HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

9/11 remembrance

Old
09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Steve, maybe you'll know the church I'm talking about in this....

A few months after 9/11, my husband and I went up with some friends. We went to Ground Zero, which was still being guarded by police. There were tons of memorials, but there was a specific one set up right at Ground Zero, for the police and firefighters...the general public wasn't allowed to it, but since we all had badges, they let us in. Really devastating...the whole thing. I have pictures of a Burger King that was spraypainted "Trauma Center", and everything was destroyed.

EXCEPT, there was this one church not far from Ground Zero. Every building around it had windows blown out, covered in dust....but not this church. I remember it being very small (for a NYC church) with a short, black, iron fence around it. The story is that when Mychal Judge, the FDNY Fire Chaplain that was the first firefighter killed when debris fell on him, was taken to this church by firefighters after he couldn't be revived. The firemen returned to the WTC to continue the rescue. Don't know if it's true, but either way, it's amazing this church was unscathed.
Hmmm the only church I know around there is Trinity Church. It's a couple of blocks away on Broadway ... does this look like it?

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
Hmmm the only church I know around there is Trinity Church. It's a couple of blocks away on Broadway ... does this look like it?

Yes, that's it. And once you said "Trinity", I rememered that was the name of it.

Oh man...you just made me tear up and get goose bumps lookin' at it.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 09:52 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Yes, that's it. And once you said "Trinity", I rememered that was the name of it.

Oh man...you just made me tear up and get goose bumps lookin' at it.
Yeah that whole area gives me goosebumps nowadays.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:17 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I watched the realtime last night too. I've seen so many replays of the crashes and the towers falling that it was just kind of like this moment in my mind, but going back and watching the entire thing happen from beginning to end just put in perspective how ****ed up it was. It got especially brutal when they were showing people carrying the jumpers, and when they were playing audio of all the firestations that were inside the buildings, and when you saw the towers go down it was heartbreaking knowing how many people were still inside. It's still surreal to look back and know that happened.
I know what you mean, it really is like replaying memories. The other thing that I find really crazy is, now I could be wrong about this, but about 2 or 3 minuets before the second plane hits I would swear you can see it flying in the background of a the shot where they're showing the fire from the first plane. Even though if someone had seen it, and known what was going on at that point it would have been to late to do anything I still always want to warn them and say don't you see it coming.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 05:56 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
wing fan here,

I was 1 minute away from leaving Spanish class when the teacher turned on the TV about a hour after everything started. I could not see it that well so didnt care what was going on. I saw the building smoking, figured it was some stupid building that had a bomb go off or something. Less then 2 minutes after when i got to Math class, i sat down and never looked away from the TV. I rushed to the lunch room just to watch it. We all in school watched it for a few days.. my dad actually ended up working a 20 hour shift because he thought the bridge or tunnel from Detroit to windsor was going to get bombed.

Horrendous times those were.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:22 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Howard Stern's show from that day is amazing.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote