HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Is Winchester a Gunner?

Old
09-10-2008, 05:54 AM
turrible
Sens Rising

vCash: 500
Is Winchester a Gunner?

For all those who thought Winchester would get a chance to crack the top six, Hartsburg has confirmed this speculation in today's Citizen.

Quote:
Beginning today, with the opening of Ottawa Senators rookie camp, Winchester will be put in a position to play a top role with the National Hockey League team.
Quote:
"For me, (Winchester) is a guy we are going to give a great opportunity to play with really good players right from the start," Hartsburg said yesterday. "From what I've seen at the prospect camp and last week (playing shinny), and from talking to some of the scouts in the past week, he's not like an 18 or 19-year-old kid just coming out of junior. He has worked extremely hard, he's smart and we're going to give him a chance right away to contribute."
Quote:
Winchester isn't getting ahead of himself. He simply wants to impress as much as possible, beginning with rookie camp, trying to leave a positive impression in the minds of Hartsburg and Murray.

"I've had a few conversations with them, but I just want to make the most of whatever opportunity they give me," Winchester said before taking part in one last pick-up game yesterday. "I'm not really focusing on (where I might play). I'm just focusing on doing all the things I can do. That other stuff is up to the coaching staff and management. The way I look at it right now, I feel like I'm starting over. I feel like it's a fresh start for me."
Senators to find out if Winchester's a gunner

Heatley/Spezza/Winchester is looking like a real possibility.

turrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Cool, it looks like this could be a steal of a signing for Ottawa if he can breakout and have a good year.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Alfie
Heatley
Spezza
Fisher
Vermette
Winchester

I say Heatley needs to carry his own line . He plays with an edge if he has big , strong linemates . Fisher is known for this , Winchester may surprise a lot of people but he is tough and can dig in the corners

Vermette is supposed to become a 60 points player ,playing with Spezz and Alfie gives you that

The bottom 6 includes Kelly and Rutuu as our main weapons . Foligno is set there and can work his way up in the lineup
The rest will have to battle hard for the last 3 spots

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Airborne Troll*

Good news

Can't wait to see him play!

AWESOME NEWS

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:31 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Winchester on the top 6 will make for a long season.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
senators101

Couldn't really be any worse than robitaille.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:40 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
Couldn't really be any worse than robitaille.
This is true. He was better in Colgate than Robosuck.

Old
09-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Last time I checked, the longer the season the better! Winchester will get us to the Finals you guys!

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:59 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
this seems like the organization taunting foligno to pick it up, take that spot.

09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
this seems like the organization taunting foligno to pick it up, take that spot.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I think the only reason Winchester may get the spot ahead of Foligo is age. While both will be "rookies", Winchester is much older and probably will be able to handle the pressure of top line duties.

Starting a young Foligno out on a 3rd line with Kelly/Ruutu wouldn't be a bad idea. For me, that is probably best for his development.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:21 AM
KrazyTea*

Now, now, let's not get too excited over Winchester here yet, we haven't even seen what he's fully capable of yet. Bochenski looked really great for awhile too, let's see how Winchester is doing come December or January, and if he truly has earned a spot.

KrazyTea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I think the only reason Winchester may get the spot ahead of Foligo is age. While both will be "rookies", Winchester is much older and probably will be able to handle the pressure of top line duties.

Starting a young Foligno out on a 3rd line with Kelly/Ruutu wouldn't be a bad idea. For me, that is probably best for his development.
Possibly. I do think that Foligno, playing with Kelly and either Ruutu/Neil would make for a fine 3rd line.

However, I'm not sure that Winchester's age means he can better handle the pressure. Foligno is the son of a well-known former NHL player, who looked great in the OHL, was a first-round pick of a Canadian team (where hockey is really the only game in town), and won a forward spot on that NHL roster for more than half of his first season out of junior. Granted his offense didn't really show up consistently as a rookie, but I don't think I question his ability to handle pressure. The only possible issue with Foligno (for me) would be the brief regression that you often see with young sophomore players who aren't ready to take the next step just yet.

Winchester is an undrafted late bloomer (played in the CJHL but never OHL) with 3 good seasons of NCAA hockey at Colgate under his belt. He's older and likely more mature, but does that mean he can handle the pressure of playing in Ottawa's top-6? Top-9 might be a different story.

But of course, I've never even seen him play!

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Pringles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I think it is more aimed at Zubov and Nikulin to step up and win the spot

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:36 AM
KrazyTea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens fan in Toronto View Post
I think it is more aimed at Zubov and Nikulin to step up and win the spot
They are both definitely not capable of that at this point, Nikulin is obviously closer, but will require a little more fine tuning. And Zubov is still a couple years away from becoming adept at the North American game.

KrazyTea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
No kidding, if he is as skilled as Robitaille I will be very surprised.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTea View Post
Now, now, let's not get too excited over Winchester here yet, we haven't even seen what he's fully capable of yet. Bochenski looked really great for awhile too, let's see how Winchester is doing come December or January, and if he truly has earned a spot.
DARK HORSE CALDER CANDIDATE!

If I recall correctly, halfway through the season we were joking that Bochenski was getting locked in the bus toilet so as to allow Eaves some ice time.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:02 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Dark horse Calder, wasnt that Don Cherry's prediction for Bo?

Winchester is definitely the most intriguing possibility to take the annual Sens Training Camp Surprise award. Do we have any hf-sens board scouts attending the tourney and bringing us recaps?

Perhaps the real question isnt whether he can come in and contribute in the top 6 or 9, but whether we should spend the time developing him for there this year. My first impression of him was that he and foligno could be competing for a similar role too, not that both couldnt stick either.

anxiously awaiting reports ...

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTea View Post
They are both definitely not capable of that at this point, Nikulin is obviously closer, but will require a little more fine tuning. And Zubov is still a couple years away from becoming adept at the North American game.
Anything can happen over a summer. Zubov has been training in Ottawa for a few months, maybe he's bulked up? And besides, these guys have more talent than Winchester, so to say they're not capable is just incorrect.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Hossa

Quote:
"We need some young energy in our top nine forwards," Hartsburg said. "They have to go in there and do a job for us. We're going to give (Winchester), and obviously Foligno, a chance to contribute right away through camp. It's kind of up to them, once you put them there and give them a chance to play with an Alfredsson and a Fisher or whoever. If there's some chemistry there, then we'll see."
That's the quote I liked the most.

Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Told you

So here is my expected lineup

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Vermette - Fisher - Winchester (Next Dustin Penner/Chris Kunitz )
Foligno - Kelly - Shannon
Ruutu - Bass - Neil
XXXX - McAmmond - Donovan

Phillips - Lee
Kuba - Picard
Volchenkov - Smith

Gerber
Auld

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Masterplan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Told you

Ruutu - Bass - Neil

Phillips - Lee
Kuba - Picard
Volchenkov - Smith

Gerber
Auld
I think Zubov would be a better option then Shannon, and having Rutuu and Neil on the 4th playing only 5 minutes a game is almost criminal.

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:30 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
I think Zubov would be a better option then Shannon, and having Rutuu and Neil on the 4th playing only 5 minutes a game is almost criminal.
I could see Neil dropping to the 4th line if he doesn't pick his game up.

I'd like to see a 4th line that can play 8-9 minutes a game, barring intense special teams involvement.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
BigEyedPhish

Heatley is certainly able to carry his own line..

He probably would not hit 50 Goals, but would still get 100 points. Carrying his own line I think he would get 40 Goals and 60 Assists.

When Heatley does not have a center like Spezza,whom he ALWAYS has to pay attention to when Spezza has the puck because Spezza can make unpredictable passes (even to his linemates). I believe this causes Heatley to look Lazy, at least at Even strength he lies in wait instead of running around hitting like Alfredsson does no matter who his linemates are..

Heatley's play is influenced dramatically by who his line mates are, this is why whenever it seems the teams fate rests on his shoulders (Spezza/Fisher etc get hurt) he always seems to step up his game.. Its because we see him with new linemates..

This is one of the reasons why I think Heatley is a brilliant hockey player is because he could have Chemistry with just about anyone (even Chris Kelly). You cannot say this for almost every hockey player.

The one game we saw Heatley with Stillman and Vermette is the best I saw him play in last years playoffs.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Winchester (Next Dustin Penner/Chris Kunitz )
I know (hope) this was a joke, but dont go saying these things before you even see the guy play. And if it wasnt a joke, prepare to be disappointed.

Old
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
bsens

Quote:
Told you

Ruutu - Bass - Neil

Phillips - Lee
Kuba - Picard
Volchenkov - Smith

Gerber
Auld

Ahhhhh Poor Schubert lol

bsens is offline   Reply With Quote