HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CGY-BUF and CGY-FLA PROPOSALS

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Michalek

vCash: 500
CGY-BUF and CGY-FLA PROPOSALS

To Buffalo: d Gauthier , LW Saprykin
To Calgart LW Pyatt , D Campbell

Why it makes sence in my opinion)
Buffalo could use , tough and expirienced Dman , also I believe that on more offensivly gifted team Saprykin would produce way more.
Calgaryhas depth on D , so they can afford to downgrate on this position . Pyatt , strugling through would be a good addition to CGY system . He is a big kid , and is not affraid to go in front of the net

Old
02-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Michalek

Sorry for title. I had deal with FLA in mind too , but Im affarid to be Flamed by both teams fans

Old
02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
Sorry for title. I had deal with FLA in mind too , but Im affarid to be Flamed by both teams fans
Post it anyway, lets see..

Old
02-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Michalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Post it anyway, lets see..
Well CGY would unload same assets like in BUF deal so;
To FLA ; Gauthier ,Saprykin
To Calgary: Odelain, Jokinen
throught...

Old
02-23-2004, 09:55 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:

Why it makes sence in my opinion)
Buffalo could use , tough and expirienced Dman , also I believe that on more offensivly gifted team Saprykin would produce way more.
Calgaryhas depth on D , so they can afford to downgrate on this position . Pyatt , strugling through would be a good addition to CGY system . He is a big kid , and is not affraid to go in front of the net
In both deals the Flames geta good forward in return (Pyatt, Jokinen) without giving up enough. Gauthier is good but a stay at home no4 or no5 is all he is. Pyatt has tons of potential and could become a very good power forward; Jokinen has become a captain and first line center. Saprykin is not enough to offset the difference in either deal.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
In both deals the Flames geta good forward in return (Pyatt, Jokinen) without giving up enough. Gauthier is good but a stay at home no4 or no5 is all he is. Pyatt has tons of potential and could become a very good power forward.

And just what has Pyatt done? You've provided no basis for your assumptions. He's had just as much NHL exposure as Sappy and has accomplished narry a better season, production wise. To say Pyatt has tons of potential and Saprykin doesn't is BS.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:08 PM
HuskyFlames

Pyatt has also been said to play well below his size and also said he doesn't want to play that way. Sappy has shown he can be fiesty and piss people off as well.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:19 PM
kolanos

Pyatt had a red hot start (10 games?), then dissapeared and hasn't done anything since. He needs to demonstrate that he's capable of some level of consistency, not just a hot start then completely depleted after the second week. The Flames are better off keeping Saprykin for now, Campbell isn't worth anything more than a mid-around pick IMO.

As for the Florida deal, I'd probably do it. But I agree with the sentiments that it probably isn't enough for the return.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:34 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
the biggest reason i would not like this deal is that the sabres have, and have had for years, several forwards in saprykin's mold, and far fewer in pyatt's mold
its tough to measure potential, because they obviously both have it, but i think a top power forward is harder to come by than a top skill player
plus, buffalo's prospect list is littered with smallish skill forwards, and lacking in power forwards with offensive upside

i think gauthier has been in every flames proposal ive ever read

Old
02-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Clash*

Quote:
throught...
Well, you were probably best to not have posted it, but don't worry bout bein flamed man. Its part of the growth process and how you'll learn the value of players on these boards.

Anyways, I'll keep it simple. Jokinen is the top line center and team captain for the Cats and Odelein is wearin an A on his sweater now. Those two things are goin to cost more than you're offerin. Maybe replacin Warrener and sendin him home to his drafting team would sastify the Cats in the loss of two of their leaders.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:41 PM
not quite yoda

Pyatt is big, has good hands and oozes potential. He just seems to be unable toput it all together as of yet for a sustained period of time. Saprykin is spirited and hard working and still hasn t been able to outdue Pyatt. IMO Saprykin will be a decent two way checker. Pyatt COULD become much better than that... or not. I would take Pyatt over Saprykin anyday given what I project for them respectively. We can agree to disagree. Flames fans.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
throught...
I am not going to flame you, but I definately would not go for this trade.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:47 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
i dont know enough about saprykn to comment, but gautheir iv always thought of as a 3rd/4th hard hitting stay at home Dman. Lydman interests me more, he has concussion problems i heard, but has skill and replacing gautheir with Lydman would seal the deal for me.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:52 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
throught...
So this is essentially Gauthier for Odelein, Saprykin for Jokinen. I'm not sure how Odelein is doing in FLA right now, so I dunno how fair the d-man swap would be. My gut tells me it wouldn't be good for Calgary. Saprykin for Jokinen is an outright STEAL for Calgary. Flames get a point producer that would tear it up alongside Iginla while the Panthers get a fiesty winger that's mainly an energy guy. Unless Dudley has another Jokinen up his sleeve somewhere, this doesn't happen.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:57 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
i dont know enough about saprykn to comment, but gautheir iv always thought of as a 3rd/4th hard hitting stay at home Dman. Lydman interests me more, he has concussion problems i heard, but has skill and replacing gautheir with Lydman would seal the deal for me.
I haven't heard that before. Buzek was the one with concussion problems and dissapreared from the Flames after last year.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:01 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
I haven't heard that before. Buzek was the one with concussion problems and dissapreared from the Flames after last year.
might be TSN.ca's bad judgement, if it's false i would definatly do Pyatt for him, or pyatt + Campbell for Lydman + Montador/Campbell.

Montador is a big-ish guy who could easily fill in 6th dman or be a great reserve guy, which i understand is his role at the moment.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Pyatt is big, has good hands and oozes potential. He just seems to be unable toput it all together as of yet for a sustained period of time. Saprykin is spirited and hard working and still hasn t been able to outdue Pyatt. IMO Saprykin will be a decent two way checker. Pyatt COULD become much better than that... or not. I would take Pyatt over Saprykin anyday given what I project for them respectively. We can agree to disagree. Flames fans.
Saprykin also oozes potential. Two-way checker? Unlikely. Saprykin will be a scoring winger, I'm confident enough that I'd put money on it. He's one of the most purely skilled forwards on the Flames. Sutter has been quoted as saying that Saprykin can make Iginla a better player.

I like the deal because it gives the Flames more size, something they desperately lack. I think Saprykin and Pyatt are close in value with Gauthier being better than Campbell. Good proposal. If the Sabres added a pick (3rd rounder) I would probably do that deal and I think it would work for both teams. No doubt some Eastern fans will underrate Saprykin and some Western fans may underrate Pyatt. I believe both are very good young wingers.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 02-24-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old
02-24-2004, 11:41 AM
HuskyFlames

Both are the same age but Pyatt has played quite a bit more NHl games. He has played 83 more games, which is almost a full season more than Sappy. In those 83 more games he only has 10 more goals and 3 more assists. Sappy has been MUCH more productive than pyatt. Sappy is almost much more defensively sound. Sappy is also tied for his career high with quite a few games this season. This kid keeps getting better and better each season he plays with the Flames. Pyatt appears to have hit a plateau and isn't improving. I like Pyatt size but he has shown very little to be better while Sappy is improving each year and his defensive play has been great for a young offensive player.

Old
02-24-2004, 02:24 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Almost much more defensively sound? What in the hell does this mean?

I wouldn't trade Pyatt for Saprykin. Pyatt's defense is better, he's bigger and faster. The scoring will come and he's gettting more physical.

Old
02-24-2004, 02:38 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Almost much more defensively sound? What in the hell does this mean?

I wouldn't trade Pyatt for Saprykin. Pyatt's defense is better, he's bigger and faster. The scoring will come and he's gettting more physical.
Pyatt +/- ARE WAY worse than Sappy. Sappy is better defensively.

Old
02-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
So this is essentially Gauthier for Odelein, Saprykin for Jokinen. I'm not sure how Odelein is doing in FLA right now, so I dunno how fair the d-man swap would be. My gut tells me it wouldn't be good for Calgary. Saprykin for Jokinen is an outright STEAL for Calgary. Flames get a point producer that would tear it up alongside Iginla while the Panthers get a fiesty winger that's mainly an energy guy. Unless Dudley has another Jokinen up his sleeve somewhere, this doesn't happen.
Odelein has been an absolute beast lately. Ask anyone who has seen the Panthers play lately. With all the injuries, he was forced to play extra minutes and he has tuned up his game to match the ice time he has been given. I would do Gauthier for Odelein, but not Saprykin for Jokinen. Odelein has stated that he wouldn't mind a trade but he would like to come back to Florida in the off season, so I would do this trade for sure b/c we would get Gauthier for renting the Flames Odelein.

Old
02-24-2004, 03:49 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
DEAL.

Old
02-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Hextall27

Quote:

Ive still got faith in Pyatt but Im losing it fast. But people are reading to much into his size...He plays like hes 5'10"...doesnt pay the price to score, doesnt take penaltys, doesnt stick up for teammates, etc.. On occasion you'll see him do something physical but not enough as he should. The only real upside is the fact that he said he knows he needs to use his size. The Islanders screwed him up early by playing him in the NHL way too early. Maybe he can put it together but honestly Itll take years if ever. At the worst hes 30 pt guy with good defensive instincts.

Old
02-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

(you'll understand why when LALA responds)

Old
02-24-2004, 08:16 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
using +/- to assess a player's defensive abilities is a bad idea
mike modano is -17 right now

edit: oops, didn't see ruckus's reply

Closed Thread