HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers - Superhuman after the all-star break. Why?

Old
09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
New York Rangers - Superhuman after the all-star break. Why?

Why does it seem that the Rangers just turn super-human after the all-star break?

Last year we hit that 13-14 game point streak and the year before that I remember the Rangers tearing it up too. If someone could provide the run the rangers went on after the all-star break over the past three years that would be awesome.

Any idea why? Was it Jagr going all out after the all-star break year in and year out? I know Lundquist's stats are insane after the all-star break every year as well. Any Ideas why the Rangers turn into cup contenders and go on a hot streak around this time of year? Is it the players feel playoff fever and give it there all? Shouldn't they be doing that all year anyways, giving it their all?

What are your thoughts on this and do you think this will be the case again this year?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Because it's a Glen Sather team.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Because it's a Glen Sather team.
Explain

Old
09-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
The 80's Oilers were usually the same exact way, perhaps more out of arrogance..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
FLYLine24*

Because chemistry within the whole team finally clicks by then. We have so many changes at the start of every season that it takes time.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Because chemistry within the whole team finally clicks by then. We have so many changes at the start of every season that it takes time.
That with a mix of desperation. That the reality sinks in that they may not make the playoffs.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
But why are the rangers so much different then most other teams. I know the Capitols where the same way but that is only because they got a decent goalie at the trade deadline. We just won game after game after game along the final stretch of games. The only other team who did better then us, mabye, was SJ Sharks. Other then that, we just tore up the NHL like we were playing AHL teams. If chemistry is the culprit then I hope the team will click earlier on in the year.

Old
09-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Ola

Quote:
yeah

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
bcrt2000

Its because of the system Renney has been employing. That coupled with key roster changes caused problems. Don't expect any difference this season. Theres also the Sean Avery factor, he wasn't healthy early last season and we didn't have him the year before. When he was in the lineup we could give a lot of different looks to teams.

05-06 was a different beast because we played offensive, but with 11 of our players going to the olympics, we got banged up big time. I remember before the season started I stated on HF that the Rangers would be severely affected by the Olympics and I was right. They took a swan dive at the end of the season. If it wasn't an Olympic year/Jagr didn't get crushed by Jarrko, then they probably would have finished 1st or 2nd in the Conference.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I have spoken with Scotty Gomez at the All Star Game and he pretty much guaranteed the playoffs. I think the whole group believed they were better and playing better than the rest of the teams on the edge.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Synergy27

This is obviously a complicated question to answer, and there many factors at play, but I'll throw in a little different perspective. I think it has a lot to do with Reg Grant.

This is something that doesn't get talked about too often, but I think Reg and his staff, along with the first class facilities at their disposal, are a big reason why the Rangers always seem to come on strong late. Never underestimate the value of quicker recovery and having overall better conditioning than your opponents. Skill levels are so close on a team by team basis that seemingly "little" things like this can be real difference makers.

Have the rest of you also noticed that the Rangers have been "lucky" enough to avoid many serious injuries recently? I don't think this is a coincidence either, and superior strength and conditioning helps keep players out of the on ice situations that often lead to disaster.

Just my two cents.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
This is obviously a complicated question to answer, and there many factors at play, but I'll throw in a little different perspective. I think it has a lot to do with Reg Grant.

This is something that doesn't get talked about too often, but I think Reg and his staff, along with the first class facilities at their disposal, are a big reason why the Rangers always seem to come on strong late. Never underestimate the value of quicker recovery and having overall better conditioning than your opponents. Skill levels are so close on a team by team basis that seemingly "little" things like this can be real difference makers.

Have the rest of you also noticed that the Rangers have been "lucky" enough to avoid many serious injuries recently? I don't think this is a coincidence either, and superior strength and conditioning helps keep players out of the on ice situations that often lead to disaster.

Just my two cents.
Touche

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
ogie

two words...Henrik Lundqvist.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Honestly, i think it is because of arrogance.

They think if they just show up on most nights, they will win. When they play the better teams in the league, THEN they actually show up and play hard. Its a pretty telling stat how many times they have lost to the crappier teams in the league, especially early in the season. Who did the Thrashers get their first win against after like 2 weeks of hockey? The Rangers. Who did the Kings beat at MSG? The Rangers.

We play like a very arrogant team, and I despise it with every fiber of my being. That is what separates the Red Wings from everyone else. Those guys show up to play no matter who their opponent is. The Rangers do not. its why our intradivisional record is so superb. Those games "matter" more to the players, hence they show up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I wonder if we will see the trend of the past 2 years, mediocre October, good November, bad december/January, good for the rest of the season.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Cherepanisimov

only for the last 2 years. in 05-06 we were terrible after the olympics. in 06-07 hossa and jagr clicked and hossa led the league in post-allstargame goals for a while. and this year it was around the time when henriks dad was almost fully recovered

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
in 06-07 hossa and jagr clicked and hossa led the league in post-allstargame goals for a while.
Wait, are you actually attributing the Rangers '06-07 run to Marcel Hossa?

Considering he had only 10 goals all season, his "post-allstargame" goal lead couldn't have been for very long.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
ebn

I think it's because of chemistry. Last year we started very slow and had to catch up. Jagr didn't click with Gomez or Drury and we were winning like 2-1 when we were winning. It got better but for some reason in all three years and before actually Rangers don't play well in December a little better in January and then pick it up down the stretch. I guess it's all chemistry finding who plays with who well. Dubinsky was a rookie and played with Jagr then he didn't then they finnally trusted him again.
I think how overall the Rangers finished last year was because of chemistry between Gomez Drury and Jagr. None of the two big signing meshed with Jagr.

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think some of it also has to do with Renney toying with things a little too much and not having enough patience to ride things out to form some chemistry.

Plus, lets not forget - the past two seasons the team has been relatively young and theres always an adjustment period for guys like Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Dawes, etc...

Not to mention all the new faces last year with Gomez and Drury.

I also believe Jagr was in fact "saving it up". I know some of you dont buy that but i do. If you compare the last few weeks of the season to games he played in november and decemeber theres no comparison. Call it arrogance or whatever, he wasnt playing extremely hard and he was letting the game come to him instead of the other way around.

We could see something similar with this year as well. Especially since they are starting overseas and there are more new faces than the past few seasons. Hopefully theyll gel quickly, or at least tread with their head above water until the all-star break.

Theres no doubt they need to start off the year better though.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Wait, are you actually attributing the Rangers '06-07 run to Marcel Hossa?

Considering he had only 10 goals all season, his "post-allstargame" goal lead couldn't have been for very long.
no, im contributing it to jagr shooting the puck at hossa and marcel getting garbage goals.
he led the league for 8 or 9 games and then he didnt score for a couple games and was put on the fourth line again.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Fletch

jeff...

I think Hossa had about 8 goals in from March on. That's a decent number for a post-all star game push.

As to why the Rangers do well post the break - I'd like to know the winning percentage pre and post for the last three seasons All Star Break if anyone has it so I can know exactly how much better they've been.

If it is better, there are numerous possibilities. The teams that are less talented seem to run out of gas eventually and better teams get better as the season moves along. It gets tighter as you move along during the season for many reasons, some of which have been suggested in this e-mail. Additionally, the Rangers have been a relatively healthy team the last three seasons (more so the prior to seasons compared with last season). And by healthy, I'm really talking about Jagr and Lundqvist while much of the defense remained healthy too.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:28 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

Just my two cents.
So the Rangers aren't good enough to beat these other teams if they're at 100% (i.e. the beginning of the season)? I don't buy it. That's not to take anything away from Reg, because it is amazing how well conditioned our guys are. I think it's a mix of chemistry, and desperation that effect our post all star break play. At times, especially early in the season, the team seems, lackadaisical. Almost like someone else will step up, and it's not until after the ASG to turn it up. They're like students writing a term paper, the wait til the last possible second to get it done haha.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:06 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

its because we had avery...
*goes in a corner and cries*

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:49 PM
HeaveHo94