HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton orr

Old
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
cashman rules*

vCash: 500
Colton orr

I was checking out what you ranger fans want for line combo's this season and i see no love for orr whatsoever.Not sure why but you know what happens to your team when he isn't in the lineup during the regular season.Do you think voros can handle the big boys in the league? Nope he can't and yes he's game but thats about it,I'm a big orr fan and enjoy watching the rangers only when he's in the lineup,so lets all hope he plays mostly every game and is not in the press box.

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 09-16-2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: removed offensive material
cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Eurotrash = ???

Voros and Rissmiller are N.A.

Orr is a weapon that can be deployed by Renney when he sees fit. I think the idea the Rangers had going into the offseason was finding a little more offense on that fourth line than what theyve gotten in the past with the Hollweg/Orr combo.

Especially given the amount of goals they scored last year - they need a few more goals from that line to help out in that department.

Voros, Rissmiller and Sjostrom could supply that. maybe not immensely - but a little boost. Orr has raised his game the last season or two no doubt about that and I'm also a big fan of his. I've met him a few times and hes a really nice dude, but I see a revolving door down on the 4th this year.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Eurotrash = ???

Voros and Rissmiller are N.A.

Orr is a weapon that can be deployed by Renney when he sees fit. I think the idea the Rangers had going into the offseason was finding a little more offense on that fourth line than what theyve gotten in the past with the Hollweg/Orr combo.

Especially given the amount of goals they scored last year - they need a few more goals from that line to help out in that department.

Voros, Rissmiller and Sjostrom could supply that. maybe not immensely - but a little boost. Orr has raised his game the last season or two no doubt about that and I'm also a big fan of his. I've met him a few times and hes a really nice dude, but I see a revolving door down on the 4th this year.
Yes i know where the 2 are from and i hate seeing him loose out thats for sure.I would love to meet the guy.Has orr beefed up at all?

Old
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Black Tank

If Orr shows even the slightest improvement in his skating or defensive responsibilities, he'll get his share of playing time. Unfortunately for him there's a lot of bodies in training camp but that can only be good for the team.

In Orr's favor, he's earned the trust of Renney and the staff and they know he just simply does not take bad penalties or regularly make defensive mistakes. And best of all, unlike too many other heavyweights these days, Orr won't hesitate to drop the gloves.

I think the goals-from-the-fourth-line experiment may come to an early conclusion if 1) guys like Voros or Riismiller don't put numbers that make a difference; or

2) if the Rangers get railroaded by second tier goons like they did before Orr began getting regular shifts and rearranged Fedoruk's brains.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
eco's bones

I like him as a fighter. I like his discipline. He's worked hard at not being a defensive liability--but for all that his skating is an issue. And the Rangers have a number of 3rd and 4th liners and a kid like Korpikoski might get nudged out as well because we have too many of them. You do need a guy who can throw them. I'm not sure he needs to play every game though.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Orr is a necessity in this lineup unless Voros or Jamtin can prove they can make a difference. Korps would rot on the 4th line and shouldn't be on this team until he's getting regular shifts on the 3rd line at least. Orr proved to be defensively responsible last year and was not a cause of concern. He's not the fastest skater on the team, but then again, we don't pay him to be. He's paid to be a "presence" on the ice. If he's dressed, then other teams know there could be ramifications for their actions. You just need to look at the Capitals game a few years ago when after Shanny fought Brashear and Brashear suckered Aaron Ward, Colton went right after AO. I could see a 4th line of Betts-Orr and then a rotation of Riss, Voros, Jamtin, Nedved(OK, I was just checking to see if anyone was reading that last part... ha ha)

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
ogie

i think euro trash would mean peter prucha

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i think euro trash would mean peter prucha
see, i thought it was referring to Jamtin... although Prucha, Sjo, Rosey, Naslund, Zherdev, Lundqvist all fit the bill too.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I'm a huge Orr fan too. What's not to like about a guy that will defend himself, and teammates at the drop of a dime? Being a fight fan I followed Orr's career back from AHL days. I knew this guy had heavy hands back then, and when he broke into the league IMO he didn't dissapoint. I basically appreciate all of the guys that play the role of enforcer. But some way more than others. In the case of Orr, not only becuase he is a NY Ranger, but...becuase he is an honest enforcer and abides by the code that most enforcers do. He's not going to take shots on a guy when he's down, or hurt. Ala say one Dale Purinton who was full of cheap shots, fake glove drops, and hits from behind!

On Orr's skating, yeah he is certainly lacking there. But as far as enforcers go I don't see his game as all that bad. Granted he has very limited if any offensive ability, but Renney uses him well. He is somewhat defensively responsible, and he throws the body well.

Of course having arguably the heaviest-handed enforcer in the game doesn't suck either! Orr has done more damage in his short three season span in the NHL than any other heavyweight out there. Boogaard maybe the excpetion, but for Orr he is the best enforcer the Rangers have employed since Joey Kocur. And in his short time here has has already broken more facial bones, TKO'd and KO'd more people than Kocur did in his term here. And he(Kocur) is largely considered the best one-punch KO artist the game has ever seen! Very impressive what Orr has accomplished in NY. I hope the Rangers keep him around for a long time!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:34 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Yes i know where the 2 are from and i hate seeing him loose out thats for sure.I would love to meet the guy.Has orr beefed up at all?

I personally met the guy. He's got a bit of size to him but not overdone. He came right up to us waiting to meet Ranger players when they were in Calgary after the afternoon skate. In fact the first person he came up to and greeted was my 3 year old son I was holding in my arms (so he could see everyone). Orr grabbed his hand and said "Hey there lil buddy, how's it goin?"

Got a picture with him while he was still sporting a shiner. To stand next to him and then think that he has gone toe to toe with Laraque - man he's a tough, ballsy dude.

edit: yes I think Orr should be kept around, his trade is needed on NHL teams.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
My lineup would include Orr. Everything I've read on Jamtin and seen of Voros indicates that while they'll fight, they're not heavyweights. Orr has improved his game a tremendous deal over the past two seasons, to the point where he is no longer a major liability defensively.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
NYR Viper

i think orr should play quite a few games.....but if shanahan signs, then i think his minutes will get cut because a player like sjostrom, rissmiller or voros will need minutes as well

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I love Orr, and he's needed. Our team as it stands is very very small, and will get pushed around without a guy like Orr ready to smash their face in.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
cashman rules*

Thanks for the responses guy's.I feel the love for him a bit better thats for sure .lbrowne,that must have been awesome to meet him for sure.I have a providence game worn jersey of orr's in my bruin shrine

Old
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
shoothepuck

He's a heavyweight, and he has improved, but he still is very limited. If Tom uses him in the right situations he'll do fine. If he could score like Joey Kocur, then he'd really be in the line-up every night.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
If only we could have a team of only Orr's and none of that euro trash garbage. Ideally our lines would look something like this:

Orr-Orr-Orr
Orr-Orr-Orr
Orr-Orr-Orr
Orr-Orr-Orr

Orr-Orr
Orr-Orr
Orr-Orr

Orr & Orr

If only we could get a little more Orr in the line up, the Stanley Cup would be ours.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
...but for Orr he is the best enforcer the Rangers have employed since Joey Kocur.
Darren Langdon didn't nearly have the hands of Kocur or Orr, but he was one of the best ever in terms of smarts & stamina. Different style, but very effective.

I too have a soft spot for most of the Ranger heavyweights since Nick Fotiu. But sadly, fighting has been regulated to a sideshow in NHL during the Bettman era. Whereas it was once integral to a team's fate and added drama to the NHL game, it really doesn't matter that much anymore. I think Orr would have been a huge Ranger hero had he played 10 or 20 years ago.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 03:39 AM
The Thomas J.*

As far as Orrs over all game goes it's not going to get much better, the fact that he has gotten as far as he has in the NHL is a credit to his drive & the Ranger coaching staff. Orr needs to know his role is a fighter/enforcer first hockey player second.

It would drive me crazy to see Renney sending Orr & Hollweg out there for a regular shift night after night, I don't wanna see it again.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Chris 84

Oh man. Listen, I like Orr as a guy but I want him away from our line-up. His one clear skill is fighting and for me that's someone you don't want in your team. Sure, he'll work hard, well, so would I if I played for the Rangers. He's simply not a good enough hockey player.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
Oh man. Listen, I like Orr as a guy but I want him away from our line-up. His one clear skill is fighting and for me that's someone you don't want in your team. Sure, he'll work hard, well, so would I if I played for the Rangers. He's simply not a good enough hockey player.
Um pretty much every successful team has a good enforcer. See Wings, Pens, Caps, etc.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:06 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Um pretty much every successful team has a good enforcer. See Wings, Pens, Caps, etc.
Aaron Downey?

The interesting thing about fighters/enforcers is that fans will like the designated season's fighter, whomever it is. None are disliked. Even Purinton was loved until he played his way off the team.

To have one with at least a minimum of skill is a good thing. Otherwise they are interchangeable and virtually worthless because of it.

Used to be that almost all fighters could play hockey. Now there are very few. That is the real reason they are dinosaurs dying off.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Aaron Downey?

The interesting thing about fighters/enforcers is that fans will like the designated season's fighter, whomever it is. None are disliked. Even Purinton was loved until he played his way off the team.

To have one with at least a minimum of skill is a good thing. Otherwise they are interchangeable and virtually worthless because of it.

Used to be that almost all fighters could play hockey. Now there are very few. That is the real reason they are dinosaurs dying off.
In my NHL 09 game Orr got waived and the Rangers picked up Aaron Downey...

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Janssen25

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
In my NHL 09 game Orr got waived and the Rangers picked up Aaron Downey...
Well your NHL 09 game is completely retarded.

Its amazing Rags fans don't want him in the line-up. Stick him on the 4th line wing. He's not a terrible player and he's a top 5 fighter in the league.

Janssen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssen25 View Post
Well your NHL 09 game is completely retarded.

Its amazing Rags fans don't want him in the line-up. Stick him on the 4th line wing. He's not a terrible player and he's a top 5 fighter in the league.
I dont think youll find an abundance of fans who dont want him in the lineup. Its because there are so many depth guys right now, and some of them will be rotating on the 4th line, Orr included.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont think youll find an abundance of fans who dont want him in the lineup. Its because there are so many depth guys right now, and some of them will be rotating on the 4th line, Orr included.
Orr or Voros will get the last spot on the 4th line.......it's a battle in camp..........Rissmiller is the utility man for me.............if Betts goes down which happened alot last yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote