Notices

Time to dump some veterans???

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Gordon Howe is #1

vCash: 500
Time to dump some veterans???

I am really getting tired of seeing the old guys taking up the ice time. Why not use our drafted players now that we are out the the playoff hunt? I am almost as mad with that as I am with the neutral zone trap, will Lemaire ever retire?

Old
02-24-2004, 12:42 AM
DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Howe is #1
I am really getting tired of seeing the old guys taking up the ice time. Why not use our drafted players now that we are out the the playoff hunt? I am almost as mad with that as I am with the neutral zone trap, will Lemaire ever retire?
I don't think the style of play will change when JL is dead and buried to be honest.

Loyalty, schmoyalty, it is time to trade the "vets that got us into the playoffs last year"? Will it happen, not likely. It seems DR and JL like to be super loyal to guys that work hard but that don't really have anything to offer. If we don't watch ourselves, we could actually earn the title of being just like the Florida expansion model. It's time to get some good young players here, enough with the waiver picks and second/third chancers. Great stories and all, but none will become more then 3rd-4th line checkers with little or no scoring ability.

If the young guys fail, so be it. We already know the outcome of the players we have right now.

Old
02-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Don't you think if the young guys looked better than the vets in practice that they'd be playing? They must be playing the vets for a reason - Scary thought, but it may be that some of these young guys aren't as good as we hope they are.

I just wish they'd sent Burns back, and Bouchard was a rookie this season. There's something to be said for playing actual games in the development of any player.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:56 AM
vikingforlife

Quote:

Acually the wild are not that old, Gaborik, Dupius, Burns, P.M.B., Eric and Mark Chiarond, Shueltz, Mitchell, Henry are all young, there older players are not that old except for 3 or 4 players. You don't win in this league with rookies, like this year, next year if there is a next year, you will see some of the vets gone. With Marc C. playing so good all year and Dan Chavanah in the minors, Mikko Kuivo coming over Jim Dowd wont be on this team, I think Finally Klye Wanvig will be given a chance to play every day. The "D" could also change next year with brown and bomber being gone next year, maybe Mikiluk or rietz will be up here but thats alot of young d-men. Lemaire knows what he's doing, i can't say the same for D.R. Sorry for the bad spelling

Old
02-24-2004, 05:53 PM
DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Don't you think if the young guys looked better than the vets in practice that they'd be playing?
To be honest, no I don't. DR and JL were committing to the players (vets) that had help make a great playoff run before preseason had started. And they both have stated that the young guys would have to be better then the vets to make the team. To me, they committed to this team to try and see if they could maintain the success of the previous season.

Right now Wanvig has looked better then most players on this team? His reward, just go sit there in Houston and wait your turn. Has he played well for more then a handful of games? No, but he earned his time to be here and he got the "your the person I want to move down, because it's the easiest thing to do so I don't have to make a decision on the fringe players so I want to give them the extra chances instead."

Just venting for a less then enjoyable week! :mad: :p

Old
02-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Gordon Howe is #1

It may be true that the vets are better than the young guys right now, but if I am going to pay to watch a losing team, I want there to be hope for the future. I would pay to see a guy like Zherdev go end to end all game like he did in the Young Guns game and lose than watch Daigle (who at one time in Ottawa I enjoyed watching when they were losing) do the same thing. The excitement of the playoffs makes up for a boring season with veterans, but if we aren't gonna make the playoff push by adding anything, why not dump for some young boys?

Old
02-24-2004, 11:15 PM
jacketracket*

Slightly OT, but still kind of relevant to the topic and tone of the thread.

Why isn't PM Bouchard getting more ice time? I've heard so much about his potential, but he doesn't seem to get much play.

I know he's smallish---is he considered a defensive liability?

Old
02-25-2004, 08:44 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
To be honest, no I don't. DR and JL were committing to the players (vets) that had help make a great playoff run before preseason had started. And they both have stated that the young guys would have to be better then the vets to make the team. To me, they committed to this team to try and see if they could maintain the success of the previous season.

I totally agree with you here. Its a loyalty thing with Lemaire and his older players. Especially with Dowd and Bombadir. Both of these guys played for Lemaire before. I hope to hell that DR is working the phones and trying to move some of these guys, for the future of this team. We defiantly don't want to end up like the Florida Panthers.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Surly Furious

Let me rephrase my question: who do you think suits up every night for the Wild? Those who have the most talent, or those who are most prepared physically and mentally? I know Lemaire shows a certain loyalty to the vets, but I'm equally sure each of those vets have earned that loyalty through LOTS of hard work. Gabby became a regular right away in part because he had less competition, and also supreme skills, but he was also commended right away for his work ethic; Bouchard has been on the receiving end of a few barbs from Lemaire about that. No doubt he has the skills, but could it be possible that he isn't applying himself as hard as he might? I don't know, but there is that possibility. Maturity can have a lot to do with how these guys approach their jobs, and it's not hard to imagine 18 and 19 year olds having other things on their minds. I'm confident that the guys who suit up for the Wild have earned their ice time.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:51 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Let me rephrase my question: who do you think suits up every night for the Wild? Those who have the most talent, or those who are most prepared physically and mentally? I know Lemaire shows a certain loyalty to the vets, but I'm equally sure each of those vets have earned that loyalty through LOTS of hard work. Gabby became a regular right away in part because he had less competition, and also supreme skills, but he was also commended right away for his work ethic; Bouchard has been on the receiving end of a few barbs from Lemaire about that. No doubt he has the skills, but could it be possible that he isn't applying himself as hard as he might? I don't know, but there is that possibility. Maturity can have a lot to do with how these guys approach their jobs, and it's not hard to imagine 18 and 19 year olds having other things on their minds. I'm confident that the guys who suit up for the Wild have earned their ice time.

All very good points. I'd pretty much agree with everything you said.

Old
02-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
All very good points. I'd pretty much agree with everything you said.
I think it is agreed, that I agree with your agreeance just kidding...

SELL! SELL! SELL!

Old
02-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
"your the person I want to move down, because it's the easiest thing to do so I don't have to make a decision on the fringe players so I want to give them the extra chances instead."
This is what I hate about the business the most, but totally understand. If someone is playing better than a vet, in all logic, they should play. Not the way most coaches do it, especially JL, but there should be more incentive for playing well at a young age. Look at Kyle Wanvig. Kyle should be at the NHL level IMO. Mistakes, schmistakes...young players make mistakes. Last year was an ABERRATION and has put too much pressure on the organization to win too soon. Young guys should be playing on a 3 1/2 year old franchise, not muckers and grinders, especially when they are out of the playoff race ...*breath* sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Old
02-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
Last year was an ABERRATION and has put too much pressure on the organization to win too soon. Young guys should be playing on a 3 1/2 year old franchise, not muckers and grinders, especially when they are out of the playoff race ...*breath* sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Well dammit, I'll agree with you here

Old
03-04-2004, 03:26 AM
Gordon Howe is #1

a few good moves...

I am glad to see we have started to move some players, I am a little leary of draft picks though, being so far from playing in the league. It's time to think about the future, but not like the Panthers, I think we are in for a couple lousy years with what we got right now. One more top 5 pick and we are looking good, but that's gonna take a terrible year. What do you all think, up or down in terms of record next year???

Old
03-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Surly Furious

Quote:
I am glad to see we have started to move some players, I am a little leary of draft picks though, being so far from playing in the league. It's time to think about the future, but not like the Panthers, I think we are in for a couple lousy years with what we got right now. One more top 5 pick and we are looking good, but that's gonna take a terrible year. What do you all think, up or down in terms of record next year???
Well if we purge all the vets, it will definitely be DOWN next year. So far they haven't cut enough to have much effect. If they hang on the the core, I'd expect slightly better results next season, perhaps a winning record, probably not playoffs.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
ceber

I think we'll be up next year. I'm also expecting to have a very solid shot at the playoffs, and can state right now that I'll be fairly disappointed if we aren't seriously in the hunt at this same point next season.

Old
03-04-2004, 03:07 PM
DW

I'm going to go with the wait and see method here. I want to see which direction the Wild head next season. If they don't make another deal, this team should be hovering around playoff contention. If they move some more players and give meaningful time to some of there younger players, chances are likely they'll make mistakes and the record will be about the same as this year. There will still be some talent left that will steal away games IMO.

I won't be disappointed if they make the latter move. I may get frustrated with the play some nights but I do that now. If they stick with virtually the same roster, I would be disappointed a little. I just don't want to see this team sticking around that 8,9,10 playoff spot for the next few years.

Hopefully the CBA will get done in time so we can actually see what happens next season.

Closed Thread