HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where Would You Put Lats?

View Poll Results: Where Would You Put Lats?
1st Line (He was so good when Higgie was injured in 07) 7 3.91%
2nd Line 32 17.88%
3rd Line 108 60.34%
4th Line 15 8.38%
Hamilton (Slow ass ****** needs to work on his skating!!!) 17 9.50%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-07-2008, 11:37 PM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The line where he'll have at least one of Koivu/Sergei Kostitsyn on his line.
exactly....

but Id prefer koivu... the guy is no use on a 3rd or 4th line... he needs to play with koivu in order to develop....playing him on the 4th line wont do him any good...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Lone Rogue

3rd Line, playing more than 10 minutes a game.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Without Sundin:
AKost - Pleks - Kovy
Tanguay - Koivu - Lats
Higgy - Chips - SKost

With Sundin:
Tanguay - Sundin - Kovy
AKost - Plek - SKost
Higgy - Koivu - Lats

Still hoping for scenario #2!
I like both those scenarios.

Latendresse is as far as it gets from being a checker. Third line is totally out of question!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

without sundin;

Kost - Pleks - Kovy
Tangs - Koivu - Lats
Higgy - Chipper - Kost

with sundin;

higgins - sundin - kovalev
tanguay - koivu - lats
kost - pleks - kost

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:45 AM
1UP

Latendresse is, currently, not better than Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins and the Kostitsyns, who make our top 6.

Also, he's not what you could call a plumber. So, his place is on an offensive 3rd line. We sadly do not have a 3rd offensive center at the moment, but I'm pretty sure he could do good stuff with Chipchura.

Although, frankly, the camp might change stuff here. Latendresse surprised people in camp quite often, let's see if he arrives this year a speed demon. That would kick buttocks.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:44 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Latendresse is, currently, not better than Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins and the Kostitsyns, who make our top 6.

Also, he's not what you could call a plumber. So, his place is on an offensive 3rd line. We sadly do not have a 3rd offensive center at the moment, but I'm pretty sure he could do good stuff with Chipchura.

Although, frankly, the camp might change stuff here. Latendresse surprised people in camp quite often, let's see if he arrives this year a speed demon. That would kick buttocks.
You're forgetting Plekanec.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:37 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You're forgetting Plekanec.

I knew i was forgetting someone.

The season better start soon.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He seems to play his best with Koivu (no surprise), but I think he'd fit nicely with Chipchura too? Anyway, I'm content to let training camp help cast illumination on where players should play.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:04 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He seems to play his best with Koivu (no surprise), but I think he'd fit nicely with Chipchura too? Anyway, I'm content to let training camp help cast illumination on where players should play.
I want a two-way third line if we don't get Sundin, Latendresse and Chipchura on the same line can be problematic if they have to check forwards with a lot of speed. Higgins-Chipchura-S. Kostitsyn is the best third line we can fashion, Lats can perform with Koivu in a top 6 six roll, hopefully with A. Kost on RW.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

At this point in his career, I think he's best suited as a 3rd scoring line RW. Preferably beside Koivu.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:49 AM
GoHabs20

hamilton

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Judge Sauer*

Carbo's going to roll three offensive lines this coming season so no need to bump Lats up to the second or first, he'll do fine on the third line.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post
Carbo's going to roll three offensive lines this coming season so no need to bump Lats up to the second or first, he'll do fine on the third line.
If we get Sundin, he will. Otherwise, he'll have two offensive and two defensive lines as we don't have 3 offensive centers.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

3rd. Not many more options, I don't think he beats our top 6's wingers and a guy like that has to play as much as he can...

He's not in a good situation in any way. Totally roadblocked in a way, and in another way he doesn't show enough flash to warrant moving someone to put him on the top 6.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:20 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
If we get Sundin, he will. Otherwise, he'll have two offensive and two defensive lines as we don't have 3 offensive centers.
Chipchura

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Bullsmith

I'd like to give him a real shot (10 games at least) with Koivu, especially if Tanguay's on the other wing.

edit- If I try and post more than single sentence or two, the post doesn't work. Anyone know why?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Puckhead58*

I think he needs a solid year in Hamilton to get his skating up to grade and to improve his game. The only time he has played well the last 2 seasons was when he was on a top line with Koivu and even then he only played well for a few games and was invisible shortly afterwards.

I think he needs to have a good season in Hamilton where he has no pressure on him. He can work on his skating and his physical game so when he does come back up to Montreal, he will be a big power forward who can skate and put up points.

We put him in the Habs lineup WAYYY too early. There aren't many players who are good enough to make the jump from Junior to the NHL, and Lats certainly wasn't good enough to make that kind of a jump.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Toro

I think lats may start on koivu's line along with s Kost or Tanguay but who knows. whatever happens Carbo has to make 3 scoring lines cause thats what he has to work with. Just not 3 offensive centers. If sundin comes to town then i would see lats on the 3rd line probably with Koivu but i bet carbo will try many combinations till it looks right.Also im not so sure that Chipchura will start the season ahead of Lapierre on the depth chart at center. Chipchura will most likely start on the 4th line as long as Sundin doesn't sign. Cause that would probably spell his return to Hamilton.

Last edited by Toro: 09-08-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Habitants

Tanguay-koivu-Lats

2nd line. its time for him to shine! he has to show up this year! he is supposed to socre goals so stick him with koivu who he has played well with and tanguay. they will feed him the puck and all he needs to do is post up and shoot everything he gets! i want to see 200+ shots from him!

if it does not work then stick him with chips and move on

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I think he needs a solid year in Hamilton to get his skating up to grade and to improve his game. The only time he has played well the last 2 seasons was when he was on a top line with Koivu and even then he only played well for a few games and was invisible shortly afterwards.

I think he needs to have a good season in Hamilton where he has no pressure on him. He can work on his skating and his physical game so when he does come back up to Montreal, he will be a big power forward who can skate and put up points.

We put him in the Habs lineup WAYYY too early. There aren't many players who are good enough to make the jump from Junior to the NHL, and Lats certainly wasn't good enough to make that kind of a jump.

Read this thread and you would know that Lats can not go to hamilton

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:42 AM
zurg999

I really hope A Kost gets to be the triggerman on someones right wing this season.

With that in mind the logical fit would be with Tanguay and Koivu. I think we could see 35 and maybe more goals from him there, as a pure finisher.

That leaves Lats for the 3rd because Pleks and Kovy will need a skill player to complement their line, logically S Kost.

Lats Higgins Chip is the way I see it going. Nice big line to throw out after two skilled lines. No weakness I see in terms of two way play, as both Higgins and Chip are strong defensive players.

Nice thing about the above is that it keeps everyone in position, with the exception of S Kost who's listed as a LW but has played a lot of RW.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Without Sundin:
AKost - Pleks - Kovy
Tanguay - Koivu - Lats
Higgy - Chips - SKost

With Sundin:
Tanguay - Sundin - Kovy
AKost - Plek - SKost
Higgy - Koivu - Lats

Still hoping for scenario #2!
Forget about Sundin but your initial lineup is very interesting. I think an upgrade from Chips would be even better (Nylander, Lang type player) and we would have three very solid, balanced lines with a 4th (Laps, Begin, Laraque, Kosto) that's also very important.

If a decent 3rd line center is not available, sign Shanahan and move Higgins to center... very good 3rd line.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Jakomyte

Based on all the little comments I've heard from Gainey and Carbonneau during the offseason, this is what I expect the lines to be:

Andrei-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Latendresse-Chipchura-Sergei
Begin/Lapierre/Kostopolous/Laraque

If you want to number the lines, I guess that would put him on the 3rd.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
3rd Line, playing more than 10 minutes a game.
People should not get their hopes up for much more than this. Line chemistry can make all the difference, and it's not unreasonable to hope for/expect it to. But talent still factors in there. Likely, what's probably "best for his development" (something mentiond often here) will come in second to what's best for the club/what the club is when it's at its best. And I would expect that to be Lats on the 3rd line.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I want a two-way third line if we don't get Sundin, Latendresse and Chipchura on the same line can be problematic if they have to check forwards with a lot of speed. Higgins-Chipchura-S. Kostitsyn is the best third line we can fashion, Lats can perform with Koivu in a top 6 six roll, hopefully with A. Kost on RW.
Total agreement - good lines.

I thought having Lats on his wing did as much good for Koivu as vice versa. With Gui going to the corner & hanging tough around the end boards it let Koivu set up more in the offensive zone and although Latendresse isn't a hitting machine he made room for Saku. The only problem is that with both those players you really want shorter shifts, whereas with A. Kost I'd like if he had a bit more rope.

If Chipchura can pull his weight, well, we'll have as dynamic a third line as any in the league.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote