HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks' Schneider would look good as a King

Old
09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Luongo2008*

vCash: 500
Ducks' Schneider would look good as a King

Quote:
The New York Post reported last week the Ducks might be interested in veteran free agent winger Brendan Shanahan, 39, but the Ducks don't even have the salary cap room yet to bring back Teemu Selanne, their own veteran free agent winger.

Ducks GM Brian Burke says there's no truth to that report. And Shanahan is expected to return for his third season with the New York Rangers.

It's no secret Burke has been shopping veteran defenseman Mathieu Schneider ($5.6 million salary) so the team can re-sign Selanne, a future Hall of Famer, before training camp opens in mid-September.

I have a solution. The Kings, who are well under the salary-cap floor of $40.7 million for 2008-09, should acquire Schneider - a former King who still lives in Manhattan Beach - so Commissioner Gary Bettman will allow them to play this season.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...7-dodgers-rbis

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
hockeyfan99ss*

your insightfullness is astounding.

you should be followed and all of your words documented for further unheralded truths so we can learn more about what we cant figure out using common sense.

hockeyfan99ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:13 PM
BoltThrower

Send a message via AIM to BoltThrower Send a message via Yahoo to BoltThrower
I don't want Schneider for the amount he's making. The cap floor situation will work out fine, people who are spreading that crap about "needing to reach the cap floor" aren't paying enough attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lombardi
Have no fear, says Los Angeles general manager Dean Lombardi, the Kings will make it to the NHL's salary "floor" of $40.7 million in player payroll before opening night.

However, the financial formula will not include, contrary to rumors in recent weeks, taking high-priced goalie Nikolai Khabibulin off Chicago's hands, or dealing away budding superstar forward Anze Kopitar.

"Some of the stuff that goes around is just crazy," said Lombardi. "Like Kopitar. We're going to trade our best young player to get to the floor? If the people who start that stuff would put just two cents worth of brains into thinking about it first . . .

"But that's the kind of stuff that gets out there, and then we had to respond to it, just to quell the masses."
SOURCE

Now on why I don't want Schneider back in LA. He's grossly overpaid for what he's worth. Acquiring him would require giving assets to out chief rival. As far as I'm concerned, the Ducks can rot in hell with Schneider's bloated contract. I don't want to give them any cap relief. Let some other team (or no other team) help them out.

Only way it works in my mind is if the Duck waive Schneider and we get him at a discount with the Ducks still on the hook for half his contract. Otherwise, no thank you.

BoltThrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
FromChaos22

90 posts>>>>>>2,042 posts. Add 77 posts to this side per everyday after this post.

this has been talked about countless times. If you would read things rather than just post ****, you would know.

FromChaos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
90 posts>>>>>>2,042 posts. Add 77 posts to this side per everyday after this post.

this has been talked about countless times. If you would read things rather than just post ****, you would know.
I know what he said was wrong, but I feel its fair to mention that just because someone has fewer posts doesn't mean they are worth any less or their contributions are less important, even though the ratio for good posters with less post count compared to the low post counting bad posters is terrible.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The OP isn't saying anything. He's quoting an article from a journalist that said journalist wrote in the first person. Tough to comprehend, I know.

Anyway this is pretty pointless blather. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to go "the Ducks are over the cap! And the Kings are under the cap! Perhaps there is a deal to be made!". It's the Khabibulin to the Kings stuff all over again.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I wouldn't be surprised if Schneider is a King again by the end of the week.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:45 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltThrower View Post
Now on why I don't want Schneider back in LA. He's grossly overpaid for what he's worth. Acquiring him would require giving assets to out chief rival. As far as I'm concerned, the Ducks can rot in hell with Schneider's bloated contract. I don't want to give them any cap relief. Let some other team (or no other team) help them out.
I understand the thinking that many people have in not wanting to help out your closest rival, but I think at this point the move needs to be looked at in what the Kings would realistically have to give up to get Schneider compared to what they could get if they acquired him and then flipped him to another team at the deadline.

If the Ducks hadn't won the Cup before, I could really understand the not wanting to help them, because who would want to help your rival when they could use the cap relief you're giving them to add players that could help them win the Cup. But they've won it already, and the Kings need to do what they need to do in order to get themselves into a position where they're going to be able to compete for a Cup. Holding a grudge or refusing to do business with someone just because they're a rival will do nothing to help the Kings improve.

Hypothetically say the Kings could get Schneider for their 4th round pick because the Ducks need to dump him, Schneider has a good season and at the trade deadline the Kings are able to flip him for a top prospect or a couple of picks, maybe a 1st rounder if someone gets desperate near the deadline (which usually happens). You wouldn't trade a 4th round pick for a 1st round pick? Or a 4th rounder for a 2nd and a prospect?

Yes, it's likely other teams could top my hypothetical offer but Burke already waived Bryzgalov instead of hanging on to him and trying to trade him for something of value because he promised he'd get him a chance to play. Perhaps Burke might also do Schneider a favor and trade him to LA so he wouldn't have to move his wife and I think he's got a lot of kids.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Ducks

Quote:
I don't want Schneider for the amount he's making. The cap floor situation will work out fine, people who are spreading that crap about "needing to reach the cap floor" aren't paying enough attention.

SOURCE

Only way it works in my mind is if the Duck waive Schneider and we get him at a discount with the Ducks still on the hook for half his contract. Otherwise, no thank you.
Why are you worried about Schneider being maybe 1-1.5 million overpayed when his contract is only for one season? Also, he had a great season last year, if I were in the Kings situation I'd be really want this move.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
BoltThrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
Why are you worried about Schneider being maybe 1-1.5 million overpayed when his contract is only for one season? Also, he had a great season last year, if I were in the Kings situation I'd be really want this move.
Simple...I don't care how bad we supposedly need Schneider (I'd rather have Jay McKee, more responsible in his own zone) I'm not helping the Ducks if there's a gun pointed at my head. You guys can keep Schneid and his contract, I'd rather burn in hell than help you guys out. You want to put him on waivers and pay half his salary while he plays for us, that'll do. Otherwise, no thanks.

Just sayin.

Old
09-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Kopi The King
It's baaaaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Schneider is a King again by the end of the week.
Though I don't know when it will happen, I happen to know it will happen, UNLESS someone over pays for Schneider's services or someone over pays for someone else on the Ducks roster that has a movable contract, thus freeing up cap space for them and allowing them to get under the cap.

Kopi The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi The King View Post
Though I don't know when it will happen, I happen to know it will happen, UNLESS someone over pays for Schneider's services or someone over pays for someone else on the Ducks roster that has a movable contract, thus freeing up cap space for them and allowing them to get under the cap.
It's pretty much been done for awhile unless Montreal comes in...

Old
09-09-2008, 05:26 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Simple...I don't care how bad we supposedly need Schneider (I'd rather have Jay McKee, more responsible in his own zone) I'm not helping the Ducks if there's a gun pointed at my head. You guys can keep Schneid and his contract, I'd rather burn in hell than help you guys out. You want to put him on waivers and pay half his salary while he plays for us, that'll do. Otherwise, no thanks.

Just sayin.
So you'd rather take on McKee, who has 2 years on his contract left and likely wouldn't have as much value if the Kings were to decide to trade him at the deadline over Schneider?

Like I said in my other post, the Ducks have already won their Cup, being bitter and refusing a trade with them that could seriously help the Kings further the rebuild (assuming they then trade Schneider at the deadline) doesn't help the Kings improve. The Kings need to do everything they can do to improve the team, if it means trading with the Ducks, so be it.

If the Ducks put Schneider on waivers and the Kings were to claim him, they wouldn't be able to trade him without offering him to other teams that put in waiver claims first. You know other teams besides LA would put in waiver claims. That means LA would pick up Schneider and then not be able to move him for assets at the deadline. That's an even worse idea than trading like a 4th or 5th rounder for him and moving him later in the season for better assets than what they gave up to get him.

Old
09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:

Just sayin.
And that is a reason why, amongst many other reasons I'm sure, you're twiddling away on a message board with the rest of us instead of collecting Lombardi's paychecks.

Last edited by kenabnrmal: 09-09-2008 at 07:16 AM.
kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Oshie97

Actually I think BoltThrower may have a point. McKee is more of a Defensive d-man than Schneider. LA has a lot of young d-men coming up. With McKee having 2 yrs left he could be a good mentor for the youth movement. That may help the teams future more than a trade at the deadline. I don't see anyone giving a 1st for Schneider. I don't know if the Blues are still trying to trade McKee still or not though.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:56 AM
BoltThrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
So you'd rather take on McKee, who has 2 years on his contract left and likely wouldn't have as much value if the Kings were to decide to trade him at the deadline over Schneider?

Like I said in my other post, the Ducks have already won their Cup, being bitter and refusing a trade with them that could seriously help the Kings further the rebuild (assuming they then trade Schneider at the deadline) doesn't help the Kings improve. The Kings need to do everything they can do to improve the team, if it means trading with the Ducks, so be it.

If the Ducks put Schneider on waivers and the Kings were to claim him, they wouldn't be able to trade him without offering him to other teams that put in waiver claims first. You know other teams besides LA would put in waiver claims. That means LA would pick up Schneider and then not be able to move him for assets at the deadline. That's an even worse idea than trading like a 4th or 5th rounder for him and moving him later in the season for better assets than what they gave up to get him.
I get your point for sure Dana, for sure. I just don't want to give anything to those ******** in Anaheim. If we're talking a waiver claim, they're based on record which means at this point, the only team that has any chance of snatching Schneider from us in that situation would be Tampa, who doesn't have near the cap space to pick him up anyway. Also, I don't believe there is any sort of rule in place that would prevent the Kings from dealing Schneider after that. I'm not a CBA expert though so I don't know what happens with his contract if we move a waiver pickup, if his salary is completely on the book with the new team or if the team who originally waived said player (Anaheim)is still on the hook for half his contract.

As far as why I'm not a fan of bringing Schneider over in the first place, it's simple - he could be an asset to the team on the PP as he moves the puck well, but his defensive play leaves a bit to be desired. Schneider was a bit of a train wreck in his own end when he was with the Kings 6+ years ago, and he hasn't improved with age. McKee is better in his own end (+2 on an awful St. Louis team last year), is 8 years younger than Schneider, and his cap hit is at 4 Million instead of the bloated 5.75 Million figure (source - http://www.nhlnumbers.com)Schneider is making. Considering that young defensemen in many cases develop slower than their forward counterparts, having McKee around for two years might not be such a bad idea. It would allow JMFJ or one of the other young D-Men to grow in to their shoes an extra year with a solid veteran around. IMO McKee is a MUCH better choice for the Kings.

Old
09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Actually I think BoltThrower may have a point. McKee is more of a Defensive d-man than Schneider. LA has a lot of young d-men coming up. With McKee having 2 yrs left he could be a good mentor for the youth movement. That may help the teams future more than a trade at the deadline. I don't see anyone giving a 1st for Schneider. I don't know if the Blues are still trying to trade McKee still or not though.
My issue with the post isn't the idea that McKee would be a better fit for the Kings. I don't think he's half the defenseman Schneider is, but that's not the point. Its with this...

Quote:
You guys can keep Schneid and his contract, I'd rather burn in hell than help you guys out.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Kopi The King
It's baaaaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
It's pretty much been done for awhile unless Montreal comes in...
Yup, the whole waiting is because of Burke. Can't fault the guy..... I think it is a smart thing to do because you never know if some guy on another team might get hurt or whatever and then that team could be in a position were they have to look for a D-man. It's just good business on his part to wait till the end and see what he could potentially get, great job by BB.

Kopi The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Yup, the whole waiting is because of Burke. Can't fault the guy..... I think it is a smart thing to do because you never know if some guy on another team might get hurt or whatever and then that team could be in a position were they have to look for a D-man. It's just good business on his part to wait till the end and see what he could potentially get, great job by BB.
Can't fault the guy at all.

Old
09-10-2008, 12:17 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
I wish more Ducks fans thought this rationally.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Randall Graves*

Why would the kings not want Schneider? his value will be alot greater at the trade deadline when teams are looking for a top 3 puck moving defensemen. It makes sense for both sides, and I wouldn't be comfortable with a group of defensemen that young, and no real veteran pressence to speak of to help them

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:12 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Why would the kings not want Schneider? his value will be alot greater at the trade deadline when teams are looking for a top 3 puck moving defensemen. It makes sense for both sides, and I wouldn't be comfortable with a group of defensemen that young, and no real veteran pressence to speak of to help them
The asking price from the Ducks and spending more money on payroll this year than ownership really wants are the only reasons I can think of that the Kings wouldn't want Schneider.

I agree that if Schneider had a good season the Kings would likely be able to get a lot for him at the deadline. The Kings shouldn't have too much trouble scoring (assuming O'Sullivan signs) and I'd imagine Schneider would get some PP time so if he stayed healthy, I could see him putting up good numbers with the Kings. I also think management wouldn't feel real comfortable with Preissing being their most experienced defenseman this season. That said, I don't think the Kings are going to want to give up all that much to get him, nor would they be willing to get into a bidding war to trade for him.

Old
09-10-2008, 02:15 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

The article was terrible. He calls Sarah Palin at the bottom a "Soccer Mom" yet of course she's been called everywhere as a Hockey Mom. That's just bad writing as well as bad editing.

Now that I'm looking at it, it's like a bad news filler. Some of the items aren't even really news worthy anymore. May-Treanor on DWTS has been known for weeks.

Belanger25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
The article was terrible. He calls Sarah Palin at the bottom a "Soccer Mom" yet of course she's been called everywhere as a Hockey Mom. That's just bad writing as well as bad editing.
Youngman is about as big of hack as you will find.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I know what he said was wrong, but I feel its fair to mention that just because someone has fewer posts doesn't mean they are worth any less or their contributions are less important, even though the ratio for good posters with less post count compared to the low post counting bad posters is terrible.
What you really have to look at is ... the date joined and the number of posts

The OP joined August 2008 and already has 2000+ posts
His entire life is this forum

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote