HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Firesale confirmation?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 11:28 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Firesale confirmation?

I would realy love to believe everyone about this iminent NYR firesale...
But does anyone have a link to back it up? (or am I just 72 hours behind what everyone knows already?)

Old
02-23-2004, 11:30 PM
officeglen

You can either believe:
a) the Rangers will win all their remaining games, even though the games are not all against the Islanders,
b) the Rangers are out of it, and will build for the future.

Link will be the NHL Standings tomorrow. Edit to provide Rags quotes:

See: Montreal 4, NY Rangers 1
Quote:
"There can't be anybody in that room who doesn't know where we are,'' Rangers coach Glen Sather said. "It is the point now where we can't lose any more hockey games.''
"We obviously didn't have it the last two games,'' forward Bobby Holik said. "We didn't even come close to being competitive.''

Rangers fans booed struggling goaltender Mike Dunham early, then began chants of "Fire Sather!'' at the beleaguered coach and general manager.

Last edited by officeglen: 02-23-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old
02-23-2004, 11:32 PM
not quite yoda

Sorry but I don't take it. If it were that simple, they would have had a firesale last season and the season before that...

Old
02-23-2004, 11:32 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
You can either believe:
a) the Rangers will win all their remaining games, even though the games are not all against the Islanders,
b) the Rangers are out of it, and will build for the future.

Link will be the NHL Standings tomorrow.
Or:
c)the Rangers will keep doing what they're doing, hoping that adding more mercenaries will eventually lead them to glory.

Let's face it, with the Ranger's track record, I'll believe a rebuild when I see one.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Swervedriver

Send a message via MSN to Swervedriver
I think you're partially correct. There will be a firesale but not everyone will go.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:34 PM
rootin tootin

I don't have a link for you but I read John Davidson was told by Sather if the Rangers lost tonight, they would begin a firesale, if they won he would wait and see since this was a four point game against the 8th placed team.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:35 PM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Sorry but I don't take it. If it were that simple, they would have had a firesale last season and the season before that...
Good point, but I suspect that perhaps 7 seasons of missing the playoffs (it's been that long right?), will cause the Rangers to question whether or not it's worthwhile to pay out big bucks to guys like Leetch and Kovalev when they're not even making the playoffs.

That said, I haven't been able to understand Slats and the moves he's done for the Rangers since he became their GM... Maybe he isn't smart enough to realize that this approach isn't going to work.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Blackjack

Another thing to consider is that for the last two year the Rangers were in 9th place and nipping at the Islanders' heals until the last game of the season. This is the first time that they've really been out of it in Febuary let. Remember, they were buyers at the last two trade deadlines (Bure, Carter)

Old
02-23-2004, 11:50 PM
not quite yoda

You know what? I thought a long time ago that the Rangers weren't realy improving by adding big names. Then he added Kovalev. I thought the same thing given the results. Then he added Jagr (amongst others). I still think the same thing.

Sather is bound to realize at some point that bolstering his offence is not the solution. I figure he will just soon try to improve his starting goalie. Then he may add some defensive defencemen for next year.

A firesale is very possible and everyone seems to be ready to make proposals but I have yet to see tangible proof that it is on Sather' s mind.

Anybody out there?

Closed Thread