll, don't think for a second that he won't be vastly overpaying O'Sullivan to hit the cap floor. Lombardi's game plan for this season is very simple: Get Tavares. Acquiring Khabibulin would go against everything he has worked for the last few years.

Now I'm only partially joking here; Lombardi has done nothing to prove otherwise.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Kingler

I think if you read the board consistently then it should be obvious that the Kings will reach the cap floor with little to no problem. And unlike popular believes, they won't have to massively overpay anyone to do so.

Quote:
Its truely astounding that any hockey fan would even say Khabby wouldnt be of value ot LA when they are under cap and have NO true #1.
Quote:
Yeah Khabby has a large contract but its not like hes NOT a #1.
So if Khabibulin is #1 goalie, then why did the Hawks toss an extra $5.6M to sign Huet? Or is that how much a number 2 goalie is worth nowaday?

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Lombardi threw big money at Stoll, don't think for a second that he won't be vastly overpaying O'Sullivan to hit the cap floor. Lombardi's game plan for this season is very simple: Get Tavares. Acquiring Khabibulin would go against everything he has worked for the last few years.

Now I'm only partially joking here; Lombardi has done nothing to prove otherwise.
Lombardi has to do something, hes done pretty much nothing so far this offseason.

I dont see how overpaying guys does anything good for the NHL, thats the problem with the cap. LA is going to over pay some RFA to hit cap floor and if he produces hes going to want a pay raise and if he doesnt get it he will say hes going to the KHL. Thats why the position LA is in is bad for the NHL at this point.

Old
09-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
I think if you read the board consistently then it should be obvious that the Kings will reach the cap floor with little to no problem. And unlike popular believes, they won't have to massively overpay anyone to do so.

So if Khabibulin is #1 goalie, then why did the Hawks toss an extra $5.6M to sign Huet? Or is that how much a number 2 goalie is worth nowaday?
Yea, the Kings have no choice but to reach cap floor but by what means will they do it?

Have you ever heard of Andy Moog and Grant Fuhr? The Blackhawks also signed Nimini as well and have Cory Crawford waiting for his big NHL gig.

Doesnt Huet and Khabby make the Hawks have the best tandum in the NHL? Why not put some money into a goaltending system? half the team are RFA's.

Old
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:

The Kings also bought some UFA years from Stoll and that is going to cost any team more on a contract. Was it risky considering Stoll's injury history? Definitely.

What do you consider a vast overpayment for O'Sullivan? I would say that unfortunately, if they want to lock him up long term, it's going to take around $4 mil, but that's looking at what the market is around the league. Ideally O'Sullivan should be making somewhere around what Brown is getting, but it's not going to happen. However, Lombardi is not going to sign him to some deal for like $5-6 mil like I think some people here are hoping, and I think you're trying to imply that he's going to do. Doing that would completely destroy the salary structure on the team and Lombardi knows he's got Kopitar and Johnson to sign next summer.

danaluvsthekings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Yea, the Kings have no choice but to reach cap floor but by what means will they do it?
By signing their own RFA's. Maybe do yourself a favor and use the search feature and dig up threads where this has been discussed ad naseum.

Lombardi has done something this summer? He dumped and older player off for two younger players. Agree or disagree with him, he is sticking to his "plan". His "plan" doesn't include signing a bunch of UFA's which didn't work last year. It does include introducing younger players that have earned a roster spot into the lineup. His "plan" now also includes a cash budget imposed by AEG.

I love it when people comment on something they really are not too informed on. I wouldn't comment on the situation in Chicago because quite frankly I don't really know much. Just as you find it absurd that outsiders think Chicago wants to dump Khabibulin's salary on another team, I think you are absurd in the notion that the Kings will have to overpay their won RFA's to reach the CAP floor when this has been proven otherwise on countless occasions.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I would love to know if LA fans would rather have prospects with inflated contracts playing in the NHL right now before they are ready or have an over priced #1 goalie? those are pretty much your options at this point. Well you could always go the FA route and over pay a 3rd liner (if he was willing to go to LA).
Really? What "prospects with infated contracts" will be on the Kings opening night roster?

You have some nerve with your condescending comments towards the Kings considering you are a fan of the Blackhawks. We may have a crappy team but at least we have made the playoffs more than once in the last 10 years. We even one a series! We are currently in the same process that the Blackhawks have been over the past few years. I don't know where you get off riding in on a high horse.

Old
09-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

I dont even know how any LA fan could say they dont need khabby.. Thats like a guy whos trying to eat a steak with a plastic butter knife say he doesnt need a steak knife and he doesnt need money to pay for his $15.00 steak when he only has $12.00 in his wallet.
Well the Kings have a $3 off coupon and the cook cut the steak into pieces for us. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Quote:
He retired a few years after the Dodgers won the World Series in '88.

Old
09-12-2008, 04:34 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:

Have you ever heard of Andy Moog and Grant Fuhr? The Blackhawks also signed Nimini as well and have Cory Crawford waiting for his big NHL gig.

Doesnt Huet and Khabby make the Hawks have the best tandum in the NHL? Why not put some money into a goaltending system? half the team are RFA's.

Do some research before making yourself look like an Idiot.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Roke

I don't buy this "give use something and take on this terrible contract so you can get to the cap floor" stuff. Why would LA give up an asset, or even take on Khabibulin if they don't want him, when they could go out and sign a veteran, minor league player to an inflated, one-year contract, only having to give up money?

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
What the hell is wrong with you?

You think the Hawks are begging teams to take khabby?

Dale Tallon brought this team up to where it is now, he didnt try to put band aids on the wounds we had, he drafted and drafted and drafted. He didnt deal our prospects for anything. The Hawks will be a great team because of Tallon.

The Hawks could trade Lang right now and get a return of a 2nd round pick and a decent prospect and let Kontiola fill the void.

Let me guess Robert Lang has no value to any NHL team? yea a soild 2nd line center thats good for 50+ points isnt in demand in the NHL?

"dont worry we will make cap floor" is what Kings fans say.. Yea? its september 12th and the season is 3 weeks away.

Khabby might be traded but it wont be along with a 1st round pick for a 4th round pick.

The Hawks wont move Khabby if they dont get starting goalie market value for him. We arent talking abut Aturs Irbe here. Of course the Hawks will get salary back most likely... Yeah Khabby has a large contract but its not like hes NOT a #1.

What are the Kings going to do? overpay free agents? over pay prospects and sign them to NHL deals when they arent ready?

Congratulations on one of the worst posts ever!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Aztec59

Quote:
Lombardi has to do something, hes done pretty much nothing so far this offseason.

I dont see how overpaying guys does anything good for the NHL, thats the problem with the cap. LA is going to over pay some RFA to hit cap floor and if he produces hes going to want a pay raise and if he doesnt get it he will say hes going to the KHL. Thats why the position LA is in is bad for the NHL at this point.
Last I checked the Kings are about 3 mil under the floor, and still have to sign O'Sullivan and Richardson. Plus once those two are signed they still have two more roster spots to fill. So just quit already.

Aztec59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
When Plan A failed Lombardi resorted to Plan B. Plan A was to sign Brian Campbell to a ridiculous contract like $7.1m for 5 years. Plan B is to re-sign our own RFA's.

Old
09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
massivegoonery

My math has LA about $3 million below the cap floor right now. O'Sullivan's contract should easily take care of that.

In the event that POS is a holdout, LA would only need to add something like $1m or so of salary to be able to start the season.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
southerncross116

It seems like the Lang to Montreal deal might also be about checking to see if Lombardi is bluffing? Now that the Hawks are that much closer (probably under the cap) - it means that teams can't simply say that as a cap dump, they can get Khabibhulin at a significant discount.

I expect him to be gone from the Hawks at some point in this season, for more than what a salary dump would bring in, be it to the Kings or whoever else.

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:23 PM
SpooKy

Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Well the Kings have a $3 off coupon and the cook cut the steak into pieces for us. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

He retired a few years after the Dodgers won the World Series in '88.

You mean Jeff "Lightning" Hamilton, playing the hot corner in 88'?

SpooKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec59 View Post
Last I checked the Kings are about 3 mil under the floor, and still have to sign O'Sullivan and Richardson. Plus once those two are signed they still have two more roster spots to fill. So just quit already.

Yea and signing a player is easy right? you just sign him like in a video game or something?

How you think Roenick ended up on the Phoneix roster or Belfour on the Sharks? anyone want a dose of Steve Larmer?

They "just" have to sign the UFA's..... Every NHL team took care of the UFA's back in July and early August...

Watch O'sullivan get a 3 year 15 million dollar contract.

I have seen many players jump ship because they dont want to play in a city under an owner... I'm a Hawks fan dont forget.

I have been hearing "we will just sign our RFA's" for the last 3 months. Lets not forget you need NHL contracts.

Its a week before camp and a few from the season and lombardi has his thumb up his butt doing nothing.

Hawks just traded Lang like I expected so the cap issue is gone but the Kings still have one.

Old
09-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
You make it seem like it was only the Hawks and Kings that had cap problems. There are lots of other teams still over the cap. We dont need or want Khabibulin, get over it.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross116 View Post
It seems like the Lang to Montreal deal might also be about checking to see if Lombardi is bluffing? Now that the Hawks are that much closer (probably under the cap) - it means that teams can't simply say that as a cap dump, they can get Khabibhulin at a significant discount.

I expect him to be gone from the Hawks at some point in this season, for more than what a salary dump would bring in, be it to the Kings or whoever else.
The Hawks are like 2 million under the cap, I hope they sign Hamilton to a 2-way deal.

Old
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
For anyone who thinks the Kings have to scramble to hit the cap floor: they don't. Assuming they're at about $37.24 million like I have them now [with 19 players signed and counting], signing four (4) players at the bare league minimum of $475,000 gets them to $39.14 million.

-- If the Kings sign O'Sullivan for $2 million and three (3) guys at $475,000 then they sit at about $40.8 million. Problem solved.
-- If the Kings move up Purcell, Hickey and Murray, then they sit at $40.87 million - and a guy at $475,000 puts them at $41.62 million. Problem solved.
-- If they move up Gauthier, Moulson and Ellis and sign O'Sullivan for $2 million, they're at about $40.8 million. Problem solved.
-- If they move up Hickey, Ellis and Gauthier and sign O'Sullivan for $1.2 million, they're at about $40.8 million. Problem solved.

It's not going to be that difficult. For all practical purposes, they're there right now depending on which 4 players one selects to fill out a 23-man roster ... but I've yet to get any input on which players will actually end up on the Kings roster.