Kris Chucko

Old
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

vCash: 500
Kris Chucko

Hey Flames fans!

Just wondering how he was looking this year, and if he is living up to potential or going to crack the roster? Heard he has been average at best, and what his value is?

Cheers!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
DBU
Bruinwagoner

vCash: 50
I doubt he makes the roster this year.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
For the most part he was a terrible draft choice. He'll be lucky to make the big club in the next couple years, if ever.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
No chance at cracking the flames this year. Still needs time in the minors. I think this year is a big year for him. Needs to prove himself and will need to be an offensive threat in Quad Cities. Had a good second half last year and needs to continue on from last year. I am expecting 20 goals and 50 points from him this year.

At the prospect camp this summer he finally impressed me and looked good I thought. In previous years he looked lost, but this year his skating had improved and he looked more confident then I have seen him. Most fans are never going to like him though and it seems most have given up on him. Definetly to early in my eyes to give up on him and I still feel he could eventually become a 3rd liner.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
No chance at cracking the flames this year. Still needs time in the minors. I think this year is a big year for him. Needs to prove himself and will need to be an offensive threat in Quad Cities. Had a good second half last year and needs to continue on from last year. I am expecting 20 goals and 50 points from him this year.

At the prospect camp this summer he finally impressed me and looked good I thought. In previous years he looked lost, but this year his skating had improved and he looked more confident then I have seen him. Most fans are never going to like him though and it seems most have given up on him. Definetly to early in my eyes to give up on him and I still feel he could eventually become a 3rd liner.
as they did Nystrom... but that can easily be changed... I think he will see an injury recall this year and play in a couple games

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Third line ceiling is nothing to get excited about. After all the hype surrounding him that had him pegged as "power forward upside," some should be realistic about how the organization mishandled him. The fact was recognized that this was a project pick, but they pressured him to go pro, when he was only on third line duty in Minnesota (albeit one of the finest NCAA hockey programs). Then, they moved him directly to AHL, when an overage year in the WHL would've helped him regain his scoring confidence. Why did they go in this direction? Just to fill out a roster spot?

If Chucko ends up being a 3rd or 4th line grinder, good for him. It was still a wasted 1st round pick. Hard to believe that he wouldn't have still been around later, if they wanted him that much.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Third line ceiling is nothing to get excited about. After all the hype surrounding him that had him pegged as "power forward upside," some should be realistic about how the organization mishandled him. The fact was recognized that this was a project pick, but they pressured him to go pro, when he was only on third line duty in Minnesota (albeit one of the finest NCAA hockey programs). Then, they moved him directly to AHL, when an overage year in the WHL would've helped him regain his scoring confidence. Why did they go in this direction? Just to fill out a roster spot?

If Chucko ends up being a 3rd or 4th line grinder, good for him. It was still a wasted 1st round pick. Hard to believe that he wouldn't have still been around later, if they wanted him that much.
The flames wanted to develop him themselves. Obviously they were dissapointed with his role in Minnesota and felt he wouldn't be doing any good in staying. Sure a year in the 'dub may have helped, but the flames felt better keeping him close to the organization and developing him the way they wanted.

Was it the right decision? Tough to say. I do agree with you in that a year in Kamloops would have been good for him. Really interested in seeing what he does this year.

Old
09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
chriss_co

it doesn't matter if kris chucko played in the WHL... his skills will only translate so far.. if he doesnt play as an offensive-minded player and doesnt have the skills to do so, playing in the whl wont make a difference.. he'd end up in the AHL eventually and show that playing in the whl and perhaps scoring alot was more show than truth

the organization may have tried to portray him as a powerforward but most fans knew going in that he was a 3rd liner at best and that zajac was the only reason his point totals were so high in salmon arm... calgary should have drafted zajac rather than trading down and then saying they got the player from salmon arm that they really wanted...

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
then saying they got the player from salmon arm that they really wanted...
yeah what a ******** that was......

original question: Bust

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 01:07 AM
flamesfan12

Yeah trading Zajac for Chucko, Boyd and Prust was just brutal. I like Zajac, but I don't think you can question the trade.

Old
09-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
The flames wanted to develop him themselves. Obviously they were dissapointed with his role in Minnesota and felt he wouldn't be doing any good in staying.
We've touched upon this subject before here. IIRC, somebody who was based in Minnesota, and/or was very familiar with their program, said that there was pressure from the Flames on Chucko almost from the very beginning. Of course nobody would've been pleased with him on a third line checking role, but this is an elite squad. It could've been a chicken or egg situation. He wasn't performing to expecations either because he wasn't ready for an expanded role with the desire to go pro was too great or the adjustment to college life, and its temptations, made for a difficult transition into adulthood.

Quote:
it doesn't matter if kris chucko played in the WHL... his skills will only translate so far.. if he doesnt play as an offensive-minded player and doesnt have the skills to do so, playing in the whl wont make a difference.. he'd end up in the AHL eventually and show that playing in the whl and perhaps scoring alot was more show than truth
The rationalization for allowing him a year in the Dub was because he had taken an unusual path. He was drafted from Jr. B team, where he was presumably a star. Nothing earth-shaking. Then, he went on to the NCAA to one of the top hockey universities in the country. He did not distinguish himself there, on a third line role, as was already discussed. From there, it was directly to the AHL prematurely. None of this can be denied. That first year did nothing for his development. That was why a year in Kamloops (or wherever) would've allowed him to regain his scoring confidence, against players in his age group, as opposed to a year floundering against better-seasoned prospects and former NHLers.

Quote:
the organization may have tried to portray him as a powerforward but most fans knew going in that he was a 3rd liner at best and that zajac was the only reason his point totals were so high in salmon arm... calgary should have drafted zajac rather than trading down and then saying they got the player from salmon arm that they really wanted...
This assessment is correct, but not sure that most fans felt that way. At least on this board, there was always this anticipation that Chucko was the new Shanahan and Pelech was the second coming of Chara. Some have the mentality that all Flames prospects are great, until traded or released. In fact, one of them was a previous mod on this board.

Old
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Yeah trading Zajac for Chucko, Boyd and Prust was just brutal. I like Zajac, but I don't think you can question the trade.
Chucko and Prust are very replaceable 4th liners. They are nothing special because there are million guys that do what they do. I like Boyd but I don't think he'll become the player Zajac is even right now, so I'd take Zajac over those 3 in a second.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Chucko and Prust are very replaceable 4th liners. They are nothing special because there are million guys that do what they do. I like Boyd but I don't think he'll become the player Zajac is even right now, so I'd take Zajac over those 3 in a second.
What has Zajac done??? I am not saying he isnt a good young player but what ahs he done to give him such hype?

NJ brings in veteran centers this offseason. To me that shows lkack of faith in him. Until he is a 50+ point player with a + record...

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I like Boyd but Zajac has already played to full seasons and gotten 42 points and then 34 points. He's already accomplished more than those other 3 combined. Besides, I think he plays a lot of wing and not just centre.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Ronald Pagan

Quote:
This assessment is correct, but not sure that most fans felt that way. At least on this board, there was always this anticipation that Chucko was the new Shanahan and Pelech was the second coming of Chara. Some have the mentality that all Flames prospects are great, until traded or released. In fact, one of them was a previous mod on this board.
Pardon my french but that's a load of steaming crap. Flames fans are probably some of the most skeptical of their prospects. I have NEVER seen anyone compare Chucko to anything higher than a second liner. Every Flames fan I have seen gives him a third line upside at best. Pelech was NEVER thought of a future #1 dman like you suggest.

As Jiri would say, what a load of bunk.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Hyde

^^^ Agree 100%.

As for this thread, I'll say the same thing I always say about Chucko:

"This is an important year for Chucko and I am excited in seeing what he does."

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Which one of these guys is going to be better than Zajac?

Prospects like Chucko and Prust are dime a dozen.

Boyd may become something but so far he has shown he is not close to Zajac....

Old
09-09-2008, 06:37 PM
R U A Flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
None

R U A Flamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
flamesfan12

Quote:

Prospects like Chucko and Prust are dime a dozen.

Boyd may become something but so far he has shown he is not close to Zajac....
It's asset management as far as I am concerned. I see Boyd and Zajac both as 2nd liners. If Chucko and Prust can become the 3rd and 4th liners then we get 3 nhlers to 1. Zajac has shown more for sure, but I really feel Boyd can be just as good.

Old
09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Hyde

^^^ You would.

Have to agree with your post, although I'll take it further and say outright Boyd will be better then Zajac.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
Pardon my french but that's a load of steaming crap. Flames fans are probably some of the most skeptical of their prospects. I have NEVER seen anyone compare Chucko to anything higher than a second liner. Every Flames fan I have seen gives him a third line upside at best. Pelech was NEVER thought of a future #1 dman like you suggest.

As Jiri would say, what a load of bunk.
Then you must not have visited here often after these two were drafted. Skepticism on those two didn't arise on this board until long after the fact.

Old
09-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
It's asset management as far as I am concerned. I see Boyd and Zajac both as 2nd liners. If Chucko and Prust can become the 3rd and 4th liners then we get 3 nhlers to 1. Zajac has shown more for sure, but I really feel Boyd can be just as good.
yeah....i am sure you would trade a Cadillac for a Ford Tempo and two Pinto....
I guess they all can be functional

Old
09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Ronald Pagan

Quote:
Then you must not have visited here often after these two were drafted. Skepticism on those two didn't arise on this board until long after the fact.
Pure garbage.

I did 'visit' here when they were drafted. Look at my profile. The burden of proof is on you. Show me where most flames fans were gushing over either Chucko or Pelech.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Pure garbage.

I did 'visit' here when they were drafted. Look at my profile.
Maybe, but you didn't post in the thread, linked below, to show where you stood.

Quote:
The burden of proof is on you. Show me where most flames fans were gushing over either Chucko or Pelech.
This is gonna be fun!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=271705

Canucks fan/thread starter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic View Post
People outside the Flames don't really know much about this guy, but I've seen this guy play. The guy is a pure stud. His game is feisty, and exactly the type of player Sutter loves, and the Flames will love. His offensive upside gets really underrated around here, infact everywhere. He loves to crash the net, and has very solid hitting skills. His potential is very underrated itself. Chucko is DOWNRIGHT NASTY! I've seen him lay out people two years older than him, and the kid stills need to fill out. The only downfall I see in Chucko is that he needs to fill out a little more, he needs to stop being over zelous, and that he needs to get a little more accuracy on his wrist shot.

As for a NHL comparision to go... I'd say Adam Deadmarsh(Exacty clone!). I picture Chucko as a top 50 prospect in the NHL, and IMO his talent is good enough one day for him to end up as a first or second line power forward who plays similiar to Adam Deadmarsh. Chucko IMO is your best prospect.

As a Canucks fan I really envy that you guys picked up Chucko as I had him a riser in the 2004 draft.
Minnesota Gophers fan:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Chucko was not a checking line player. That line played godawful and looked like a checking line. We needed Chucko, Guyer and Howe to score. That line point wise was a giant disapointment.

As far as Chucko's college career. The thing that held him back was himself. I think when he played with Irmen and Potulny he looked better. There was no time to think. Get them the puck crash the net. Clean up garbage. Plain and simple. He had no other worries.

Last year he had to think, react and play the game. He can do that very well. But instead of simplifing the game. He made it too complicated on himself. He was not shooting the puck. He was not crashing as hard as he can. Just looked like he was trying to play a perfect game. When his style is going down low, hitting and getting a bouce to go your way. Ugly, but very effective hockey.

If he can relax, Play within himself has some great tools. He needs to shoot more, pass less and crash the net more.
Level-headed Canucks fan:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post

So hes not skilled enough to play on the top 6, but hes not fast enough to play on a checking line......
As per my prior reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
Well Lucia had no problems with Chucko but he was not happy with Sutter and the Flames for all the pressure to sign.
CalPuck staffer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
So he has Ryan Smyth skill. Cool.

Back down to Earth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Given a bigger role? Played fantastic? When? Chucko did squat last season with the Gophers and his role on the team reflected that. He was a plumber and I doubt he ever becomes more than that. Here's to hoping though.........
Still more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
You are correct in that. But how many guys have as little success as he had in college and end up being solid pros. Most guys who put up his stats end up in the ECHL or worse. And really, its not just about his stats, he never looked like he wanted to put in the work to get better and he never really looked like he knew what was going on when he was on the ice.
Cal Puck regular:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
an Ethan Moreau type player..which IMO is a good thing.

We must give credit where it was due:
Quote:
Chucko was Sutter's experiment that failed ....he didn't know that the NHL was changing at the time.

Yeah, there is still hope but the sign is not good.
Right all along.

Regular on thiss board:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Two guys I would compare Kris Chucko to would be Andrew Ladd and Dustin Penner. The Ladd comparison may be a stretch though.
Yeah, uh huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
Chucko will turn out like the majority of Goofer prospects, maybe a season or two lingering around the edges of the NHL then ... beer league. What's sad is most of them give their absolute all before moving on. I wonder what Chucko might've done if'n he hadn't of left.
Did this guy have a crystal ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I don't think he will make the Flames this year
That was two years ago, thinking he had a chance to make the NHL roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
but I am certain he is going to be put in a position where he can regain some of his confidence.
It still hasn't happened.

You will see that I was skeptical all along, but hoped that Chucko would find his way. The only "skeptical" Flames fans were DFF, who knew Chucko had 'bust' written on his forehead and me. A similar search on Pelech would require you to lose the smartass attitude and prepare to whip out your MasterCard for a PayPal contribution.

Old
09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Maybe, but you didn't post in the thread, linked below, to show where you stood.

This is gonna be fun!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=271705

Canucks fan/thread starter:

Minnesota Gophers fan:

Level-headed Canucks fan:

As per my prior reference:

CalPuck staffer:

Back down to Earth:

Still more:

Cal Puck regular:

We must give credit where it was due:

Right all along.

Regular on thiss board:

Yeah, uh huh.

Did this guy have a crystal ball?

That was two years ago, thinking he had a chance to make the NHL roster.

It still hasn't happened.

You will see that I was skeptical all along, but hoped that Chucko would find his way. The only "skeptical" Flames fans were DFF, who knew Chucko had 'bust' written on his forehead and me. A similar search on Pelech would require you to lose the smartass attitude and prepare to whip out your MasterCard for a PayPal contribution.
that proved your point that Flames fans were creaming themselves over this kid?... most the guys you quoted saying positive things aren't even Flames fans and most of the negative ones are from Flames fans... if anything it shows how wrong you are

this thread is also from when he left College not got drafted as well

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote