HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/11 remembrance

Old
09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
9/11 remembrance

7 years ago today the tragic events of 9/11 happened. I think we should take the time to remember those who lost their lives and all the military personnel who lost their lives fighting for this country. What were your feelings? I am in class now so I will write it later tonight. I just want to get a feel of what everyone was thinking on that fateful day.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-11-2008 at 10:21 AM.
ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
i was in science class and i remember them coming over the loud speaker saying a plane had hit the world trade center and i guess being young i didnt really know it wa sa terrorist thing or that it was so severe. I remember people joking saying things like "how the hell do you hit a building" because they thought it was by accident. A few hours later it because pretty obvious it was no joke. I remember i wasnt even aloud out of my house because my mom was so scared.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I was sitting in history class, my junior year of high school. My teacher anounced that the Trade Center had been hit, and they thought it might be a terrorist attack, but at the time I had no clue what the World Trade Center was. And I just remember going to my math class after that, and they had the TVs on and I saw the second plane crash. I guess I'm with CannonGoBoom on this one, when I say I didn't know the severity of the attacks back then, but I did know it was some scary ****.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I was sitting in history class, my junior year of high school. My teacher anounced that the Trade Center had been hit, and they thought it might be a terrorist attack, but at the time I had no clue what the World Trade Center was. And I just remember going to my math class after that, and they had the TVs on and I saw the second plane crash. I guess I'm with CannonGoBoom on this one, when I say I didn't know the severity of the attacks back then, but I did know it was some scary ****.
Huh?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i just remember being scared ****less because my sister worked at the World Financial Building (it was right next to the WTC; they were actually connected by a bridge over the street). i actually left the room to call my parents and i could see into all the adjacent class rooms. i just remember how surreal it was in school, where no one was doing anything in class except watching the news.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
mm6492

I was in grade school, and they wouldnt tell us what happened. people werw getting pulled out of class by there parents and all the teachers were in the hallway.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Spanish class for me. 2nd period. The teacher from the next room came in and said "put on the TV". Our teacher ran out of the room because her husband worked there, but he was fine. They let people who had cars leave before the buses and 4 people in my class asked me to drive them home, all of whom lived in different directions.

They also actually tried to continue teaching and we're like 'yeah forget it'

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:54 PM
IrishSniper87

The second week of school, Freshman Year, I was in Math class when they announced what happened, but it wasn't until English class later in the day that they realized it was a terrorist attack and that kids started leaving. I think it was 6th period and they didn't even try to teach, we all just watched the news.

I remember thinking at the time, "Wow, imagine what New York would be like without one of the towers." I didn't know they both came down at that point. I realized that the world is a messed up place ever since then.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
i was in 7th grade english class when it happened. After the principle told our teacher she put on the tv and that's when the 2nd plane hit. Our school kept telling the teachers not to turn the tv's on but they all knew teachers were going to.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Nicklas Lidstrom

I was in fifth grade. I lived in Detroit at the time. None of the teachers told us what was going on, and I found out when I went home. I really didn't care, and I just went in my room and played NHL98 or something... honestly. I was too young to care, I guess.

Nicklas Lidstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Huh?
I knew what the towers were, but never knew what they were called, believe it or not.

Old
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
tsquad

I was in 7th grade, 2nd period, Art class. My art teacher was a bit of a hippie, really into Native American culture and stuff. She was teaching us about how the eagle feather is holy, and it's really bad to let it touch the ground, and she had an eagle feather with her. Earlier, this girl Alexandra was called out of the classroom, and then they called our teacher out. She came in looking really somber, and I thought to myself, "Wow, she must've dropped the feather.." and then she read a little blue piece of paper detailing what happened. My friends and I all thought it was Saddam Hussein or Yasser Arafat, because those were the only "terrorists" we knew...although at the time, we didn't know if it was an accident or not, since only one tower was hit.

We got let out early, and I walked into my house, and saw my parents on the couch crying, and I saw on the TV, and remembered what those buildings were...my uncle worked in the South tower, and I started to cry. Thankfully, he escaped just before the tower fell (he was one of the people running in the street from the cloud) and made it to a ferry to Staten Island. Honestly, one of the worst days of my life, and I still can't watch TV specials on the dynamics of 9/11 or any of that...just stirs me up the wrong way, I get really uncomfortable and can't explain it. Sorry for the long post...my thoughts are with the families of those that lost family members that day, RIP

tsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

6th grade for me. Math class. Some kid just came in saying the Trade Centers had been hit and I am just like some of you others. I didnt know what they were. Never heard of them never really cared. Then when I got home, my parents were let go early from work and I remember turning on ever single channel and the only thing I saw was coverage on it. Being in sixth grade i was pissed off because i wanted to watch some cartoons or some of the shows I usually watch when I get done school. Now I realize the impact of the whole thing. I really feel bad now that I think about it.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Wow, you guys are making me feel old.

I was at work and went into a meeting with my manager. She told me that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre, that it was on TV in our lounge, and to check it out when we were finished. I, like most people I think, figured it was a small twin engine plane. By the time our meeting had finished, the 2nd plane had hit and we knew it wasn't an accident.

We were watching when the first tower came down, and I remember staring in disbelief and said a prayer for all those who died in that moment.

I neither lost a loved one, nor knew anyone directly affected, but my heart did and still does go out to those who did.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I was in my second year of university in Vancouver. My mom called me while I was still sleeping and she was crying so much I couldn't really understand her; she's originally from Upstate New York and we still have family scattered all over the state. I flipped on the tv and my roommates and I were totally stunned. One went to his first class that day, but the prof sent everyone home.

Everyone on campus was subdued for weeks after the attacks.

09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Charlie, I was just going to say....everyone's so young!

I had just finished working midnight shift and stopped by the ambulance hall (where I worked part time) on the way home. The first plane hit just as I walked in and I didnt leave for 4 hours. The only reason I did was I was asked to go on an EMS taskforce that was going up to NY and had to pack. I ended up not being able to go because my entire PD was put on "standby" and we weren't allowed to leave the area.

At the time, I was really angry I wasn't able to go, but understood that we had no idea where else was going to get targeted and what we might have to do.

I lost a couple highschool friends in the towers....and all the firemen...

To be honest, I don't even watch coverage anymore....

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Gert B Frobe

I was listening to Howard Stern making sales calls. I remember sitting in my car when the first reports were that a small plane had crashed into one of the towers. Howard was the first to call it a terrorist attack at that point and everybody on the show was going nuts with anger. When I see the video of those planes hitting the towers it still makes me so ****ing angry.

My folks were stuck in Germany for a while - everybody there was extremely kind to them and sympathetic.

My how things change.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
MsWoof

Add me to the list of those who feel ancient!

I took the day off work to take my dog to the vet and saw the tape of the hole from the first plane. Then I saw the second plane hit and even though I knew it was a different plane, it seemed so surreal I thought it was the first one.

When I was at the vet's, we were all talking about it and one woman who only knew about the first plane thought it was an accident. We told her a second plane hit and she realized it was no accident.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I was listening to Howard Stern making sales calls. I remember sitting in my car when the first reports were that a small plane had crashed into one of the towers. Howard was the first to call it a terrorist attack at that point and everybody on the show was going nuts with anger. When I see the video of those planes hitting the towers it still makes me so ****ing angry.

My folks were stuck in Germany for a while - everybody there was extremely kind to them and sympathetic.

My how things change.
Yeah I was listening to Howard Stern also, that and WIP. One day (actually it was the day before my birthday one year, that day being July 4th ironically) I listened to the entire Opie and Anthony audio as well. Eerie how it began and ended. It ended with them going to 1010 Winds, which they put on instead of commercials, and they were replaying some audio they had on the ground and it was basically some lady completely beside herself and in fear)

WIP replayed the audio a year later, and they were in the middle of talking to Pat Croce with Al Morganti breaking the news.

Last edited by GKJ: 09-11-2008 at 09:30 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I was right across the Hudson River that day. We were in town for a meeting with Excite@Home when they were ready to go bankrupt and were going to pull the plug on the @Home Cable Internet network. Anyways, we were supposed to go to the towers that day for a meeting and I slept in. Call me the luckiest S.O.B. in the world that day.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 12:28 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
I vividly remember it. It was the second week of my freshman year at PSU. I had English 110 (I'm pretty sure it was 110 that part I could be wrong about) at 915am, and being lazy I still hadn't bought all my text books so at about 9 o'clock I went to the school book store to get the book I need for english class that day, and I remember they had the radio on and they were talking about how a small plane had hit the World Trade Center. I remember thinking to my self I'm surpriesed someone with a small plane (I was picture sort of a signle seater type of plane) would fly through a city since building would be an obvious hazard. I remember feeling bad for them because at the time I though it was a silly error injugment had most likely cost them their life (since a small plane vs. building, the plane is pretty much going to lose that every time). I also hoped that the building was strong enough that everyone else in side is ok, but since they made it sound like it was a pretty small plane I wasn't particularly worried about it. So after I got my book I went right to class. In retrospect considering the timing of my class and when plane two hit I must have just missed hearing the second plane hit.

So I went to class pretty much as usual. The plane hitting the WTC was brought up be quickly for gotten because none of us knew it was any big deal at the time. Class ended around 10:30am. The was no annoucment because this is collage there is no pa system. My first year I was a commuter to save money, so I took the bus home. Typical for when I left at that time of day no one else was really on the bus and I read the paper on my way home. It was actually pretty peaceful, and seemed like a pretty normal (even good day). When I got home I pretty much had forgotten about the plane hitting the WTC. I got to the door, and started opening it up and my Mom comes running at me crying and hugs me and says that God you're ok. At this point I'm just thinking 'what the f?'. By this time it was pretty much over (though no one knew that at the time) and I got it by all this information, some of which turned out to be untrue. In a lot of way it was just surreal, and it still is really. As I watched the replay in real time when I got home this morning (I'm working 3rd shift this week), and if anything it's even stranger watching it know knowing what was going on.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 12:30 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post

My how things change.
Ah another Howard fan. It's really eire listening to the play back of that show. I also have heard the replay of Bubba's show from that day (w/ their commentary), and it's amazing how about 30 seconds after the second plane hit one of the guys on his show (I think it was Brent) come right out and says it was bin laden. Though in retrospect was all probably should have seen that coming.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I vividly remember it. It was the second week of my freshman year at PSU. I had English 110 (I'm pretty sure it was 110 that part I could be wrong about) at 915am, and being lazy I still hadn't bought all my text books so at about 9 o'clock I went to the school book store to get the book I need for english class that day, and I remember they had the radio on and they were talking about how a small plane had hit the World Trade Center. I remember thinking to my self I'm surpriesed someone with a small plane (I was picture sort of a signle seater type of plane) would fly through a city since building would be an obvious hazard. I remember feeling bad for them because at the time I though it was a silly error injugment had most likely cost them their life (since a small plane vs. building, the plane is pretty much going to lose that every time). I also hoped that the building was strong enough that everyone else in side is ok, but since they made it sound like it was a pretty small plane I wasn't particularly worried about it. So after I got my book I went right to class. In retrospect considering the timing of my class and when plane two hit I must have just missed hearing the second plane hit.

So I went to class pretty much as usual. The plane hitting the WTC was brought up be quickly for gotten because none of us knew it was any big deal at the time. Class ended around 10:30am. The was no annoucment because this is collage there is no pa system. My first year I was a commuter to save money, so I took the bus home. Typical for when I left at that time of day no one else was really on the bus and I read the paper on my way home. It was actually pretty peaceful, and seemed like a pretty normal (even good day). When I got home I pretty much had forgotten about the plane hitting the WTC. I got to the door, and started opening it up and my Mom comes running at me crying and hugs me and says that God you're ok. At this point I'm just thinking 'what the f?'. By this time it was pretty much over (though no one knew that at the time) and I got it by all this information, some of which turned out to be untrue. In a lot of way it was just surreal, and it still is really. As I watched the replay in real time when I got home this morning (I'm working 3rd shift this week), and if anything it's even stranger watching it know knowing what was going on.
I watched the realtime last night too. I've seen so many replays of the crashes and the towers falling that it was just kind of like this moment in my mind, but going back and watching the entire thing happen from beginning to end just put in perspective how ****ed up it was. It got especially brutal when they were showing people carrying the jumpers, and when they were playing audio of all the firestations that were inside the buildings, and when you saw the towers go down it was heartbreaking knowing how many people were still inside. It's still surreal to look back and know that happened.

Old
09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

I saw the whole thing - I got off the subway in Union Sq at 9:05. Saw that one of the towers was on fire and headed downtown to get a closer look. By the time I'd reached SoHo I'd heard one someone's car radio that it was a suspected terrorist attack. I was still walking downtown when the first tower collapsed - I was totally dumbstruck, and everyone on the street immediately lost their ****. I had to keep heading towards the WTC because my wife worked further downtown, and I had just ran into her in TriBeCa when the second tower collapsed. For some reason everyone around us started shouting that a bomb had gone off, and people were running around all over the place. It was a crazy and terrible day.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
I saw the whole thing - I got off the subway in Union Sq at 9:05. Saw that one of the towers was on fire and headed downtown to get a closer look. By the time I'd reached SoHo I'd heard one someone's car radio that it was a suspected terrorist attack. I was still walking downtown when the first tower collapsed - I was totally dumbstruck, and everyone on the street immediately lost their ****. I had to keep heading towards the WTC because my wife worked further downtown, and I had just ran into her in TriBeCa when the second tower collapsed. For some reason everyone around us started shouting that a bomb had gone off, and people were running around all over the place. It was a crazy and terrible day.
Steve, maybe you'll know the church I'm talking about in this....

A few months after 9/11, my husband and I went up with some friends. We went to Ground Zero, which was still being guarded by police. There were tons of memorials, but there was a specific one set up right at Ground Zero, for the police and firefighters...the general public wasn't allowed to it, but since we all had badges, they let us in. Really devastating...the whole thing. I have pictures of a Burger King that was spraypainted "Trauma Center", and everything was destroyed.

EXCEPT, there was this one church not far from Ground Zero. Every building around it had windows blown out, covered in dust....but not this church. I remember it being very small (for a NYC church) with a short, black, iron fence around it. The story is that when Mychal Judge, the FDNY Fire Chaplain that was the first firefighter killed when debris fell on him, was taken to this church by firefighters after he couldn't be revived. The firemen returned to the WTC to continue the rescue. Don't know if it's true, but either way, it's amazing this church was unscathed.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote