HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington/Toronto Proposal.

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Swervedriver

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Swervedriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
in that case *hangs up the phone*
Good idea!

But knowing the Leafs they'll cave and give one of them up and look stupid for doing so later.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:30 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervedriver
Leaf fans,

The Caps will want Stajan or Colaiacovo. YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO GIVE UP ONE OF THEM. The Caps, or any other team, do not want Brenden Bell. You guys are almost as bad as my brother.
Bad?

He was the top defenseman in the CHL last year and won the Spengler Cup with Canada as a 20 year old a couple months ago.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Swervedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Bad?

He was the top defenseman in the CHL last year and won the Spengler Cup with Canada as a 20 year old a couple months ago.
Ever seen him play on the rock? If you have you'd know what I'm talking about. I've sniffed nicer odors at the dump. This guy just stinks.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:41 PM
bandwagon

Quote:
NO!

My Counter

Tor TOR- Gonchar

To WSH- Antropov, Bell, Kondratiev, 1st and 3rd in 04
I figured you might not want to trade Colaiacovo :p

Old
02-23-2004, 10:42 PM
leafaholix*

I have.

He hasn't been that great... but still managed to be named to the Spengler Cup team.

Along with Marc Popovic (Ducks).

Old
02-23-2004, 10:58 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I have.

He hasn't been that great... but still managed to be named to the Spengler Cup team.

There is no way McPhee doesn't demand Coliaicovo from Toronto.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Swervedriver

Quote:
I have.

Bell has no hockeysense and his positioning is terrible. The NHL is a very fast paced game and he'd freeze on the ice because of all the confusion. If he cant hack it in the AHL what makes you think he could at the NHL level? Why would the Caps deal for that? There's not much, if any, potential with him.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

In that case

Quote:
in that case *hangs up the phone*

Hang up your Cup dreams.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagon
I figured you might not want to trade Colaiacovo :p
*gasp* HOW DID YOU KNOW!? *mind is blown*

Old
02-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
Hang up your Cup dreams.
Gonchar = Cup???

Old
02-23-2004, 11:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

well

Quote:
Gonchar = Cup???
No trades to improve=no cup. I can promise you that much....as much as you can promise no blue chips will be moved for Gonchar.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
There's nothing special about a 20 year old Russian defenseman making the NHL?
Yes, that's nice but that doesn't mean everything. Hudler played 12 games with the Red Wings as a 19 year old but people still question (me included) whether or not he can make it full time in the NHL.

I've seen Kondratiev a few times and I like what I see.

However, in order to get Gonchar you will probably have to give up a pretty good package. Gonchar is one of the best offensive d-man out there, arguably the best.
Plus other teams are looking at him.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Hellsempire

Gonchar will not come easy for any team as the owner has said that he will want a top player for Gonchar... I see Gonchar not moving from the Capitals but most likely Kolzig and Lang... Although Lang's salary is pretty hefty at 5 million for the next 3 years...

Old
02-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
No trades to improve=no cup. I can promise you that much....as much as you can promise no blue chips will be moved for Gonchar.
Gonchar may be the biggest fish in the Pond but he's not the only one and you don't need a 300 dollar composite Rod and Lure to catch some of the others.

Toronto needs a Top 4 to imporve Gonch is a #1 and would be the biggest improvment of them all, but 1 or 2 #4's can be just as good for the Leafs.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sure

Quote:
Gonchar may be the biggest fish in the Pond but he's not the only one and you don't need a 300 dollar composite Rod and Lure to catch some of the others.

Toronto needs a Top 4 to imporve Gonch is a #1 and would be the biggest improvment of them all, but 1 or 2 #4's can be just as good for the Leafs.
If you think you can land em by throwing out average chum for bait. Have all the Glen Wesleys you want...it really worked for you last season.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:22 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Gonchar will not come easy for any team as the owner has said that he will want a top player for Gonchar... I see Gonchar not moving from the Capitals but most likely Kolzig and Lang... Although Lang's salary is pretty hefty at 5 million for the next 3 years...
Lang salary is hefty is it?

He has a 5 pt. lead on Naslund and Kovalchuck for the Art Ross.

Someone tell me, how many players in this league, who's leadership is marginal and whose games are less dimensional make more money than Robert Lang?

What Lang has accomplished this season exhibits a pride and integrity that must be taken into account. Melrose and others have said as much.

He uses his size to his advantage perfectly, scores with the best, and plays good D. Don't say he isn't gritty enough, because how many 6-7 million dollar players won't run at you, or fight you?

Old
02-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
If you think you can land em by throwing out average chum for bait. Have all the Glen Wesleys you want...it really worked for you last season.
Yeah it did acctually Wesley was Solid in Toronto, Housely wasn't and Injuries sucked, we played a tough 7 game series against the equally tough flyers and lost, Philly was so tired out Ottawa practicly danced right by them in the 2nd round.

The Playoffs are Tricky did anyone expect Anaheim and Minny to be in the western finals? did anyone expect them to beat the Avs and Wings in the 1st rounds? or the stars and Nucks in the 2nd? despite inferior teams on Paper?

like I said Gonchar would be the best help, but at that price it's not worth it down the road. so I'll save the Money on that super rod and that brand name lure and stick with the old gal and the worms and try to land myself a nice sized trout worth a Photo and a trip to the grill not the Monster Trout with a photo and a date with the Taxodermy.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Swervedriver

Have you Leaf fans realized that Gonchar leads all Defensemen in points so far this season? Does that say anything to you?

Old
02-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Have you Leaf fans realized that Gonchar leads all Defensemen in points so far this season? Does that say anything to you?
Yes I've also noticed his -18

Old
02-23-2004, 11:39 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Have you noticed his league leading ice-time, playing with arguably the worst defensive core in the league? I bet you haven't.

1.Gonchar-49 pts.
2.Pronger- 40.

Gonchar has far and away been the best offensive defenseman over the past three years, maybe five.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:41 PM
BlueBlood17

Quote:
Have you realized that our defence is I believe in the top-3 in the NHL in points scored?

Have you realized that we have a glaring need for a stay-at-home defenceman who can clear the front of the net?

Have you realized that our scouting system has only recently started to draft well and that we can't afford to be giving up the few blue-chippers we might have?

Just as the Caps have every right to demand our top prospects, the Leafs have the right to refuse and decide that they are better off going with alternative options.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:53 PM
bandwagon

Quote:
And have you noticed that he plays for one of the worst teams in the league? By no means is Gonchar very good defensively, but his plus/minus is affected by his horrid team. I wouldn't try and use that too much to detract his value. I mean, Rick Nash has a -25 rating, does that lower his trade value at all? Not really, it's mostly so brutal because the Jackets are an awful team (no offense, blue jackets fans ).

Gonchar is one of the best offensive defensemen in the league, and you're going to have to give a fair bit to get him.

However, I'm not convinced he's the best fit for the Leafs, who need defensive depth moreso than they need another offensive defenseman. At least, IMO.

Old
02-24-2004, 01:00 AM
st_roland

This thread is awesome!

Toronto: Sergei Gonchar, Josef Boumedienne and Michael Nylander
Washinton: Carlo Colaiacovo, Matthew Stajan, and Tomas Kaberle

Reasoning: Should not be enough to ensure a Cup for Toronto, and will hurt them for years to come.

Go sens Go

3 Way Deal Then

To Wsh: Al of Ottawa's Picks

To Tor: Gonchar, Spezza

To Ottawa: A Thank you Card

Sure, sure, we will wait for months and never see the Card

That's not our fault blame Canada Post for that.

We'll make sure it's a nice one too with Pop-Up pictures and a funny Joke, we'll personally sign it with both teams players and managment you can sell it for twice what it was originally worth then.

we'll toss in Trevor Kidd too, he may suffocate inside the envelope but that's not our problem anymore.

Oh my god, i'm still grinning. You guys may be cranky ******** who overvalue youth, but damn that is funny.

Old
02-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Brock

Quote:
Ero's.

Colaiacovo and Kondratiev are 2 of our top 5 prospects.
Two of our top three prospects.

I'm a very big fan of Kondratiev's. He didnt look brutal in the NHL this season, he played awesome in the AHL and since returning to Russia he's been outstanding.

Old
02-24-2004, 06:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
I think you need to look into the prospects a bit, all of them are pretty decent. Now, they're no Colaiacovo, nor Gonchars, but all can play a decent game.

My Offer would be: Kondratiev, Pilar, TOR 1st 2004, TOR 3rd 2004 for Gonchar.

Any more would be detrimental to the Leafs, and not worth doing. As the Fan 590 was saying today, if the Living room floor caves in (Toronto defence), why fix the dining room floor? (Toronto's offence). Gonchar would be great, but he doesn't address Toronto's problem.
you are correct, sir. they are decent. by keeping stajan, steen, and cola( maybe even bell) toronto are holding back the star potential and trading players who's potential is middle of the lineup. by trading an elite defenseman the capitals are looking to get the foundation of their rebuild. if the foundation is star quality, the team can be a winner win it developes. if the foundation is merely decent, then average is the best they can hope for.

i just don't see it. this is only the 2nd elite defenseman to come available at the deadline in the last 10 years. it is a rare occurance.

so...here we are. leafs fans won't pay for gonchar with top prospects, caps fans won't take the "decent" prospects. lets see what the teams end up with...eh?

Closed Thread