Notices

Morris

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Flamesfan 26

vCash: 500
Morris

There has been a lot of talk about Morris being on the block. Now as a long time Flames fan nothing hurt worse than seeing Morris leave Calgary. Do you think that Sutter will try and re-aquire him.

Here is my proposal

To COL
Turek
Lydman
Conroy
Trubachev

To CGY
Morris
Hinote
Moore

Old
02-23-2004, 05:51 PM
mandingo

I'd be extremely surprised if the Avs trade Morris, especially now that they've traded away Skoula.

Old
02-23-2004, 07:15 PM
vega007

Morris doesn't want to come back and play in Cowtown. As a Calgarian for life, can you really blame him?

Old
02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
Morris doesn't want to come back and play in Cowtown. As a Calgarian for life, can you really blame him?
Derek Morris is from Red Deer, or more specificly, Sylvan Lake.

Old
02-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

At $3.5 million, I believe Sutter would be more interested in getting another, cheaper defenseman.

Calgary needs a better veteran defenseman to work the PP. They should take a look at signing Oleg Tverdovsky, IMO. We wouldn't have to give up an asset for him, and he probably wouldn't cost $3.5 million.

Calgary tried to sign Berard, Sutter wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't ATLEAST take a look at Tver.

Old
02-23-2004, 09:54 PM
vega007

I meant, as a Calgarian for life, I can't blame him.

So we trade Morris because we can't afford to keep him. We get Drury in return but have to trade him because we can't afford to keep him. We get Warrener in return and we sure as hell won't be able to afford to keep him, even though he's clearly the leader of the team and our best defenceman.

We trade Joe Newy because we can't afford to keep him. We get Iginla in return. Anyone see a pattern here? What's the point of playing a game like this when you can't win?

Old
02-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

So we trade Morris because we can't afford to keep him. We get Drury in return but have to trade him because we can't afford to keep him. We get Warrener in return and we sure as hell won't be able to afford to keep him, even though he's clearly the leader of the team and our best defenceman.

We trade Joe Newy because we can't afford to keep him. We get Iginla in return. Anyone see a pattern here? What's the point of playing a game like this when you can't win?
Ya, exactly.

Might as well fold the cards and dissolve the franchise.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:21 PM
vega007

Seriously man......whats the point in playing cards if you don't have a full deck? Of if one team gets to pick the aces out of the deck before the deal?

It's absolutely integral we get an equal system. There's a reason that the NFL is so poplular.......the Bengals have the same chance as the Pats of winning the next Superbowl...

Old
02-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Seriously man......whats the point in playing cards if you don't have a full deck? Of if one team gets to pick the aces out of the deck before the deal?
Best the Flames can hope for is being dealt a few Joker wild cards, even under a new NHL. That's where drafting becomes of tantamount importance.

I doubt they continue otherwise. To continue the analogy, they're sitting on a House of Cards.

Old
02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
kruezer

Quote:

No offence bro, but you're just realizing this now? Old news, Old news.

Old
02-24-2004, 12:06 AM
kruezer

BTW, I don't think Sutter can add any more salary, so it must be taken into consideration. I think that deal could work, if you remove one of Hinote/Moore and Conroy

Old
02-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Good NFL analogy. Except for the fact that with the exception of last year, the Bengals were lucky to win more than 10 games in the last 5 years.

And what is the point of playing when you're at a disadvantage? It's better than not playing at all. I'm Canadian and I love hockey. I'll take it in the way I can get it.

Old
02-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
And I'd love to have Morris back but I can't see it happening. He was my favourite Flame and although he was inconsistent, he was a really good D. Man, Calgary needs some kind of similar defense though, especially one with a big shot and powerplay ability.

Imagine how easy things would be if we didn't have Turek's contract saddling the team?

Old
02-25-2004, 09:00 AM
flamesfanont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche 26
There has been a lot of talk about Morris being on the block. Now as a long time Flames fan nothing hurt worse than seeing Morris leave Calgary. Do you think that Sutter will try and re-aquire him.

Here is my proposal

To COL
Turek
Lydman
Conroy
Trubachev

To CGY
Morris
Hinote
Moore
Done and done!

Old
02-25-2004, 11:56 AM
st_roland

Quote:

Here is my proposal

To COL
Turek
Lydman
Conroy
Trubachev

To CGY
Morris
Hinote
Moore

Awful Incarnate. :dazzle:

Old
02-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:

Here is my proposal

To COL
Turek
Lydman
Conroy
Trubachev

To CGY
Morris
Hinote
Moore
I wouldn't do it. This would take Calgary right out of the playoff race and give up Lydman, a very good defensemen, and Trubachev I very good prospect.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Fire

Quote:
Since you hate Calgary so much why don't you move to Edmonton and cheer for the Oilers. We don't need fans like you.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:23 PM
vega007

Are you kidding? Edmonton is even more of a ****hole than Calgary.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Hitman*

Quote:

Warrener wants to stay in Calgary. He loves it here and he has family here. His contract isn't exactly outrageous. What makes you think he wants to leave Calgary? Just because you sat in your basement for your life in Calgary and didn't experience anything here doesn't mean that other people don't.

And we traded Morris because we needed scoring help and he was our best asset to trade. It wasn't because we couldn't afford to keep him.

You have this wierd anti-Calgary bias thing going on. Maybe you should actually experience the city.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:37 PM
vega007

I never said Warrener wanted to leave Calgary. He seems to LOVE it, not just like it. Remember the press conference when he showed up wearing a cowboy hat, and said he was on his way to the Stampede? That's the kind of thing I LOVE to see.

Calgary is a great city, but if I was a 22 year old single guy playing in the NHL, @#*(&^@#% Alberta is the last place I'd want to be.

You see my point now?

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 02-27-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old
02-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Hitman*

Quote:
I never said Warrener wanted to leave Calgary. He seems to LOVE it, not just like it. Remember the press conference when he showed up wearing a cowboy hat, and said he was on his way to the Stampede? That's the kind of thing I LOVE to see.

Calgary is a great city, but if I was a 22 year old single guy playing in the NHL, #$%*#&$%# Alberta is the last place I'd want to be.

You see my point now?
No. Warrener is single, and you can believe that guys like Shane Doan would love to play in Alberta.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 02-27-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old
02-27-2004, 03:45 PM
vega007

Lets just let it go. My point was, why do you think guys like Val Bure and Mark Savard wanted out? Because Calgary is not the most beautiful city in the world, the weather is not very good, and the nightlife is seriously lacking.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
My point was, why do you think guys like Val Bure and Mark Savard wanted out
I think Savard wanted out because of a conflict with the coach and not getting enough playing time. I haven't seen a single shred of evidence that would suggest he didn't like the city.

It would appear that part of the reason Bure wanted out was because his actress wife didn't like the city. Not sure that Bure had any problem with it or not...

Old
02-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Hitman*

Quote:
Lets just let it go. My point was, why do you think guys like Val Bure and Mark Savard wanted out? Because Calgary is not the most beautiful city in the world, the weather is not very good, and the nightlife is seriously lacking.
Savard and Gilbert had issues, and Val Bure wanted to go because he couldn't spend that much time with his wife.

Calgary is far better looking than most NHL cities (except the cement parking lot known as LA). And the weather is similar to most NHL cities. Plus, we have the advantage of chinooks.

And from what you've mentioned about Calgary nightlife, its quite obvious you need to get out more.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Snakeeye

Little advice Vega: You mom's basement will never be where the cool kids hang out. Try going outside sometime.

I believe Valerina punched his ticket out of town via problems with the coaches as well. I seem to recal him stating that he didnt care what the coach wanted, he would play his game his way.

Closed Thread